Carry-On only for Carnival Cruise?

jbethel11

4 minutes ago, BBigfoot613 said:

I don't understand what there is to coordinate? It's two adults and 2 teens with 2 bags each. I'll assume that all 4 people are mature enough to be responsible to carry 2 bags to and from cars or planes. How much of a hassle would that be? I have a 16 year old daughter and a 13 year old son (who is on the petite side) and they already know they are responsible for their own bags or they cruise naked lol. Sure I'll double check to make sure they have their bags but it really won't be a big deal... I'd rather spend the $100? elsewhere...

I'd rather spend the $100 elsewhere too.  I hate paying to check a bag but sometimes spending a little extra money makes life easier.   Just something for the OP to think about besides the money side of things.

• Like 2

Yes, I believe it’s possible!

My daughter and I are going on a 15 day trip to Europe (including a 7 day cruise) this summer. We each plan to only take a carry-on and a backpack. For us, it’s about the simplicity of traveling without heavy, bulky bags. 

As someone else said, it’s all about prioritizing what you really need and getting rid of the luxuries. I find that rolling your clothes really helps too. 

I am concerned about not having enough clean clothes but the fact that I know I have the option to send a bag out to be laundered helped us make our decision to travel light.

1 hour ago, riffatsea said:

We have not checked bags in years!! We've done a 15 day Panama Canal cruise with 1 carry on each + 1 "personal item" (which was a backpack or large tote)

I am the queen of packing and DH is the king!!(LOL) First you color coordinate your clothing so that you don't need too many pairs of shoes. They are the worst!! Wear the clunkiest pair onto the plane.

I put my clothing into the carryon bag and then put everything else into the backpack or tote.

DH manages to fit most of his stuff into the carryon so that he might carry some of my extra stuff.

Don't take every electronic gadget that you own!  Lighten up a bit on that stuff .

Good luck!! Once you figure it out you will be amazed at how little you actually need.

We have done this too for a 14 day cruise. Actually, after downsizing the majority of my wardrobe, I don't even own the number of items that some people pack for a one week vacation lol. Someone on my last roll call packed 17 bathing suits for one week. One week!!! I only own 2. 

Anyway, I agree with everything you said. We try to pack things that can be worn more than once. For example, I wear plain, neutral colored t shirts/blouses than can be worn to dinner for an hour but can be worn again another day. Don't bring things like towels, gadgets, storage items, clothing with tags still on them, etc. 

Also, don't be afraid to share luggage with your travel mates. My husband's clothes are bigger than mine, so he puts some of his stuff in my carry on. It can be done!

Hi

One of the first things you learn after cruising some, is that you don't really need to pack as much as you think. You really don't need a bag each. These are things you have to learn for yourself. 

One of the nice things that Carnival has are laundromats, just spend an hour one day and you can travel with half the amount of clothes you think you need. For those who insist that you can't be bothered doing laundry on a vacation, then Carnival also has laundry service. Again, you can pack much less than you think you need, and still have room in your bags to fit the souvenirs you buy. 

hope this helps

Oh, and yes we mix it up with whose clothes are in which bag, it isn't all my stuff in one and kiddo's in another. My clothes are bigger than his (he's only 9), so we mix it up to get everything to fit. I do take 2 or 3 bathing suits for each of us, I hate putting on a wet one! And I take a few ziploc bags for packing wet items on the way home if necessary. I also mix the clothes up just in case one bag gets lost (had to gate check on a few flights because they have no over head bins, also once I check them in on the ship). I like to make sure we have will each have something to wear if one gets lost. 

Definitely doable. We have done 5 days easily. Last 7 day we checked bags and I am considering just going with a carry on. We typically get on the ship once cabins are ready so it isn’t an issue to drag them around. 

Dinner wear gets worn multiple times in different combinations. I bring sandals, boat shoes, and wear on my sneakers. I always bring a backpack for port days so that gives extra room. 

Toiletries take up a good bit of room so I usually portion out exactly what I need instead of bringing the whole package.

I often find it’s harder to pack up the dirty clothes...

• Like 1

I'm amused at the comments ..."you can always get your clothes laundered".... Do the math...you might as well pay for a couple checked bag..... especially if you have the ship launder your clothes. For those ships with self serve washer/dryers....who wants to spend a couple hours of your time in a ships laundry area unless it was an emergency cleaning.  This forum absolutely amuses me....LMAO

• Like 8

1 hour ago, BBigfoot613 said:

I love how we live in a society where someone asks for TIPS and they get "I'm glad I live close to not worry about it" or "I'd just pay the $$" and "Don't be cheap" type responses. I thought this was a message board to HELP people? When did we become a society that just bashes people constantly instead of giving the requested help or if not having any advice just scrolling on? Are we really that miserable of a society that we have to bash people constantly? MAYBE the OP doesn't want to pay the fee...but MAYBE the OP just doesn't want to worry about lost luggage from a connection or MAYBE there is a different reason all together. As members on this board we are here to gather info and if inclined to help others with our knowledge. I'll climb down from the soap box but hope that those that post crappy comments never find the info they desire..

How do you think people rack up 1000s of posts.  Some people post non-sense just to up their post count!!!

• Haha 1

I use a 21" Delsey luggage and here's what goes into that bag:

7 briefs, 10 tees, 3 polo shirts, 1 trousers,  2 shorts, 2 swim suits, 2 hats, sox, 1 pr sneakers, 1 pr. water shoes.  There's room left if I buy some souvenirs too.

Of course, I'm wearing another outfit of clothes as well.  I'm a guy so I don't need a bagful of shoes.

I have a shoulder bag for electronics, binoculars, travel docs, meds, toiletries.

I do this for all my warm weather cruises and vacations, including a 21 day B2B journeys cruise, 2 weeks in Tahiti and 6 weeks in Australia and New Zealand.  Yes, now I get free unlimited Diamond laundry service on Carnival, but I paid for the $15 special before becoming platinum.  In Oz and NZ, many of the hotels we stayed at provided laundry services or in room facilities.

Edited by evandbob

I just said the same thing to my husband. I can’t stand when people do that. Either give them a TIP or don’t say s@@t! You know what I was waiting for “Then you shouldn’t be cruising if you can’t afford the extra bag”. Lol I can’t we these people.

Happy cruising all!

• Like 1

We have definitely down sized over the years and have done an 11 day cruise with just a carry on and a personal bag.  I have worn my suit jacket on the plane to eliminate packing that.  Also wear my pair of shoes that take up the most space.  Its usually fairly easy to pick up some sunscreen, bottle of wine etc at the port before you board.  Our next cruises will be B2B for a total of 26 days, so wish us luck!  We will be turning platinum on this next one so a little free laundry service will help.

Not having as many bags does allow for a bit more freedom and convenience when it comes to transportation and adaptability. As a frugal traveler, $100 saved here and there on baggage fees allows for more to spend on something that you value more.  Its kind of like booking inside cabins.  It all adds up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

I'm amused at the comments ..."you can always get your clothes laundered".... Do the math...you might as well pay for a couple checked bag..... especially if you have the ship launder your clothes. For those ships with self serve washer/dryers....who wants to spend a couple hours of your time in a ships laundry area unless it was an emergency cleaning.  This forum absolutely amuses me....LMAO

Apparently, it's so simplistic to wash clothes, cut out things you'll need, shop for toiletries and drinks etc on your vacation vs having it all with you.

My last flight included a free checked bag, my one before that didn't but didn't include a free checked bag. I chose whatever had the lowest overall cost. It sounds a lot to me like everything else discussed on here. "Extra fees are always bad. I don't care if I spend more overall. I don't want something with an extra fee". Some people will choose an airline with a free checked bag or free carry-on and that perception is all they need.

It was like when I went to Vegas with two friends who only brought personal items. They didn't want to pay the $42 I paid for my bags, yet they sure enjoyed everything I brought, especially the alcohol....

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

7-day Caribbean cruise with only one carry on allowed per person! Any tips? 

Don't bring too much.  I wear some capris and pants more than once.  No one is going to notice.  I bring a lot of light rayon type dresses that travel well.  Roll your clothes.  Put underwear in your shoes.  Just pack lightly, basically.  I do it all the time.  I fly in and do not want to check a bag, if I don't have to.  

Edited by LuckyStar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, taylor1293 said:

Yes, I believe it’s possible!

My daughter and I are going on a 15 day trip to Europe (including a 7 day cruise) this summer. We each plan to only take a carry-on and a backpack. For us, it’s about the simplicity of traveling without heavy, bulky bags. 

As someone else said, it’s all about prioritizing what you really need and getting rid of the luxuries. I find that rolling your clothes really helps too. 

I am concerned about not having enough clean clothes but the fact that I know I have the option to send a bag out to be laundered helped us make our decision to travel light.

Hubs and I did a month in Europe with just a carry on each.  We were on trains all the time, so we needed more mobility.  You can easily do it.  Take clothes that dry quickly.  Rayon and nylon is good for that.   I did a lot of laundry in the sink.  Take the travel Tide or equivalent.  It will save you money and time.  I did not want to spend my time in laundromats, especially in a foreign country.  We always felt fresh and clean.  www.travelsmith.com is a good resource site.  

Edited by LuckyStar
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Apparently, it's so simplistic to wash clothes, cut out things you'll need, shop for toiletries and drinks etc on your vacation vs having it all with you.

My last flight included a free checked bag, my one before that didn't but didn't include a free checked bag. I chose whatever had the lowest overall cost. It sounds a lot to me like everything else discussed on here. "Extra fees are always bad. I don't care if I spend more overall. I don't want something with an extra fee". Some people will choose an airline with a free checked bag or free carry-on and that perception is all they need.

It was like when I went to Vegas with two friends who only brought personal items. They didn't want to pay the $42 I paid for my bags, yet they sure enjoyed everything I brought, especially the alcohol....

