For those that do - what US Brand of disinfecting wipes/hand sanitizer do you bring?

UmaDaughterOfUrsula

CVS has a new product that is effective against 99.9% of bugs "Advanced antiseptic hand sanitizer." It comes as instant spray- 9 ml perfect for pocket, or instant foaming, a bit bigger 50 mi. Have ready for all Christmas stockings to get thru holidays and airports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

From reading CC, I discovered a brand that may work on Noro Virus. I also googled and found another brand. This is what I ordered for my next cruise:

Clorox CLO 02174 Bleach-Free Hand Sanitizer, 2.0 FL OZ, (4-Pack), Contains Hand Moisturizers, Alcohol-Based

"Clorox hand sanitizing spray was tested and shown to kill 99.3% of the norovirus surrogate Feline Calicivirus."

Germstar Noro 8ml Spray Pen (12/case)

"The company Germstar® has specifically designed a hand sanitizer that kills norovirus. It's active ingredient is 63% ethanol."

Since I'm far more likely to remember to use something with a good scent, I always travel with an assortment of the pocket-pac hand sanitizers from Bath & Body Works. I often end up sharing with folks, because they'll say "Oh, that smells good -- what is it?":D

From reading CC, I discovered a brand that may work on Noro Virus. I also googled and found another brand. This is what I ordered for my next cruise:

Clorox CLO 02174 Bleach-Free Hand Sanitizer, 2.0 FL OZ, (4-Pack), Contains Hand Moisturizers, Alcohol-Based

"Clorox hand sanitizing spray was tested and shown to kill 99.3% of the norovirus surrogate Feline Calicivirus."

Germstar Noro 8ml Spray Pen (12/case)

"The company Germstar® has specifically designed a hand sanitizer that kills norovirus. It's active ingredient is 63% ethanol."

I ordered this from Amazon... it took a long time to arrive, but looks like it works against norovirus, which is the most important to me... and never ending handwashing as well! Always wipe down any surface in the cabin that might harbor germs. Never gotten sick, so will hope what I'm doing keeps working!

It always seemed when we traveled we ended up getting a cold within two days. I think it was caused by the confines in the cabin of the airplane.

We started driving to the ports. Wiped down everything with wipes when we got into our cabin. Still got colds in the first two days

Lately we still drive to the port, don’t use any wipes and haven’t got any colds but do take some Airborne when we feel like we are on the verge of getting one.

Happy cruising and merry Christmas 🌊🛳🇺🇸🌅🎄

We buy the Zoono GF24 ULTRA. It's baby version was recommended on another thread. I contacted the company and the CEO responded with the following (I have no stake in this company):

-------

We have recently done some studies with the actual Human Norovirus (not a surrogate) with a company that has recently also done a massive CruiseLine Industry assessment of hand sanitizers (Norocore is the company name). They ran our regular GermFree24 and our ULTRA GF24 Hospital Grade (70% alcohol) through the same test.

If norovirus is your target pathogen, the ULTRA product was a "lights out" performer….. I can’t tell you how the other products did as this was data only for the cruise line industry who paid for the data but ours was at the very top….. (off the record of course)…. It was statistically superior to the control product ethyl alcohol – which as you know is the base active for most hand sanitizers….. I think the reason ours did so well is that it contains three ingredients that work synergistically:70% ethyl alcohol and Benzalkonium Chloride (BZK) work together to deliver an effective immediate kill and another quatenary ammonium chloride to impart the barrier of protection that delivers persistent efficacy.

We also did testing against a broad range of pathogens with the ULTRA product and it delivered a 5 and 6 log reduction against a spectrum of bacteria and fungi.

To answer your question: there are two parts to our product efficacy: immediate kill (GF24 kills with BZK and ULTRA kills with 70% alcohol AND BZK) and both then have a persistent efficacy that is delivered by the other quatenary ammonium chloride that is the “pins” that continue to work after the immediate kill product stop working.

SO, germs are not repelled, they are killed. Either immediately with BZK, alcoholand BZK, or impaled on the protective barrier of nanomolecular ‘pins’ that are left behind once the product dries.

Technicality: viruses are said to be inactivated rather than killed…. Virus are technically not living organisms and so not subject to death.

Not to drone on but what you are really looking to do is to break the cycle of infection because you can’t kill all the germs all the time. What you want to do is to put major barriers into the transmission path that will effectively stop the transmission and acquisition of the pathogen. To do this you need to make sure your hands are clean and hygienic, your keep them away from your face but also, have a persistently efficacious barrier on hands (and ideally surfaces) that will not allow those surfaces to harbor and be a vector of transmission (like serving spoons on buffet lines on cruise ships)

All you can do is make sure your hands are as clean and protected as they can be –that is why a persistently effective sanitizer like GermFree24 is truly abetter answer to hand hygiene preservation.

