What advice to give to kids?

Ranyw

Hi, hope everyone is doing well.  So out of the blue we have 3 families joining us on our next cruise.  They have kids aging from 6 to 17.  What advice should I give the kids?  I’m already planning on telling them:

no running.

stay near your folks.

don't get too close or climb the railings.

be on your best behavior.

What pearls of wisdom would you bestow?

-ron

Have fun!

Make friends with the other kids!

Look out for each other!

Remember not everything is free! Before you let them swipe your card, ask if it costs anything!

You can request specific towel animals from your cabin steward instead of just having a random one show up.
We love seeing what random thing they leave us, but last cruise we really wanted to see a dinosaur and a stingray so we requested those towards the end since we hadn't seen them yet.

Be polite to the crew! Especially the stewards and the servers. They are there to make your trip more enjoyable and it really makes their job easier.

I would also suggest downloading the Carnival Hub app for the kids that have a mobile device.
Since the Fun Times is on the app, you can look ahead at each day and plan out what you want to do.
You can "favorite" an activity and it will show up in the app of the other people in your cabin so you can know what they want to do as well.
It was great because there were 3 of us on our last trip and so when I saw that my wife and daughter had favorited an activity, I could plan around that.

If they eat in the MDR, remember it is like a nice restaurant so behave.
Also, in the MDR, try something new! If you don't like it you can always get something else!

Don't bug your older sibling.
Don't ignore your younger sibling.

If someone has a drink package (Bottomless Bubbles or Cheers) get a root beer in a tall glass about half full and then go to the soft serve machine and make a root beer float!

• Like 1

In addition to the above mentioned, wash hands and use the sanitizer everytime they go to eat. Lack of washing hands and using sanitizer is a big reason people get sick. Don't grab food with their hands from the buffets, use the utensils, and don't lick fingers or play with hair or face while getting food. Sneeze and cough away from the food area. I know this probably seems weird but I have seen some nasty habits go down at the self serve areas that is gag-worthy. So I always remind my own to be cognizant of what's going on around them to not get infected themselves. Excellent hygiene practices makes for a healthier outcome for all!:) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chervil said:

Remember not everything is free! Before you let them swipe your card, ask if it costs anything!

This is a good conversation to have with the kids and parents. Many many many cruises have ended with parents receiving a surprise bill of things that their kids charged up. The kids should understand that many things on the ship are not free and the parents should talk them about spending limits and be aware of ways to remove or reduce their children’s charging limits.

You can limit their spending and give a per day amount.  This is helpful if they go into the game room.

My kids always met other kids on the ship, and at least with my 16 year old, he is still in touch with some. We always had rules.  Many were mentioned here.  No going into other people's rooms is a big one.  Always have to meet us for dinner, and must be dressed appropriately.  Keeping your drink to yourself is a good one they need to learn before high school parties,  so good to keep those discussions going!  

Remind them that they will meet people from other states and countries.  It is cool to learn about other countries,  but a good lesson in being respectful to others who aren't just like you.   That includes cruise staff.  Some staff like to talk about their children at home.   I teach my kids to be respectful and listen to stories!  

Most importantly have fun!  

Wash your hands if you held a handrail. And don't run your hand along the walls. Germs are everywhere and if you get sick on a cruise ship, they lock you in your room and only feed you soup. (Ok...so the last part is a little scare tactic but I got sick of saying "quit touching the walls!") 😉

To me it is not so much the kids as the worthless parents.  Parents these days don't pay attention to their kids or discipline them.  I would tell the parents take responsibility and be sure your kids don't act like little aholes.

• Like 1

This is what I tell my boys: have fun, behave yourselves and remember just because we are on vacation doesn't mean our common sense and manners have gone on vacation!! All the same rules that apply at home apply here (except bedtime).

Don't lean or sit on railings (or tables - my little pet peeve), RESPECT for others, NEVER go into someone else's cabin or invite anyone into ours, NEVER accept an open drink, and NEVER leave yours unattended (again, this we follow at home).

When you order a drink, if it's at a bar (like on Lido) please make sure not to sit on the bar stool (MANY adults are bothered by this and I don't want to be the parent of "that kid").
I'm sure there is more that I can't think of at the moment.

8 hours ago, Ranyw said:

Hi, hope everyone is doing well.  So out of the blue we have 3 families joining us on our next cruise.  They have kids aging from 6 to 17.  What advice should I give the kids?  I’m already planning on telling them:

no running.

stay near your folks.

-ron

You should give advise to the parents and not the kids.  Most of the time, it's the lack of control of the parents, that cause the kids to misbehave. 

