Extra gratuities for Cabin Steward- what do you usually leave?

nini

The positive comments cards are very important to the crew for getting extra time off and promotions.

The comment cards are important to the crew but what is more important is to fill out the evaluation Princess sends to your email at the end of the cruise. Positive comments with the name of the crew member carries a lot of weight and can get the crew member promoted. We have had crew members ask us to consider them when we fill out the evaluations on line.

Interesting thread as only been on Australian cruises, where they don't have auto gratuities. We always leave an envelope with a thank note and money for our room steward.

Also which has been often said, treat the staff with respect, as they all work very hard, and making our cruise good,

Make others happy and you will be happy

Cheers Don

We don't leave envelopes and we don't wait until the last day. We usually hand out $20s to whomever we felt did a great job. We leave the auto tips on and we don't feel that we need to give more generously beyond that small extra bit.

We ask for very little service from our stewards not really needing them in our cabin every day. We don't change towels every day at home and don't do it on the cruise. As we need things we ask for them and maybe on a 7 day ask them to do a complete cabin cleaning once. Do you clean your house every day at home? We don't.

I usually give out three tips to the people that cruise on the Rowboat. #1 Don’t stand up. #2 Don’t make the Captain mad. #3 Most important Don’t drink my friend Thrak’s Scotch. :whiskey-glass: :D

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

:D best answer of this whole thread!:D

Cruise critic has a tipping guide and they recommend $2-$3 per person/day for your cabin steward.

The auto-gratuities are supposed to cover suggested tip amounts. Cruise Critic suggestion seems to be in addition to the auto-tip and in all cases. Seems to me any amount in addition to the autotip should be just for extra good service,

Edited by caribill

YES; we leave the Auto Grats on our bill and they deserve it. We have only felt that we received superior service one time from our steward and left him what we thought was appropriate in an envelope with his name on it. We thought he was so amazing! However, I am wondering what others tip when thanking their steward.

For a 7 night cruise?

For a 10 night cruise?

We leave on a 7 night East Coast in a few days on the Regal!!! Very excited to be on

this ship for the first time!

Thanks so much. :cool:

We usually leave $25 for a 7 night, $30 for a 10.

That is just one persons thoughts on tipping with a general suggestion. You can find similiar articles in many places on the internet with differing amounts. Nothing binding.

I found other articles on Cruise Critic while looking for the one referenced above--as noted, they suggested everything from the "auto gratuities" only to almost doubling the auto gratuities thru additional tips.

Those opinions are no more insightful or binding than opinions on these threads. Princess has named the amount thru the auto-grats. Anything else is a personal decision.

I say give whatever you are comfortable giving. We always leave the auto-grat on and give extra to whichever persons stand out during our time on board. Usually, that's or room steward, our table waiter and assistant (we always do TD), and likely one or two persons at the bars. I always think about when my children were working their way through college waiting table and how much a few extra dollars meant to them. I am normally very generous to those that made my trip a little bit better. After all, it's just money!!

I usually give out three tips to the people that cruise on the Rowboat. #1 Don’t stand up. #2 Don’t make the Captain mad. #3 Most important Don’t drink my friend Thrak’s Scotch. :whiskey-glass: :D

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

Nailed it! Especially about the Scotch. Last time I sailed on the Rowboat (in the Executive Mop Closet Suite of course!) you were down to only 6 cases. Dangerously low. Glad to see you are protecting the stash. :cool::whiskey-glass:

Note: Tell your wife "Hi" for me. I hear she thinks we are both nuts. Smart lady! :D

I leave the autotips on. Other than that I might give a buck or two when I'm getting drinks.

Last time we were in club class, I did tip our servers a minimal amount the last night. I don't feel that I should have to double pay tips.

That's my personal opinion.

On our upcoming cruise our grats. will be $13.50 x 2 people x 25 days for a total of $675. I feel like that's enough already.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

That's the way I felt on our April cruise--tips were $460 for 10 days (first time in a window suite). That's enough, especially as this booking came with no perks. Princess has decided what the right amount is by charging the auto-gratuities. Beyond that, if you are so inclined, fine. If not, the auto-tips cover your obligation.

YES; we leave the Auto Grats on our bill and they deserve it. We have only felt that we received superior service one time from our steward and left him what we thought was appropriate in an envelope with his name on it. We thought he was so amazing! However, I am wondering what others tip when thanking their steward.

For a 7 night cruise?

For a 10 night cruise?

We leave on a 7 night East Coast in a few days on the Regal!!! Very excited to be on

this ship for the first time!

Thanks so much. :cool:

I leave $100 per 7 day cruise.