Choosing a Southern itinerary....

Hidden Minnie

We have been thinking about trying a Southern Caribbean sailing for some time now. I'm looking at sailings on the Summit for next year, and would love input for folks who have experienced these routes.  We'd be doing Aqua class, which we have done on the Solstice and loved. A bit on us - we are active empty-nesters in our mid- to late-50s.  Would like one really good beach day, but also interested in helicopter tours, food tours, etc. Not so much on museums,  but like a bit of history, and we don't snorkel or drink much. I'm a fan of sea days but my husband not so much. Would love to hear your thoughts on excursions, scenery, etc.

Possible itineraries are:

San Juan > at sea > Barbados > St. Lucia > Antigua > St. Kitts > St. Thomas > San Juan

San Juan > Tortola > St Maarten > Domenica > Barbados > Grenada > at sea > San Juan

San Juan > St. Kitts > at sea > Aruba > Curacao > Bonaire > at sea > San Juan

Thanks!!

I'll know more when I return from the 11 day Southern Caribbean the Bride and I leave on Sept 23 from Port Everglades. 6 ports, and I think she has 5 excursions booked...I do know it is NOT the ABC island route.  To this point, I haven't been any further south than St. Thomas...

Sounds like we are about the same age...although we may partake in adult beverages a bit more.  🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG

Just now, TeeRick said:

The first two that you mention are more Eastern Caribbean.  The last one with the ABC islands is more of the classic Southern itinerary.  

True - Celebrity calls everything sailing out of San Juan a "Southern". In any case, the only ports out of all of those we've done are St. Thomas and St. Maarten, so we'd be open to any of these routes....

12 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I'll know more when I return from the 11 day Southern Caribbean the Bride and I leave on Sept 23 from Port Everglades. 6 ports, and I think she has 5 excursions booked...I do know it is NOT the ABC island route.  To this point, I haven't been any further south than St. Thomas...

Sounds like we are about the same age...although we may partake in adult beverages a bit more.  🙂

Great!  Looking forward to hearing about your trip!  Yeah, we are lightweights, to be sure. One, maybe two fruity drinks for me and a couple of Weisse beers for my husband and we are set.

Having done numerous "Southern Caribbean" cruises, and having visited all of these islands on multiple occasions, I can tell you that I'd love to do any of these itineraries. In terms of preference, I'd probably pick in the same order that you have them listed. While we enjoy the ABC's, and have spent weeks on Bonaire on dive holidays, you will experience far more variety and many more options for your days ashore with the first two choices. In your shoes, I'd simply pick whichever of the first two offers the better price and cabin selection. 

I would agree that if you aren't particularly into snorkeling or scuba, the first 2 cruises offer ports with a greater variety of things to see and do. Personally, I'd pick the 2nd one, only because I haven't been to Tortola, