Are fewer cruisers participating in Roll Calls now??

funji1

I usually join roll calls and go to M&G's on longer cruises. 20> days. Anything shorter I don't bother. DH doesn't go to the M&G so I go myself. I do love the cc arranged tours and do use them quite a bit. It is so much better than a HAL tour with a mob of people. As for people I don't particularly like or want to be friends with, yes like everyone else I have met a few of them, but I just move on. There is bound to be some one there I will enjoy talking to.

I think roll calls for the longer cruises are the ones that are the most active.

Our last HAL cruise had the best roll call ever in our experience, a small bunch of us on a 14 day Alaska sailing. Two wonderful sisters (one posts on this board sometimes) lived in the Seattle area and really made that cruise memorable. They shared lots of pre-cruise Seattle tips. Provided info we hadn’t heard that our trip would have a wine & food emphasis on board, so we were all on the lookout for some specialty events we really enjoyed.

The sisters were upgraded just before departure to a Neptune Suite and hosted us all many evenings before dinner - everyone brought bottles of wine to share. Through a family contact, they connected with the wine expert on board, and he came with his wife to the party one evening. Several people went together to the restaurant in Anchorage owned by the chef expert on board. Some joined together for excursions. All of us had a much better cruise than we would have otherwise, and raised our glasses wholeheartedly for a farewell toast to the sisters in appreciation.

Not a typical roll call, it’s true, but depending on the people involved, sometimes they can result in a really special trip.

Thank you for creating this thread. I was going to ask the same question, but I think it's an over all board question, not just pertaining to HAL. I wonder, if its because we members of CC are over it, been there, done that....more cruise savy, that we don't need to participate in RC's anymore, now we do our own thing, or already know people and do our own thing. As someone else said, I wonder if the "other place" has taken over the conversation. I still am interested in finding out things about my particular cruise....city of embarkation, ship, new things from the cruise line and such....well I guess I'm off to find new places of conversation.

... and this Post pretty well sums it all up for me ... even if you don't join a RC or attend a M&G, you might encounter boors, louts and imbeciles, so why tempt fate and join a RC or M&G where you are almost certain to do so? JMO YMMV

Well, if you go into something thinking you are almost certain to meet awful people, you'll probably find a way to dislike the people you meet. I have met far more pleasant, polite, smart people on board than boors or imbeciles, both at meals and on RC events. I believe it's worth the risk to meet new people. JMO. Your mileage clearly varies from mine.

I think it's the more unusual itineraries that draw more people to roll calls, and those roll calls tend to be more interesting. If a roll call starts with nothing but people selling excursions, I'm less inclined to join than if it starts with a more social and information-sharing slant. The roll call for our upcoming P'dam cruise has been fantastic, and I'm looking forward to meeting up with a great group of cruisers.

The first one I participated in was well-organized - many sea days and many activities [thanks to Jacqui [Kazu] and her support group]. The 35 days had something for everyone to participate in.

The next one I signed up for TransAtlantic - once the initial M&G was done - all it was - was private tours talk. Tried another later - that was nice but only ran into one couple that I'd met the rest of the cruise. [21 days - port-intensive. Tried one more - back to the private tours.

Since then I've not bothered but if I ever had another long one with many sea days - I might try again.

I usually join roll calls and go to M&G's on longer cruises. 20> days. Anything shorter I don't bother. DH doesn't go to the M&G so I go myself. I do love the cc arranged tours and do use them quite a bit. It is so much better than a HAL tour with a mob of people. As for people I don't particularly like or want to be friends with, yes like everyone else I have met a few of them, but I just move on. There is bound to be some one there I will enjoy talking to.

I think roll calls for the longer cruises are the ones that are the most active.

You are correct. The reason I posted this was not because I was looking for a M&G. We have gone in the past and they are hit or miss as to the people, activity, officers attending etc. Unless we are with our own friends and can fill a table, we too go to open dining for all the reasons listed.

My goal on CC Roll Calls is to open up or join the small private group tours which we enjoy much more than the ship's which made us feel like a herd of cattle.

If anyone will be sailing on the Maasdam August 4, 2018 Montreal to Boston and are interested in the smaller tours, please contact me on the HAL Maasdam Roll Call board and we can discuss it. I have 4 openings on each of our two tours.

As someone who sails on a variety of lines, I'd have to say that -- with some exceptions for particular roll calls -- HAL roll calls generally are less robust than those for some other lines.

