Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ghstudio

Elite cocktail hours extended...permanent change

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

 

You can still do that. Being limited to three drinks does not stop you from tipping the bartender, having comraderie with the bartender or the stop the bartender from mixing concoctions. I do all that and have never had more than three drinks. Usually we have one or two.  It does not change the ambiance having three drinks or less except I guess that I am sober. 

Yeah, you're sober.  I'm thinking you just don't get it, but that's my personal opinion.  

 

Some people think what's good for them should be good for everyone else.  That's not how the world works, unless you are a liberal.  

Edited by Wine-O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

Yeah, you're sober.  I'm thinking you just don't get it, but that's my personal opinion.  

 

Some people think what's good for them should be good for everyone else.  That's not how the world works, unless you are a liberal.  

 

Not at all. Get as drunk as you want as long as you don’t hurt someone else.  Be as unhealthy as you want. That is your personal decision. I just don’t think you are entitled to unlimited free drinks. I would call you the liberal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

 

Not at all. Get as drunk as you want as long as you don’t hurt someone else.  Be as unhealthy as you want. That is your personal decision. I just don’t think you are entitled to unlimited free drinks. I would call you the liberal. 

 

You really don't get it do you. It wouldn't matter if it was unlimited drinks for 2 hours or  ice cream cones, it's about principle, trust, and loyalty. When someone is enticed to spend thousands of $$$ and years trying to attain a certain benefit, then when you get there it's simply taken it away from you...   

Do you really think that is right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ballymacjim said:

 

You really don't get it do you. It wouldn't matter if it was unlimited drinks for 2 hours or  ice cream cones, it's about principle, trust, and loyalty. When someone is enticed to spend thousands of $$$ and years trying to attain a certain benefit, then when you get there it's simply taken it away from you...   

Do you really think that is right?

 

I get that some people are gullible enough to spend thousands for a few crumbs and are getting upset when there is a small change to the crumbs handed out. Cruise lines are loyal to the bottom line not loyal to you. Don’t choose a cruise out of misguided loyalty to a cruise line. Cruise lines are not a country or a cause. I do enjoy the little perks but I have gotten them in the normal course of cruising not by trying to attain them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

 

I get that some people are gullible enough to spend thousands for a few crumbs and are getting upset when there is a small change to the crumbs handed out. Cruise lines are loyal to the bottom line not loyal to you. Don’t choose a cruise out of misguided loyalty to a cruise line. Cruise lines are not a country or a cause. I do enjoy the little perks but I have gotten them in the normal course of cruising not by trying to attain them. 

 

Whoooooooosh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

 

I get that some people are gullible enough to spend thousands for a few crumbs and are getting upset when there is a small change to the crumbs handed out. Cruise lines are loyal to the bottom line not loyal to you. Don’t choose a cruise out of misguided loyalty to a cruise line. Cruise lines are not a country or a cause. I do enjoy the little perks but I have gotten them in the normal course of cruising not by trying to attain them. 

Liberal or not liberal, who cares?

 

It used to be that agreements were made with handshakes. People relied on trust and honor to enforce them. Now there are armies of lawyers and every site, purchase, and experience has pages of small print. While @Charles4515 has changed his tune at least once (first unhealthy, then undeserved), the Captains Club does state that they can change things at any time. However, that doesn't address the "handshake agreement" of loyalty benefits that X has constantly advertised. Which explains why some people feel the unlimited quantity Elite happy hour was taken away.

 

But folks, let's not argue with @Charles4515 as he has on blinders and only his thoughts matter. When talking with a mule, who is crazier - the mule who doesn't change, or the one who is talking and trying to change the mule?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, killsport said:

Liberal or not liberal, who cares?

 

Really. I want to know Dog or Cat owner. That my friend is the real sign of the apocalypse.

 

screen-shot-2014-05-22-at-4-21-20-pm.png 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ballymacjim said:

 

You really don't get it do you. It wouldn't matter if it was unlimited drinks for 2 hours or  ice cream cones, it's about principle, trust, and loyalty. When someone is enticed to spend thousands of $$$ and years trying to attain a certain benefit, then when you get there it's simply taken it away from you...   

Do you really think that is right?

 

I fear that you might not really get it, either. I hope you realize for many people (perhaps most people) the change is viewed as an enhancement/improvement.  Having 3 drinks loaded on you sea pass card that are good at any bar including the dining locations from 5-7 PM is a very desirable change for many people.  Also being able to pick up water, soda, or beer to take back to you cabin without getting dressed for dinner is a significant improvement.

 

The number of people without a drink package desiring to have more than three drinks in 2 hours in one location has to be a relatively small number.

 

On the other hand, you and some others obviously are included in the small number adversely affected. I am just pointing out that for many (I think most) this change is an additional giveaway and not a takeaway.

 

With the ever increasing number of Elites and Elite+ Cruisers , the Sky Lounge with unlimited drinks was not at all practical IMO.  The drink coupons used when the numbers were large was always better and favorited by most people.  This is not new and has been going on for 4 or 5 years out of necessity on some cruises.  I never heard anyone complain about it, when it was used.  Nothing like a a few free drinks at the Sunset Bar on a nice day before getting ready for dinner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Drink coupons used when the numbers were large was always better and favorited by most people.  This is not new and has been going on for 4 or 5 years out of necessity on some cruises.

 

I'm afraid you don't seem to get it either, where have i said anywhere that i disagree with the 3 drinks on the seapass card?

As you readily admit above, the 3 drinks on the card is nothing new, its been happening for years, the only thing that IS new is the removal of unlimited drinks in the lounge, if that's not a takeaway i don't know what is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What an interesting topic... Just found this thread.. We have been with Celebrity for years and this is new... We really like going to the Sky Lounge and we have met some wonderful people there. It diminishes the exclusivity of the working your way up over the years to the Elite level. To solve the unlimited problem, we will have to make friends with Elites that are non or minimal drinkers...:classic_biggrin:🎈   See you all soon...  We are on the 10 day March, 2019 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ballymacjim said:

 

I'm afraid you don't seem to get it either, where have i said anywhere that i disagree with the 3 drinks on the seapass card?

As you readily admit above, the 3 drinks on the card is nothing new, its been happening for years, the only thing that IS new is the removal of unlimited drinks in the lounge, if that's not a takeaway i don't know what is!

Perhaps you are confusing Celebrity with a different cruise line?  The 3 drinks on the sea pass card is in fact very new on most cruises.  The 3 coupons instead of unlimited drinks in the Sky Lounge was only used on a small number of cruises based on my experience.  Repositioning cruises and selective longer cruises. ( last year’s 14 day Eclipse cruise did not use the coupons).  Whenever the coupons were used, you had to use them In the SkyLounge.  Therefore the unlimited drinks in the Sky Lounge did not exist when the coupons were used.

 

Based on my experience, two things are new.

1. The three drinks will be loaded on the Sea Pass cards for all cruises to be used at any bar offering those drinks.

2. The cards can be used for the free drinks in the dining locations.

 

I can understand why you and I have a different understanding of the facts.

 

You believe the coupons/drinks on the sea pass cards has been happening for years, therefore it has been Celebrity’s standard practice for years./ I believe it was only used on a very small number of cruises and the most significant new change is that it will now be the standard practice on all cruise.

 

I assume that you believe when the coupons were used on that small number of cruises, that passengers could still have unlimited drinks in the Sky Lounge from 5-7 PM./ My experience has been that on the small number of cruises that yused the coupons that the unlimited drinks in the Sky Lounge was also eliminated.  I do suspect that although the coupons were not transferable, that some cruisers may have been given extra unused coupons. This might make some people feel it was unlimited?  The sea pass card eliminates this option.

 

The bottom line is:

 

1.  You seem to feel the loading of the drinks on the sea pass card (and the associated benefits including dining use age) is not new.

2.  You seem to feel the elimination of the unlimited free drinks in the Sky Lounge when the coupons (sea pass drinks) is something new, thus you view it has a takeaway.

 

I am suspicious that you will still disagree on the facts.  Hopefully you will understand why some of us do not share you view.  I understand (based on my above assumptions) why you consider it a takeaway.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have done 5 TA’s in the past 5 years. On every roll call, people with drink packages were offering to give their elite drink coupons to fellow passengers who had not reached elite and were otherwise not entitled to them.  Just sayin’. 

 

Personally, I much prefer not having to remember to bring my dated coupons with me every evening, and having the option of going to other bars, especially when we just want to quickly pick up water bottles or soda. YMMV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Yes, Wine-O is making a change. RCCL and Celebrity are very different experiences. And I don’t think Wine-O and most other cruisers who are switching from a Line they’ve used numerous times really care about Corporate Finances or punishing some Company, I think that whatever reason they list is the reason they are changing.

 

Myself, Celebrity still meets my cruising interests and needs. Done 30+ and 20+ on Celebrity. Do I see changes? Yup. Are some on them because I’ve become a bit jaded and start to nitpick? Yup. Have tried other Lines, and came back to this Line. I’m not a big Carnival fan, but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t cruise Princess or other CCL LInes - heck I’ll cruise Carnival this Dec with my kids/grandkids.  I don’t care what Corporate entity runs it. Why would anyone. 

