New Pricing Bundles or Non-Refundable: Your Thoughts!

Lastdance

So, now that Celebrity is adding a new twist to the process of booking for an extended amount of time, share your thoughts on how this compares and whether or not you booked and why or why not...for me, the prices and bookings, after the Edge TA, for my next three cruises are better!

37 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

So, now that Celebrity is adding a new twist to the process of booking for an extended amount of time, share your thoughts on how this compares and whether or not you booked and why or why not...for me, the prices and bookings, after the Edge TA, for my next three cruises are better!

I  checked out a cruise I am booked on and it went way up ... plus, I am on a refundable booking as I made it well over a year ago and the sailing isn't until the end of the year. 

Honestly, I find better deals right after final payment date...especially if I go with an agency that throws in those free perks.  

• Like 3

Agree that prices are typically better after final booking.  However, for us, that savings is usually lost when we go to book airfare.

I do look at price drops. And ask for an upgrade of some sort if they occur.  We've always gotten them but they are small.  OV to obstructed balcony.  Inside to OV.  Mostly, same level of cabin but better location.

But I'm realistic.  Booking in advance has advantages and benefits.  You re paying for those advantages and benefits.  We  Don't ***** if the price we happily paid becomes lower later on.  

For those that can use Southwest Air we have a tip.  If you are considering booking a last minute deal on a certain cruise go ahead and book your SW air as soon as the dates open, even if you are not sure about booking the cruise.  You can always cancel the air (no penalty) and apply the credit to future flights (within a year).  We have friends from San Jose who have been doing this for years.

Hank

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

For those that can use Southwest Air we have a tip.  If you are considering booking a last minute deal on a certain cruise go ahead and book your SW air as soon as the dates open, even if you are not sure about booking the cruise.  You can always cancel the air (no penalty) and apply the credit to future flights (within a year).  We have friends from San Jose who have been doing this for years.

Good suggestion.  I have also often wondered why people don't just book air on any airline for the necessary timeframe as a form of speculation.  You could always elect to turn it into a land vacation or choose a different cruise line if the one you have your eye on doesn't pan out.  This would be dependent on where and when, of course.  

I've only monitored a few cruises but I really see no major difference with the exception of the no-frills pricing being much more apparent. It's basically the same thing as the 1-2-3 Go pricing from ~2014/2015, the Big, Better, Best combo and now Sail, Sail Plus and Sail All Included. New name, same concept.

I get a kick out of how successful Celebrity has been in getting people to pay for add-ons and still getting people to think of them as "Perks".  In days gone by, Perks were incentives, freebies if you will, that were offered as a promotion to attract new bookings.  Next we saw "Perk" promotions that were often offset by increased prices.  Then Big, Better, Best - pay more and choose your "Perks".  Now Sail Your Way - a repackaging of BBB that opens the door to broader differentiation along the lines of MSC's "Experiences".

Maybe it's just semantics, but I think "Perks" stopped being perks when we started paying for them....  when we started paying more to get "free" drinks, they stopped being free and in my mind stopped being perks.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I get a kick out of how successful Celebrity has been in getting people to pay for add-ons and still getting people to think of them as "Perks".  In days gone by, Perks were incentives, freebies if you will, that were offered as a promotion to attract new bookings.  Next we saw "Perk" promotions that were often offset by increased prices.  Then Big, Better, Best - pay more and choose your "Perks".  Now Sail Your Way - a repackaging of BBB that opens the door to broader differentiation along the lines of MSC's "Experiences".

Maybe it's just semantics, but I think "Perks" stopped being perks when we started paying for them....  when we started paying more to get "free" drinks, they stopped being free and in my mind stopped being perks.

I don't mind them. Even if I'm paying out of pocket, dollar to value, I still have a hard time finding a comparable cabin + set of adds on with any other line that rivals Celebrity's overall value. Add in TA incentives/group prices in addition and Celebrity is usually a no brainer for us. 

My notes from when I shopped Royal vs. Celebrity on the same itinerary at time of booking...

Explorer of the Seas 

$3358 base fare + ~1000 drinks + $261 gratuities + $350 Wifi + $0.00 OBC from RC or TA = $4969. 

Celebrity Silhouette 

$4118 base fare + premium drinks/2 wifi packages/$0 gratuities and $450 OBC. 

Nearly 23% more to go on the 'less expensive' cruise. No thanks! 

Edited by Jeremiah1212
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My personal experience: we booked  the 2/5/2021 and 2/15/2021 Reflection sailings on 12/18/2018 in a C2 (for C3 rate).

2/5/18 Sailing (10 night):

12/18/18 - $2,099 refundable deposit with one perk

1/3/18 -  $1,949, added an additional perk and $100 OBC with promotion at the time (refundable deposit).

