I know it's not RCCI...but a bit of an oops on the MSC Armonia in Roatan today.

We are currently on Liberty of the Seas, supposed to visit Roatan tomorrow. We just heard a message from the captain that we will have to miss the port because of the damage to the pier. He also said the other ship probably won't be able to leave (not sure for how long). We will be having an extra sea day.

I’m not familiar with the port in Roatan, is that the only dock? If so, I’m guessing western Oasis class itineraries may be altered for a bit as well since tendering is not an option while the dock gets fixed.

I’m not familiar with the port in Roatan, is that the only dock? If so, I’m guessing western Oasis class itineraries may be altered for a bit as well since tendering is not an option while the dock gets fixed.

No, there's also Mahogany Bay, but I think only Carnival owned ships dock there.

There is another dock in Roatan, it is owned by CCL, Mahogany Bay. It can hold the largest of the Carnival ships but I don't know if it could handle a larger ship (like any of the Oasis Class ships). I've been there a couple of times, the ship always backs into the dock and it can hold two ships. It isn't located downtown, but on the other side of the airport in a relatively remote area and other than the CCL manufactured shops and beach area, it does require a taxi to get to Coxen Hole or to civilization. Think Costa Maya or Grand Turk.

We are currently on Liberty of the Seas, supposed to visit Roatan tomorrow. We just heard a message from the captain that we will have to miss the port because of the damage to the pier. He also said the other ship probably won't be able to leave (not sure for how long). We will be having an extra sea day.

Sorry you're going to miss Roatan, it's always a bummer to miss ports. :loudcry:

Check the beginning of the video LS6Caddy posted, why are all the people running? Did they really think the ship was coming in that far? Or just jumping in their cars to beat the traffic jam (no profit today LOL)

(OT CsStingray I saw on another board that Amy Roloff (Little People Big World TV show) is now onboard the LOS too - taking her BF on his first cruise. I guess his first cruise lesson will be that you might not get to go where you thought you were going, so grab a cold one and relax lol

2ludg6a.jpg

I don't think so. I think that's just where the anchor ended up as they had them down when they were coming in.

After the original collision with the dock and grounding the ship backed off and the main anchors were raised. The new video shows the ship hard aside the shore in a different position from where she originally struck the shore. Also, the anchor chain that is visible is much smaller than that for the main anchor. This led me to think that perhaps they had dropped a kedge somewhere aft and had started to winch as evidenced by the sound of the winch and the stream of water from the hawsehole.

I’m going to review the various videos I’ve seen, it could be that I misinterpreted what I saw since I watched them several hours apart and they were from different angles.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

After the original collision with the dock and grounding the ship backed off and the main anchors were raised. The new video shows the ship hard aside the shore in a different position from where she originally struck the shore. Also, the anchor chain that is visible is much smaller than that for the main anchor. This led me to think that perhaps they had dropped a kedge somewhere aft and had started to winch as evidenced by the sound of the winch and the stream of water from the hawsehole.

Could be. I am by NO means an expert. I just can't even imagine trying to kedge a ship of that size.

Where am I? Working. Up all night taking bunkers, now up all night leaving Philadelphia. Had to sleep sometime, I do have a job that pays the bills, unlike answering questions on CC! :D

Here's what I posted on the NCL thread about this:

There is no "brace for impact" warning for passengers or crew, and I really doubt that the impact was significant for those onboard, as it doesn't appear to have damaged the ship much at all. Yes, they would have felt a shudder, but not like the ship was hitting a wall. The Captain could have sounded 5 blasts on the ship's whistle, but that is really to notify another ship that there is danger.

The water you see in the photo is not bilge pumping, it is what is known as "anchor washdown" which is used to remove mud and silt from the anchor and chain when retrieving them. I doubt that the ship took any damage that breached the hull.

The ship's azipods may not have reversed (swung 180*) when required, and the ship couldn't stop. Stopping the propellers would stop propulsive force, but would not provide any braking. Without knowing the harbor configuration, I can't say what options the Captain had, other than dropping the anchors to achieve some braking force, and whether they could have swung away from the pier.

The damage to the ship visible in the photo (I can't stream video with the internet onboard), is all cosmetic, and could very likely never be repaired for the life of the ship.

As I say, I can't do video, and I don't do facebook, so the only picture I've seen is a still posted on the NCL thread. I can't comment on the photo mentioned of the ship in another location, unless someone can post it, but very few ships have stern anchors, and that would be the only way to "kedge" a ship off of something.

As for the question about thrusters, the problem with thrusters is that being in a tunnel across the hull, any forward motion by the ship creates water flow past the thruster tunnel mouth, and this water motion reduces the amount of water the thruster can drag into the tunnel to force out the other side to produce thrust. When a ship is going above about 3 knots, thruster efficiency reaches about 10%.

If they did run over the anchor, there may have been a hull breach, but I would be surprised (again, I haven't seen the actual events as they unfolded) that the anchors were dropped where the ship stopped. Most commonly, when in a situation like this, the anchors would be dropped well before striking the pier, in deeper water, and the ship would run over the chain as it pays out and the ship moves forward. Dropping them right at the pier, or after striking the pier would serve no purpose. Now, the shock of impact may have jarred the brakes on the anchors (anchors are always in a ready state to drop (holding only on the brake band) when entering and leaving port, for just this reason), and the anchors just fell there. Trying to stop a ship with the anchors is always a crap shoot and risky business.

MSC ship hit the dock today in Roatan. Video on You Tube. I googled articles but all are in Spanish and my 6 years of learning Spanish in school is not helping with detailed translation. Still can't find out details as to what actually happened? Mechanical failure? Captain of the ship? Pilot Boat? Anyone know more details and what impact this will have on Royal Cruises headed to Roatan?

Where am I? Working. Up all night taking bunkers, now up all night leaving Philadelphia. Had to sleep sometime, I do have a job that pays the bills, unlike answering questions on CC!

>snip<

Thanks for taking some time to answer...always appreciated!!:):)

:):):)

I’m going to review the various videos I’ve seen, it could be that I misinterpreted what I saw since I watched them several hours apart and they were from different angles.

There are a bunch of videos out there now. The ship comes in much faster than one would expect, with two anchors down. It also comes in at a strange angle to the pier. There is no one on the pier to receive the lines, maybe they had run off the pier when they saw the ship coming in fast, haven't seen a video from that angle. There is one video I saw from the parking lot, right after the initial hit, that shows it pulling anchors and moving parallel to the pier.

Will be interesting to see what the actual problem was and if the ship will sail tomorrow. Interesting that Marine Traffic shows the last speed as 8.7 knts.

MSC ship hit the dock today in Roatan. Video on You Tube. I googled articles but all are in Spanish and my 6 years of learning Spanish in school is not helping with detailed translation. Still can't find out details as to what actually happened? Mechanical failure? Captain of the ship? Pilot Boat? Anyone know more details and what impact this will have on Royal Cruises headed to Roatan?

I guess that they'll be extra careful. :D