Anytime Dining: Are You Sharing or Table For 2?

need2cruisesoon

On 8/15/2019 at 9:37 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Because most evenings during the year we share our table for two, we are inclined to seek dinner partners when cruising; and because people who do not like sharing a table opt out, we usually find people who are interested in sharing do contribute something: sometimes very little, but often making the meal an interesting opportunity to share ideas.

When my dh was still alive, we always requested  a table to ourselves  and 'got it' 

NOw that  I travel solo, I request  (when I book my cruise , a specific two top  table , set for one in fixed late dining).  Thank fully my request has been honored.

I would be most unhappy if someone thought it would be such fun  to bring a 'strange' gentleman  to my   table.  I do all I can to avoid that

.image.png.48a7441ccccadf89bdae88bf078af6ca.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

When my dh was still alive, we always requested  a table to ourselves  and 'got it' 

NOw that  I travel solo, I request  (when I book my cruise , a specific two top  table , set for one in fixed late dining).  Thank fully my request has been honored.

I would be most unhappy if someone thought it would be such fun  to bring a 'strange' gentleman  to my   table.  I do all I can to avoid that

.image.png.48a7441ccccadf89bdae88bf078af6ca.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

I think it is great that people can choose their preferred dining arrangements.  Before I (re)married, I found cruising to be the most enjoyable way to travel on my own - and I always requested a large table for dinner as an enjoyable path to interaction.

But I certainly would never, if cruising as a single, want to share a dinner table with a stranger (whether “strange” or not).  

Table for two for us, until her retirement last year my wife worked shifts and I own a business and worked long hours so we rarely eat together so it is a treat for us to be together. Also we usually do not eat desert so we find it a bit awkward at a larger table, do we stay and wait for everyone to be finished or leave before desert. 

On 8/16/2019 at 7:52 PM, clo said:

It's funny.  I never knew that drinking from a bottle of beer is considered gauche but I checked and evidently it is.  I rarely drink beer and it's usually a Tsingtao with Chinese food.  We share one and drink from the bottle to keep it as cold as possible.  I REALLY don't like beer that's not super cold.  I think I'll continue to but maybe extend my pinky finger.

I do not think there is only one “right” way to drink a beer.  A lot depends upon one’s own mood - with some deference to locale thrown in.  A Corona on our deck comes from the bottle with a wedge of lime in the neck, at a biergarten in the Westmark it’s from a stein, Peroni with pasta seems right from that stubby bottle,  a warmish half at the local in Holland Park is in a glass filled precisely to the brim, but for some reason a Kirin at our local Sakura tastes best from the bottle.

• Like 1

Just a small anecdote.  We were on a Princess cruise, and were shown to a table for eight, where two people  ( I am deliberately being vague) were sitting . In normal circumstances we would probably not have chosen to sit with them, but , hey ho! They were from New York, we are from the UK.  They didn't drink, we like a glass or three of wine. 

After a while it became apparent that the four of us would be eating together, as it was late,  and no one else was going to join us. Well, we had a fantastic evening - the other diners were great conversationalists,  were well travelled,  and had great senses of humour. The time sped past, and it was one of  the best evenings of our cruise. 

I suppose the moral of the story is that sometimes sharing can be a good thing.

I have no interest in dining with strangers.  Shared tables and the ensuing gaiety might have had a place in the long-ago days of sea voyages as a means to relieve boredom but they are of no particular benefit on a modern mass cruise. The expansion of anytime dining and two-tops are a welcome improvement. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, K32682 said:

I have no interest in dining with strangers.  Shared tables and the ensuing gaiety might have had a place in the long-ago days of sea voyages as a means to relieve boredom but they are of no particular benefit on a modern mass cruise. The expansion of anytime dining and two-tops are a welcome improvement. 

In the “long-ago days of sea voyages” there were no water slides, skating rinks and comparable mode n diversions - but there was interaction with other people.  I suppose the bells an whistles of modern cruise ships are more attractive than that to some.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

In the “long-ago days of sea voyages” there were no water slides, skating rinks and comparable mode n diversions - but there was interaction with other people.  I suppose the bells an whistles of modern cruise ships are more attractive than that to some.

On our first cruise in 1973 the only shipboard activities were shuffleboard and skeet shooting. There was also a pool.I cannot recall that much interaction on the ship aside from dining in the only restaurant.We had a lot of interesting conversations with people from all over the world .

There were also no shore excursions. People went on shore in small groups. This was in  Bermuda.

• Like 1

I believe it's all about the moment... and with this i mean: Some days you are so tired from touring or doing things ashore that you just want to have a quick dinner and go back to the room. Then a 2-top would be the best. Other nights if you feel like meeting people, then a sharing table is a nice option. We never sit on a table bigger than 6 guests, it's hard to hear the conversation if the table is bigger. 

