Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

We had water like that today, and waterfront property at the casa. I learned we don’t have a watertight door on one side of the garage and in spite of my valiant efforts to stem the tide, with some sandbags, the water found its way inside.  The newly formed lake outside the door sought to expand its tributaries, it succeeded.  Fifteen inches of rain will inundate anything. 

This was the first storm of the hurricane season.  The tempest was named Agatha when it was in the Pacific and then once it crossed the isthmus into the Gulf of Mexico, it was to become Alex. The transformation is still yet to happen and is predicted to occur sometime after the storm reaches the Atlantic. 

It takes a lot of energy to become a totally new gender. 

D54F8082-5EE3-407A-9461-4A9EDFDBA6CA.thumb.jpeg.6b18c3b11439e705269af4ec304f3e21.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

We had water like that today, and waterfront property at the casa. I learned we don’t have a watertight door on one side of the garage and in spite of my valiant efforts to stem the tide, with some sandbags, the water found its way inside.  The newly formed lake outside the door sought to expand its tributaries, it succeeded.  Fifteen inches of rain will inundate anything. 

This was the first storm of the hurricane season.  The tempest was named Agatha when it was in the Pacific and then once it crossed the isthmus into the Gulf of Mexico, it was to become Alex. The transformation is still yet to happen and is predicted to occur sometime after the storm reaches the Atlantic. 

D54F8082-5EE3-407A-9461-4A9EDFDBA6CA.thumb.jpeg.6b18c3b11439e705269af4ec304f3e21.jpeg

Hope for you the next name on the list is Adios! I need to check on my daughter in Jupiter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, spinnaker2 said:

We heard that tons of rain had fallen in your neck of the woods!  Hope damage was limited!  Thinking of you! 🥰

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Hope for you the next name on the list is Adios! I need to check on my daughter in Jupiter. 

All is well in Jupiter (and Palm Beach Gardens). A rainy night/morning, but nothing like Broward and Dade counties. 

• Like 1

Our dear dog, an Old English Sheepdog (4th in a series), finally came to her end, and we helped her to pass on in a humane way, with both of us holding her paws and stroking her head to the bitter end.  Not a dry eye in the house.  The picture as my avatar is of her in the cat bed, whilst sporting a proper coat during winter time.  After a decent interval, I told my DW that probably, given our ages, we should let her be our last dog, as it would be unfortunate to have a pet that you couldn't take proper care of, were the health of one of us to go downhill.  A most reasonable, sensible position, of course.  Needless to say, within 30 days my DW informed me that there just happened to be a litter of OES puppies from the same line as our last dog (Lila van der Woof), that had been born in Portland, two hours to the north.  I further expounded on my opinion that we should probably pass on another dog, despite how much we have enjoyed the previous ones, in the interest of acting responsibly and being logical and so forth. See attached photo of the new puppy.  We're down to a few names, not settled yet, but including:  Bianca Wagger, Josephine Bone Apart, Virginia Woof, Bundlejoy Cozysweet, Penelope Pennyfeather, and a few others.  

IMG_5817.GIF

• Like 14

58 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

All is well in Jupiter (and Palm Beach Gardens). A rainy night/morning, but nothing like Broward and Dade counties. 

I just saw the news.......wow Ft. Lauderdale and Miami both look like a bigger flood than a hurricane😲the folks trying to drive through it are nuts and should know better!....definitely not safe driving through that kind of water.

Glad you are ok!

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Our dear dog, an Old English Sheepdog (4th in a series), finally came to her end, and we helped her to pass on in a humane way, with both of us holding her paws and stroking her head to the bitter end.  Not a dry eye in the house.  The picture as my avatar is of her in the cat bed, whilst sporting a proper coat during winter time.  After a decent interval, I told my DW that probably, given our ages, we should let her be our last dog, as it would be unfortunate to have a pet that you couldn't take proper care of, were the health of one of us to go downhill.  A most reasonable, sensible position, of course.  Needless to say, within 30 days my DW informed me that there just happened to be a litter of OES puppies from the same line as our last dog (Lila van der Woof), that had been born in Portland, two hours to the north.  I further expounded on my opinion that we should probably pass on another dog, despite how much we have enjoyed the previous ones, in the interest of acting responsibly and being logical and so forth. See attached photo of the new puppy.  We're down to a few names, not settled yet, but including:  Bianca Wagger, Josephine Bone Apart, Virginia Woof, Bundlejoy Cozysweet, Penelope Pennyfeather, and a few others.  

