Honeymoon night mare because we were not able to take the trip bought for us...

mistyandrade

13 hours ago, mistyandrade said:

I appreciate all info and suggestions, whether it's good or bad.. This was our first time going on a cruise, so we did not know how important it was too take all documentation.. We both work allot and havent found the time to travel yet , like I said I had it together either way I just left it behind....  I placed everything else in my marriage license envelop but the BC cause I found it the day before our wedding. I know now too make copies and start packing in advance and use a checklist... It's a tough lesson to learn.. It just sucks my mom losing out on almost $1000.. But it's my fault.. Thanks again everyone for all the advice.. 

FWIW, only original or copies of BC with raised seal is accepted. Hope this helps.

I understand you are like most of us and work too hard for too little, try to save $20 a week and in no time you can take a nice make up cruise.

47 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I would assume “cancel for any reason” means you can cancel for any reason. 

Someday you will be telling your kids about the honeymoon cruise that didn’t happen, and the cruises you’ve taken since. 

We got married in 1961 and our first cruise was in 1984, a cabin with no porthole and upper and lower bunks. We’ve made up for it since. You have a lot to look forward to. 

Insurance never covers a cause due to the insured's negligence..  

42 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

You actually can cancel even if you just changed your mind. You can’t do it day of sailing, though, and you don’t get your money back, just credit toward a future cruise. 

And yes, it would not have helped in this case. 

Then it wouldn't have helped OP at all. The CFAR policies that I've seen require cancellation 48 hours or more before the trip. Typically it's the insurance through the cruise line that pays in credit, private insurance usually pays cash (albeit not in the full amount).

This all must be heartbreaking. So sorry. My dad used to say “Lessons cost, good lessons cost A LOT”. The cruise line cannot board people without documentation, this is out of their hands. And frankly, I am thankful they do require some proof as we unfortunately live in a day and age where this is necessary. 

Now moving forward, I would take the refunded port fees and taxes and go to a nice hotel for a romantic weekend and dinner so you at least have a moment to savor your day.

Then you should set up a savings plan to save enough to take the cruise as well as a structured plan to pay off wedding debt. Maybe forego big Christmas gifts and instead put that money towards a deposit or in a “cruise fund” for the future. Turn this into a life learning lesson and set yourself up for good financial habits as a couple at the same time. Good luck and congrats on getting married... 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CoasterGuy said:

OP,  really sorry this happened to you. Stuff happens. Learn from it and move on.

Gotta love all the perfect people on these forums who have never made a mistake in their entire lives......

It's not about being perfect, it's about making mistakes and learning from them. I'm sure the poster will never forget an important document again, ever.

That's the first thing you do is make sure you have your documents, tickets, etc with you before you head out to go somewhere they're needed. Well, nowadays, you can pull up concert/event tickets on your phone but you get what I'm saying.

My very first cruise was the day after my wedding and I had our documents. It's just what you do. I personally can't understand forgetting those for something so important but everyone is different. 

Edited by tonit964

8 hours ago, CoasterGuy said:

OP,  really sorry this happened to you. Stuff happens. Learn from it and move on.

Gotta love all the perfect people on these forums who have never made a mistake in their entire lives......

I don’t think anyone who has posted on this thread thinks they are perfect.  However, it is pretty irresponsible to not bring documentation required to board a ship. I may occasionally forget to pack something for a trip, but I have never (and will never) forget our passports when going on a cruise or flying internationally. 

20 hours ago, bigcraig said:

FWIW, only original or copies of BC with raised seal is accepted. Hope this helps.

I understand you are like most of us and work too hard for too little, try to save $20 a week and in no time you can take a nice make up cruise.

Many states do not issue birth certificates with raised seals, so this advice is not correct.  And some lines even state that a "clear copy" of a birth certificate is sufficient.  As far as CBP is concerned, a photocopy is acceptable.

Edited by chengkp75

40 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t think anyone who has posted on this thread thinks they are perfect.  However, it is pretty irresponsible to not bring documentation required to board a ship. I may occasionally forget to pack something for a trip, but I have never (and will never) forget our passports when going on a cruise or flying internationally. 

Wow.  Of course it's irresponsible.  But goodness, a young bride with a lot on her mind made a mistake.  She didn't hurt someone or steal something.  And if she's very lucky her husband will be telling the story for the bazillionth time on their 50th wedding anniversary.  Best wishes on long, happy marriage.

So why is it 100% her fault and no responsibility of the husband? Did he not plan to go along? I know, we women usually fall into that role but we need to stop beating ourselves up and spread out the partnership.

And as a mom I hate to say this but the mom is a tiny bit responsible for not making sure they knew the importance of documentation since they had never cruised and she had.

The best advice I have seen here is to get into a Dave Ramsay course and pay off your debts before even thinking of another cruise or vacation.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Then it wouldn't have helped OP at all. The CFAR policies that I've seen require cancellation 48 hours or more before the trip. Typically it's the insurance through the cruise line that pays in credit, private insurance usually pays cash (albeit not in the full amount).

You are not totally correct.

