Chair Hogs New Low

Ditto. :cool:

eir stuff. :halo:

Sometimes I wonder if all the people in line at the front desk are there to protest those towel charges on their bills...:confused:

Speaking of which, at least this time on Jewel, we got a note on our door around 5pm on the last day stating they still showed us with 2 pool towels out and to return them by 10pm. That was helpful.

I'd love to have a timer (like a kitchen timer) built into the chairs. If you're leaving your seat, you turn the timer. At the end of 30 minutes, a flag pops up to let others know that time has expired and this seat is now available. Kinda like a parking meter. If you need a seat and there are none empty, you can take one that has stuff on it with an expired meter.

Chair hogs don't bother me because we never sit near the pool. But this is a good plan. Add to it that you need to scan a seapass and each seapass can only reserve one chair at a time - so if family members are somewhere else they have to return every 30 minutes and problem solved (or at least reduced). :D:D

:)

A few years ago we were at Disney’s Aulani Resort in Hawaii and they way they handled chair hogs was every hour an attendant would come by all unoccupied chairs and fold the towels a certain way. If they hadnt been touched when they came back the next hour, everything was removed and brought to the towel kiosk.

Disney did tell everyone the policy, but some people figured it wouldn’t be enforced.....their mistake.

Royal could follow this policy, and eventually the hogs would be reduced.

We were at a resort on Kauai last month and the pool opened at 9. We usually got there about 8:45 to claim an umbrella'd chair and we stayed there for the morning, didn't claim and run. We were shocked, shocked I tell you that the pool area was still barely used by 10:30 - 11:00 and no one had come out to claim chairs. It was such the opposite to a cruise. Sad when you become acclimatized to chair hogging.

When we sailed on Adventure OTS and Navigator OTS, there was an occasional chair hog issue in the Solarium, where we spend most of our time. Last March on Harmony, we had no such problem. A sold out ship too, but we were always able to find a chair or lounger. Not sure if its serendipity or that the larger ship give you more choices on where to go.

I have sailed on both Allure and Harmony. On Allure while I didn't have an issue getting a spot it was almost full. Getting a single at the very front (my favorite spot) was had every day.

On Harmony it was so good. The extra deck that they have for the Solarium really opens up spots. Had my pick of areas and my wife even came down one day and sat in the shade up on the top deck. Plus they have the covered doubles which is nice but not easy to get.

Now lets go to Anthem...or lets not. By far the worst Solarium experience that I have seen. While I love the "love seats" that only exasperates the problem as usually you will see on person (ok sometimes it is me) laying out (and napping) in a seat made for more than one. Add to that the fact that they actually have a wading pool that takes up space, and it just makes the Solarium over crowded with people.

Edited by Goofyfanatic

Princess Cruises has very nice cabanas with 2 chairs and probably the thickest chair cushion I've ever used in their adult only section. There were 4 on each side of the pool. You could reserve it per half day for $50 ($100) for the whole day. On embarkation day you had to head up there right away because the reservation sell out quick on sea days. Was worth it has they provided 3 towels per chair as well. It was hilarious to see the inept crowd try to sit in them while they were occupied. They had staff on hand to tell them to bugger off. I enjoyed looking at their failing to properly plan faces as we took our reserved seats. I wish RC would do this...

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

Don't give Royal any ideas. Like with the Beach Cabana's this will start out at $100 then within few months will be $450

I guess we know what to do for our Alaskan cruise. Stake a claim at 5 am and bring fresh food at each meal.
Maybe, if you are staking out an indoor location. Lol

You'll have no trouble whatsoever finding empty chairs on deck in Alaska, any time of day.

Chair hogs don't bother me because we never sit near the pool. But this is a good plan. Add to it that you need to scan a seapass and each seapass can only reserve one chair at a time - so if family members are somewhere else they have to return every 30 minutes and problem solved (or at least reduced). :D:D

:)

I never sit by the pool -- always in the shade (I'm a redhead -- I *need* shade!) But shade is at a premium and hard to find, even if nowhere near the pool (also needs to not be within breathing distance of the smoking area).

I would love to see more shady areas -- I would have no problem being on the top deck, away from the pool, if there were shade there. I can walk to the pool or hot tub as needed from there!

