Tender Unloading Accident on Maasdam

mrmac

The Newsweek story in post #84 said she fell off a tender platform. There is not enough information to determine from the story if she was ever even in the tender. She may have had a medical condition that caused her to faint and fall, unrelated to any roughness. I assume that would be part of an investigation.

Terrible news.   I imagine this will impact tendering versus skipping port decisions.   On a Celebrity cruise in Australia, a lady I knew fell between the tender and the dock.  Had the crew not had a grip on her she would have been crushed between the two. or drowned.   The sea was very rough that evening.   Very sorry about this tragic accident.  As others have said we don't have all the information.

34 minutes ago, PSR said:

The Newsweek story in post #84 said she fell off a tender platform. There is not enough information to determine from the story if she was ever even in the tender. She may have had a medical condition that caused her to faint and fall, unrelated to any roughness. I assume that would be part of an investigation.

This is my guess too.

Like, she had a heart attack/stroke/whatever, fell off a platform, pulled from the water alive but died unfortunately afterward.  

Hope the crew crew use the counseling provided. Very sad accident. 

Edited by sppunk

1 hour ago, sppunk said:

This is my guess too.

Like, she had a heart attack/stroke/whatever, fell off a platform, pulled from the water alive but died unfortunately afterward.  

Hope the crew crew use the counseling provided. Very sad accident. 

Same here. It is not clear, and cannot be ruled out with the little information given.  That’s what the coroner will do. And releasing more information could violate the ladies privacy, especially if there was another medical condition involved.

Years back there was an article in one of the nursing journals that many falls by seniors that result in a fractured “hip” are caused by the fracture, and not the other way around.

After reading this thread I would certainly be afraid of posting about something tragic that happened on a cruise I am on for fear of being called a liar. I hope the Newsweek article and other one silenced the trolls. I have been a member of the CC forum for 11 years and don't recall reading people being called liars before.

One thing I have noticed in my 11 years here is some people are ridiculously defensive of whatever favorite cruise line they have and refuse to believe anything negative about it. Of course on the other hand there are those who are never happy and post negative things about a cruise where almost all of the other reviews are very positive. People are funny!

• Like 8

Another update in Cook Island News, says Maasdam cancelled todays visit because of conditions.

They also give a few more details on last weeks incident...

The Maasdam was on its third visit to Rarotonga since October. Last Wednesday it was the scene of tragedy as a 70-year-old woman, believed to be a US citizen, died while disembarking from a tender on to the landing platform.

The event appeared to have been hushed up, but after unconfirmed report of the incident was posted on a website on Monday, Police and Transport ministry officials confirmed an investigation was underway into the death and would be taken up by another investigator once the ship reached New Zealand. Police said the Coroner was currently conducting an inquest and was awaiting a pathologist’s report from New Zealand.

Requests from CINews for information from the Holland America Line met with no response, but were more forthcoming with Newsweek, who had a story on their website yesterday.

The story said the Holland America Line had said in a statement that the woman had fallen into the sea from a tender platform and had passed away at 1.30 pm Cook Islands time, after she was pulled back on board.

The woman had been still conscious when she was pulled from the water, the statement added.

“She then lost consciousness on the platform and could not be revived by medical staff at the scene,” the cruise company said.

“Authorities were notified and company care team counsellors assisted her family and other guests during this difficult time,” the statement read.

“We are saddened by this event, and our thoughts and prayers are with the family.”

The Masdaam was 10 days into a two-week cruise of French Polynesia. A spokesperson for Holland America told Newsweek the reason for the woman’s fall was currently unknown.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Another update in Cook Island News, says Maasdam cancelled todays visit because of conditions.

They also give a few more details on last weeks incident...

My contact with the Editor, Cook Islands News, confirmed this; quoting from his email:

"Yes, CINews ran a story on this on Tuesday when I discovered mention of it on a website on Monday morning. It had been kept quiet till then. There were also comments from passengers on a cruise passenger forum.

I followed up with another story this morning after the Masdaam stopped off Rarotonga as scheduled yesterday, then abandoned plans to bring passengers ashore. Apparently the captain wasn’t very happy when he saw the story. Newsweek has since also published Holland America’s version of the incident on their website.

Regards,

Cameron Scott"

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, drowelf said:

Well this event made the ABC Evening News today. No real details, other than a woman fell from a platform during tender operations and died. 

Yes, I heard this on David Muir's news tonight......I just cannot understand why so many people on CC just wear something like this out with all their negativity and argumentative natures....maybe they have nothing better to do. Peace be with this lost soul.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, eclue said:

Yes, I heard this on David Muir's news tonight......I just cannot understand why so many people on CC just wear something like this out with all their negativity and argumentative natures....maybe they have nothing better to do. Peace be with this lost soul.

What "negativity and argumentative natures"?  Yes, this was a tragic accident and most posters have expressed their sympathy for the family involved, but there is a legitimate thirst for details as in any accident of this nature, so that precautions can be taken to prevent recurrence.

On 11/13/2018 at 9:32 PM, Cruise_More_Often said:

The headline of that article is misleading.  Not one "question" about safety is raised in the article, and no assertion is made that the ship's crew was at fault for not following correct procedures.  It's simply a benign description of what happened.

On 11/13/2018 at 7:24 PM, notladjr said:

One thing I have noticed in my 11 years here is some people are ridiculously defensive of whatever favorite cruise line they have and refuse to believe anything negative about it. 

It's become like a following a sports team.  No objectivity.  Just be all in with the team or not at all.  There are other contemporary phenomena like this but I won't mention them here.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, cruising cockroach said:

It's become like a following a sports team.  No objectivity.  Just be all in with the team or not at all.  There are other contemporary phenomena like this but I won't mention them here.

Nothing new. It’s been going on for at least the past 9 years.

• Like 1

As an aside (or back to the topic - safety of tendering), I do remember reading on this forum  a few years ago about very unabled body passengers pretty much expecting the crew to get them on and off the boats.  It can be pretty dangerous for all involved.

Some proximate table mates on a cruise were passing through the Azores for the second time.  The man had suffered a stroke and while still mobile and able to walk without assistance of any sort, wasn't so quick and agile on his feet.  He knew his limitations so he decided not to go ashore, his second miss for that area which was a disappointment to him.  We've had stops where we went ashore for a brief look and came back, and those who had remained onshore had to wait quite a while to board due to sea condition which wasn't all that rough, just windy.  

With HAL's demographic, the ships should be designed with an internal dock like some military amphibious assault ships.  Take way too much room away from revenue generating functions though.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cruising cockroach said:

With HAL's demographic, the ships should be designed with an internal dock like some military amphibious assault ships.  Take way too much room away from revenue generating functions though.

hms albion l-14 amphibious transport dock landing platform ship lpd royal navy 04 well deck

• Like 3