Carnival Fascination Passenger Jumps Overboard Intentionally

shof515

8 hours ago, gtouch said:

You can't fix crazy......I wish we could.

The article did say he was 19; maybe someday he will grow up. I think we all probably did crazy things as a teenager and in our 20s.

42 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The article did say he was 19; maybe someday he will grow up. I think we all probably did crazy things as a teenager and in our 20s.

You're right there but for whatever reason I never felt the urge to jump from a ship into the middle of the ocean.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Back home and watched the whole thing from my OV cabin.  It was more annoying than anything as we only had one sea day and that was when it happened . . . 8 a.m. you hear a distress signal and anchor dropping and a bunch of life vests being thrown from balconies.  Was worried for him at first but quickly found out he did it on purpose and got irritated.

It was surreal watching him attempt to swim back to the ship, clearly a decent swimmer but the current would push him further away every attempt and after 30 seconds he would just stop swimming and float to catch his breath.

Carnival handled it extremely well.  All phases.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I certainly did crazy things... thankfully nothing *that* crazy though! Glad he is okay, even though that is incredibly annoying. I recall being on the Liberty back in May 2016 when a woman went over on purpose. In the middle of the night. She was not rescued as it was like 12-14 hours before anyone noticed she was missing. I hope he got some kind of valuable life lesson out of this! 

4 years ago, my dh and I were on RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas doing a 11 Australian cruise.  We had an Aft Wrapped balcony. One night we were awakened by knocking one our door. I jumped up thinking it was the friends we were cruising with. To my surprise, it was 2 ship officers and security. They asked if they could access our balcony because a passenger was trying to jump overboard two decks straight above us! Of course I let them in. They had a safety harness and proceeded to climb up the back of the ship so they could grab the person from behind. We were told later that they took the passenger to the hospital at the next port. We received a free steak dinner, along with our friends, at the steakhouse for our trouble!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

I hope Carnival has some recourse against this passenger.

Yeah like charging him a substantial amount $$$$

and then banning him for life not just from Carnival Cruise Line

but from the entire Carnival Corporation fleet

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kdawg954 said:

Back home and watched the whole thing from my OV cabin.  It was more annoying than anything as we only had one sea day and that was when it happened . . . 8 a.m. you hear a distress signal and anchor dropping and a bunch of life vests being thrown from balconies.  Was worried for him at first but quickly found out he did it on purpose and got irritated.

It was surreal watching him attempt to swim back to the ship, clearly a decent swimmer but the current would push him further away every attempt and after 30 seconds he would just stop swimming and float to catch his breath.

Carnival handled it extremely well.  All phases.

We were on the ship as well. I was worried too until I found it he did it on purpose. I agree, Carnival handled it very well, and he was really lucky he was rescued so quickly. 

10 hours ago, jestlove said:

We were on the ship as well. I was worried too until I found it he did it on purpose. I agree, Carnival handled it very well, and he was really lucky he was rescued so quickly. 

I'm not quite understanding--you were no longer worried when you found out he jumped on purpose? I suppose you meant that he deserved whatever bad thing happened to him, but what about others? Don't you think he had parents, possibly grandparents, possibly siblings who could have been devastated if worst came to worst? Don't you think there would have been a pall over the whole ship if say he had died or even been seriously medically affected?

Yes, he deserves whatever punishment Carnival might mete out such as fining him for the cost of the rescue and/or banning him from cruises, but no longer worrying about his fate seems over the top. I hope I am misinterpreting what you wrote.

• Like 3

First off, though a generally happy ending to a situation that usually does not end well, condolences to the family of this person that must now deal with the root and fallout of this child-adult's decision. 

AS for consequences the person that jumped most likely they will spend the time until the next port under security detention either in the brig or in a cabin with no outside access, then be debarked at the next port to either authorities or a hospital. If the age reported is correct it is less likely if the parents/guardians will be required to debark as well though as a show of family solidarity I would hope at least one family member stays with him. Unfortunately how to get home from the forced debarkation as well as any expenses incurred from the early debarkation will be at the individual's expense.