I was on this sailing too and the Solarium was bad for chair hogs. I cannot speak for the other pools.

One day we got to the pool deck around 11:45. I think it was a port day. We got there right after we had eaten a quick lunch in the WJ. We took a few chairs and then had our eye out for better locations. I picked a few out and told hubby if the people were not back in an hour I was taking their chairs. After about an hour or an hour 15, they did not come back so I took their two towels, folded them and put them off to the side of the pool deck. They showed up about 15 minutes later looking for their chairs. I explained they were gone for more than the allowed time and I had set their towels aside for them. They picked them up and put them on the chairs that were open beside my hubby. They sat on the chairs for MAYBE 15 minutes. They got up and left their towels and we never saw them that afternoon again. Their towels were still sitting there on the chairs where they left them when we left the pool are at 4:45ish. Now I think I should have taken the towels to the drop off so they would have gotten charged.

I am not saying neither of us ever leave the loungers, but it is rare and never longer than 15 minutes to run to the WJ to grab a snack or for a dip in the pool. I know how much it aggravates me when I cannot find a chair or when all the good ones are taken by people that never show up to use them...

Nobody gets charged as long as they do not give out reciept and return slips for towels....it is all smoke and mirrors as always with RCI policy...:rolleyes:

You are no better than the chair hogs...you just wanted a better location you had a chair!:o(n)

I never sit by the pool -- always in the shade (I'm a redhead -- I *need* shade!) But shade is at a premium and hard to find, even if nowhere near the pool (also needs to not be within breathing distance of the smoking area).

I would love to see more shady areas -- I would have no problem being on the top deck, away from the pool, if there were shade there. I can walk to the pool or hot tub as needed from there!

Amen. Well said

You are no better than the chair hogs...you just wanted a better location you had a chair!:o(n)

Really? Hogs had taken the good chairs so I waited in the chair I had and then gave it up when I took the new chair. I have no idea why you think I did anything wrong, but okie dokie!

Let's have T-shirts made that say "I'll save your seat for a drink!";p:cool::*

I think my husband would roll his eyes if I wore these but I bet I could get one for my brother and he'd wear them. He doesn't mind stirring the pot occasionally ;p

Don't be a chair hog. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D2QBXTB

Buy me a drink https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D2RJZ3Y

SaveSave

Chair hogs don't really bother me too much since my husband and I don't usually sit together much. I burn too easily to be in the full sun and he doesn't want to sit in the warm but shady parts. Usually I'll sit in a sunny-ish area of the Solarium and read while going from chair to pool and back and he'll go on the top deck in full sun and come down to the shade of the Solarium to see me every once in awhile. I'm too Irish to hang out with him in the full sun.

I don't mind moving stuff though. If I've occupied a chair for an hour or more and I know for sure if someone hasn't been at a chair near me I will mention it to people looking for a chair. I'll just say "I don't know if the person who reserved that chair is part of a group with anyone else but I haven't seen anyone in it since I've been there". Then that gives people in chairs near me to say that that is a relative or friend of theirs or agree with me that its probably fair game.

i agree just seems prevailate on carnival ships . i see you are from tx i wonder if all cruises out of tx are that welcoming. i never go on cruise ship to connected but this time the atmosphere of the crew and co cruisers was great. i made some friends from tx and never expected that nor was i looking for that. so a big thanks to your state

While it's stereotyping (just like suggesting Carnival has the market on bad behavior), Texas cruises do have a different vibe. We've done Florida, NY, and CA as well - they each have their own flavor. Texans do happen to be a little more laid back. Glad to hear you had a good time!

To me the easiest thing to do is if you see a chair that's been "hogged" but not used for over an hour or so, find a crew member & have them remove the items, so you don't end up having a problem when the person comes back 2 or 3 hrs. later. I've done this & it works really well ! :D

• 4 weeks later...
On our Oasis cruise in April, he DID remove towels, so he was working. Also, if someone said something to him, he took the personal belongings. So he was working it or at least trying to.

