The Carry-On

I am thinking about getting to Oasis a little early--like 11 am--to make any schedule and reservation changes and to gawk at the ship. That means my husband and I would be lugging our carry-ons until 1 pm. Any recommendations--small wheeled case, backpack, etc? I know the 2 bottles of wine have to be in one of these. Is it better to just wait until 1 pm?

I am thinking about getting to Oasis a little early--like 11 am--to make any schedule and reservation changes and to gawk at the ship. That means my husband and I would be lugging our carry-ons until 1 pm. Any recommendations--small wheeled case, backpack, etc? I know the 2 bottles of wine have to be in one of these. Is it better to just wait until 1 pm?

Why carry it on? Check it! The only thing we carry on is our backpack as we go and lay at the pool. I have my tote with my money, jewelry, etc. You could have a tote with your wine. But check the luggage. We never, in 104 cruises have taken a carry on bag with us. We check everything except for the backpack and my tote. I don't want to have to lug that stuff around with me. We are normally one of the first on the ship, so we wait for at least a couple hours before we can get into the cabin

Why carry it on? Check it! The only thing we carry on is our backpack as we go and lay at the pool. I have my tote with my money, jewelry, etc. You could have a tote with your wine. But check the luggage. We never, in 104 cruises have taken a carry on bag with us. We check everything except for the backpack and my tote. I don't want to have to lug that stuff around with me. We are normally one of the first on the ship, so we wait for at least a couple hours before we can get into the cabin

Because I want decent looking clothes for dinner.

Just got off Oasis and did exactly what you are thinking. We arrived at the port at 11:00 and did our gawking :). We took a 16" underseater bag with wheels that I bought at Walmart for about $35. It was large enough to carry the wine, medication, jewelry and a change of clothes (in case you want to use the pool before your luggage arrives), but very easy to maneuver -- actually much easier than an over the shoulder tote or a backpack and about the same size. You'll love the ship!

Keeping the discussion to the carry on stuff only- not worrying about the luggage you check in...

The one note I will make is that two bottles of wine isn't exactly light. I would lean toward something you can roll around, but is light enough to take one or two flights of stairs. One or one bag each isn't a big deal from 11 to 1pm, IMHO.

We carry everything on- two bags apiece- so we arrive really close to 1pm.

As long as you hit one of the Specialty restaurants early in the afternoon you will have little problem making dining changes.

If you're making MDR changes go up to the restaurant and see the head waiter as soon as you board. You can make show changes on the tv as you need. Book your aqua show early in the week as it is the only show with multiple cancellations because of weather.

Because I want decent looking clothes for dinner.

In all the years we have cruised, i have never not had my suitcases in time to unpack before dinner. And if it ever happens, just won't do dinner that night. Will just go to WJ instead.

Never ever check valuables, electronics, medication and the like. Also have a change of clothes for dinner and cosmetics.

My valuables, electronics, hubby's meds, etc go into my tote. I don't care about dinner clothes, luggage always arrives in time, and if it would ever happen, WJ is there to save the day!!:D:D:D

My valuables, electronics, hubby's meds, etc go into my tote. I don't care about dinner clothes, luggage always arrives in time, and if it would ever happen, WJ is there to save the day!!:D:D:D

I have had mine arrive late. Wonder why it is such an issue of us changing clothes. We like to feel refreshed. I have never had dinner in the Windjammer and have no issue wearing shorts the first evening. I just like feeling fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have had mine arrive late. Wonder why it is such an issue of us changing clothes. We like to feel refreshed. I have never had dinner in the Windjammer and have no issue wearing shorts the first evening. I just like feeling fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Might I suggest Summer's Eve. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We used a small suitcase a couple of times, while it isn't a big deal, it does get in our way. Last time I packed out carry on in an over sized, zipped tote bag and we liked that better. This upcoming cruise, we will each have a back pack since we are flying this time. Our carry-on bags from the flight will be checked with our regular sized suitcase once at the port.

I carry on everything. I've carried on large suitcases and golf clubs in a travel bag. I board around 1pm and the rooms are usually open when I board or shortly after. No interest in waiting hours for someone to bring something I already carried that far. You can take any bag on board you like.

After over packing for several cruises, I have not condensed myself to one 22" Carry on regardless of the length of the cruise. I don't have to worry about waiting on a checked back to get to my room, as have everything with me. I had always ended up with more clothes then I ended up wearing. I pack everything in their individual packing cubes and roll my clothes except for the nicer blouses for evening or formal nights.

Hmm, I wear clothes on board I am comfortable in, but are good enough for the MDR first night if needed.

I carry on swim wear if I want to use the pool.

If my luggage takes hours to get there, SO WHAT? I don't sit around waiting for it.

I also use bell persons in hotels to take my luggage to/from my room. :D

After over packing for several cruises, I have not condensed myself to one 22" Carry on regardless of the length of the cruise. I don't have to worry about waiting on a checked back to get to my room, as have everything with me. I had always ended up with more clothes then I ended up wearing. I pack everything in their individual packing cubes and roll my clothes except for the nicer blouses for evening or formal nights.

Based on the rest of your post, I don't think you wanted that "not" there. As it sounds like you are exactly like us- not wanting to over pack = easily being able to carry on all of your luggage. We've been travelling with airline carry on only for close to 20 years now- even for multiple weeks. So much easier to be lighter- especially if you are moving from place to place on the trip.

It's pretty funny when we unpack in a GS- as we barely use what's available to us... LOL!

While I'm an overpacker (don't even *ask* how much I bring), my carry-on is a wheeled backpack. I found one that is just about the max size for a plane to carry-on. It carries plenty of stuff and, I can put it on my back if needed or just wheel it around. For me, best of both worlds.

The DH and I always carry on one rolling bag each. Valuables, paperwork, toiletries (that will get us through in case checked bags late) bottles of wine (which I would never put through checked luggage) phones, and binoculars to enjoy views off the deck.

We check in at 11 am, and simply find a nice spot in the lounges or VCL to relax until cabins are open.