1/23/19 - $2,049 (refundable, 2 perks and no OBC)

3/29/19 - $2,499  (refundable, 2 perks and no OBC)

4/5/19 - Best Rate $2,269, Best Value $2,649

Total fare increase since 3/28/19 $600 pp (keeping 2 perks)

2/15/19 Sailing (11 night):

12/18/18 - $2,349 refundable deposit with one perk

1/3/18 -  $2,199, added an additional perk and $100 OBC with promotion at the time (refundable deposit).

1/23/19 - $2,249 (refundable, 2 perks and no OBC)

3/29/19 - $2,499  (refundable, 2 perks and no OBC)

4/5/19 - Best Rate $2,231, Best Value $2,649)

Total fare increase since 3/28/19 $250 pp (keeping 2 perks)

Happy I booked when I did.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

What happens when a person is sailing solo? 

They only need one drink package 

Should they only be Paying for one with drink package and one basic fare ? 

So many little details; hopefully Celebrity has answers!

Celebrity is very good in marketing and upselling.

Unfortunately what many people don't realize, is that once you add the cost of all the "perks" (plus specialty restaurants, specialty teas and coffees, shuttles etc.) you can book Oceania or Azamara for almost the same price. Our last Azamara cruise included free internet, free gratuities, $500 onboard credit, premium beverage package etc. Oceania always includes all specialty restaurants. The more confusing the terms, the easier it is to cause people to buy those overpriced items ($300 for internet? Seriously?)

Same as people who buy Honda and Toyota, add all the options, and don't realize that they could buy Lexus or Acura for almost the same price..  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

5 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Yes, there are so many little details that confuse the issue. We usually book a balcony for us (with 2 perks) and an inside for the kids (without the perks as the TA OBC pays for their gratuities). Now, under the new scheme, that would mean we have one refundable booking and one non-refundable 🤷‍♀️.

Interesting to say the least.

Solo cruiser - Refundable deposit: 12/5/20 - Apex - Cat.8 - I'm paying $2783.59 with 2 perks. If I were booking today, cost would be $2983.89 with 2 perks.

Solo cruiser - Refundable deposit: 3/8/21 - Reflection - 1A - I'm paying $3927.13 with 2 perks. If I booked today, cost would be $4627.74 with 2 perks.

Was looking at another X cruise but don't believe I should have to forfeit a $450 deposit just to get a lower price with no perks if I decided not to go on the cruise. Will be looking a HAL and Princess more closely.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

I've been finding pricing to be all over the map with regard to booking "sail only" rates vs. rates w/2 perks. On some sailings the difference between two rates is considerable. Other sailings, it's minimal (IMO). 

I've also been surfing a variety of on-line TAs that have been savvy enough to program their computers to display all available rates in a fashion that's much easier to compare, unlike Celebrity's site. And, in addition to that, finding pricing on certain categories that offer the 2-perk upcharge for a very minimal amount. 

You have to do a lot of searching to find the best bang. But that's nothing new these days. There are some great "deals" out there, you just have to be willing to invest the time (and energy!).

All I want is the best price and I don't care about included "perks" because I'm simply paying for them upfront - 99% of the time they're not giving me anything.   I also want refundable fares but won't pay a ridiculously higher price for one.  I like X, but they aren't the only game in town, so I guess I will just have to watch prices and probably start booking after final payment or cruise on another line.  Either way, not a big deal for me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BEAV said:

I've been finding pricing to be all over the map with regard to booking "sail only" rates vs. rates w/2 perks. On some sailings the difference between two rates is considerable. Other sailings, it's minimal (IMO). 

I've also been surfing a variety of on-line TAs that have been savvy enough to program their computers to display all available rates in a fashion that's much easier to compare, unlike Celebrity's site. And, in addition to that, finding pricing on certain categories that offer the 2-perk upcharge for a very minimal amount. 

You have to do a lot of searching to find the best bang. But that's nothing new these days. There are some great "deals" out there, you just have to be willing to invest the time (and energy!).

I've been looking at those sites as well.  It seems that now the "Standard" rate is the same as the 2 perk rate on the cruises I looked at.  With the prior promotion Sail Beyond or whatever it was called "Standard" rate was significantly higher.

I also find it frustrating that when you click on a cabin on the Celebrity site it won't tell you the sub category (2D, 2C, 2B etc).  Even when you go to check out.  These other TA sites are essential to doing proper research.

Has anyone seen a senior or resident rate since the new pricing structure was put into place?

Edited by wrk2cruise

3 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I also find it frustrating that when you click on a cabin on the Celebrity site it won't tell you the sub category (2D, 2C, 2B etc).  Even when you go to check out.  These other TA sites are essential to doing proper research.

