Live from Jewel OTS - 'Hounded' by MDR staff

Hi,

We are currently on the Jewel and would like to ask fellow cruisers a few questions.

Our TA somehow put us for 6pm dining in the MDR, although we rarely ever go down to the MDR these days due to various reasons.

However during one of the breakfast service in the MDR we were approached by the waiter and head waiter and asked why we haven't been to the MDR for dinner. Don't ask me how they recognise us! In all fairness the waiter took very good care of us for breakfast and we decided to go for dinner one night - which was pretty much average and expected. Funnily the waiter asked fro our room number and took it down. We never went to the MDR again.

However, today we had a phone call from the MDR asking if we were going down to dinner. Later that evening we received another phone call asking why we never went down! I felt this is a little too much as we like our freedom on where to dine. We have the dining package and we enjoy a leisurely dinner at the windjammer as well.

Just like to ask you guys if this was ever experienced or if this is the norm. I understand the waiting staff will want to provide the best service and expect the best feedback from customers as part of their service.

Cheers.

I don't like the sound of this, will be on Jewel in 2 weeks time. We enjoy the flexibility of choosing MDR / WJ for dinner, booked MTD.

Maybe they have targets to meet in terms of how many tables they fill? 

Could it be that you have been assigned to a table at one of the sittings. The waiter usually takes your order when the table is full.

OR  maybe he is concerned that he won't be getting his Tips at the end of the cruise.

They may be wanting to move another couple to your table but cannot until you release your assignment. Perhaps next time sign up for My Time Dining so you aren't assigned to a table you will never use. We choose assigned seating to meet other people and it's always very discouraging when our table mates never show.

• Like 4

Could have something to do with tip allocation too.  I don't recall the details, but if someone does not go to the MDR for dinner at all during their cruise, the tip allocation changes.

If you are not intending to use the table I would tell them that so they can let someone else sit there if necessary, just say you prefer other options to the MDR and next time sign up to My time to avoid it happening again. Perhaps they have people wanting to switch to early seating.

Have you by any chance removed your automatic gratuities? That's the only other thing I can think of, that the waiters are worried they will lose out.

Boy things can change from ship to ship. I was on rhapsody. I had bought pre cruise the bogo dinning package. When we boarded, we made sure to stop by the main dinning room to let them know we won't be there the first 2 nights. Well this was never told to our table. We wete trying to be courteous. And this has happened on more than one ship. 

I don't remember if we did MTD or assigned (we switch back and forth) but in the past, I have definitely been called to see why I was not in the MDR on a certain night. It was for various reasons, going to WJ, going to specialty. I assumed it was just that they didn't want someone to be unhappy with the MDR and they were following up. 

May I ask off topic; Is everything else okay on Jewel?

We'll sail on Aug 25th and very much looking forward to it!

We have 2 specialty dinner package  but the rest will be on my time dining. I have booked those other times already for MDR in cruise planner and specialty slot for the first night. I assume the second will be allocated once onboard. 

7 minutes ago, Miryam1234 said:

May I ask off topic; Is everything else okay on Jewel?

We'll sail on Aug 25th and very much looking forward to it!

We have 2 specialty dinner package  but the rest will be on my time dining. I have booked those other times already for MDR in cruise planner and specialty slot for the first night. I assume the second will be allocated once onboard. 

All was fine when we were on her a month ago.  A bit tired in places but still a great ship.  

We had a somewhat similar experience on Jewel. We usually do not eat dessert we informed our waiter, and would leave after the main course (table for two). One night the head waiter followed us as we departed and asked why we did not like the deserts, we explained we are not usually desert people, no fault with the deserts.  A couple of days later we received a call that we are being offered free lunch the next day in Chops because of our disappointment with the deserts in the MDR.  We went to the lunch the next day and it seems that it was lunch for everyone on the ship who complained about something, but that's another story. This is the only time this has happened to us.

Has anyone had the waiter on Jewel that brings you extra dishes without prompting?  The last night of the cruise we had 5 plates of entrees on a table for two at one point!  It was so ridiculous my friend and laughed about it.  The waiter would say things like, "I am going to go back and make you something you will really like."  It turned about to be another main entree.  

51 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Has anyone had the waiter on Jewel that brings you extra dishes without prompting?  The last night of the cruise we had 5 plates of entrees on a table for two at one point!  It was so ridiculous my friend and laughed about it.  The waiter would say things like, "I am going to go back and make you something you will really like."  It turned about to be another main entree.  

He sounds like fun!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, marci22 said:

I just think that they do whatever they have to do to bring the 10s.

My thought too.  Perhaps they simply wanted to make sure the OP  was  not dissatisfied with the staff/service. I consider that  a nice gesture.  However, once the OP explained  that they had the dining package and liked dinner in the WJ, the calls should have stopped. 

M

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:09 AM, marci22 said:

I just think that they do whatever they have to do to bring the 10s.

If this pestering happened to me, they would definitely not get 10s. Do your job properly and you'll get 10s. Pestering the passengers is not part of anyone's job.

On 8/16/2019 at 3:31 AM, aidanlana said:

Hi,

We are currently on the Jewel and would like to ask fellow cruisers a few questions.

Our TA somehow put us for 6pm dining in the MDR, although we rarely ever go down to the MDR these days due to various reasons.

However during one of the breakfast service in the MDR we were approached by the waiter and head waiter and asked why we haven't been to the MDR for dinner. Don't ask me how they recognise us! In all fairness the waiter took very good care of us for breakfast and we decided to go for dinner one night - which was pretty much average and expected. Funnily the waiter asked fro our room number and took it down. We never went to the MDR again.

However, today we had a phone call from the MDR asking if we were going down to dinner. Later that evening we received another phone call asking why we never went down! I felt this is a little too much as we like our freedom on where to dine. We have the dining package and we enjoy a leisurely dinner at the windjammer as well.

Just like to ask you guys if this was ever experienced or if this is the norm. I understand the waiting staff will want to provide the best service and expect the best feedback from customers as part of their service.

Cheers.

Did you stop by the MDR and let them know you wouldn't be eating in the MDR since you had TD at 6:00 PM? That might explain the phone calls. I don't consider that hounding. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

If this pestering happened to me, they would definitely not get 10s. Do your job properly and you'll get 10s. Pestering the passengers is not part of anyone's job.

I don't think they mean to pester anyone. Head waiter might notice someone missing, so he calls. Then maybe a server mentions it to someone else, and they call. It's so busy during dinner hours. I think it's good that they want you to be happy and actually take the time to call!

• Like 1