I enjoy roll calls, but have also learned to do without them, as the ship I sail on most (~350 pax) really doesn't have them. It's a great way to keep me sharp at figuring out how to do things on my own.

I'll suggest to you that if you can't find anyone to share your private tour, do it anyway. Most private tours I've looked at are not that much more expensive for two people than a ship tour and often private a much better and more customized experience. (I've done private tours for one, lol.)

I'm going to agree with the poster that said it's the demographics. Back in November I was in charge of a family cruise of about 20 people. The roll call was long, there was a pub crawl organized and also a meet and greet. Also, there were hundreds of youtube videos with reviews and I even found a video tour of our actual stateroom! This was on the NCL Getaway.

This spring my husband and I are going alone on the Canada/New England cruise on the Maasdam. Not only is the roll call sparse, but there is almost nothing on youtube like there was for the Getaway. What there was regarding the Canada/New England cruise were picture montages with some music in the background. All I can come up with is demographics.

We have been involved in a number of great roll calls and subsequent Meet and Greets, during which we have made some good friends and had some good times.

On our last cruise the roll call was very limited and no formal Meet and Greet occurred. The difference IMO was that this 7 day cruise was over Spring Break with many younger families and less "seasoned" cruisers (this was also apparent in the lack of participation in the two Mariner functions on board).

So, obviously the roll call participation will vary by time of year, length of cruise and other factors. Please do not give up on them, as they can be a fun and interesting event.

My goal on CC Roll Calls is to open up or join the small private group tours which we enjoy much more than the ship's which made us feel like a herd of cattle.

It is precisely this approach to a roll call that would turn me off and keep me from joining. I doubt I am the only one.

When I don't know the people on the thread, that's the first thing I want to do---get to know them a little. It's the same reasoning that others have used to explain why they don't want fixed seating at dinner, and want a table for two: what if I am stuck in a van all day with someone who I can't stand. At least at dinner I can change tables, or remove myself from the situation, but I can't as easily leave the tour.

I'm not looking for my newest and dearest bestie on a roll call, but I want compatibility before I join with strangers for a tour.

Perhaps that's at least part of your problem, funji1.

It is precisely this approach to a roll call that would turn me off and keep me from joining. I doubt I am the only one.

When I don't know the people on the thread, that's the first thing I want to do---get to know them a little. It's the same reasoning that others have used to explain why they don't want fixed seating at dinner, and want a table for two: what if I am stuck in a van all day with someone who I can't stand. At least at dinner I can change tables, or remove myself from the situation, but I can't as easily leave the tour.

I'm not looking for my newest and dearest bestie on a roll call, but I want compatibility before I join with strangers for a tour.

YES! Good post, Ruth! When I check out a roll call, I like to see names that I've seen here, posters who take the time to respond to posts and be helpful. People who contribute, not just try to sell tours.

Excellent points Ruth and I totally agree. I'm not doing a private tour with strangers either.

If I am organizing a tour, I ask people to email me so I can get to 'know' them on the roll call and in the emails. If I want to join someone else's, it's because I have a sense of who they are, feel comfortable with them and their tour & guide choice. (Often, they may be on some of mine so I already have a level of comfort).

Interesting to note that we had one poster on a roll call who only posted private tours. Didn't even confirm they were coming to the meet and greet or post anything else. I am not surprised that no one signed up for their tours. ;)

(bolding mine)

You are not the only one.

My biggest turn-off is a roll call that (for the majority of posts) only discusses private tours. In cases like that I do a lot more lurking than posting, unless I find someone on the roll call who I feel compatible with. And that is accomplished only if someone talks about him/herself and not only "please join this private tour".

I don’t have statistics but it seems posting volume in general has decreased on cruise critic.

I lurk on roll calls and watch for private tour announcements. I am seeing more tours organize behind the scenes, organizers posts their email address.

I don’t judge people on whether they post a lot, makes no difference. I’m either interested in the tour or not.

There are some roll calls that are a total turnoff, including anything dominated by an “over organizer”.

Upthread someone mentioned overly dominant posters even setting rules on what can be discussed at a M&G, sorry I’m not interested.

Roll Call participation is slim to say the least. We used to be able to find tour sharing on all our prior cruises but there seems to be a lack of this now. FB has taken a bunch of traffic from RC's but they do not seem to do much at all except say they are going to be aboard the ship. Prior to FB these boards where the place to be, especially when planning tours via RC's. My opinion ..............