The teen will certainly be banned from all Carnival Corp owned cruise lines, and if the cruise line feels that he was encouraged by anyone else on board, those person(s) will be as well. According to the rumor mill there is a chance other cruise lines can chose to ban the individual from ever sailing their lines as well, not much different than an airline reporting an unruly passenger with a recommendation to be placed on the federal "No Fly List".

45 minutes ago, maryred said:

First off, though a generally happy ending to a situation that usually does not end well, condolences to the family of this person that must now deal with the root and fallout of this child-adult's decision. 

AS for consequences the person that jumped most likely they will spend the time until the next port under security detention either in the brig or in a cabin with no outside access, then be debarked at the next port to either authorities or a hospital. If the age reported is correct it is less likely if the parents/guardians will be required to debark as well though as a show of family solidarity I would hope at least one family member stays with him. Unfortunately how to get home from the forced debarkation as well as any expenses incurred from the early debarkation will be at the individual's expense.

The teen will certainly be banned from all Carnival Corp owned cruise lines, and if the cruise line feels that he was encouraged by anyone else on board, those person(s) will be as well. According to the rumor mill there is a chance other cruise lines can chose to ban the individual from ever sailing their lines as well, not much different than an airline reporting an unruly passenger with a recommendation to be placed on the federal "No Fly List".

I don't believe that airlines can recommend someone to the federal "No Fly List" for being unruly. That is not what the list is for.

3 minutes ago, gtouch said:

I don't believe that airlines can recommend someone to the federal "No Fly List" for being unruly. That is not what the list is for.

Whether the Feds elect or not

to actually place said person on their NoFly List is another matter.

Willing to bet the Feds have a close look

at all recommendations, notes, leaks, birdies-who-just-flew-in-the-window's

......just in case!  Aviation Security is serious stuff!

He is very lucky to have survived.  The amount of arrogance in some folks that they willingly choose to act stupid and not think about how they are endangering others just boggles my mind!  I realize that we have all been 19, but seriously?  I would like to think he would be banned for life from cruising Carnival.  I feel badly for his parents, that they have to deal with the fall-out from this for possible future vacations and just in general worrying about what other bad decisions their son will make.  SMDH

Vicki

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I'm not quite understanding--you were no longer worried when you found out he jumped on purpose? I suppose you meant that he deserved whatever bad thing happened to him, but what about others? Don't you think he had parents, possibly grandparents, possibly siblings who could have been devastated if worst came to worst? Don't you think there would have been a pall over the whole ship if say he had died or even been seriously medically affected?

Yes, he deserves whatever punishment Carnival might mete out such as fining him for the cost of the rescue and/or banning him from cruises, but no longer worrying about his fate seems over the top. I hope I am misinterpreting what you wrote.

Because they found out at the same time, he was fine and he did it on purpose.

There would have been no pall over the entire ship if he had died.  In fact, you can bet there would have been people lined up at GS to ask for compensation.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Because they found out at the same time, he was fine and he did it on purpose.

There would have been no pall over the entire ship if he had died.  In fact, you can bet there would have been people lined up at GS to ask for compensation.  

I realize there would be less sympathy for him because it was his own willful act, but the attitude I am reading is that if he died, so what he deserved it. I think that is way over the top, and again I hope I am misinterpreting what I am reading.

He's 19 and stupid, like a lot of us were. And he deserves punishment and a chance to learn that actions have consequences, but DEATH?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, purplephenom said:

Yikes.  How dumb.  I'm surprised he survived hitting the water- but glad they were able to rescue him.  

Do not hit the water right from that height and you can easily break your back. Imagine a belly flop.

I have some empathy for this guy's family, zero sympathy for him.

My strongest feeling is gratitude to the crew members who were placed in a dangerous situation in launching and manning the lifeboat for the rescue operation.

Edited by bury me at sea
  • Like 2