And to add on, a lot of adults care more about convenience than complexity. So they would rather pay more than do more.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LuckyStar said:

Hubs and I did a month in Europe with just a carry on each.  We were on trains all the time, so we needed more mobility.  You can easily do it.  Take clothes that dry quickly.  Rayon and nylon is good for that.   I did a lot of laundry in the sink.  Take the travel Tide or equivalent.  It will save you money and time.  I did not want to spend my time in laundromats, especially in a foreign country.  We always felt fresh and clean.  www.travelsmith.com is a good resource site.  

Thanks for the resource and the tips! 

I think it can be easily accomplished with or without doing a load of laundry.  My husband and I have done carry-on only on every Carnival cruise.  I consider it a Carnival perk to have the option of doing a load of laundry mid-cruise.  No, I don't mind spending an hour in the cabin catching up on emails, sipping on hot coffee, and relaxing. My husband runs to the gym and everything is finished in no time at all.

I found that I can wear the same top and pants at night two times. The clothes I wear in the day time can only be worn once because of the heat.  By deciding for sure what I will wear on the cruise, I can cut down on a lot of extra clothes.  I like traveling light, not worrying about lost luggage on a flight, and not having a ton of laundry to do at the end of a cruise. 

We've done carry-on only for the last three seven day cruises.  To echo some previous posters there were items we didn't wear.  We fly SW so it doesn't cost to check a bag...I just don't feel like messing w/ it.  Also....I pay to get dress things pressed the first day, since the ship's laundry does a better job than I do.  And, we pay for a bag of laundry half-way through.  We look pulled together, not lots of dirty clothes to take home, and not a ton of stuff to unpack.  We have a 17 day cruise planned for next summer, and yes, we'll pack bags for that.  I'm a minimalist, so can't stand a bunch of stuff messing up the cabin.  Have seen some scary sights walking down the halls!!!

• Like 1

I second the vacuum seal bags. I used them on my last trip. The clothes, including dresses, came out wrinkle free. On my way home I sealed bag and sat on it, since I didn’t have access to a vacuum. 

I got mine at the dollar tree. Worked great. 

• Haha 1

We travel carry on only for comfort and convenience.  Six years ago, we did a long series of adventures with carry on, backpack, and a mid-size suitcase each.  It was not a problem until we got to Venice, and found ourselves dragging them across the Piazzale Roma to our hotel, over only one bridge.  After that, it would be carry on only, for comfort.  Short cruises of less than two weeks are easy.  Next year we will have a challenge, as we have booked the Legend TA through Iceland and Greenland, which will require cold weather clothing, followed by a return trip on the QM2.  Plus two days between in London.  But we are up for the challenge.  And at the ages, at the time, of 76 & 77.  EM

• Like 1

Pro tip 

At least on Alaska Airlines 

I was going to check one bag regardless because of size but was asked by the gate agent if I wanted to check my carry on sized too. I balked because I didn't want to pay another checked baggage fee. Was informed that if I "volunteered" to check it there'd be no fee.  No brainers. Using applied learning, on my flight home I volunteered to check my carry on sized and again no charge. I was prepared to do a carry on in both cases, so it's a gamble and YMMV. 

Very informative thread. With 32 cruises I've never once done this, however, I'm going to give it a try on my PANORAMA cruise in January. Thank you all for the information and the replies. 🙂

I've gotten better.  We do it with 2 checked bags and one carry on for the two of us.  We have done very informal small ship sailing with a carry on and a personal.  It certainly can be done.  We just choose not to.  As has been mentioned, things like Alaska are tougher as you simply need more gear to deal with potential weather issues.

50 minutes ago, Roscoe13 said:

Pro tip 

At least on Alaska Airlines 

I was going to check one bag regardless because of size but was asked by the gate agent if I wanted to check my carry on sized too. I balked because I didn't want to pay another checked baggage fee. Was informed that if I "volunteered" to check it there'd be no fee.  No brainers. Using applied learning, on my flight home I volunteered to check my carry on sized and again no charge. I was prepared to do a carry on in both cases, so it's a gamble and YMMV. 

Can you bring two carry-ons to the gate and then ask to check one of them for free? Would that work/is it legal?

11 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

Hi 

I did my laundry at home today. It took less than 5 min. to load the washer, another 5 min. to unload the washer and to load the dryer, and then a few minutes to unload the dryer. Somehow because you are on a ship, you need to spend two hours watching the machine turn? Give me a break. Yes...you do need to go back and forth...it's not rocket science...you know how long the cycle takes. 

Paying for those "couple of checked bags" is fairly expensive compared to a couple of bags of laundry, if you really can't manage to do it yourself. The whole point is not having to travel with that much. Who wants to lug around more than one suitcase? We are talking about people going for a one week vacation. I did manage to travel for 8wks. with one suitcase and a carry on. Yes, I did laundry, No, it didn't ruin my trip. From what I have read on this site many others have done much more.

People can do what they like, but don't you think it is worth mentioning that there might be other ways that don't cost an arm and a leg.

• Like 1