Aft cabins

I never thought of that. Was it noticeable enough to be troublesome? What deck were you on? I would think that would be worse on lower decks.

We were on deck 7 on Enchantment and deck 10 on Indy. I would not use the word "troublesome", just that it was more noticible than sea motion to me.

We had AFT balcony, deck 8 on Empress in February.

Can’t say sea motion was any worse than any other cabin we have had, but as Bob states, the engine vibration is noticeable, but for us it was only upon entering or debarking a docked position.

The view was heavenly, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For the entire cruise...or just when going into port ?

Mostly during manuvering near the dock, but occasionally a resonance would persist even at speed.

I was watching a show (not sure which channel, maybe Discovery channel?) and they were taking a new RC ship out for sea testing, and one of the things they were testing was vibrations at the rear of the ship, they were using some sort of device to measure the vibrations and make sure they were in an acceptable range.

We have stayed in aft balcony cabins three times and have never noticed more motion there than any other spot on the ship. We have felt the vibration also but it has never strong enough that it bothered us

This. We've had 3 aft cabins and that is our preference if available. Only vibration if any was when we were docking at the port. Aft cabins usually have a larger balcony area and DW and I love the view while sipping on a glass of wine.

Silly question but 'aft' cabins can still span a large number of staterooms. For the vibration, is it felt more for the farthest aft staterooms? Probably a hard question to answer and would vary by ship, but just wondering since we have an aft room booked on Mariner on deck 6, but it's towards the central elevators (so in aft section but still towards center vs very back of ship)....so hoping we won't notice much.

Silly question but 'aft' cabins can still span a large number of staterooms. For the vibration, is it felt more for the farthest aft staterooms? Probably a hard question to answer and would vary by ship, but just wondering since we have an aft room booked on Mariner on deck 6, but it's towards the central elevators (so in aft section but still towards center vs very back of ship)....so hoping we won't notice much.

I don't think you will notice vibration much near the elevators.

When we started cruising, we always tried for as close to mid ship as possible as I tend towards motion sickness. We noticed on one sailing when at Wind Jammer how much vibration we felt so we figured we would never want an after. Well, here we are years later and found that we wanted to try an aft. Now, if a good cabin becomes available, (good = due aft and not under noisy venues), we book it. We just got off of Serenade last month and while we were on there we were able to rebook the same cabin for a future sailing. With that said, we've been lucky and have not had bad seas so I'm praying we never do and regret our love of due aft cabins.

Erika

The vibration will shake out your dentures and the soot will turn all your clothes black.

The motion throw you out of bed!!

Please leave the aft cabins to us "Afters" who can handle the predicaments.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

We always book aft staterooms mainly because there is very little foot traffic past your room so it is very quiet and peaceful back there. The lower the deck the more you will hear and feel vibrations and noise when docking. During the cruise itself we did not hear or feel any bothersome noise. If the ship docks early in the morning and you are still sleeping, then it can be a problem. You are farther away from things so you will be walking more but there are aft elevators which generally are much less busy than the midship ones, besides walking will help with all the extra calories you will be consuming!

The vibration will shake out your dentures and the soot will turn all your clothes black.

Too funny. Thanks for the laugh!

:evilsmile::evilsmile::evilsmile: