People sleep in the Observation Lounge?

Loreni

I have cruised exclusively with Princess and am trying to learn about NCL and Bliss.  The Observation Lounge is one of the selling points for me.  But...  The first time someone mentioned people sleeping in the Observation Lounge, I dismissed it.  By the third time, I was curious.  Someone also wrote that it looks like an upscale homeless camp.  Someone else showed a sign posted by NCL asking people not to use chairs as footrests and to wear their shoes except when using the chaise (then they should wear socks). Is such a sign really needed?

Yet someone else wrote that people camp there overnight for Glacier Bay.  What is the typical situation in the OL?  Is there enough seating for everyone, or are chair hogs and sleepers a problem?  I assume it’s open 24 hours.  Any hot food served?  Any food or snacks in the evening?

In Alaska,  these lounges have always had the "campers", prior to the glacier sailing.   No,  there certainly is NOT room for everyone.    Me-  I'm delighted people crowd up there,  as in my opinion,  it's a poor viewing location.   Superior is being outside on the lowest deck,  moving side to side.   I'd never consider less.   :)   

• Like 3

We are just off The Bliss.  The venue is large.  They have a bar and snacks and such available.  We did see some people sleeping and some with bare feet on furniture.  There was plenty of comfy seats for everyone on the times we stopped by.

1 hour ago, Budget Queen said:

In Alaska,  these lounges have always had the "campers", prior to the glacier sailing.   No,  there certainly is NOT room for everyone.    Me-  I'm delighted people crowd up there,  as in my opinion,  it's a poor viewing location.   Superior is being outside on the lowest deck,  moving side to side.   I'd never consider less.   🙂  

We were on the Pearl and I agree wholeheartedly that the place to view is the outside deck.   They even served baileys and coffee which wasn't free of course but was welcome.   Viewing from inside you wouldn't be able to hear the glacier calve.   That was remarkable.   

Our captain did slow 360's in the bay so even when we went to our balcony we had an enjoyable view - still better than being behind glass.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Loreni said:

I have cruised exclusively with Princess and am trying to learn about NCL and Bliss.  The Observation Lounge is one of the selling points for me.  But...  The first time someone mentioned people sleeping in the Observation Lounge, I dismissed it.  By the third time, I was curious.  Someone also wrote that it looks like an upscale homeless camp.  Someone else showed a sign posted by NCL asking people not to use chairs as footrests and to wear their shoes except when using the chaise (then they should wear socks). Is such a sign really needed?

Yet someone else wrote that people camp there overnight for Glacier Bay.  What is the typical situation in the OL?  Is there enough seating for everyone, or are chair hogs and sleepers a problem?  I assume it’s open 24 hours.  Any hot food served?  Any food or snacks in the evening?

The OL cover 1/3 of Deck 15. It is a very large space with lots of seating. The Buffet is right above and covers 1/3 of Deck 16. 

wrt to sleeping, people sleep all over the ship. The loungers are very comfy and it is easy to doze off

I don't recall the Bliss going to Glacier Bay,,,, and if it did, it was once or twice at the very end of last season. 

4 hours ago, cincicruisers said:

We are just off The Bliss.  The venue is large.  They have a bar and snacks and such available.  We did see some people sleeping and some with bare feet on furniture.  There was plenty of comfy seats for everyone on the times we stopped by.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Please don't put your bare feet on the indoor furniture. This isn't your living room.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm on the Bliss in July and the itinerary has a day in Glacier Bay.  The National Park Service has a webpage that give you tips on how best to see everything from your cruise ship: "Get outside on the open decks, especially during the time near the glaciers. Nothing can compare to the sense of scale and magnificence of the huge ice wall, and the incredible sounds that it often makes when it calves. If you want to be outside, find the places without glass between you and the view."  Here's a link...

The velour chaise lounges have a small coverlet at the foot end, people put their feet on those. 

People put their unsheathed feet all over the pool deck and lounges. 

I nap on NCL ships, first on the Waterfront on the Getaway and most recently in the Observation lounge on the Bliss. Enjoyed them all and will do it again on my vacation. No shame, no regrets.

The space is called a lounge so that's what people do there. It is a highlight of the ship, but you can certainly choose not to use it. I skip the pool deck except to pass through. NCL is Freestyle, enjoy.

I  never saw the signs you reference. The chaises are near the window, just like in the thermal suite, very relaxing view. I have slept there too (thermal suites).

