The Edge Invinate Veranada warning

tapemann

Be warned about the Infinite Verandas on the Edge. If one person gets up early and wants to sit on the Balcony and opens the shade, The WHOLE cabin is flooded with light and the 2nd person could wake up. CEL need to add a 2nd dark Curtin at the start of the Balcony to keep the light out. They are testing adding Tint or frosting to the Glass. This will not work!

Not sure how to put this but I do think that somewhere in the process something went wrong with Edge. It is like no one who had a practical / realistic mind looked at the plans to see if there could be potential issues. Surely, that is what all businesses do when planning new projects. Is it me???

I really am looking forward to EDGE but some of the issues that are having to be changed (costing money) should have been foreseen by someone in the planning process...

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, tapemann said:

Be warned about the Infinite Verandas on the Edge. If one person gets up early and wants to sit on the Balcony and opens the shade, The WHOLE cabin is flooded with light and the 2nd person could wake up. CEL need to add a 2nd dark Curtin at the start of the Balcony to keep the light out. They are testing adding Tint or frosting to the Glass. This will not work!

um every room ive had on a ship if i open the shade the room gets flooded with light ..your going out on the balcony leave the shade shut 😛

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, AIROHS said:

um every room ive had on a ship if i open the shade the room gets flooded with light ..your going out on the balcony leave the shade shut 😛

This won't work on the IV on edge if you want to go out and watch the ocean. The shade is between the balcony and ocean. Not between the room and balcony. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Not sure how to put this but I do think that somewhere in the process something went wrong with Edge. It is like no one who had a practical / realistic mind looked at the plans to see if there could be potential issues. Surely, that is what all businesses do when planning new projects. Is it me???

Nope! Not just you, many have the same opinion. For such a large investment and change there definitely should have been more thought put into it including obtaining feedback from experienced cruisers as well as potential target markets (focus groups). 

Edited by bkbarrym
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AIROHS said:

Have you been assigned an Infinite Veranda stateroom on the Edge? If so, what was your experience?

I couldn't agree more with the OP.  I thoroughly enjoyed the Edge, but not the IV balcony area.  They should just get rid of the blinds and put a blackout curtain at the edge of the balcony, although if the window is put down, it will blow the curtain around.  But it would work if the window was left closed.  I am pretty sure that X will find a way to make this work better.  They have too many ships on order that will have this issue if they don't.  I would love to cruise on the Apex, but certainly wouldn't book an IV.

• Like 1

Celebrity has heard the concerns and on another thread about changes it was reported that they were going to do a trial with frosted glass on the bi-fold doors.

Our IV Cabin had the bed by the balcony and this was my solution.  It worked great and we are taking it on our other cruises as it would allow opening the veranda drape more so I could get ready in the a.m. while DH sleeps.65DF9510-3DB8-471C-801D-3470E88E2C4C.thumb.jpeg.052e70a2a1f8df9a4bb67c2676981db5.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Celebrity has heard the concerns and on another thread about changes it was reported that they were going to do a trial with frosted glass on the bi-fold doors.

Our IV Cabin had the bed by the balcony and this was my solution.  It worked great and we are taking it on our other cruises as it would allow opening the veranda drape more so I could get ready in the a.m. while DH sleeps.65DF9510-3DB8-471C-801D-3470E88E2C4C.thumb.jpeg.052e70a2a1f8df9a4bb67c2676981db5.jpeg

While I'm sure this worked just fine it shouldn't be necessary for passengers to bring their own jerry-rigged solutions for something that should have been foreseen.

• Like 13

I’m one of those who did not dislike the IV, rather enjoyed it more than we normally do with a non-IV veranda.  The space is smaller but that whole space becomes an extension of the cabin.  During very hot or cold weather you can sit out with the window opened a few inches and enjoy the surf sound and the view.  We get up together so the blind wasn’t an issue.  Finally, it is very private and you are not listening to your neighbors conversations.

This is certainly not a new topic on CC.  For those who have one booked you might want to check out the Edge reviews, you might be surprised.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Silkroad said that they have added the frosted doors to 50 IVs so far as a trial. She was able to see one and took some pictures both inside with doors shut (post # 287) and outside on veranda with doors shut (post # 288). Here is the link to the pictures:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2657751-potential-edge-modifications-revealed-by-cruise-critic-editor/?do=findComment&comment=57479944

It's hard to tell if it would be dark enough for most people, but looks like it might work for us. We were able to work around the morning issue with the non-frosted IV (I got up at 6 and he sleeps in later on vacation), but it wasn't ideal. I am not totally convinced they will solve the issue for most, but hope so and am glad they are trying it. I will reserve judgment until we hear how they worked from people who have sailed in those frosted cabins. I hope someone will report back soon.