Carnival's Insurance includes Cancel For Any Reason.

Carnivals policy is that you can cancel "up to scheduled departure" and receive a 75% future cruise credit.

In this particular instance, the OP could have implemented this Cancel For Any Reason clause when denied boarding at the pier. They could have then used that 75% future cruise credit the following week if needed.

RCCL's insurance policy has the same CFAR clause regarding when the cancellation must take place.

You are correct in that most 3rd party insurance providers require cancellation at 48 hours prior to scheduled departure.

5 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Carnivals policy is that you can cancel "up to scheduled departure" and receive a 75% future cruise credit.

In this particular instance, the OP could have implemented this Cancel For Any Reason clause when denied boarding at the pier. They could have then used that 75% future cruise credit the following week if needed.

RCCL's insurance policy has the same CFAR clause regarding when the cancellation must take place.

You are correct in that most 3rd party insurance providers require cancellation at 48 hours prior to scheduled departure.

Since I was talking about CFAR policies that I had seen how could I not be correct? Never claimed to have seen them all. Good to know that cruise line policies allow cancellation up until departure but that alone wouldn't make me book insurance with them.

4 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Good to know that cruise line policies allow cancellation up until departure

You're very welcome. :)

Glad I was able to share new information with someone.

Disclaimer:

Might not be ALL cruise line policies have that CFAR cancellation time frame. Devil is in the details.

30 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Carnival's insurance still doesn't cover refused boarding.  

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Carnival's insurance still doesn't cover refused boarding.  

But the Cancel For Any Reason clause would have allowed them to cancel prior to ship departure and received a 75% credit for a future cruise.

The Cancel For Any Reason clause is just what it says,,,, you need to cancel for a reason that is otherwise not a covered reason. OP forgot her documentation, ship has not departed yet,,, call Carnival and invoke the Cancel For Any Reason

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

But the Cancel For Any Reason clause would have allowed them to cancel prior to ship departure and received a 75% credit for a future cruise.

The Cancel For Any Reason clause is just what it says,,,, you need to cancel for a reason that is otherwise not a covered reason. OP forgot her documentation, ship has not departed yet,,, call Carnival and invoke the Cancel For Any Reason

I would be shocked if that worked, not implausible, though. 

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:28 PM, mistyandrade said:
I've been in your shoes-I missed a cruise probably 10 yrs ago now and it still sucks thinking about it!  However I learned a ton from it (don't prepay anything you don't have to), and I'm sure you did as well.  You will most likely get your port fees back (at least I did back then)-use it to start a cruise or honeymoon fund.  Watch for deals and you might get a honeymoon sooner than you think! If you can be flexible, there are sometimes amazing deals to be found.

This is really sad and disappointing.  I'm so sorry you didn't get to go on your honeymoon cruise.  I hope you get another opportunity in the future....and when you do, make a list and check it a dozen times, and one last time as you're walking out the door.

Edited by Florings

On 11/13/2018 at 9:48 PM, mistyandrade said:

I appreciate all info and suggestions, whether it's good or bad.. This was our first time going on a cruise, so we did not know how important it was too take all documentation.. We both work allot and havent found the time to travel yet , like I said I had it together either way I just left it behind....  I placed everything else in my marriage license envelop but the BC cause I found it the day before our wedding. I know now too make copies and start packing in advance and use a checklist... It's a tough lesson to learn.. It just sucks my mom losing out on almost $1000.. But it's my fault.. Thanks again everyone for all the advice.. 

Your reply is so nice, especially considering there were so many that weren't nice to you. We've all been young and inexperienced with many life lessons to learn and sometimes they are hard sadly. Sadly people won't always respond compassionately.

I hope you get to take a cruise at some point - maybe celebrate a milestone anniversary that way! I wish I were debt free  - almost have my house paid off and I'm in my 40s so that' pretty good but I have more debt than I'd like from earlier poor decisions. Now when we cruise. I book it a year or more in advance and buy those 10% off give cards and use them to pay it off before we board.

Please stick around cruise critic for some good tips and try a future cruise - after you get a little more on your feet and settled. Many happy wishes for a great future!

15 hours ago, poz222 said:

This all must be heartbreaking. So sorry. My dad used to say “Lessons cost, good lessons cost A LOT”. The cruise line cannot board people without documentation, this is out of their hands. And frankly, I am thankful they do require some proof as we unfortunately live in a day and age where this is necessary. 

Now moving forward, I would take the refunded port fees and taxes and go to a nice hotel for a romantic weekend and dinner so you at least have a moment to savor your day.

Then you should set up a savings plan to save enough to take the cruise as well as a structured plan to pay off wedding debt. Maybe forego big Christmas gifts and instead put that money towards a deposit or in a “cruise fund” for the future. Turn this into a life learning lesson and set yourself up for good financial habits as a couple at the same time. Good luck and congrats on getting married... 