Edited by Nola26

People do doze off. I am not sure they intentionally go there to sleep. I accidentally fell asleep reading my book there one afternoon on my Bliss sailing last month. It's a very quiet and relaxing space and the chaises are very comfortable...

• Like 1

It is huge and I never found any issues getting a seat somewhere in the lounge even on one of the busiest cruises of the year - Christmas. Yes, it is open 24 hours, but I have been there at 4 AM and there is not much to see. There is also a cold lunch served and other grab and go food 24 hours a day.

there is also a large circular bar and a small space for light entertainment, And it doesn’t usually start until after 8 PM.

i didn’t run into many (if any) issues with people sleeping there, and I did read about that before I went. The cruise line provides throws at the end of the chairs for feet, so that they don’t touch the furniture. 

While on the getaway and sitting on the waterfront, I fell asleep. Now it was warm and in the sun, then after a few drinks I was out. Plenty of people resting on vacation. No harm, no foul. 

Usually the people occupying these spots probably have an inside room as I could go back to my balcony for a view. Should they sleep? I'm not going to get mixed up in that. 

There was napping on the Bliss in December. It wasn't as bad as I expected. They also keep the lounge very clean (so far) which I expect will be a challenge going forward since there is adjacent free food & bev. I'm sure the fabrics will need regular cleaning.

(I'm cynical enough that I almost don't believe NCL will keep the lounge as-is and free to all passengers indefinitely. It's a LOT of very nice, very non-upcharged public space with a mini-buffet. Aside from the one bar, it generates no revenue. Surely that won't be allowed forever.)

If you are "offended" or "upset" by people sleeping in public (rather than their cabin), Heaven Forbid! you ever step foot on a cruise ship.  I've witnessed sleepers (meaning people sleeping) in lounges, theaters, libraries, and hallways (equipped with seating, of course).  And don't even get me started on those bold enough to fall asleep on the promenades or out by the pool.

I am curious...why is it so bad to put bare feet on the furniture?  I would prefer that to shoes, and when one thinks about all of the surfaces those bare feet...and yours come in contact with, not to mention your hands, it all relative really.  Much ado about nothing.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, logan25 said:

If you are "offended" or "upset" by people sleeping in public (rather than their cabin), Heaven Forbid! you ever step foot on a cruise ship.  I've witnessed sleepers (meaning people sleeping) in lounges, theaters, libraries, and hallways (equipped with seating, of course).  And don't even get me started on those bold enough to fall asleep on the promenades or out by the pool.

I spend a significant portion of my time on cruise ships sound asleep by the pool. I wake up now and then to refill my drink and roll over. 

• Like 1

The only sleeping " campers" that bother me are the people taking up all the chairs in the atrium during an event there. The officers were trying to take questions and the first four rows were sleeping. The people who were interested in the topic were in the back or upstairs.

On 3/6/2019 at 2:42 PM, Loreni said:

You have never seen anyone sleeping in the say, Atrium or observation lounge on Princess? I am surprised. This goes for the library on HAL as well. I have seen people sleeping on all ships in places other than their cabins. Now if I saw someone sleeping in the restaurant with their feet on the table that would bother me. 

15 hours ago, misha1 said:

I am curious...why is it so bad to put bare feet on the furniture?  I would prefer that to shoes, and when one thinks about all of the surfaces those bare feet...and yours come in contact with, not to mention your hands, it all relative really.  Much ado about nothing.

Both are bad. You don't put feet on furniture, in or out of shoes. That's just gross.

5 minutes ago, KateQ22003 said:

Both are bad. You don't put feet on furniture, in or out of shoes. That's just gross.

Seems like the outdoor loungers and the chaises in the Observation Lounge would be pretty impossible to use then....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Seems like the outdoor loungers and the chaises in the Observation Lounge would be pretty impossible to use then....

I wouldn't sit on either of those, either if I knew people were sitting on them with bare feet. It's bad enough that they smoke on them outside. Fabric retains smells and dirt, and I have never seen those loungers be shampooed.

I loved on the Pearl when they opened up the crew sun area at the very front of the ship. To me, there's no better viewing area than that for Glacier Bay. It might be cold, it might even be raining but go outside for a few hours and take in what you really traveled for. Seeing Glacier Bay through smudged floor-to-ceiling windows? No thanks.