Detained in Nassau with no help from cruise line.

lbsaady

First time cruising with family. Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas allows us off the boat (in Nassau) after showing our SeaPass card but didn’t mention (as we exited or on the literature) that we would need our passports or photo ID to get OUT of the port shopping area. As a result, my husband and son were separated from me and my daughter because they didn’t have photo ID with them (my daughter and I happened to have our drivers licenses with us). There was no explanation as to where they were being taken. Our son was very anxious and scared. He is afraid to get off the ship in Haiti, the next port, where we have a planned excursion. This situation did not have to happen if we had been notified PRIOR to leaving the ship that we needed anything more than our SeaPass card. Very disappointed with Royal Caribbean’s handling of this. 

This is unusual. I have cruised with Royal Caribbean several times and each time we got to a port we were reminded to have your SeaPass card and photo ID when disembarking. That information is in the cruise compass, on he TV in the room even the MDR staff remind us.The only times we never used them were on Labade  and Coco Cay.

17 minutes ago, lbsaady said:

First time cruising with family. Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas allows us off the boat (in Nassau) after showing our SeaPass card but didn’t mention (as we exited or on the literature) that we would need our passports or photo ID to get OUT of the port shopping area. As a result, my husband and son were separated from me and my daughter because they didn’t have photo ID with them (my daughter and I happened to have our drivers licenses with us). There was no explanation as to where they were being taken. Our son was very anxious and scared. He is afraid to get off the ship in Haiti, the next port, where we have a planned excursion. This situation did not have to happen if we had been notified PRIOR to leaving the ship that we needed anything more than our SeaPass card. Very disappointed with Royal Caribbean’s handling of this. 

So you all got back on board?  How did ship staff NOT help you?  When we went on our first cruise, we were at our first port, got all the way down near (if not at ) the gangway and saw a sign/was told we needed photo ID.  DW had brought her DL, I had not.  So we went all the way back to the room to get my ID.

I'm guessing if you went back and looked, there was notification you needed to bring photo ID that you didn't see (or ignored).  So problem #1 you need to claim as your fault.  

• Like 4

To be fair, not every port requires photo ID. I don't think Labadee requires it? When Symphony stopped in Malaga the Cruise Compass indicated that photo ID was not necessary to re-board, but suggested taking it anyway just in case it was needed elsewhere. We didn't need to show any ID other than the SeaPass to re-board the ship. But in general it's always a good idea to carry a photo ID just in case.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lbsaady said:

First time cruising with family. Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas allows us off the boat (in Nassau) after showing our SeaPass card but didn’t mention (as we exited or on the literature) that we would need our passports or photo ID to get OUT of the port shopping area. 

Hi lbsaady ☺️

So sorry to hear of the issue your family went through. However on (all) port days listed in your ship's daily Cruise Compass, you'll see on the front page for that particular port day, a section titled 'Be In The Know' or 'Tips Of The Day'. It instructs passengers to have their SeaPass card & photo ID when leaving & returning to the ship. I'll drop it below. 

ddc6d5a0-90e9-4f08-b97b-11faa16a588b-ori

☺️

Edited by PortSideCruzan
  • Like 3

On one of our first cruises at a stop in Key West one of us forgot their photo I'd.  When coming back to the ship the port personnel let the other run back onboard to get it.  Since then we always check the compass to see exactly what us needed and triple check we have it.

As others have said it's always in the compass and usually on a sign as you exit the ship.  What I don't get is how the port, and yes it's the port not the ship, detained them.  All they had to do was wait for you to run back and get their ID.

1 hour ago, lbsaady said:

I am sorry that you had to experience this.  It's obvious that you are a first time cruiser from your lack of general knowledge here .. But there seems to be a few things omitted from this description, and for us that you are complaining to, it would help to better understand with a few more details.

1.  If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the two of them were not allowed to leave the port?

2.  At that point, since they had not left the port, I would have thought the security would have just said " go back to the ship and get your id"   I am certain this happens often, as people are not aware or they just dont listen.

3. What could the ship have done at that point???

4.  how long were they "detained"  and you have yet to provide any details of what that actually means?

5.  how many others were detained???

