Water Rides—Use at Your Risk

Chicago Voyager

Happened to me at Disneyworld. Came down the slide at Beach Club and there was a kid sitting on the lip of the slide posing for pix. I managed to spread my legs, grab her and land in the pool on top of parents. No injuries but could have been, I was flying lol. I always make sure the landing area is clear before I go, even when the guy at the top is saying all clear.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Chicago Voyager said:

Following this incident, crew members wearing protective garments performed a cleaning of the tube.  The ride was then closed for the remainder of the cruise.  I wonder what changes will occur before it reopens.

Most water parks will have an employee stationed at the top of the slide controlling access, and one at the bottom that signals the rider has come through. Or a video system, or signaling lights, etc. that serve the same purpose. There is no excuse for a rider to enter the slide and be hit by another rider; the second rider should not be able to enter the slide until the first rider is completely clear of it.

If you are truly a "legal layperson" (which I guess means "not a lawyer" but you feel you have some special knowledge) then you would know that almost every theme park has a similar contract. It doesn't mean much if you can show negligence on the part of the operator.  In some states the binding arbitration clauses are enforceable, though, so you often get an unsympathetic hearing.

• Haha 1

I'm surprised that when the guy crashed into the stuck woman, he didn't knock her loose. I can't imagine the size of a clog that would leave a woman and two men (described as large) all stuck in a large pileup. (I realize the first poster said he went around her, and the 2nd said all 3 were stuck, so we really have no idea what happened. Two people on the cruise, 2 completely different stories.)

• Like 1

Go to UTUBE and enter tube slide on NCL Bliss. There is a video of young girls getting stuck in the clear portion of the tube which goes over the side of the ship. The film in alaska shows the first girl slowing down and then going backwards. Then the operator at the top of the ride opens the door and another girl gets in and goes down. It's hard to tell, but it looks as if she hits the other girl in the tube. But what is plain to see is that the girl had her legs spread and did not appear to be going down that fast. I think the speed of the rider has a lot to do with it. I'll be on the Bliss in March of 19 and I plan on going on the ride. I'll post the results.  If you don't see any more posts from me, you probably don't want to try the tube slide.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I don't think this is an isolated NCL water slide issue, nor is it a NCL legal/liability issue.  I am willing to bet money that any land based water park probably has a very similarly worded waiver that entering the park/riding the slides, the guest automatically agrees to (fine print on the bottom/back of the park entrance tickets).  

It is human error by the operator manning the top of the slide.  It is a mistake, rather unfortunate for the woman, but they do happen.  Considering there are what, 15 NCL ships with slides?  Each carrying thousands of passengers weekly, with their slides open most of the time (depending on weather).  I couldn't venture to guess how many people ride those slides on a weekly, monthly, annual basis.  The odds of a few injuries here and there, again very unfortunate to the people involved, is probably pretty high.  

Agree with the poster who said the OP (and a few of the responses) were overly melodramatic and blown out of proportion.  Nobody should need this post to be reminded to ride a water slide at your own risk, especially the ones that are like a free fall ride.  

Edited by MrMike45
  • Like 1

In US and US states' laws, liability waivers are only as good as far as a judge and/or jury chooses to agree with them.  Any time a company or a person does something worse than a typical prudent person would, there is a chance at a finding of negligence. But another poster here made a really good point:  You are not in the US.  You may or may not be able to take NCL to court in Miami. (could be an issue if you are in another country's waters at the time of an incident.)  But NCL as a company IS based in the US.  Ship's registry does not govern the company's legal location. There is also an international holding company but I think you would find NCL is the responsible company.

NEVER sign a piece of paper shoved under your nose without a lawyer unless you are going to die and then sign under duress and write that on the paper.  Demand to see the staff Captain to determine if proper procedures are being followed.

57 minutes ago, zqvol said:

The cruise lines have no business having these slides on the ships. One day there is going to be an accident and someone is going to end up overboard.

I've been on the Bliss, although not on the waterslides, and I can't imagine any scenario is which someone could possibly end up overboard by using one of the slides. That's definitely a melodramatic statement!

4 hours ago, MyTMo777 said:

I've been on the Bliss, although not on the waterslides, and I can't imagine any scenario is which someone could possibly end up overboard by using one of the slides. That's definitely a melodramatic statement!

Until one of the joints breaks and the tubes separate.

10 hours ago, Baatman said:

I agree.  If it has happened more than once it really does need looking into,

Getting stuck isn't the issue. It's why these slides (the ones that go down and then back up, in a loop) have escape hatches. While most people that are within the weight range will make it, various things could slow them down so they don't have enough velocity to make it. But the slides are designed to have a warning when someone does get stuck and evacuate them. The problem is this didn't happen. My friend was on this cruise and he's not sure whether it was operator error (the operator wasn't paying attention the green/red lights) or mechanical error (the warning lights didn't trip to alert someone to the fact that someone was stuck). 

On 12/3/2018 at 6:30 PM, LD Silver said:

Cue the NCL cheerleading squad to come in with the "you signed a contract"  retort.

nope, not going to say that but what we are hearing from the op is what he heard from so and so, and on down the line. Here has been our experience with NCL and accidents: 1-our friend fell out of bed on a particular rocky sailing and broke her arm. This was not the fault of the ship by any means. but they could not have taken better care of her. This happened the first night and each day they checked on her to see how she was doing, they X rayed her arm, they  wrapped it for support and made sure she had ice each day to keep the swelling down. All this at no charge...The second case was my husband: he tripped over a lounge on the pool deck: again his own fault, not the fault of of the lounge being in the wrong place or anything. Before we could even let anyone know, the crew was there, helped him to the med center where they treated him. Each day the med center checked is arm, changed his bandages, and told him how to take care of it when he got home: NO CHARGE. 