What we also tend to do, is have a drink at a bar before dinner. Sometimes we meet people we have a nice conversation and then we suggest to join for dinner. This way you know you like your table guest. Cause sometimes it does happen that you have another couple at the table and experience a lot of awkward silent moments.

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Well, today there are all sorts of diversions on a cruise ship, we still prefer a two top.

On 8/16/2019 at 12:19 PM, clo said:

Well, I guess you have to be on the lookout for lines that actually carry an international crowd.  We were on Hurtigruten in March.  We were the only "Americans" and there were plenty of people who didn't speak English.

When cruiselines used to assign seating one of the key considerations was languages spoken. I don't know if they still do this because we haven't had an assigned table in probably 7 or 8 years.

19 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think it is great that people can choose their preferred dining arrangements.  Before I (re)married, I found cruising to be the most enjoyable way to travel on my own - and I always requested a large table for dinner as an enjoyable path to interaction.

But I certainly would never, if cruising as a single, want to share a dinner table with a stranger (whether “strange” or not).  

I love the way you worded that:    "a t stranger, whether strange or not"  🙂  LOL 

image.png.3568e861b102f54917bd2a03cc316343.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Well, today there are all sorts of diversions on a cruise ship, we still prefer a two top.

It is so easy to meet and chat with others, if one wishes...   in a lounge, at the pool, in Ldio,,,,,,,,,,, a Neptune Lounge,   One does no have to  d ine with 'strangers' in order to meet and chat with new 'friends.

'.image.png.ebba21c945a855648fa6d126e71f2146.png

• Like 1

I was at seaport festival this weekend, I went to find seating while DH brought our chow.  I politely asked to share a table for 8 with a family of 4 who were using half of it.  They were very nice, visiting from the UK and we gave them some ideas of our favorite places in Cape Ann.  The wife gave me her email and told me to let her know if we are coming to England next year- she'll give me some off the beaten path ideas.  

This is only my second cruise, our first cruise we sat as a family of 4 together.  We opted for fixed dining at a large table.  Ill try it out the first meal and if it is not to my liking, I'll request a change.  

Everyone is different.  

2 minutes ago, POF1234 said:

I was at seaport festival this weekend, I went to find seating while DH brought our chow.  I politely asked to share a table for 8 with a family of 4 who were using half of it.  They were very nice, visiting from the UK and we gave them some ideas of our favorite places in Cape Ann.  The wife gave me her email and told me to let her know if we are coming to England next year- she'll give me some off the beaten path ideas.  

This is only my second cruise, our first cruise we sat as a family of 4 together.  We opted for fixed dining at a large table.  Ill try it out the first meal and if it is not to my liking, I'll request a change.  

Everyone is different.  

Indeed and it is wonderful we have choices, 

Cape Ann is so charming, beautiful.  i've not been to  Gloucester or Rock port in years.image.png.61ea61a45ada75dd9294e2811b334329.png

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

It is so easy to meet and chat with others, if one wishes...   in a lounge, at the pool, in Ldio,,,,,,,,,,, a Neptune Lounge,   One does no have to  d ine with 'strangers' in order to meet and chat with new 'friends.

'.image.png.ebba21c945a855648fa6d126e71f2146.png

I do not see anyone on this thread suggesting that one 'must' or 'must not' dine with strangers. We all have our own preferences and reasons for selecting one or the other. Not everyone spends time around the pool or has access to the Neptune Lounge. I personally spend most of my time ashore and I tend to do things on my own in port, thus limiting chances of meeting other ship mates during the day. I think it is great that nearly all cruise lines offer good options for dining, alone or together, whichever you prefer. NCL is the only line I've felt really does not encourage or lend itself to shared tables, so NCL will not be a choice for me -- but there are plenty of others.

(Personally I do not consider them strangers, but simply people I've not yet had the pleasure of meeting.)

Edited by cruisemom42

1 hour ago, POF1234 said:

Everyone is different.  

I hope you luck out and have interesting/enjoyable table mates. It is certainly worth a try - and a good experience for your children (assuming they are part of your family of 4 you mentioned).

i recall sharing tables at a roadside restaurant near Orono, ME every time I went to drop off, or visit, my daughter at the University of Maine - that was a land experience somewhat similar to shipboard dining rooms.

18 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's also very common in Italy in small, family-owned restaurants where space is at a premium to share tables with others.

So true. Our first night on our first trip to Venice- we went to a small local restaurant away from the main tourist area ( recommended by our hotel Concierge). At 9:00 at night the place was packed; but we were seated with another couple. They were German, on their umpteenth visit, and we had a wonderful meal, spiced with their many tales from their previous visits . We've experienced the same table sharing in many places in Germany.

30 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's also very common in Italy in small, family-owned restaurants where space is at a premium to share tables with others.

I think it's kinda trendy in the US.  They call it "family style" but it's really just sharing a table.