Power Strips Confiscated

LollyMoz

We have cruised for years and have always brought a power strip as there are never enough outlets in the cabin. This has never been a problem, but this time it was confiscated. Obviously I missed something, as did many others since when we went to reclaim it at the end of the cruise, the table was a "sea" of confiscated power strips. I checked with a friend who was on another line at the same time we were and she said that they did not have their power strip taken.  There were two outlets by the desk, so we were okay in the end. I do wish they had a suitable outlet in the bathroom for a hairdryer. The hairdryers on the ship are inadequate to say the least.

Edited by LollyMoz
  • Like 1

I had mine a few ago on the CB. Its not a strip par sat more of a small square  for three plus and 5 USBs. No problem at all. Whoever the housekeeping executive is could be exceptionally strict on the rule which is then passed down to the supervisors then on to the cabin Stewards

It's understandable that a ship would be concerned if all the pax came onboard with so many electric/electronic things that they felt the need for a power strip indicating the things would all be drawing power at the same time.  Ship can generate only so much power for this usage by pax.  BUT it should be clearly stated in the contract the pax agree to (and which they should read before boarding the ship).

• Haha 1

chengkp75 has provided some very detailed technical explanations in the past, but it comes down to this.  A power-strip or other outlet expansion tool (puck, multiplug or usb device) that has surge protection built in represents a safety threat due to the unique characteristics of shipboard electrical distribution systems.

Also, the Princess website provides some pretty specific guidance:

• Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), Ham radios, transformers, lasers, laser pointers, electric extension cords with surge protectors*.
  • *Electrical devices such as small fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

It's understandable that a ship would be concerned if all the pax came onboard with so many electric/electronic things that they felt the need for a power strip indicating the things would all be drawing power at the same time.  Ship can generate only so much power for this usage by pax.  BUT it should be clearly stated in the contract the pax agree to (and which they should read before boarding the ship).

Nope.   That's not the issue.

Ships' wiring is different than shoreside wiring.  By law, any shoreside "neutral" line (the wide slot on a North American wall socket) must be grounded, and even UL-Listed surge-protected power-strips rely on that to do their surge protection without getting hot enough to catch fire.  Afloat, the neutral line is not grounded in order to minimize corrosion.  Oops!

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO Documents/5p/CSNCOE/Safety Alerts/USCG Marine Safety Alert 03-13 Surge Protective Devices Onboard Vessels.pdf?ver=2017-08-08-082206-293

Solution?  Simply pack a simple triple-tap extension cord or three.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LollyMoz said:

We have cruised for years and have always brought a power strip as there are never enough outlets in the cabin. This has never been a problem, but this time it was confiscated. Obviously I missed something, as did many others since when we went to reclaim it at the end of the cruise, the table was a "sea" of confiscated power strips. I checked with a friend who was on another line at the same time we were and she said that they did not have their power strip taken.  There were two outlets by the desk, so we were okay in the end. I do wish they had a suitable outlet in the bathroom for a hairdryer. The hairdryers on the ship are inadequate to say the least.

Do not take any power strips or extension cords. They are available for the asking on the ship.

• Haha 1

For my cruises, I take one of these:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00ALSMFO0

and one of these:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003E46M2Y

and have never had a problem with them being confiscated. Provides me with plenty of outlets without taking up much space.

Also handy to have in the airport where plugs can be at a premium. I can pretty much always find someone who's willing to share their outlet when I pull out the the triple tap plug.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BarbinMich said:

Since we are on the Princess board, this is the wording from Section 13 of the Princess Passage Agreement.

A complete list of prohibited items may be found on the Princess website (external link: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp). This list is subject to change without notice

It takes a little bit of patience, but if you go to that link, sure enough there is another link to   "Prohibited Items."

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp#Prohibited

This list is quite extensive.  About 3/4 of the way through it: 

Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), Ham radios, transformers, lasers, laser pointers, electric extension cords with surge protectors*.

Notice the asterisk (*),  The footnote associated with that asterisk says:

Electrical devices such as small fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

So, power strips, multi plug outlet/adaptors and extension cords that are not configured with surge protectors should be OK to bring on board.  I have had no problem bringing on a little thing that I guess could be described as a multi plug adaptor and another USB hub.  These devices go in my checked luggage, and I have never had a problem.

However, at the end of the "Prohibited Items" list is this:

The above list is not exhaustive. The Ship Security Officer and Staff Captain are authorized to make a professional judgment as to the legality of any item, declared, detected or discovered.

As a passenger, I appreciate the fact that the ship's staff has discretionary power to forbid items that might not be on the list.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

Even if every single cabin was drawing the maximum amount of current that the circuit breakers allow, this would be about 0.5% of the ship's generating capacity.  They are not worried about the amount of power the passengers use, and the circuit breakers, that typically control 2-3 cabins, will limit power draw in those cabins, not restricting the use of power strips.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, LollyMoz said:

I have always  brought on board a power strip( no surge) as well. And I have cruised out of San Pedro ,California many times and no problem. Cannot remember what cruise it was, but once within the past 1 to 2 years( out of San Pedro) I had my power strip in my carry-on and I’d always had it in my checked suitcase before. And the security at the pier took it .told me to take a picture of it with my cell phone and I would get it back at some point. Shortly after   we got on board there was a call from the passenger service desk and said they had my item and I could come pick it up. Never really did get an explanation, but I have always brought the same power strip with no issues, so I guess you just never do know. 

Julie

6 hours ago, LollyMoz said:

Surge Protector.......

You don't say what ship.

Did you carry it on?

In your regular checked/porter luggage?

What embarkation port?

Who took it? Port staff or ships staff?

Generally when port staff take it from a carry on they will give a claim check then give all the confiscated items to security prior to departure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

It would seem that with the modifications associated with Medallion Class ships, and the reliance on cell phones and other devices to take advantage of the technology on ships more outlets would have also been added. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mapu said:

It would seem that with the modifications associated with Medallion Class ships, and the reliance on cell phones and other devices to take advantage of the technology on ships more outlets would have also been added. 

Princess is changing out lamps and replacing them with lamps that have a built in USB port ... at least that's a start...

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Princess is changing out lamps and replacing them with lamps that have a built in USB port ... at least that's a start...

Do you know which ships they've done that on so far?

I avoid taking any type of "cube tap" that doesn't have a cord. I've run into situations where the only available outlet(s) was physically shaped or mounted such that only a corded plug would fit. As such, I take a small outlet strip with a short cord. It has no surge suppression.

7 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I had my non-surge power strip confiscated during security screening at the Port of Los Angeles. I had used that strip maybe three other times leaving out of the same port. It happens.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if my multi-unit will be denied some day. 

It says nothing about surge protection on the device & it's been OK with security & cabin stewards ever since my DH bought it years ago. 

I suppose we'll continue to sail with it until they say something.