For me it was Oasis in April of 2016, I saw an attendant monitoring chairs and finally took stuff away. Of course within minutes a couple took those seats. Another 10 minutes the original squatters showed up and made the usual noise that they were only gone 15 minutes. He was trying to intimidate the couple. I spoke up and said the stuff was removed by the attendant, I pointed to him, after he verified it was empty more than 30 minutes.

Just back from Freedom OTS 4/28/18 cruise and chair hogs in full force in Solarium. No one removing items/towels from chairs not sat in by human for several hours. The new low was pair of CHs who left their bags on two chairs in the shade and proceeded to go to their chairs in the sun on another part of the ship. They never sat in the shade chairs but did come back a couple of times to get items from their bags. We sat next to these chairs for 5 hours and there were people looking for chairs constantly. The sign saying they would remove items from abandoned chairs was almost directly in front of us.

Work2Cruis

Nothing new there, have often seen families with two sets of chairs, some in the sun and some in the shade.

No one does anything, it's just the way it is.

Really? Hogs had taken the good chairs so I waited in the chair I had and then gave it up when I took the new chair. I have no idea why you think I did anything wrong, but okie dokie!

don't mind this T-H fellow. He is mean sometimes on these threads. Waiting for a better spot is almost like a sport in itself

• 3 months later...

I hope Royal Caribbean is really taking action!

Just back from Freedom OTS 4/28/18 cruise and chair hogs in full force in Solarium. No one removing items/towels from chairs not sat in by human for several hours. The new low was pair of CHs who left their bags on two chairs in the shade and proceeded to go to their chairs in the sun on another part of the ship. They never sat in the shade chairs but did come back a couple of times to get items from their bags. We sat next to these chairs for 5 hours and there were people looking for chairs constantly. The sign saying they would remove items from abandoned chairs was almost directly in front of us.

Work2Cruis

I'm sorry but anyone that sees an unoccupied chair for 5 hours has every right to move the stuff for others or their own use

If the hogs come back just say the chair was empty

If you are the one moving the stuff after an appropriate period of time just neatly put the stuff in a corner. No need to put it under your chair or extremely close by

Just tell the hogs the deck crew told you the chair was vacant

Just tell the hogs the crew moved their stuff

Or now here is a great idea...

Neatly fold their stuff in a corner...then move the chair

How exactly would they know it was their chair as they all look alike.

This is not brain surgery folks nor is it bad behavior on your part

If a hog is gone for hours there is no way they would even know what transpired or how many other pax used that same chair in those hours

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On my last cruise on NCL Dawn, I was out by the pool around 8am having coffee. The loungers were not put out yet. An old lady asked the pool guy if he could get her a lounger. He said they weren't allowed to put them out before 9am as it disturbs the passengers in the cabins below trying to sleep. Now that was a first!

I guess you can call me a territory grabber. I am a naturally early riser, so I'm up in the Solarium around 7am. I grab my seat. I also sit in it, or sleep depending on the situation. However, if the time comes that I decided there are other activities I want to do on the ship, I abandon my chair.

I can't tell you the number of times I've had my stuff moved, or almost moved (thank you, chair neighbors), when I was IN THE POOL!!! I like to be in the water, and yes, I have been known to stay in there for more than 30 minutes.

I just don't think there's an easy solution, short of packing the solarium wall to wall with chairs.

Way this is done by some cruise lines is to have a reserved area which you have to pay to have access. I don't believe that is a bad idea personally.

On RC, the closest you can get to this is to book a suite and have access to the suite deck on some ships.

When I first started cruising in the 80's on Home Lines, if someone wanted a lounge chair near the pool, there was a charge. I can't remember how much it was but it was not much and it was for the week. Once paid, it was yours to use when wanted. There was a little holder on the back of the chair where a piece of paper with the name of the person who paid for the chair.

I loved that idea and there were never fights about chair hogs etc. No one sat in the chairs that others paid for. I do wish that would be done again and then the ones who feel they own the chair, would own it for the week -----AFTER they paid for it.

The truth is that if a thing is desirable and the supply is not sufficient to accommodate everyone, then it should not be complementary. The cruise line should charge by the hour for the use of the more desirable deck chairs. Then there would be no more chair hogs (unless they were willing to pay for the time that the chair was not in use) and Royal Caribbean would have a new source of revenue.