Well, if you go into something thinking you are almost certain to meet awful people, you'll probably find a way to dislike the people you meet. I have met far more pleasant, polite, smart people on board than boors or imbeciles, both at meals and on RC events. I believe it's worth the risk to meet new people. JMO. Your mileage clearly varies from mine.

I think it's the more unusual itineraries that draw more people to roll calls, and those roll calls tend to be more interesting. If a roll call starts with nothing but people selling excursions, I'm less inclined to join than if it starts with a more social and information-sharing slant. The roll call for our upcoming P'dam cruise has been fantastic, and I'm looking forward to meeting up with a great group of cruisers.

Well said! We have met some great people on our cruises, some who became friends. We weren’t looking for that but what a delight to meet people who were simpatico. We have met other types too but for the most part it is always interesting. I have shared some meals with exceptionally interesting people as well as others. But that is just the diversity of humankind.

We have also had some of our most fabulous tours with roll call members. But one individual can taint things so I agree with Ruth C, you need to get a feel for others.

Maybe we are missing a chance to meet some very nice people who are interested in knowing us.

We think you are, which is one of the main reasons we prefer fixed dining. We really enjoy meeting new folks and sharing interesting discussions with them.

But past experience has resulted in us meeting people who are interested in them telling us all about THEM. :rolleyes:

Again, we enjoy learning about the other folks at our table, and from our experience they have always been equally as interested in learning about us.

Well, if you go into something thinking you are almost certain to meet awful people, you'll probably find a way to dislike the people you meet ...

You may be correct ... however, the two times I did sign up for RC/M&Gs, I did not have any preconceived ideas (good or bad, for that matter) about the people I'd meet. Unfortunately, on both occasions I did encounter several offensive individuals (including some whose sole interest was to organize private shore excursions) with whom I preferred not to spend my cruise. Hence my choice not to sign up for RC/M&G ...

... There are some roll calls that are a total turnoff, including anything dominated by an “over organizer”.

Upthread someone mentioned overly dominant posters even setting rules on what can be discussed at a M&G, sorry I’m not interested.

... My biggest turn-off is a roll call that (for the majority of posts) only discusses private tours. In cases like that I do a lot more lurking than posting, unless I find someone on the roll call who I feel compatible with. And that is accomplished only if someone talks about him/herself and not only "please join this private tour".

Two more very good Posts!!! (y)(y)(y)

I have found that, disappointingly, I am unable to "find" some of the people who have posted on the Roll Call that I really looked forward to meeting. When one only knows a screen name, that is of no use in trying to make contact with them on a ship.

Your comment is interesting and very apropo. I have been managing the roll call for our Grand Asia and have been reluctant to ask for last names. Yet, as you pointed out, once aboard ship, your chance of actually meeting the people behind the screen names is slim. I would welcome any suggestions or opinions as to whether to encourage the use of last names. There are some people, perhaps many, who simply prefer the anonymity of a screen name, although you would think that if they participate in a roll call, they would like to meet fellow posters.

Opinions?

Your comment is interesting and very apropo. I have been managing the roll call for our Grand Asia and have been reluctant to ask for last names. Yet, as you pointed out, once aboard ship, your chance of actually meeting the people behind the screen names is slim. I would welcome any suggestions or opinions as to whether to encourage the use of last names. There are some people, perhaps many, who simply prefer the anonymity of a screen name, although you would think that if they participate in a roll call, they would like to meet fellow posters.

Opinions?

Please share with those of us on CC who are concerned about personal identity security how you will do a better job of protecting it than Mark Zuckerberg and Mary Sternberg and Company have done.

It seems we discovered CC when we did our 1st Alaska on the O'dam. We did the roll call and discovered that there was a tradition on the O that involved a banner kept by the ship and signed by those who knew about it and it was hung out on sail away. We did that the next time we sailed her and it was fun to see our sigs on the banner. The CC roll calls do seem to attract fewer and I suspect as someone mentioned previously it might have to do with social media which wasn't as prevalent all those years ago. As part of the roll calls we've done meet-and-greets usually on the first sea day where there was typically an organizer and some contact with HAL that made it special. On our first meet-and-greet we met the hotel manager who was very people-oriented and took very good care of us throughout the rest of the cruise. Some of you may remember James Deering? A class act who is no longer with HAL. Anyway, there was a meet and greet that I organized and missed because I forgot to reset my clocks - pretty embarrassing. We would likely attend one set-up by somebody else but I won't be doing the organizing...