Meraviglia or Divina or not at all?

Jorg_

We have previously cruised with Celebrity, but is now thinking of going with MSC for our next cruise. Have been looking at some alternatives with both MSC Meraviglia as well as with MSC Divina. Any recommendations to which one is the best ship? Also, if anyone has been on both Celebrity and MSC - are there any big differences? You think we will enjoy MSC? (We did love Celebrity but their prices are very high at the moment, MSC have better deals).

I have sailed the Divina 2 times with a 3rd booked for 12/19.  I absolutely love this ship.  I’ve cruised Celebrity Summit twice and also liked it.  No cruise is a bad cruise to me.  I will be sailing the Meraviglia in Oct to Canada.  Looking forward to a new ship.

We are Elite on Celebrity with cruises with them dating back to 1995. Last December we took a chance on the Seaside, but in the YC. We thought the cruise was great, probably one of the best. Celebrity's Sky Suite Cabins are very similar to Seaside's YC outside cabins in both size and amenities. Based on what I have read here on CC, I would not book anything cabin below a YC on MSC. We got really spoiled on the Seaside YC cabin and all it benefits.

• Like 1

Not an ideal reply ...simply as I have not sailed Celebrity!

Also you did not make clear your experience choice (Bella through to YC)?

But I would certainly recommend MSC as a viable opportunity.

Two different class of ships, though both large and with excellent reviews on here.

Divina....only sailed her sister Fantasia and that was a great trip on a fantastic vessel.

Seaside...have recently (four months ago) completed a long sailing on her sister Seaview which was excellent.

Do not agree the only way to enjoy, benefit from or reach any kind of standard in in YC ...the experience is obviously industry leading (it sells out and virtually first on most sailings!), but you can certainly enjoy MSC away from YC.  

• Like 3

We've been on Divina (both in YC and balcony cabins) and Meraviglia (YC);  we also sailed in an SS1 on Celebrity (never again!).  We've loved our cruises on both MSC ships and would find it difficult to recommend one over the other.

My only advice would be to check out YouTube videos of both and their deck plans to see which would suit most.  There are more speciality restaurants onboard Meraviglia, plus it has the Cirque du Soleil shows (for a charge), but we found the entertainment in the bars/lounges on Divina to be better, with more choices.  The theatre is also bigger on Divina.

We've sailed on several "X" ships and on the Divina 3X, however we have not sailed on the Megavilia. We have our 4th Divina  cruise booked for Feb 2020.  No...they are not identical lines, but then, no two lines really are.  We love the ship, dancing every night in several lounges, very, very good shows, good food, the BEST pizza on the sea, an "adults only" pool, and another pool under an atrium roof which is closed in inclement weather.  We are elite on "X" and on Princess and with their status match, we are "Black" which is their top tier. 

16 minutes ago, Preziosa said:

Go for Divina. It s a fantastic ship layout. Much Better than Meraviglia

I think that Divina was too crowded outside the Yacht Club and I didn't liked the layout.

We still enjoyed our cruise even if far from everything was  perfect.

Our Meraviglia cruise, which was our first cruise on MSC, felt almost perfect but maybe it was because we felt that the value for money was GREAT!

On Divina theee times and have 4th booked for February. Also have

Meraviglia booked for November. MSC is very enjoyable for us, we now go between Carnival and MSC. (We actually never found Divina crowded.) Either ship I suggest would be a great value and great experience. 

We love the Divina , have been on 8x and we have also sailed on the Seaside 3x but we will not sail on the seaside again but have another cruise booked on the Divina. Have not been on the Meraviglia or intend to just by looking at the you tube videos.

Been on both.  Meraviglia is the far better ship.

Divina poorly designed with a single access way from front to back on deck 7, everyone squeezing through the photo area.

Also on Divina YC is not in same area. The dining room is at the aft overlooking the sights of the adult swimming pool. So you may have a mass of bodies on the other side of the glass to your table 😯

That only applies to those in YC, L (though I take your point about the single access on deck 7);  the OP hasn't indicated that they're considering YC.  For those in YC, it really is a sight when, supposedly, enjoying "fine dining".  🙄

Also, access to the Villa Rossa MDR on Divina (if you're assigned to it or if lunch is always served there) can be very confusing, because it is situated aft, behind the Black Crab MDR so can only access it from the farthest aft elevator.  Otherwise, you have to walk all the way aft on deck 7 (squeezing thru' the photo gallery, like you said), which, effectively, is passing overhead of the Black Crab, then down one flight to the Villa Rossa MDR entrance.

Having said all that, I didn't like the Galleria area at night on Meraviglia - it just seemed too crowded.  The fact that the theatre entrance is positioned to open up into the area doesn't help with throngs of people either coming or going from there, right next to the most popular and main lounge.

• Thanks 1

WE are Elite plus on Celib, & Diamond + RCL.SO it made us black on MSC Did 11 nights Divina Had a ball So much so we booked Maraviglia Miami to Copenhagen Aprl 12,20l  .The service was outstanding. Bal. w  Fantasia expe.Aurea The best pizza at sea.Very clean ship 

On 8/22/2019 at 3:09 AM, little britain said:

Been on both.  Meraviglia is the far better ship.

Divina poorly designed with a single access way from front to back on deck 7, everyone squeezing through the photo area.

Also on Divina YC is not in same area. The dining room is at the aft overlooking the sights of the adult swimming pool. So you may have a mass of bodies on the other side of the glass to your table 😯

Yes looking out the window there isn't fun.  Many people suffering from the Dunlop Disease where the belly has dun lopped over the belt. 

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:39 PM, Preziosa said:

Go for Divina. It s a fantastic ship layout. Much Better than Meraviglia

Agreed - I disliked the layout of Meravgilia compared to the Fantasia class as I felt everyone was 'concentrated' along the promenade area and the different venues weren't segmented - they all bled into one, which lead to overcrowding.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:59 PM, sverigecruiser said:

I think that Divina was too crowded outside the Yacht Club and I didn't liked the layout.

I'm looking forward to going back on Preziosa, which has a preferable layout compared to Meraviglia IMO.

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:38 AM, Beamafar said:

That only applies to those in YC, L (though I take your point about the single access on deck 7);  the OP hasn't indicated that they're considering YC.  For those in YC, it really is a sight when, supposedly, enjoying "fine dining".  🙄

Having said all that, I didn't like the Galleria area at night on Meraviglia - it just seemed too crowded.  The fact that the theatre entrance is positioned to open up into the area doesn't help with throngs of people either coming or going from there, right next to the most popular and main lounge.

Agree with this Bea - whilst I'll do my best to ignore the swimmers outside, I think it's daft you need to trek to the back of the ship, going up, down, all around, to get to the YC dining room. But other than that, prefer the 'feel' of ships designed in this way compared to Mera.

We have been on both. We were on Divina last year in the Med on a cruise with Italians, French and people from Spain. The ship is beautiful and very good. But the people that were on the ship were loud and sometimes rude.

We were on the Meraviglia this summer in the Baltic. The people that were on it were from Belgium, Holland and Germany. They were quiet. We loved the ship and the beautiful gallery.

So we loved both ships, but it depends on the itineary and the people that were on it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sailed Divina twice before sailing Reflection and then Silhouette.   Divina felt a bit crowded and Celebrity guests seemed better dressed, but nearly 50% more expensive, so we went back to Divina and had a great ten day southern Carib.  Then tried Seaside which is a huge ship but lots of fun dancing and not a crowded feel, so for the money we have our next three booked on Seaside, Meraviglia and Divina respectively due to the club 5%+15% discounts and the great value "All In + Wifi " drink packages.