IMG_5817.GIF

So sorry about your pup...........your new one is a cutie. Hope she helps in your grieving process.

5 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

IMG_5817.GIF

😁Been there last year and our pup is now 8 months old. I am sure she will bring you much joy but watch out for the puppy teeth and claws, I forgot how sharp they can be.

It is heart wrenching to lose a faithful friend and I am glad you were able to be there for her when your old girl passed.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2022 at 9:43 PM, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

I further expounded on my opinion that we should probably pass on another dog, despite how much we have enjoyed the previous ones, in the interest of acting responsibly and being logical and so forth. See attached photo of the new puppy.  We're down to a few names, not settled yet, but including:  Bianca Wagger, Josephine Bone Apart, Virginia Woof, Bundlejoy Cozysweet, Penelope Pennyfeather, and a few others.  

She is adorable - and love the name options!   I applaud your wise concerns about adding a new member to the family at a certain stage in life, but will also share that while I was a bit taken aback when my parents added 2 Persian kittens to their home at the age of 80 (!) after the passage of their prior furry friend -  my Mother outlived them both!  Pretty sure that having two amusing, loving companions had a lot to do with that... 🙂

• Like 2

On another thread, there was a discussion that mentioned several forum members (fauxnom, les37b and LoisR) recently or soon to be celebrating retirement (myself included).  Those of you who are from the USA may relate to the following... 

I had joined an online forum called Taxes in Retirement earlier this year. In this forum, many posts include comments or questions about the social security program, and they abbreviate this in their posts to SS.   I have to keep reminding myself that their abbreviations are not referring to Silversea! 😆

• Haha 2

Yes agreed answer to another thread !!! I'm as of August this year in the pension party !!

We in the UK have had a somewhat disappointed change of age to receiving our state pension..I myself have had to wait to age 66!!! When it used to be 60 ..( for women) so anyone born in the 50's had to wait a little 6 years later to receive our state pension ...I'm going to receive it aug 2022 but by this time( as I have never had children or any gap in my working experience have actually contributed over 50 years  into the state pension !!! I'm I upset !! Yes you bet I am ... Almost £ 50.000 less in my bank account !! A few cruise missed ..anyway it's getting political ... Chill out my husband tells me 🍾🚢👙🍹 😉

1 hour ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

I had joined an online forum called Taxes in Retirement earlier this year. In this forum, many posts include comments or questions about the social security program, and they abbreviate this in their posts to SS.

Clearly, for those of us who regularly use SS in our abbreviation for Silversea, the thought of social security never even crossed our mind.  Now you know just how far from retirement some of us are. 😉 

• Haha 4

Busy two days in Milan!

20220604_171827.thumb.jpg.87c6780ad3e1641d04a5ed034d5ae4f4.jpg

After an overnight flight, we arrived Sunday morning a little after 10AM and met Chris's friend from grade school. They had not seen each other since 8th grade graduation (only a few years ago, mind you) and the reunion was a joyous one.

She and her husband took us around Milan to orient us to the city. Then we had a late lunch of delicious pizzas. A lovely day!

Milan (Sforzesco) Castle

20220605_131446.thumb.jpg.3680c660476fc6198f23ada00729de1c.jpg

Arch of Peace in Sempione Park. With Napoleon on top. 

20220605_141208.thumb.jpg.92a7539e0654256bcc589df6ade72ef0.jpg

The friends taking a selfie.

20220605_141455.thumb.jpg.83a367fe4197782e1b257499d43c108e.jpg

Porta Nuova

20220605_195931.thumb.jpg.8f0affb810fb506c0e723bea0b3fae05.jpg

We had a light dinner at the outdoor Cafe at Eataly and called it a day.

20220605_202356.thumb.jpg.bbadd40d31458df1ceb761ff1c7e0442.jpg

Yesterday we were very busy. More pix to follow. Off to see The Last Supper now.