• Like 2

I would say don't go down to all cabin floors unless your group has rooms on that floor- there's no reason to be running around the hallways.

Don't overload your plate at the buffet, you can always go back.  So much food is wasted on a cruise, just take what you think you'll eat, they're not running out.

Don't sit on the stairs as a group.  People need to be able to get by.

Pushing all the buttons on the elevator really isn't a fun game, there are much more fun things to do on a cruise. 

Don't go in the pool without a buddy/adult/whatever works for your family- at least for the younger kids.

Don't say you'll be one place, and not be there- a ship isn't a great place to sneak around.  You're too easily found.

Don't break mom and dad's rules- being stuck with mom and dad for the rest of the cruise isn't very fun. 

But honestly, since you're taking the time to ask- I bet you have great kids and you and they will be just fine. 

50 minutes ago, RandomUser123 said:

Not turning this into a parenting form but do not give advice to other people's kids. Their parents may take offense to that. Their parents should be the one to control their kids and offer any advice. 

I'm sure that since they are friends, this would have been worked out ahead of time.

The friends we traveled with when our kids were little, were close enough that they had no problem with us saying something reasonable to their kids and we had no problem with them doing the same with ours.
But that was a discussion we had all had as adults long before we the trip started.

It also sounds like the others may not be experienced cruisers.
I know anytime we are going on a vacation with friends and it's a first time for some, we will always get together to plan things out and so that the ones who have experience can give tips and pointers to the rest of us.
Great time to find out things you may not have thought of and only learn by doing.
None of our group has thin enough skin that we mind being given advice.
And we love it when someone thinks enough of our kids to include them in giving that advice, since most people just ignore kids anyway.

However ymmv, as it would really depend on how close you are.

Extremely simple advice that's rarely used by many humans, kids & adults of all ages. Before you run/rush into an elevator, take a mere 1 to 2 seconds of your time and look to see if anyone is trying to exit that elevator.

In easier terms; Let people out first.

😤

• Like 2

A lot of people have covered the safety and manners stuff.

I'd say drop them off in at the kids club the first day or two and encourage them to make some friends for the rest of the cruise.

Also definitely try new things, food or activities. You don't have to see these people ever again after this week so go try the dance contest, or try the escargot at dinner.

• Like 1

Tell them to wear shoes when entering the restrooms near the pool and water slide areas.  I can't tell you how many kids and adults I have seen enter the restroom barefoot.

Go the kids club the first night or the next day.  Most of the friendships are formed early on when on a cruise ship. 

As others have said, try new foods and activities.   Go to the dining room as this is a special experience and a great time to catch up with others in your group on what you have been doing all day and who you have met. Don't sweat the dress code but remember to at the least dress presentable. 

Be respectful of everyone working on the ship no matter what they do as they are the ones that make your vacation great.  The maintenance crew may seem insignificant until your toilet is clogged and then they are the most sought after crew member on the ship.  Also speak to the crew members because many of them have kids your age and really miss talking and being with them.  

20 hours ago, Ranyw said:

no running.

stay near your folks.

-ron

Hey, I am an older teen myself, so I have a few tips for your 17 year old:

Do not, and I repeat, do not go near bars or night clubs late at night. They are filled with drunk adults who are not in the right mindset. Once, I had one of them ask to take a picture with a group of friends I met. 

Have fun! Don't let others, especially adults, tell you how to live your best cruise life. It frustrates me when some adults believe they are the only ones who can have fun! If you feel that way, go on Viking Cruises or Virgin Voyages!

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 5:30 AM, purplephenom said:

I would say don't go down to all cabin floors unless your group has rooms on that floor- there's no reason to be running around the hallways.

Don't overload your plate at the buffet, you can always go back.  So much food is wasted on a cruise, just take what you think you'll eat, they're not running out.

Don't sit on the stairs as a group.  People need to be able to get by.

Pushing all the buttons on the elevator really isn't a fun game, there are much more fun things to do on a cruise. 

Don't go in the pool without a buddy/adult/whatever works for your family- at least for the younger kids.

Don't say you'll be one place, and not be there- a ship isn't a great place to sneak around.  You're too easily found.

Don't break mom and dad's rules- being stuck with mom and dad for the rest of the cruise isn't very fun. 

But honestly, since you're taking the time to ask- I bet you have great kids and you and they will be just fine. 

Thank you, I tend to travel for work so I don’t see my kids as much as I’d like to.  When we go on a vacation we tend to spend as much time as we can together..