Edited by vtcruising

We actually liked the IV cabin..bed by veranda...Wish the  veranda part was a bit larger for better functionality

We liked using it as a Florida/ Sunroom... At times  better than a windy wet sunny balcony...but we like those too!

We have 2 Sunset Verandas booked..EDGE and APEX but after seeing how much attention Concierge guests are given  lately  we might try a Concierge with an IV..

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2

Oh good!  We won’t pay the IV price so we booked a Panoramic OV on the 4/2019 TA because we felt that our 7 days in Jan wasn’t enough to explore and try everything the ship had to offer.  

A few days after booking our TA had C2 cabins for the same price as the Panoramic OV so we switched - heck 5 pts vs 2 per night.  We have never booked CC usually do AQ or Suites.  Looking forward to the attention, whatever that entails. 

Edited by jelayne
Typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

I just can't imagine having to bring something like on a cruise ….. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

I just can't imagine having to bring something like on a cruise ….. 

Why not weights very little and we also use it on  Sclass ships when we have bed by the bath, our preference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Silkroad said that they have added the frosted doors to 50 IVs so far as a trial. She was able to see one and took some pictures both inside with doors shut (post # 287) and outside on veranda with doors shut (post # 288). Here is the link to the pictures:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2657751-potential-edge-modifications-revealed-by-cruise-critic-editor/?do=findComment&comment=57479944

It's hard to tell if it would be dark enough for most people, but looks like it might work for us. We were able to work around the morning issue with the non-frosted IV (I got up at 6 and he sleeps in later on vacation), but it wasn't ideal. I am not totally convinced they will solve the issue for most, but hope so and am glad they are trying it. I will reserve judgment until we hear how they worked from people who have sailed in those frosted cabins. I hope someone will report back soon.

As I posted on the VT’s thread while I was still on board, and again on my own thread on which I’m reviewing our recent Edge TA, new chairs (presumably better suited to the space) for the Infinite Veranda cabins are on order for those verandas. Better chairs should make the veranda more useful, because one could then open and close the bifold doors without having to move furniture. There are no plans to remove the blind from the window.

I’m nearing the end of my review, and even though I’ve already reviewed my cabin on Vt’s cabin sticky, I’m still trying to come up with how to best summarize our (DH and myself) final assessment of our IV cabin. I do not share in the wholesale condemnation of the IV cabins that has been expressed by some on this thread, but I cannot say the IV cabin veranda was perfect for us.

Though I saw, and photographed, one of the frosted bifold doors, I did not stay in one of those cabins. I look forward to reading reviews by those who have.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 3

DH and I have cruised enough, over enough years to know what works for us and what doesn't. The IV's don't. We don't want to bring our own "curtains" on a vacation that's already overpriced. Glad it works for some. DH or I often go out onto the verandah to read at night late, or early morning while the other sleeps. Opening the window to enjoy the sea breezes wouldn't work because the cabin would get warm, the window and shade opening would wake the sleeper and the room would get warm...and did I mention the cabin would get warm? We couldn't spray suntan lotion or bug spray outside on the verandah, but would have the fumes in our room. There's no table out there to enjoy a glass of wine, or coffee and croissants. Thanks, but no thanks for us. To those who enjoy them, we say, you're welcome to the space we've left.

• Like 11

9 hours ago, jelayne said:

Why not weights very little and we also use it on  Sclass ships when we have bed by the bath, our preference.

Glad it works for you, just seems like you shouldn't have to do that, but it is an innovative solution...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scorpio123456 said:

Just back from cruise on Edge had IV cabin. Enjoyed it.

But would not pay the extra cost as it is a ocean view with a widow that opens.

You don’t get the balcony experience, sound of waves wind in you hair sun on your face.

Great!  I hope you’ll review your cabin on the Edge cabin sticky, located near the top of the CC Celebrity board🙂

I agree that it’s not the same balcony experience, but I certainly did hear (and smell) the sea more than I would have done in an OV. I also felt the wind and sun, though less so than on regular balcony. 

Edited by Silkroad

2 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Great!  I hope you’ll review your cabin on the Edge cabin sticky, located near the top of the CC Celebrity board🙂

I agree that it’s not the same balcony experience, but I certainly did hear (and smell) the sea. I also felt the wind and sun, though less so than on regular balcony. 

I agree. This was my view - I had sun, wind, sea air, though not the usual experience - different, but pleasant.

image.thumb.png.312b75f6b7294ba0ba8068bcf7d6e7c5.png

image.thumb.png.ab6dd542a32bb6702f568783651ebc86.png