OP this is the best advise I have seen on here.  Make lemonade out of the lemons you just picked.  It is all in your attitude going forward.  I am positive you have learned a valuable lesson from your mistake and I highly doubt you would ever do it again.  If only we could all have 20/20 hindsight.  Now it is time to move forward with your new life.  As this poster stated take your refunded port fees and taxes and the spending money you would have taken on your cruise and plan a romantic weekend honeymoon.  You now have a story to tell your future kids and a life lesson to impart on them.  Make sure that story includes how you changed a "night mare" into a "dream" honeymoon by not giving into blame, regret, and self-pity and turning it around by being positive and making the most out of what you do have.

DH and I just celebrated 30 years together on our 18th cruise.  We didn't have much at all when we got married (started out in a trailer park with zero savings and some debt) but we did set priorities and stuck to them.  Priorities to get an MBA, paid by my employer, and a career started while waiting to have kids.  Priorities to pay off all our debt with the exception of our mortgage.  Priorities to save retirement funds, emergency funds, and college funds started in those first 5 years.  Priorities to invest our time and monies into our kids, once we had them, into their education and their activities.  They both will have graduated debt free from college once DD is done next year...they did their part in keeping costs down by living at home, getting scholarships, working, paying for books, and going to a local university.  In return we paid their tuition for 4 years.  Priorities to not live beyond our means (ie.  keeping cars 10+ years until they died, living in the house we built in 1990 until retirement and investing in it, shopping the clearance racks for clothes and other items, and not keeping up with latest technology or fads).  We never cared what the Jones did.  We followed our dreams and priorities and not theirs.  DD is a professional dancer and getting an education degree while DS is now an established Sports Editor and Journalist.  They followed their dreams.  It was not always easy.  I had several health issues along the way and came close to dying twice and I lost many dear family members way to young.  But we always kept a positive attitude and we always made sure to travel every year with and without kids.  It was a HUGE priority for us.  When times were tough we kept the travels shorter and closer to home.  Any bonuses we received were designated as vacation funds along with any other amounts we could put to it over the years.  We started cruising when our kids were 4 and 7.  We have now been on 18 (10 with and 8 without them) with 2 more planned so don't give up hope of ever going on one. 

It may take you some time but with the right mindset and attitude the future is yours to create.  Enjoy your marriage.  I hope you will be as happy in yours as I have been in mine.  Our goal is to retire in 3 years at 55 and cruising will play a big part in our retirement.  Set your goals and prioritize your life to get to them and anything is possible.

My heart really goes out to you. One’s honeymoon is so special, and your mom worked so hard to give you that special time away. Don’t beat yourself up, though. It’s a very rough lesson to learn, but one day when you’re on your 25th anniversary cruise, you guys are gonna laugh about it. I recommend starting a honeymoon fund. Instead of birthday and Christmas gifts, whatever you’d spend on each other, put into that fund. Ask for honeymoon money from everyone for your birthdays and Christmas. With the first money you get, order your passports; with those, you would have at least been able to fly to the first port to meet the ship. Then, save save save until you can take your cruise; don’t give up. One day, you WILL have enough money. When that day comes, create a packing spreadsheet (we do this because I have nightmares of forgetting our passports) that includes every single thing you need like passports, cruise boarding passes, clothes, toiletries, etc. Cross each item off as it’s put into your luggage. When the spreadsheet is fully crossed off, you’re done. It helps so much. Best of luck to you guys, and congratulations on your marriage! 

I hate to be mean on this. A honeymoon is supposed to be one of the most enjoyable times of you life. Instead, this turned into an absolutely terrible nightmare. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I'm very sorry for you. BUT, I know you'll eventually get a second chance, have a great time, and this will be behind you!

This doesn't look like "forgetful" mistake as much as it is negligence though. If I drove 5 hours to the port, chances are at some point, someone would have remembered this and turned around. You've gotta know what ID is required when you travel, and that is the last thing you have to check before you leave your house. It's like going to the airport without a driver's license. You just can't let it get to that.

After being in Vegas and a friend nearly lost his ID, it reminded me just how important not only ID is, but even a backup ID. 

We were very lucky on last cruise. It was my girlfriends first cruise so she only has birth certificate for documentation. Well the day before cruise her dog for some unknown reason decided to destroy papers on the table. Basically biting, ripping every paper up with his teeth. Well, her bc was one of the papers ripped up. We couldn't get another that day because it was Saturday. So we kept all the scraps- It was probably ripped into about 10 pieces. Piecing it together her name, parents names, the seal, and signature were still there-barely. There were some sections missing. I knew there would be trouble when we tried to board, and there was. They initially denied boarding when we pieced together the document but we begged to see manager. A manager came out and eyeballed it and said to tape it together and make a copy of it. which they did. He said to the the employee, "make it look right". They let us board- I couldn't believe it. I guess the key was we still had the document even though it was ripped to shreds.  Felt very lucky that day.

• Like 2

Really sorry that happened. I've seen it before on more than one Carnival cruise I've sailed on and its heartbreaking. We're all human and we make mistakes. Congratulations on your marriage and best wishes. Oh, and if you ever thought you would get anything but negative comments from cruise critic people you're in the wrong blog. There are some nasty people here!