• Like 12

Hi JP, hope you both have a wonderful trip. How long are you away? And I am guessing it is just your 2 roller bags?😃 Sounds like things are off to a great start. That is really neat about Chris and her friend from grade school!🙂

Milan, yesterday.

We slept well until about 6 then dozed until 7:30 or so. We had to get moving because I'd bought tickets to the Duomo roof climb for 9:00.

Found a Café next door to the hotel for coffee and a pastry then took the Metro to the Duomo. We were early and had time to admire the facade in the morning sunshine. 

We were in quickly when the gate opened and not much wait for the lift. Yes we were lazy and took the lift. Still tired from the flight! 

Beautiful views from the roof.

20220606_092002.thumb.jpg.6caaa5ee999ec7f59701c145c7f85845.jpg

20220606_092610.thumb.jpg.5bada94f3839fb2334fef92687eb0c57.jpg

Cool architecture. So ornate! 

20220606_093033.thumb.jpg.9b9dae49a3737c344d596b5c8c9d5570.jpg

From there we went to the galleria next door which wasn't as crowded as it had been yesterday. Was able to get a picture of the dome.

20220606_103541.thumb.jpg.3a9e720f18fbd138c2108c9e33b17c49.jpg

Then look who wandered by? Look at the guy with the big blue camera. We may be on Google maps soon!

20220606_103614.thumb.jpg.8c06b6e3b9c1e858df14d270ab01f62e.jpg

We headed home to plan the rest of the morning. Here is the Central Station, a block from our hotel.

20220606_105536.thumb.jpg.30f59b7e1bbe28acc5ff8fd00aa29e36.jpg

And how else can you plan than with coffee? My double espresso on the right is obvious. Chris opted for an "espressino" which was like a tiny cappuccino. 

20220606_113506.thumb.jpg.7f285a7039648710a8b5742de1973516.jpg

We headed to a nearby park to walk some more. Palazzo Dugnani, in the Montanelli Garden. Nice place for a stroll.

20220606_123310.thumb.jpg.8b28b9d8f7129a4b2af6c192ecdbd102.jpg

A statue of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. And the "white horse of peace" with them.

20220606_123711.thumb.jpg.ed9f348627a05b1676b30ad375ffdeee.jpg

We stopped for lunch and enjoyed some risotto and stuffed veal, then it was time for more walking. So we headed to the far end of Corso di Porta Romano, and walked the street while admiring the ornate buildings.

20220606_153236.thumb.jpg.7e9e42a6a77d194be3d8798ba51c6ce6.jpg

Back to Porta Venezia for another look. Nicely lit in the afternoon sunshine. 

20220606_172714.thumb.jpg.8090cd1264ac47d74c3f15a60f0d2701.jpg

By now we were pretty much worn out for the day so we headed for dinner. We found an Osteria along Naviglio Grande and settled in with a Pinot Nero from Sudtirol.

20220606_202638.thumb.jpg.273b7a07da2acdc65a28bd7ddb253c5c.jpg

It was so warm out that we needed to chill the red wine! But dinner was delicious. We started with fried zucchini flowers, stuffed with ricotta and Parmesan. So tasty.

20220606_202847.thumb.jpg.ebb1db84cd0fab83cfe963524588e95d.jpg

I had osso bucco over risotto, and Chris had a veal chop milanese. Dessert was panna cotta.

20220606_213115.thumb.jpg.f9cb4923bf8b00728fbd45ef534e2576.jpg

We strolled along Naviglio Grande after dinner for the views. There is a statue of a whale's tail near one of the bridges. 

20220606_214544.thumb.jpg.0ef1915ae543b946d97c96f25344e8fd.jpg

As we got closer, we saw that there was part of the body visible as well. And it spouted every few minutes! Apologies for the photobomber lighting his cigarette at the exact moment I was taking the picture.

20220606_215351.thumb.jpg.9145756890aca3200b097f99d52191c8.jpg

Finally back to the room to sleep after a very long day. Tomorrow, we get to see The Last Supper.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2022 at 2:43 AM, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

IMG_5817.GIF

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss WWFT but congratulations on the new addition. As with our recent addition I think these things are often down to fate. For some reason they couldn’t find a home for our Berty and the moment I saw his picture I just knew. Wishing you many happy years together. 

• Like 3