 

Den 

Yes I do.

if I don’t owned their stock I will never cruise with them.

As an investor I only support the companies that I have share with.

Edited by verizon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, neilrr said:

What an interesting topic... Just found this thread.. We have been with Celebrity for years and this is new... We really like going to the Sky Lounge and we have met some wonderful people there. It diminishes the exclusivity of the working your way up over the years to the Elite level. To solve the unlimited problem, we will have to make friends with Elites that are non or minimal drinkers...:classic_biggrin:🎈   See you all soon...  We are on the 10 day March, 2019 

That's the rub of course. It is way too easy to become Elite and it's been that way for a while, even more under the old Captain's Club scheme. Someone in Celebrity in the past didn't think it through very well, thus the situation we have now. Ships with lots Elite guests consuming their "free" drinks.  

 

It's come home to roost. Something had to give. 

 

Phil 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

That's the rub of course. It is way too easy to become Elite and it's been that way for a while, even more under the old Captain's Club scheme. Someone in Celebrity in the past didn't think it through very well, thus the situation we have now. Ships with lots Elite guests consuming their "free" drinks.  

 

It's come home to roost. Something had to give. 

 

Phil 

Hi Phil:  We liked it better when you had to sign up and pay $35 to belong to the Captain's Club and there were fewer people.  It was the best $35 we ever spent.  When they made it free - Celebrity actually gave us a $50 SBC. That is why they made the Elite+ and the Elite Zenith now.

 

In the scheme of things liquor costs the cruise lines a minimal amount and they make plenty of money off of it.  Princess now limits the number of drinks on the package (per day) and it begin again at 6:00 AM. Some people tend to abuse a good thing.. As you said it comes home to roost... Neil 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've had a premium beverage package for years so seldom went to the happy hour or used coupons when given.  If Celebrity would 1) allow passengers to use the loaded coupons on beverages on the classic package and 2) allow guests with late dining to use them in the dining room at dinner the cruisers might be more accepting of the change.  Neither of these options would impact Celebrity's bottom line IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We've had a premium beverage package for years so seldom went to the happy hour or used coupons when given.  If Celebrity would 1) allow passengers to use the loaded coupons on beverages on the classic package and 2) allow guests with late dining to use them in the dining room at dinner the cruisers might be more accepting of the change.  Neither of these options would impact Celebrity's bottom line IMO.

I agree I don't think its fair that late diners can't have one of the coupons for dinner like early diners. They should extend the hours even if just for the dining room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Perhaps you are confusing Celebrity with a different cruise line?  The 3 drinks on the sea pass card is in fact very new on most cruises.  The 3 coupons instead of unlimited drinks in the Sky Lounge was only used on a small number of cruises based on my experience.  Repositioning cruises and selective longer cruises. ( last year’s 14 day Eclipse cruise did not use the coupons).  Whenever the coupons were used, you had to use them In the SkyLounge.  Therefore the unlimited drinks in the Sky Lounge did not exist when the coupons were used.

 

Based on my experience, two things are new.

1. The three drinks will be loaded on the Sea Pass cards for all cruises to be used at any bar offering those drinks.

2. The cards can be used for the free drinks in the dining locations.

 

I can understand why you and I have a different understanding of the facts.

 

You believe the coupons/drinks on the sea pass cards has been happening for years, therefore it has been Celebrity’s standard practice for years./ I believe it was only used on a very small number of cruises and the most significant new change is that it will now be the standard practice on all cruise.

 

I assume that you believe when the coupons were used on that small number of cruises, that passengers could still have unlimited drinks in the Sky Lounge from 5-7 PM./ My experience has been that on the small number of cruises that yused the coupons that the unlimited drinks in the Sky Lounge was also eliminated.  I do suspect that although the coupons were not transferable, that some cruisers may have been given extra unused coupons. This might make some people feel it was unlimited?  The sea pass card eliminates this option.

 

The bottom line is:

 

1.  You seem to feel the loading of the drinks on the sea pass card (and the associated benefits including dining use age) is not new.

2.  You seem to feel the elimination of the unlimited free drinks in the Sky Lounge when the coupons (sea pass drinks) is something new, thus you view it has a takeaway.

 

I am suspicious that you will still disagree on the facts.  Hopefully you will understand why some of us do not share you view.  I understand (based on my above assumptions) why you consider it a takeaway.

 

 

 

 

Haven't even read this, got to the second line and thought...   life's too short.