Has anyone seen a senior or resident rate since the new pricing structure was put into place?

I saw a good rate on a 2D on a TA website that I tried to emulate on the Celebrity website. But as you said, on their site you don't know what category you're seeing. I was unable to find that 2D on the =X= website to compare. Frustrating!

Yes, I've seen resident and senior rates since the restructuring. Having said that, I'm looking at close-in sailings leaving in May where you're more likely to see those kind of rates. On most occasions, we book after final payment time. 

My Reflection cruise in March 2020 went up $700 per person with two perks overnight with the new rate structure for an Aqua A1. If I look at what I booked 2 months before it's gone up enough to pay for a new cruise.

3 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I don't mind them. Even if I'm paying out of pocket, dollar to value, I still have a hard time finding a comparable cabin + set of adds on with any other line that rivals Celebrity's overall value. Add in TA incentives/group prices in addition and Celebrity is usually a no brainer for us. 

My notes from when I shopped Royal vs. Celebrity on the same itinerary at time of booking...

Explorer of the Seas 

$3358 base fare + ~1000 drinks + $261 gratuities + $350 Wifi + $0.00 OBC from RC or TA = $4969. 

Celebrity Silhouette 

$4118 base fare + premium drinks/2 wifi packages/$0 gratuities and $450 OBC. 

Nearly 23% more to go on the 'less expensive' cruise. No thanks! 

I just did a comparison of the almost identical itinerary on Solstice vs Serenade.

Both 19 days...and very, very close on the itinerary.  Serenade has one more sea day  - they leave Sydney within a week of each other.

Prices for two in Canadian

$6755  Balcony - Serenade No Perks but refundable deposit

$6000 Balcony - Serenade no perks but non-refundable deposit

$9348 Balcony - Solstice No Perks, Non Refundable Deposit

$11,370  Balcony - Solstice 2 Perks and a refundable deposit

a $4615 difference for two perks...OUCH  Or, I could stick with HAL... 18 days. $8,300 Canadian. Balcony, Drink Package, Dinner in the Pinnacle and a refundable deposit, 1 less sea day than Solstice and 2 less than RCL.  Celebrity are nuts.

Edited by Cruise Junky

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Celebrity is very good in marketing and upselling.

Unfortunately what many people don't realize, is that once you add the cost of all the "perks" (plus specialty restaurants, specialty teas and coffees, shuttles etc.) you can book Oceania or Azamara for almost the same price. Our last Azamara cruise included free internet, free gratuities, $500 onboard credit, premium beverage package etc. Oceania always includes all specialty restaurants. The more confusing the terms, the easier it is to cause people to buy those overpriced items ($300 for internet? Seriously?)

Same as people who buy Honda and Toyota, add all the options, and don't realize that they could buy Lexus or Acura for almost the same price..  

Always get a chuckle when I see a posting like this. I am sure there are many reasons to book Oceania or Azamara (e.g. for their superb food and service) but their all inclusive pricing is not one of them!

I challenge you to find comparable cruises for which Celebrity's effective all inclusive price is "almost the same price" as their all inclusive pricing.

Here is a randomly chosen comparison.

Australia/New Zealand cruises:

Oceania Regatta 14-night 1/20/20 in cheapest balcony B2 with basic beverage included

$8199.00 pp or $584.64 per night

Azamara Journey 15-night 2/8/20 in cheapest balcony V3 with basic beverage included

$5624.00

$427.32 T&F

$6051.32 pp or $403.42 per night

Celebrity Solstice 13-night 2/17/20 in most expensive standard balcony 1A

with a 12% larger cabin and 25% larger balcony (not counting the larger angled balcony space)

$2479.00 Fare

$196.19 T&F

$450.00 4-perk upgrade with premium beverage

$428.00 12-night specialty restaurant package + 1 additional night at $50

$3553.19 pp or $296.10 per night

Total "Inclusive Cost" per night Summary:

Oceania is 97% higher than Celebrity

Azamara is 36% higher than Celebrity

I'd love to see a case where Oceania or Azamara prices were more in line with Celebrity - so please show me.

And again, I am not saying that Celebrity is at the same quality level - just that the "all inclusive" pricing is no where close to that of Celebrity.

Edited by NantahalaCruiser
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Really? What cabin type are you comparing? I’ve been intrigued by specific Azamara itineraries for years, but each time I compare a Veranda cabin on the two lines, I find that Azamara costs significantly more.  Ditto for Oceania, except the cost difference is larger. At least a Veranda cabin on Oceania Riviera or Marina would be larger than my closet. The same cannot be said for Azamara, or Oceania’s other ships. Also, I haven’t seen a “Premium” drink package included on Azamara.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1