YIKES, 2 Pier Runners Left Behind!

54 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Passports are not required on a closed loop cruise. 

True but, if you do not have a Passport, you need to have a Passport Card, a Birth Certificate, or an Enhanced Drivers License.  Other than the Enhanced Drivers License (which is not available to everyone), those are all documents that people often leave in the safes in their cabins.

2 hours ago, AdGuyMG said:

Why's that?

Different company. Celebrity and Royal are the same company. They already had payment, verification of the guests identity, and confirmation of their destination. Carnival wouldn't have had any of that. They'd just be picking up a stranded passenger who was supporting a competitor.

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

But once they switched ships, was it still a closed loop cruise? 

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Passports are required if these guests are not US citizens which is the case for me and I suspect for you also considering where you live.

12 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

But once they switched ships, was it still a closed loop cruise? 

That is a very good question. Is it now two different one way cruises?

At least there won't be a problem meeting the Passenger Vessel Service Act of 1886 as each vessel either disembarked or embarked those passengers in a foreign port.

But, did they learn their lesson?  In 27 cruises, we have never even been close to all aboard time.  I think the closest we've been is 1.5 hours before all aboard.  I'm really surprised they were able to board Celebrity.  I wonder what it will cost them.  It won't be free and shouldn't be.  BTW, saying they were "left behind" makes it sound like it was RCI's fault instead of theirs.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

THIS is why I no longer book private excursions. I just cant imagine. 

I wonder how late they were? 

I’m on Symphony right now and saw the whole incident from my balcony. They came back at around 4:10 and our all aboard was 3:30. The ship announcements called for them multiple times before closing everything. They were about 5 minutes too late. We had another group of 14 people show up in golf carts super late too at 4pm. They all got on. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, flcruising89 said:

I’m on Symphony right now and saw the whole incident from my balcony. They came back at around 4:10 and our all aboard was 3:30. The ship announcements called for them multiple times before closing everything. They were about 5 minutes too late. We had another group of 14 people show up in golf carts super late too at 4pm. They all got on. 

omg I would just die right there on the pier. 

I wonder what the hold up was. 

I have so much anxiety about missing the boat. I cant take private tours anymore. Peace of mind costs more but is worth it. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

omg I would just die right there on the pier. 

I wonder what the hold up was. 

I have so much anxiety about missing the boat. I cant take private tours anymore. Peace of mind costs more but is worth it. 

Same here. I was stressed for them just seeing it all go down. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

10 hours ago, actuarian said:

True but, if you do not have a Passport, you need to have a Passport Card, a Birth Certificate, or an Enhanced Drivers License.  Other than the Enhanced Drivers License (which is not available to everyone), those are all documents that people often leave in the safes in their cabins.

So, why are people assuming that these people who missed the ship are Americans? 🤔

I know for a fact, Canadians and Brits can be just as stupid (or ingenious) !! 😉

• Like 1

I´d be interested to hear from the Chief or Aquahound About the implications this has About hte authorities in regards to submitted cruise manifest, Clearing Immigration and customs.

That is especially in regards to Ceoebrity who Chose to pick them up, as it surely happens more frequently to arrive with less passengers than departed, but getting additional People OnBoard is probably a more rare occurance.

Edited by 123funcruiser

32 minutes ago, 123funcruiser said:

I´d be interested to hear from the Chief or Aquahound About the implications this has About hte authorities in regards to submitted cruise manifest, Clearing Immigration and customs.

That is especially in regards to Ceoebrity who Chose to pick them up, as it surely happens more frequently to arrive with less passengers than departed, but getting additional People OnBoard is probably a more rare occurance.

More rare, true.

The exceptional situations would be "fly on" entertainers like comedians who may join the ship for the last 2, 3 or 4 nights of a 7 night sailing and contractors who may also need to join mid cruise and stay until debarkation.

There are procedures and protocols for this.

2 minutes ago, AdGuyMG said:

More rare, true.

The exceptional situations would be "fly on" entertainers like comedians who may join the ship for the last 2, 3 or 4 nights of a 7 night sailing and contractors who may also need to join mid cruise and stay until debarkation.

There are procedures and protocols for this.

I know About Entertainers and contractors, but These are Pretty much pre Setup and coordinated in Advance. That´s certainly a different matter vs. guests joining on extremely short notice the last night of the cruise. I would also think there´s a difference between guests and People working on the ship. 

1 hour ago, 123funcruiser said:

I know About Entertainers and contractors, but These are Pretty much pre Setup and coordinated in Advance. That´s certainly a different matter vs. guests joining on extremely short notice the last night of the cruise. I would also think there´s a difference between guests and People working on the ship. 

Don't forget cruise ships frequently rescue stranded fishermen and in past those escaping Cuba.

• Like 1