I recommend the GF24 ULTRA if you are going on a cruise simply based on the wonderful lab data we have seen. But, they are both great product for breaking that cycle of infection……

You may also want to consider a new product (to me anyway) called "Nano Pure". They claim that one treatment (a spray that looks and feels like water) every 24 hours is as effective (99.99%) as 1,000 treatments of "leading alcohol based sanitizers". We used it for the first time during our 12 day Silhouette cruise a few weeks ago. As with any type of product that claims to "prevent" something there is no way to know if it worked, or if we just never came in contact with any evil doers. In any case, we got home healthy. Below is a link to their website where it explains how it works and where it can be purchased.

https://www.mynano.com/

For in our cabin we bring Lysol/Clorox wipes and a spray can of either and then Any quality brand of hand sanitizer.

Cabin gets a good wipe down on hard surfaces and phones remotes etc a lite spray mist.

Overkill maybe but im OCD :p

You may also want to consider a new product (to me anyway) called "Nano Pure". They claim that one treatment (a spray that looks and feels like water) every 24 hours is as effective (99.99%) as 1,000 treatments of "leading alcohol based sanitizers". We used it for the first time during our 12 day Silhouette cruise a few weeks ago. As with any type of product that claims to "prevent" something there is no way to know if it worked, or if we just never came in contact with any evil doers. In any case, we got home healthy. Below is a link to their website where it explains how it works and where it can be purchased.

https://www.mynano.com/

It does sound promising. Did you order it direct from company or buy it at a retailer?

Thanks!

Zylast hand sanitizer. http://www.supplyurneeds.com/zylast.html

It can be purchased on Amazon as well as other places. I absolutely love that they sell a lotion product that is not alcohol-based, saving my poor hands from the chapping and cracking associated with other products.

Regardless, we are avid hand-washers as a first and primary defense, and avoid, whenever possible, "germ magnets" such as elevator buttons, handrails, etc. We also use antiseptic products after handling buffet tools, menus, condiments, etc.

I don't think it is OCD at all to ensure you try to keep your environment and hands clean and free of germs that could potentially ruin your cruise.

Even though soap and water is best, it is not always practical. Face it, you handle menus and pull in your chair ... you need to have a good quality hand sanitizer ready for before you touch your food.

I do use the Clorox wipes or the small bottle of Lysol spray for in my room and I go through all the highly touched items every couple of days.

We are also fans of the new CVS product which is actually based on the formula developed by Zoono (a New Zealand company) and used in many parts of the world (the FDA is still investigating the safety and efficacy of the product's main ingredient). What makes this product somewhat different is its use of Benzolkonium Chloride....which is one of the very few chemicals proven very effective against Norovirus. Most alcohol-based sanitizers have little to no effectiveness against Noro. The CVS product is called "Advanced Antiseptic Hand Sanitizer) and we like the instant foaming 1.7 oz version. If its in stock it is usually near the other hand sanitizers. This product has another interesting facet in that its supposed to be effective for about 24 hours. Since it has very little alcohol it does not dry our skin like Purell.

Hank

It does sound promising. Did you order it direct from company or buy it at a retailer?

Thanks!

From Amazon; we have not seen it at any of the retailers mentioned at their website, but never looked before ordering from the great river company.

I also use one of the ones that TNcruising02 mentioned:

I have been able to order it from Amazon in the past. It's a liquid, not a gel, so not as easy. But as that poster stated, it appears to be nicely effective on norovirus

We just got off the Reflection 2 weeks after the big sickness.

We took, Clorox wipes, baby wipes, anti-bacterial soap and disinfectant spray.

No, I don't think it's being OCD, it's being careful !

At every location on the ship there is sanatizing stations and an attendant at the entrance to the buffet, you would not believe the dining habits of some cruisers, touching food with their hands, putting their nose/mouth close to food, nasty.

Be safe and be careful.

Even though soap and water is best, it is not always practical. Face it, you handle menus and pull in your chair .

Pulling in that chair is always a issue with me. I wonder if they ever wipe off those chair rails. The other is the salt and pepper shakers on the table.

Then in the buffet you can use the tongs and spoons to get something but where were the person’s hands before you? Also getting those lids or paper cups for coffee, how many did they touch to get one, and etc.

People get into or walk out of a elevator and cough without covering their mouth, or sit down next to you in the theater or at a bar with a cold and start talking to you or cough in your direction. It can go on and on.

Happy cruising and merry Christmas 🌊🛳🇺🇸🌅🎄

I had never seen cruise passengers so worried, especially against NORO. In the last cruises I have only carried the hand disinfectant in gel. Now I will complete it with wet towels Lysol or Clorox are good options available in any store. These will be used to clean the phone, door handles, bathroom, etc. With a double cleaning they can be 100% effective