Galveston ship replacing Liberty?

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Reading Wiki entries may not be obvious - look at the waterline beam width - exactly the same between those ships.

Radiance class has very little to do with Voyager class other than both of them being operated by RCI.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Freedom-class has Flowrider while Voyager-class (non-Amped)  does not😉

Edited by HBE4

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Plenty of non amped have them as well. I think all but Voyager. 

You're right, I stand corrected.

Apparently I haven't been paying attention to the Voyager-class.

2 hours ago, theotherchad said:

Several have suggested that upgrading to an Oasis class might be pushing the limits of demand, but honestly, every single cruise out of Galveston has been filled to capacity and I see no reason to think that won't continue. Suites and balconies mostly sell out well in advance. Someone else also mentioned limited destinations, but that is a red herring. 
Galveston ported 7 day cruises have gone and can go to:

1) Cozumel (obviously)

2) Costa Maya, MX

3) Progresso, MX

4) Roatan, Honduras

5) Belize

6) Falmouth, Jamaica

7) Ocho Rios, Jamaica

8. Montego Bay, Jamaica

9) Grand Cayman

10) Key West

11) CoCo Cay

That's just the destinations I know of for sure and I have personally been to all those destinations except Belize and CoCo Cay. I have no doubt that an Oasis class ship sailing out of Galveston will fill up just fine, along with at least two other ships doing shorter itineraries. 

Oasis can't go to Grand Cayman or Belize. If they won't go to Cayman, I really doubt they would go to Jamaica as that would be a 7-night cruise to Cozumel and Jamaica with 4 Sea Days. Considering the excursions are basically the same for the three Jamaica ports, I don't think listing all three really means much except to make the list longer, and RCL only takes Oasis into on side of the Falmouth pier.

So as it stands today it leaves the Bahamas and the Mexican ports plus Roatan. And the Bahama routes are pretty cold for swimming a decent chunk of the year.

Edited by OSUZorba

16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Plenty of non amped have them as well. I think all but Voyager. 

I am a bit confused now. I have looked at deck plans from 2 different sites and they both show Voyager as having a flowrider. I have never been on her so i don't have first hand information

2 hours ago, theotherchad said:

Several have suggested that upgrading to an Oasis class might be pushing the limits of demand, but honestly, every single cruise out of Galveston has been filled to capacity and I see no reason to think that won't continue. Suites and balconies mostly sell out well in advance. Someone else also mentioned limited destinations, but that is a red herring. 
Galveston ported 7 day cruises have gone and can go to:

1) Cozumel (obviously)

2) Costa Maya, MX

3) Progresso, MX

4) Roatan, Honduras

5) Belize

6) Falmouth, Jamaica

7) Ocho Rios, Jamaica

8. Montego Bay, Jamaica

9) Grand Cayman

10) Key West

11) CoCo Cay

None of our top 7 are on that list.

In no particular order:

Bonaire

Cuacao

Aruba

St. Maartin

St. Thomas

Labadee

St. Kitts

Sure some of that is completely our preference, but the Eastern and Southern ports are so much better IMO.

Dan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molsonschooner said:

I am a bit confused now. I have looked at deck plans from 2 different sites and they both show Voyager as having a flowrider. I have never been on her so i don't have first hand information

Looks like they all have flowriders now.

Adventure 2016

Explorer 2015

Mariner 2018

Navigator 2014

Voyager 2015

Edited by John&LaLa

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

None of our top 7 are on that list.

In no particular order:

Bonaire

Cuacao

Aruba

St. Maartin

St. Thomas

Labadee

St. Kitts

Sure some of that is completely our preference, but the Eastern and Southern ports are so much better IMO.

Dan

In fairness 3 of your favorites can’t be reached on a 7 day from anywhere other than San Juan, so that’s really not a Galveston issue. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

In fairness 3 of your favorites can’t be reached on a 7 day from anywhere other than San Juan, so that’s really not a Galveston issue. 

That is true.  Fair enough.   I would be happy if they did longer cruises out of Galveston that did reach those locations though 

Dan

• Like 2

On 8/15/2019 at 12:17 AM, RCCL Fan said:

Wow I never thought of that...

Liberty does Jamaica, Grand Cayman, & Cozumel....  and Allure can't dock in Grand Cayman.    

Howdy Wayne! Hey...no ships can "dock" in Cayman.... they all tender. Unless something has changed recently....

1 hour ago, SRV FAN said:

Howdy Wayne! Hey...no ships can "dock" in Cayman.... they all tender. Unless something has changed recently....

Grand Cayman has plans (will take several years from now) to build a pier but there are some that are opposing it.  It appears they have enough signatures on a referendum to bring it up for a general election vote in November.

As far as Oasis ship to replace Liberty.  I have noticed on the Galveston webcam that Liberty backs out of the pier and turns around near the ferry crossing, which is closer to the new pier 3 location.  One of the plans to prepare for an Oasis size ship is that the turning basin needed to be widened.  If they are now doing this maneuver maybe they are proving that part of the expansion doesn't have to be done.

Edited by Junkhouse

On 6/16/2019 at 3:59 PM, CruisingJoe09 said:

The question is - where will Liberty be going? Maybe Fort Lauderdale with Indy going back to Southampton if the Brits want her back.

I think Brits would have Indy back at Southampton (I know I would, or equally happy with Liberty or any RCI ship) However, the prices need to drop before I go on a cruise out of Southampton with RCI! It's cheaper for us to fly to Miami, stay at a hotel, and do a Caribbean Cruise than it is to sail with RCI out of Southampton at the moment! 

On 8/15/2019 at 3:44 PM, John&LaLa said:

Looks like they all have flowriders now.

Adventure 2016

Explorer 2015

Mariner 2018

Navigator 2014

Voyager 2015

Thanks! I knew Mariner and Navigator had Flowriders but I didn't know about the rest.

As I said earlier, I guess I don't pay attention to the Voyager class. I might be in the minority on this, but I think it's an awkward-size.  Too big for the "little ship with a big heart" feel with the views and connection to the ocean.....but too small for the crowds to spread out and the "ship is the destination" feel.

Don't get me wrong, for the right price/itinerary, I'll sail on them.

On 8/16/2019 at 10:10 AM, SRV FAN said:

Lynne you know what i meant, LOL !

Wrong choice of words....  😉

I'll try again. 

since it's a tender port RCI won't send Allure there. lol   

(at least in the past Oasis class ships haven't tendered)

On 8/16/2019 at 6:34 PM, EmilyJay said:

I think Brits would have Indy back at Southampton (I know I would, or equally happy with Liberty or any RCI ship) However, the prices need to drop before I go on a cruise out of Southampton with RCI! It's cheaper for us to fly to Miami, stay at a hotel, and do a Caribbean Cruise than it is to sail with RCI out of Southampton at the moment! 

I agree - prices are too high and then they withdraw a ship because it isn't selling.

I hope that Indy is back for 2021, although would most people be able to tell the difference between the revamped Indy and revamped Liberty?

Anthem is like marmite - people love her or hate her and she has to do well next year otherwise I can't see her coming back to the UK. Her last season in 2015 didn't go too well. Given that she is so different to the other ships and isn't everyone's cup of tea, I would hate if she (or Odyssey) were the only option in Southampton in 2021. I also don't see one of the small ships being in the UK.

• 4 weeks later...