Azamara vs river cruise

Yaya999

1 minute ago, Yaya999 said:

Considering a river cruise, but just recently been introduced to Azamara which travels via ocean not river.

Any pros/cons would be appreciated.  

Thanks

We have done both and enjoy both. We choose based on itinerary.

25 minutes ago, mom says said:

You aren't asking about comparing apples to apples; or even apples to oranges. More like apples to orangutans.  Very different items.

I get it. Only want recommendations like Tom47.

13 minutes ago, Yaya999 said:

I get it. Only want recommendations like Tom47.

A river cruise is more like a land tour, but you get to keep your same "hotel" room, because you're on a boat that moves with you.  And, generally, you can get off every day in a new city.

Ocean cruises are like, well, ocean cruises.  You'll have days where there's no port of call.

I've done both.  I like both.  As stated, two different animals.

• Like 2

When my husband retired we did long flight land trips (Australia, China, South America).  As age caught up, we switched to river boat cruises and enjoyed them for several years.  Suddenly mobility issues caught up (you sometimes have to manuver

over 2 or 3 other boats to even get ashore).  So we switched to cruising.  My suggestion would be to analyze your own mobility issues -- do river boat cruises while you can, then move onto cruise ships.  Just one person's opinion.  Enjoy whatever you choose.

Check out the cruise critic River Cruising board: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/115-river-cruising/ , especially the stickies on the top of the page:

We do both ocean and river cruising and I actually find the river cruising much more restful and love that the 3 Uniworld ships we've been on never had more than 130 passengers (and one had less than 80).  Everyone gets spoiled!

Since you mention Azamara as an ocean cruise line, I would recommend that you look into AmaWaterways for river cruises.  They aren't all-inclusive [that would be Crystal, Tauck and Uniworld] but AMA has a wider range of itineraries than those, and they are decidedly more luxurious than Avalon, Grand Circle, Vantage, and Viking. 

AMA provides excellent cuisine [the only river line that is a member of La Chaine des Rotisseurs] and wines [free flowing at meals, also beer].  They don't include all alcohol, but there is a free happy hour before dinner [free makes me very happy!] and the servers are almost pushy about topping up your glass before you leave the dining room.  AMA includes guided tours at every port - often 2 a day and often a selection in each time slot, and almost never an extra charge [unlike some other river cruise lines, even ones that claim to be all-inclusive].  The cabins on their ships offer a range of sizes [many river ships only have cabins that are much smaller than your would be used to from ocean cruising] and 'twin balconies' that combine a French balcony [good for views in all weather] and a real balcony [for fresh air in nice weather].  We have taken 3 cruises with AMA [Rhine, Rhone and Zambezi in Africa] and loved all three.  Azamara and AmaWaterways are our two go-to cruise lines!

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

if the water levels  are low  the river boats  turn into bus tours

With ocean going ships  so far  it has not affected where they sail  in most places

Unless you have really bad weather or port problems.  Then you will not get to go to the places you expected.

DON

22 hours ago, Husky61 said:

Hard for anyone to advise you.  Personally I wouldn't take a river cruise if it were free.

22 hours ago, Husky61 said:

Hard for anyone to advise you.  Personally I wouldn't take a river cruise if it were free.

What are your reasons?

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoy both river and ocean cruises, although they are very different.  What, exactly, are you looking for from a cruise?  And where would you like to go?

River cruises are extremely port intensive, and there is little to no night life on ship -- because you'll be off at the next port at 8 am.  This fits really well with my own travel style - I hate sea days - but is not everybody's cup of tea.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:12 PM, Husky61 said:

Have you ever taken a river cruise?

Personally I wouldn't take a river cruise if it were free.

We've done 7  river cruises in Europe/Russia/Egypt and piggy backing on the above statement that I cut and pasted...I wouldn't take a European "ocean liner' cruise on any line...period.  We did once.  You only see port cities, you're only there for a day (in most cases, ) you  usually get to  a couple of sites to see, and rarely have opportunity to see/participate in any night life, and sometimes  you actually dock an hour or more from the city the brochure says you're going to.   A river cruise is the ONLY way I will cruise in Europe.  Pretty much all tours and excursions are included while on an "ocean liner" cruise to Europe, sometimes the tours/excursions cost  almost as much as the cruise. For us in Europe, it's either a land tour or a river cruise.   We've done Vantage, Grand Circle and Viking and would recommend any of them.

• Like 1

I have done both......sailed with Azamara earlier this year...…..took a river cruise back in 2016 and taking another one next month. The question (in my opinion) is a bit hard to answer because they are totally different experiences.  I loved my river cruise and have been on over 40 ocean cruises...…..Azamara was not in my "favorites" of ocean cruising but I love ocean cruises and I really loved my river cruise.   Again, in my opinion, it is not a fair comparison because they are 180 degrees different from one another.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:12 PM, Husky61 said:

Hi, following up with someone else's question as well...………….have you been on one? And why wouldn't you take one?

They are marvelous and a wonderful way to see places in Europe (in my opinion):classic_smile: