Security really missed on this cruise....Airport and RCCL...Kinda Scary

Heatherco

So we just got off Freedom yesterday. ( can see my mini review on other post).

I did want to mention, however, that both airport security as well as RCCL missed an item that was in my husbands bag that absolutely should not have gotten through.

We arrived on the ship and went to unpack. My husband was using a carry on bag he had not used since he went on a boating and fishing trip last summer. He must not have checked all the pockets before packing because as he is taking stuff out to put away he reaches into one of the pockets and goes " holy crap" look what is in here and didn't get picked up through any security.

It was a four inch long fishing/ hunting knife. We are not talking a small Swiss pocketknife. FIrst, I don't know how the heck he didn't see it when he was packing, but what is more scary is neither did any security. This was in his carry on bag.

Just kind of scary because it shows our nations' security has some serious flaws in it.

But it is good they took my daughters small trial size hairspray!🤣🤣🤣

I did want to mention, however, that both airport security as well as RCCL missed an item that was in my husbands bag that absolutely should not have gotten through.

We arrived on the ship and went to unpack. My husband was using a carry on bag he had not used since he went on a boating and fishing trip last summer. He must not have checked all the pockets before packing because as he is taking stuff out to put away he reaches into one of the pockets and goes " holy crap" look what is in here and didn't get picked up through any security.

It was a four inch long fishing/ hunting knife. We are not talking a small Swiss pocketknife. FIrst, I don't know how the heck he didn't see it when he was packing, but what is more scary is neither did any security. This was in his carry on bag.

Just kind of scary because it shows our nations' security has some serious flaws in it.

But it is good they took my daughters small trial size hairspray!🤣🤣🤣

You should alert the authorities with the info on this (airport, time, etc). They might be able to track down who was in charge at the time. But in the end these are govt workers. Some will be great and some will just be there for govt pay and benefits. Sad.

You should alert the authorities with the info on this (airport, time, etc). They might be able to track down who was in charge at the time. But in the end these are govt workers. Some will be great and some will just be there for govt pay and benefits. Sad.

I’m not a government worker. Made 6 figures. Went to college. Made mistakes in life and at work. Wasn’t perfect. Only 1 person I’m aware of that was perfect and look what happened to Him.

OP, yes, if you want to take the time you could report this to TSA so they can use this as a learning experience

The TSA is so busy searching grandmas and 6 year olds they don’t pay any attention to anything else.

My wife still gets pissed as what happened in San Juan airport some years ago. Actually it happened twice. I got thru security unscathed, but my 85 year old M ***** and wife got selected for add'l security check. To this day, I still laugh about it.:D

I nearly missed a flight once when I was traveling alone with 3 kids- all under the age of 5. They had tested my hands and found "explosive material" on them. I had to be questioned in a small room (with all 3 kids) with 3 different TSA guards. I had to have the big pat-down.

Turns out, it was glycerin in my hand lotion, which is a very common ingredient in lotion. Mistakes happen! Then you have emotional support dogs attacking children on planes... ugh...

I've regularly travelled with a 6 inch titanium dive knife on cruises for the past 20 years...never a problem. As for TSA, stuff gets missed. Nothing new there.

Yeah, I don’t think it is a problem in a checked bag, and on the cruise ship they will give you a steak knife. I think it could be used as a lethal weapon, the steak knife that is. So a 4inch blade is not like a Samurai sword.

JC

About 5 years ago I was going through TSA at an airport and my carryon got flagged. The TSA woman asked if I had any weapons, I said no. Then she puts on some gloves, reached into my bag and pulled out a steak knife. There were a bunch of people around staring. I was so embarrassed. That particular bag was one that I often used to carry my laptop/gym clothes/lunch to work. Obviously I didn't clear out all of the pockets and forgot about the silverware I had in there from my lunch the day prior.

Needless to say, I always double and triple check to make sure I have no contraband after that ordeal. Thankfully they just took the knife and sent me on my way. But of course, she had to make a big stink about it first to humiliate me. Which I deserved.

TSA checks are like most safety / security measures. They are there to give the appearance that they are doing something and to keep honest people honest. The scans and checks are usually cursory, at best. I have forgotten and left larger bottles of liquids in my carry on several times and never been questioned or even had them check the bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I nearly missed a flight once when I was traveling alone with 3 kids- all under the age of 5. They had tested my hands and found "explosive material" on them. I had to be questioned in a small room (with all 3 kids) with 3 different TSA guards. I had to have the big pat-down.

Turns out, it was glycerin in my hand lotion, which is a very common ingredient in lotion. Mistakes happen! Then you have emotional support dogs attacking children on planes... ugh...

I had almost the same thing happen to me when flying to Ft Lauderdale to go on Allure. My local airport, Rochester NY had me go through the body scan as I have 2 artificial knees. For some reason, unknown to me, I then had to have a pat down. After that, I had to have my hands wiped. I have had all this happen at airports many times, so I wasn't the least bit concerned.

When the TSA woman put the material in the scanner, the alarm went off. That has never happened before. I was told I needed further screening. Now, keep in mind, I had already been patted down from head to toe. The TSA employee was going to do it there and I said no way. I don't know what else you are going to do, but it is not going to be out here with hundreds, ok a bit of an exaggeration, watching me. I was taken to a small room and an additional TSA female went in too.

Once again, I was patted down, with concentration on my boobs and back and all the rest of my body short of an inner cavity check. Once again, there was the hand wipe. I waited and asked what will happen if the alarm goes off again? The TSA helper couldn't answer. After a couple of minutes, the original TSA employee came back saying all was good.

I asked what would have set that off? She said probably hand lotion. I told her I had just used hand lotion, Lordy, it's winter here in NY and really cold, so I use it every day. Now I know, next January I won't use the lotion and hopefully will only end up with the body scan and one pat down.

I believe it is Port security not RCCL that scans carry-on and checked luggage as well as conducting the scans of passengers.

Last year I almost didn’t go on my Allure cruise because of the cremation urn necklace my 16 year old grandson had with my late son-in-law's ashes in it.

It was bullet shaped.:eek:

Even though it was obviously not a real bullet (inscribed with a cross and no firing pin), shore-side security was not going to let us board with it and insisted we leave it there at the terminal until the end of the cruise. My grandson politely but adamantly refused and I was in tears after explaining it to three different security personnel. Finally they said it was up to the ship's security.

A security guy came down from the ship, examined it, said it was clearly not a bullet and gave the go ahead for us to board with it. He did advise my grandson to leave it in the cabin when we visited the ports. "No problem, thank you sir", my grandson happily told him.

~ Judy

I had almost the same thing happen to me when flying to Ft Lauderdale to go on Allure. My local airport, Rochester NY had me go through the body scan as I have 2 artificial knees. For some reason, unknown to me, I then had to have a pat down. After that, I had to have my hands wiped. I have had all this happen at airports many times, so I wasn't the least bit concerned.

When the TSA woman put the material in the scanner, the alarm went off. That has never happened before. I was told I needed further screening. Now, keep in mind, I had already been patted down from head to toe. The TSA employee was going to do it there and I said no way. I don't know what else you are going to do, but it is not going to be out here with hundreds, ok a bit of an exaggeration, watching me. I was taken to a small room and an additional TSA female went in too.

Once again, I was patted down, with concentration on my boobs and back and all the rest of my body short of an inner cavity check. Once again, there was the hand wipe. I waited and asked what will happen if the alarm goes off again? The TSA helper couldn't answer. After a couple of minutes, the original TSA employee came back saying all was good.

I asked what would have set that off? She said probably hand lotion. I told her I had just used hand lotion, Lordy, it's winter here in NY and really cold, so I use it every day. Now I know, next January I won't use the lotion and hopefully will only end up with the body scan and one pat down.

Happens, times we live in. I travel alone, Male, lot last minute flights, and have implant. So yes secondary screening about 90% time. You have choice, pat down there or in other area as you asked for...

About 5 years ago I was going through TSA at an airport and my carryon got flagged. The TSA woman asked if I had any weapons, I said no. Then she puts on some gloves, reached into my bag and pulled out a steak knife. There were a bunch of people around staring. I was so embarrassed. That particular bag was one that I often used to carry my laptop/gym clothes/lunch to work. Obviously I didn't clear out all of the pockets and forgot about the silverware I had in there from my lunch the day prior.

/4

Needless to say, I always double and triple check to make sure I have no contraband after that ordeal. Thankfully they just took the knife and sent me on my way. But of course, she had to make a big stink about it first to humiliate me. Which I deserved.

Retired now, was in Military. Stuff I worked with, gun powder, Radiation, would set alarms off at airport. Yeah old days was legal and ok to carry 4in blade knives into school. We even had gun safety class at the Middle school put on by NRA on Saturdays before Hunting Season. Had classmates carry their Rifles in their trucks in school parking lot. Times have changed... Took cruise with my small kids and came home day before 9/11. Went to Orlando with family, was there when the Anthrax scare there happened. First cruise I took after 9/11, when flying home they had me take shoes off, wondered why. Was day the shoe bomber attempted his thing... Guess I have terrible timing...

Edited by ONECRUISER

Has anyone ever flown into Cancun? After going through immigration the custom check is pressing a button. Green light, you go through. Red light is a full inspection of all your luggage. It’s the darndest system . . . (Sorry I know not directly cruise related but on topic of travel security).

It happens. Several years ago, my ex-husband forgot he had a large knife in his pocket and it was confiscated during the security check going onto the ship (no TSA - we drove to the port). After we got onboard, my mom knocked on our door and said "look what was in my purse" - her knife was seriously as large as my ex's was, but HERS was not detected.

But it is good they took my daughters small trial size hairspray!

This happened to me when I was called for jury duty. I went through the scanner and my purse on the conveyor. I was waiting to be called & going through purse and found my knife! :confused: Like you said ... it was a 4" or so folding knife. I put it into my car at lunch.

I had already flown internationally twice and visited Six Flags Over Georgia a few times before a terrifying "weapon" on my person was confiscated at Six Flags.

The offending item?

A set of small fingernail clippers, attached to my keychain. Not the "scissors" type, either. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how you could consider them dangerous at an amusement park -- "Okay, I'm hijacking this roller-coaster to Cuba! Back off or I'll give you a manicure!" -- but there they went. :mad:

Here's a little known fact. About 95% of TSA agents are PART TIME employees. They receive no benefits and not that great of pay. (14$/hr) They have the leaders as full-time, and that's about it.

The only reason I know this is because I thought it would kind of be a fun little side job to make some extra cash a few years back. The screening process was quite intense including interviews, fingerprinting, tests and an immense background check going as far as Step siblings and former landlords. It was crazy and it took several months to complete.

I was offered the job and ended up turning it down because the availability they expect you to have is outrageous for a part-time job. They could not give you a set schedule, as it is all based on flight demands for the upcoming weeks. This meant you needed to be available at all peak times which are 5am-10am and 2pm-10pm every single day. Obviously this does not work for anyone who has a real job and would want this as supplemental income. Meaning that most people have this as there only job and have no insurance or benefits associated with it. Our government at it's finest there. Screwing the employees. For those who are wondering they did not disclose the availability information when asked prior during the hiring process :rolleyes:

Returning to the ship in Portland, Maine, several years ago, the port authority had set up the reboarding screening outside the ship. People went through metal detectors while our backpacks were placed on a long table and slid from one end to the other for us to pick up - with NO SCREENING. We then boarded the ship with no further screening other than showing our seapass.

Later, I mentioned it to one of the security supervisors on board and he hemmed and hawed and said the cruise line contracted with the port authority to conduct security screening for returning PAX. I told him I could have brought a bagful of grenades and weapons on board that day. His answer - "You were screened when you boarded in Baltimore"

GEEEZE.