Observations on Elegant Night

Cinnamon2

Cruised recently on the Sunshine.  First elegant night, DH wore dress slacks, white shirt & tie, and sport jacket and looked very nice.  I wore a dress that was not formal, but nice enough.  We both felt comfortable and blended in.  The second elegant night, we dressed similarly, and from where we were seated, most people were not dressed up.  I saw shorts on men, golf type shirts and only one other jacket.  It seemed as if the other cruisers "didn't get the memo" that the evening was elegant night.  I couldn't give a hoot what others wear.  If I'm dressed better than other women, it would feel good to me; wouldn't bother me.   I blended in as usual.  However, what bothered me was that I could tell DH was bothered that he seemed to be the only one dressed up for elegant night.  He would have preferred to dress casual.   Made me uncomfortable that he was uncomfortable.  Just my two cents worth . . . what do you all think?

We generally dress up in formal wear - gown for me and dark suit with all the trimmings for my husband - on the first Elegant Night.

For the 2nd one, I wear a cocktail dress, husband wears dress slacks with white shirt and tie.

So we dress up still, just not as formal.  Honestly, unless someone is totally off the wall, I don't even notice.

• Like 2

I agree. People, as a whole, “phone it in” more on the second elegant night. I’m sure it has something to do with it most likely being a port day. On our last cruise, we “stood out” in slacks and a short sequined dress. Oh well, we enjoyed it and looked good! 😉

• Like 1

Your husband is like many people that don't want to wear uncomfortable clothing for, at best, 3 star service.   Now, if they had king crab legs and bone in porterhouse steaks, then maybe it warrants a nicer outfit.  The way it is now, it's like going to the outback steakhouse and really, who doesn't wear jeans there?  lol

1 hour ago, jdemps said:

Your husband is like many people that don't want to wear uncomfortable clothing for, at best, 3 star service.   Now, if they had king crab legs and bone in porterhouse steaks, then maybe it warrants a nicer outfit.  The way it is now, it's like going to the outback steakhouse and really, who doesn't wear jeans there?  lol

Go get a nice fitted jacket. I hardly call them uncomfortable. 

I wear a polo and slacks to work, and on my days off out grocery shopping and what not, I prefer to wear a jacket and a button down shirt. I have no problem “dressing up” while others don’t, but do what is comfortable. 

I’m married now, but it was surprising how easy it was to get phone numbers from ladies with a nice pair of shoes and a jacket, so it just became habit, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

yeah...we like to dress up, even if just a little. I have a pink sport coat given to me by some guy I didn't even know..a friend's god father.  only claim to fame on that one was the dude was dating rodger goodell's sister. Still it was cool getting the jacket though. i need to lode 10 or so for it to fit like it did ...but yes, it's tailored to the dude, who was about my size, and it's quite comfortable.

Edited by splash_in_the_water

2 hours ago, jdemps said:

Now, if they had king crab legs and bone in porterhouse steaks, then maybe it warrants a nicer outfit. 

what does the kind of food have anything to do with quality of the restaurant. There are plenty of mediocre restaurants that serve crab legs and porter house. 

• Like 2

We don’t really like to dress up for elegant night. I brought dresses on our last two cruises, but didn’t wear them on either one. My husband is retired and hasn’t worn a tie in years. I’m not there to impress anyone and after eight cruises, could care less about dressing up to get over-priced pictures taken. That being said, we always look nice, and will eat on the Lido deck if we don’t feel like getting “dressed” at all. 

My view is wear what you like so long as you are within the confines of the dress code.  I will typically be somewhat more formal on elegant night #1 and will typically wear a jacket with no tie on the second.  Works for me.