I don't know what to say or what really happened on the OPs cruise. I wish the poor girl a speedy recovery but I don't always believe stories that on repeated by word or mouth and then are repeated to another as being the whole side of the story. As the song says: No one knows what goes on behind closed doors? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, newmexicoNita said:

nope, not going to say that but what we are hearing from the op is what he heard from so and so, and on down the line. Here has been our experience with NCL and accidents: 1-our friend fell out of bed on a particular rocky sailing and broke her arm. This was not the fault of the ship by any means. but they could not have taken better care of her. This happened the first night and each day they checked on her to see how she was doing, they X rayed her arm, they  wrapped it for support and made sure she had ice each day to keep the swelling down. All this at no charge...The second case was my husband: he tripped over a lounge on the pool deck: again his own fault, not the fault of of the lounge being in the wrong place or anything. Before we could even let anyone know, the crew was there, helped him to the med center where they treated him. Each day the med center checked is arm, changed his bandages, and told him how to take care of it when he got home: NO CHARGE. 

I don't know what to say or what really happened on the OPs cruise. I wish the poor girl a speedy recovery but I don't always believe stories that on repeated by word or mouth and then are repeated to another as being the whole side of the story. As the song says: No one knows what goes on behind closed doors? 

but that's no fun, how are we going to make up in our own minds what happened from thousands of miles away?  please stop making sense, there is no room for that on this board - you cheerleader 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Shidah said:

Love the throw back reference to accident, I mean action, park.  Yes, saw many people get hurt, but the park was pretty cool for adolescent memories.  

So many memories, almost drowning in the wave pool and scars from the Alpine slide, my friends and I loved traction park! It was unique because many of the attractions were not generic rides and slides, but built into the terrain. It reopened a few years ago. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pieshops said:

but that's no fun, how are we going to make up in our own minds what happened from thousands of miles away?  please stop making sense, there is no room for that on this board - you cheerleader 

The cheerleaders have their mind made up the second someone posts anything mildly critical of NCL.

I went on the drop slide on the Breakaway one day and had no problems. The next day on the slide  wearing a different bathing suit I felt myself slow down and then started tumbling backwards. I was petrified that the next person would come down and hit me, but I had read about the escape hatch so I crawled around until I found it and pulled myself out. The employee at the top of the slide blew a whistle and told me not to move until someone came to get me. When I asked the guy why I would get stuck he said a lot of the swimsuit materials are not slippery enough to go down the slides. The funny thing is the first day I had on a pair of running shorts and the day I got stuck I had on a pair of swim shorts! Test your swimwear on the smaller slides before trying a big slide.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kernie968 said:

I went on the drop slide on the Breakaway one day and had no problems. The next day on the slide  wearing a different bathing suit I felt myself slow down and then started tumbling backwards. I was petrified that the next person would come down and hit me, but I had read about the escape hatch so I crawled around until I found it and pulled myself out. The employee at the top of the slide blew a whistle and told me not to move until someone came to get me. When I asked the guy why I would get stuck he said a lot of the swimsuit materials are not slippery enough to go down the slides. The funny thing is the first day I had on a pair of running shorts and the day I got stuck I had on a pair of swim shorts! Test your swimwear on the smaller slides before trying a big slide.

or maybe it was too much time at the buffet the night before LOL

• Haha 2

Yep, people get stuck in the slides on a regular basis.  Happened to our DD first time down BA drop slide.  Waited until crew member came over and let her out.  Likely due to swim suit top back.  Next day, different suit no problem (or they had yellow things to put on your back that you could use).  Saw several people of various dimensions get stuck.

I've gone down NCL slides probably over a hundred times as has DS and no issues.

This scenario sounds like human error - whether due to person at top, bottom, or guest not waiting for go ahead.  They have always been very keyed into watching the rides, rotating crew members, but maybe they "thought" they saw the person come out and they didn't.

IF this was a drop slide, like it think it was, had to be one of two things.  The operator has to hit a button to open the trap door...unless this failed...and it just opened on it's own...it's electrical, so it is possible.  No way for it to be "rider" error on the drop slides.  

Either way, not good, as I find these slides enjoyable...55 years old and all.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 7:51 PM, Chicago Voyager said:

Marktwothousand, thank you for your perspective.  I would encourage fellow cruisers to study the fine print governing liability claims and get sound legal guidance.

Following this incident, crew members wearing protective garments performed a cleaning of the tube.  The ride was then closed for the remainder of the cruise.  I wonder what changes will occur before it reopens.

As a first-time NCL passenger, I was quite happy with other aspects of my vacation.  The only reason I share this story is as a point of caution to passengers of any cruise line.  Weigh the risks.

I am confused. Was this on the one person slide where the bottom drops out from under you, or is this the one that has the inflatable rafts for single or double riders?

My 11 year old daughter got stuck on the one on Bliss when we sailed in September. They were VERY strict about enforcing the height/weight requirements (which she passed) - she still got stuck and started going backwards. There was an attendant at both top and bottom and the one at the bottom immediately moved to the escape hatch to "rescue" her. We saw MANY people getting stuck (I would say as many as one in every 20 on the occasions we stopped to watch) but the system in place for our sailing was definitely that the attendant at the bottom ensured that the rider exited the slide before the attendant at the top activated the floor drop (not sure if there were also alarms/signals built within the slide).

The interesting thing was that the attendant had already told my daughter that she would almost definitely not make it and get stuck even though she passed the height and weight requirements. He told her exactly what to do and assured her that someone would get her out.

• Like 1

We were on Celebrity Equinox the day NCL Bliss docked in Nassau.

There was an ambulance (lights and sirens on) that went over to Bliss: we heard from friends on Bliss that the slide incident was pretty serious.

• Like 1