Tell me all about your aft balcony experiences!!

danak13

I upgraded our cabin for our Nov/Dec sailing to an aft balcony, deck 9 on the Breakaway a few weeks ago.  I am surprising my SO with the upgrade so I can't talk to him about it but I am so excited to experience it that I need some discussion about it! Tell me your experiences (good and bad)! Is it as awesome as it sounds??? 

My first cruise was a Disney Dream Cruise, we had an aft balcony. 

Pros.... great location and great view. 

Cons... too much soot on the balcony and chairs. For this reason alone, I probably would not choose an aft balcony. 

We had a large mini suite balcony near the front on the NCL Bliss and loved it. 

The first photo attached is the Bliss large forward balcony. 

The other two are the Disney Dream aft balcony cabin.

A5414B99-D851-4A06-A337-12DC2A636E2F.jpeg

18F608C2-555C-4655-A4AC-F1963D378BB2.jpeg

E483C353-014F-4441-B814-169B6D9701B9.jpeg

Edited by Noworkforme23

We have had several aft facing cabins, on each one the view was worth it to us, along with the sound of the wake.  We had an aft facing on the Bliss (deck 9), and the issue of soot was not that much of an issue in MHO.  Enjoy your cabin!

• Like 1

My parents love them, so we got our first one this summer and it was wonderful! Huge balcony, not too windy, great view, and not much foot traffic in the hall. The only thing I do is look to see what is on the decks above and below it to make sure I don't end up right on top of the night club or something.

We are booked in an aft balcony on deck 11 for our Dec cruise on Breakaway, we always book aft facing unless we get a deal on a forward facing suite.  We love the aft and have been in aft facing suites as well as non suite aft facing balconies, only had soot problem once, might have been on the Sun.   You will find it extremely quiet, no corridor traffic.  It's a long walk on the larger ships to get most places but we never mind it, and very easy to find your cabin😁

We found a lot of vibration on the Epic when in the aft balcony but still worth it.

Please come back and let us know how you like it on the Breakaway, hopefully you will enjoy it as much as we have on the other NCL ships.  We have also sailed on the MSC Divina in an aft balcony and it was very nice.

I am mega excited, I am actually cheating on NCL - I got an aft on a P and O cruise next year.  My SO does not know because we have a cruise on NCL Star first.  He can only cope with one cruise at a time. 

So my aft will be in the Norwegian Fjords.  The views should be really special so to have a 180 degree view is something that I am really excited about.  I have never had the opportunity before because I usually book only 6 - 9 months in advance.  

So lets go "eeeeeeeeeeeeek" together.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I am mega excited, I am actually cheating on NCL - I got an aft on a P and O cruise next year.  My SO does not know because we have a cruise on NCL Star first.  He can only cope with one cruise at a time. 

So my aft will be in the Norwegian Fjords.  The views should be really special so to have a 180 degree view is something that I am really excited about.  I have never had the opportunity before because I usually book only 6 - 9 months in advance.  

So lets go "eeeeeeeeeeeeek" together.  

I love that we are both surprising our SOs! I can't wait to see the look on his face 

I loved my Aft cabin on the Escape in June. I would do it every time, except on some sailings the price between an aft and regular balcony is just too high to justify. Secretly hoping aft prices drop on my upcoming Bliss sailing in December so I can upgrade.

We were deck 8 aft on tthe Getaway.  It was enormous.   Our family of 8 did sailaway on it.  Loved it so much, booked the exact same cabin 6 months later.  The only negative is that during the warm months it can be too hot to sit out for long.

We were in an aft Haven Suite on the Getaway. The balcony is bigger than a normal balcony cabin. Two loungers, table and four chairs, patio chairs and side table. We absolutely loved it. We had a little soot a couple mornings but no big deal.

Well I

4 hours ago, danak13 said:

I upgraded our cabin for our Nov/Dec sailing to an aft balcony, deck 9 on the Breakaway a few weeks ago.  I am surprising my SO with the upgrade so I can't talk to him about it but I am so excited to experience it that I need some discussion about it! Tell me your experiences (good and bad)! Is it as awesome as it sounds??? 

Know how you feel. I have 17 days until my first aft. 

Also on the Breakaway. But deck 11.

The only think I can say negative is there is a bit of an unsettled energy due to the engines vibrations. Some times I feel it more that others but I’m sensitive and do notice it. It stays for a day or two or three to adapt for me  and I do feel a bit  jittery from it.  YMMV. Mind you we booked an aft for October so it’s not going to kill me to enjoy the aft, jitters and all . 😆

Edited by MizDemeanor

2 hours ago, danak13 said:

OMG! That is breathtaking! 

That was from our H6 Aft Penthouse on the Getaway on the way back to NYC from Bermuda. As others have said, the aft suites on the Breakaway class ships are enormous and the views are gorgeous. Imagine being in one of these in Alaska? (it's on my bucket list)

After two cruises in an aft cabin (on the Sun and the Gem), it's very hard for us to book anything else.  So much so, that we haven't!  😎

Our next two cruises are also in aft cabins.  You simply can't beat the 180 degree views and that mesmerizing wake.

Loved our aft balcony on Escape room 12910.  Had doors open some nights to listen to the water/wake.  Not too loud. Husband napped most days with balcony door open to hear it.   Had some vibrations most of the time, but nothing too major.  Would definitely do it again!!!  Soot was nonexistent for us.  Had two reclining chairs, a small table, and two regular sitting chairs.  Enjoy the aft!!!!

308C4FBB-EC57-4701-8A44-CF0B867A53A7.jpeg

AD11C9E6-40B1-4BB5-B850-100DA780AB1D.jpeg

Aft facing balcony on a 15 day Panama Canal cruise, FABULOUS! The best part was not "having" to fight the crowds up on deck to see the locks. Can't imagine doing that particular trip any other way.

You will love it, enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 1