• Like 1

This topic has me wondering what on earth to wear.  The dress code makes it sound like wedding attire is what's acceptable.  Folks on the boards say that most people go much more casual.  For me, since I'm trying not to pack a ton of unnecessary clothes, the thought of a fancy dress and the shoes, etc. needed to go with it is such a hassle compared to a nice sundress and sandals.  And for 2 nights, so we would need twice as much "dressy" clothes??  Anyone sail on Fascination recently and can give me some insight??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crazy4Camping said:

This topic has me wondering what on earth to wear.  The dress code makes it sound like wedding attire is what's acceptable.  Folks on the boards say that most people go much more casual.  For me, since I'm trying not to pack a ton of unnecessary clothes, the thought of a fancy dress and the shoes, etc. needed to go with it is such a hassle compared to a nice sundress and sandals.  And for 2 nights, so we would need twice as much "dressy" clothes??  Anyone sail on Fascination recently and can give me some insight??

We were on the Fascination in Sept. Lots of fancy, snazzy outfits on formal night 1... sequins, tuxedos, bow ties, etc. Formal night 2 most took it down a notch or two. Still saw suits and some evening wear but not as much as formal night 1 with the gowns, sparkles and tuxs. 

I have worn a black one piece jumpsuit and dazzled it up with nice jewelry. I don't do sequins or formal gowns. One time I also found a cute white dress that neckline was pearls so didn't have to dazzle that up much at all. Simple but elegant. No need to go buy pricey clothes to have diner.

• Like 1

My wife and I dress up out of choice.  I in a tux, both nights, and she in dressy dresses.  We do it because we enjoy it and feel it is appropriate.  Much the same as i wear a dark suit to funerals, others in shorts and wife beaters.  It doesn’t affect me either way, just the way i was brought up.  Same reasoning i do nit wear a robe to breakfast, just seems wrong to me.

• Like 6

I bought a tux right after our first cruise.  I wear it on both nights.  On one night, i wear it with black vest and bow tie, on the second night, I buy whatever color my wife is wearing that night for the vest and regular tie.  I have never once felt out of place if no one else is dressed up.  In fact, sever times total strangers  will compliment me for dressing up in a tux.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

We were on the Fascination in Sept. Lots of fancy, snazzy outfits on formal night 1... sequins, tuxedos, bow ties, etc. Formal night 2 most took it down a notch or two. Still saw suits and some evening wear but not as much as formal night 1 with the gowns, sparkles and tuxs. 

We were on the Fascination in September also. Hubby owns a tux and enjoys wearing it and I love to dress up also. We dressed up both elegant nights and though the majority weren't dressed formally, we were comfortable with the way we were dressed. It's a personal choice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dadroy said:

My wife and I dress up out of choice.  I in a tux, both nights, and she in dressy dresses.  We do it because we enjoy it and feel it is appropriate.  Much the same as i wear a dark suit to funerals, others in shorts and wife beaters.  It doesn’t affect me either way, just the way i was brought up.  Same reasoning i do nit wear a robe to breakfast, just seems wrong to me.

Hubby and I are the same. We bought his tux years ago for our daughter's wedding. I own 2 formal gowns and 3 cocktail dresses. We dress up for each other and enjoy doing it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

I bought a tux right after our first cruise.  I wear it on both nights.  On one night, i wear it with black vest and bow tie, on the second night, I buy whatever color my wife is wearing that night for the vest and regular tie.  I have never once felt out of place if no one else is dressed up.  In fact, sever times total strangers  will compliment me for dressing up in a tux.

Hubby wears his tux both nights also. I dress up also--And I mean dressy. We get many compliments on how we are dressed. We are going on a Journeys cruise next month, so we will be dressed up all 3 of the elegant nights.

• Like 1

The DW and I dress up on elegant night for us, not for everyone else.  We like to get dressed up and have a fancy night out because it is fun to do it together.  The pictures, the dressing up, the whole thing is fun for us.  I really don't care what anyone else is doing or wearing because I'm too busy having a fun time... and minding my own business. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Crazy4Camping said:

Low bar for dressing "elegant" on Carnival - which is fine with me :classic_biggrin:  I wear black slacks, sparklie top and strappy sandles.  DH wears cotton slacks, button down collar shirt and driving loafers.  We fall in the higher half of being dressed up

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, summersigh said:

The dress code makes it sound like wedding attire is what's acceptable. 

where are you reading this? The dress code is very clear, jackets and ties are optional, long pants and no T's.