I am sorry you had this happen... but honestly, I think you are making way to much of it.  You should always have your photo id with you (and technically I would never step foot on foreign soil without a credit card and my id. In case I needed to travel or purchase something large )

ps.  On all my nassau cruise compass  on the first page  there is a section called Seapass card and proof of citizenship  that says to bring seapass card and photo ID with you.    Perhaps you missed it, or perhaps since the navigator just got back from the TA it was omitted?

Edited by TheTruthCanHurt

5 minutes ago, lbsaady said:

It is not on the Cruise compass 

38 minutes ago, lbsaady said:

Sorry but the Cruise Compass always says this, it tells you what to bring off with you when leaving in a port. Also it says this on the online cruise planner, documents needed are outlined in cruise documents, cruise employees remind you constantly to always bring seapass and ID with you whenever leaving the ship.

i also agree with the poster that says that this is commen sense. Not to upset the OP or be judgemental or anything, but why would someone think that in a foreign country regardless of how you got there, that you wouldn’t need to show your ID. It is really basic travel commen sense in my opinion. 

I am sorry that this happened as that can be quite stressful but it isn’t the port, the cruise line, or anyone else’s fault. Perhaps in the future you will be sure to pay closer attention to tips and warnings given by the cruise line and employees to always bring your ID with you. 

If you were traveling in Europe or someplace else foreign, would you walk around without your ID? Or better yet, would you travel around your own city without an ID? It is an absolute necessity to adult life to be sure to always have this on you at all times. 

Hopefully this has been a valuable learning experience for yourself and your family. Best of luck. 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

at the show the night before the CD mentions you need government issued photo ID, it's also stated in that days' Cruise Compass that you need photo ID, the activities people at the gangway telling you to have your Seapass card in hand when you leave also yell out you need photo ID, the CD's morning show tells you about needing photo ID... so suck it up and take responsibility for your own ignorance, it wasn't the ships fault. And you're a liar because Nassau NEVER asks to see photo ID to leave the port area. In the 30+ cruises I've been on to Nassau, I have never been asked nor have I ever seen anyone being asked for photo ID to leave the port area. You only need it to get out of the terminal on your way BACK to the ship.

I was thinking the same thing. You need your sea pass to get off the ship but nothing else. To get back on the ship that is when you need photo id

• Like 1

I made the assumption the OP was trying to get through the shopping area of the port back onto the ship, not getting off.  I am sure as a first time cruiser she was unsure of the words to use here on her post.  Let's not pick too much and scare her away.  Still lots of questions with the post but can see where these words just got mixed up.

Although I do understand photo ID is almost always required (one exception I know of is Labadee), and we are experienced cruisers who know to do this, I do think the literature (Compass) should be consistent.  I was just on Harmony 8-day cruise and I notice that for the four port days under Helpful Tips for Today, the first section heading is listed as (in italics):

• St. Thomas ... SeaPass Card and Photo Identification (and it says bring Seapass card in the detail, without mention of photo ID.)   Both were needed.
  • St. Kitts...  SeaPass Card (and it says bring SeaPass card and Photo ID in detail). Both were needed
  • Puerto Rico... SeaPass Card (and it says bring SeaPass card and Photo ID in detail). Both were needed.
  • Labadee.... SeaPass Card and Photo Identification (and it says bring Seapass card in the detail, without mention of photo ID.) Only SeaPass card was needed. 

I think RC could make the heading match the detailed content of the paragraph and ensure both are accurate for the specific port. 

Give the op a break.....it was their first cruise.   If you read the compass or go to the shows they will remind you to take ID but some don’t go or read what’s provided.

Now you know for future reference.  Hopefully your son can look back on it as an adventure.  To let this taint future travel  would be sad.  There’s so much out there in the world to explore!

We use our passport cards in port. ( Leave the actual passports in the safe.)  Some ports they ask and some they don’t but we always take them with us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lbsaady said:

Where exactly were they taken?  How was this resolved?

I hope all are now safely on board the ship.  Lesson learned, bring a sea pass card and photo ID when going into port.  Stay together as a group, so if there is an issue, you can help each other out.  Always bring your cruise compass with you.  Look at today's cruise compass and you will see contact information for the port agent in Nassua.  If you do have a problem and need help, this is the person who I would contact immediately.  

Take a deep breath and enjoy the rest of your cruise.

• Like 1