Anyway, it's almost 7 and I'm thirsty...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Wine-O said:

Yeah, you're sober.  I'm thinking you just don't get it, but that's my personal opinion.  

 

Some people think what's good for them should be good for everyone else.  That's not how the world works, unless you are a liberal.  

This is getting completely out of hand IMHO. Different people have different opinions. A person's opinion of a new Celebrity policy about free drinks for a loyalty class has absolutely nothing to do with someone's political views. Furthermore, labeling people who had a differing opinion than I hold is non-productive to a healthy discussion and is against forum rules. A little perspective about the issue being discussed would be nice along with recognition that others are entitled to their own opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 I do understand the feeling that something has been taken away, however, the old loyalty perk doesn't really fit anymore with how we like to enjoy any cocktail, water, soda, wine or whatever we choose.  I think it would be an awesome perk if you could use it through-out the day to meet your needs. Special Coffees, water, soda, wine, whatever it is, but that isn't the option we have.... and the new one does seem pretty flexible to fit more peoples needs. 

 

SO, instead, we enjoy getting what we want, when we want it - and we should, we're on vacation, but, if one of the perks works, we use it!  On occasion we like to have a bellini or mimosa in the morning as something special on a sea day to start the day, we  only do that on our cruise, and it makes it special and something to look forward to when we're renewing ourselves at sea..... 

(and I believe that is still a loyalty perk in the morning)

Edited by cruizefam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

 

Not at all. Get as drunk as you want as long as you don’t hurt someone else.  Be as unhealthy as you want. That is your personal decision. I just don’t think you are entitled to unlimited free drinks. I would call you the liberal. 

 

Prior to this change anyone who was CC Elite and higher were entitled to unlimited free drinks during the CC Happy Hour. The original discussion wasn’t about whether this was healthy or not. The issue is that a promotional CC perk is being slowly adjusted to provide more cost savings for the company, While becoming less attractive to many members. I’ve been to many CC events and don’t recall seeing anyone overly intoxicated and expect that the crew carefully monitors drink consumption and pace refills to heavy drinkers to avoid situations that could result in potential liability if someone were to get hurt. Either way, a change is a change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I for one am glad they extended the hours. I just got off the Jewel RCCl and loved the hours of 500=830 for three drinks on our card. It was nice to be able to have a glass of wine in the dining room. We had not cruised on RCCl for 21 years. ALSO when my husband went to get our drink the first night the three drinks were included. 

 

We do mostly celebrity cruises.  In March on the Edge, we have the drink package as a perk. I have never bought the drink package, we just do not drink enough to justify it. The one thing I like better about Celebrity is the martini bar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, cindygad said:

I for one am glad they extended the hours. I just got off the Jewel RCCl and loved the hours of 500=830 for three drinks on our card. It was nice to be able to have a glass of wine in the dining room. We had not cruised on RCCl for 21 years. ALSO when my husband went to get our drink the first night the three drinks were included. 

 

We do mostly celebrity cruises.  In March on the Edge, we have the drink package as a perk. I have never bought the drink package, we just do not drink enough to justify it. The one thing I like better about Celebrity is the martini bar. 

Jewel is RCCL.  You get unlimited drinks in the Diamond Lounge for 3 1/2 hours + 3 drinks on your card.  We're talking Celebrity here where you get 3 drinks on your card, period, and that is it between 5-7.  Their new policy sucks!  You no longer get Elite Lounge unlimited drinks.  LLP would prefer to piss people off rather than cost them the additional 50 cents for a beer or a vodka drink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

 

The issue is that a promotional CC perk is being slowly adjusted to provide more cost savings for the company, While becoming less attractive to many members.

 

But it can't be proved there is a cost savings. Every evening that the lounge was open many Elite members do not go to the lounge. Only a subset. When I sailed with freinds who were not Elite we hardly went to the Elite lounge. With the option of having the drinks at any bar/lounge or the dining room more drinks may be poured. May not be a savings at all.  So the change will make the perk less atractive to those who down more than 3 drinks in two hours the change be fine with those who have lthree or less drinks which is a reasonable number and can have them at any bar and the dining room. On a recent RCI cruise where they also load 3 drinks on the card we had a mixed group of Diamond members and not. We had our drinks before dinner in the Schooner Lounge. Since the friends could not go to the Diamond Lounge, without those drinks loaded on the card we would have purchased all our drinks. My experience is that the change is an enhancement of the perk. Of course I will admit I would never have more then three drinks in a two hour period and we also usually don't spend a whole two hours in the lounge. Only an hour or an hour and a half at most. Lot of other things happening onboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...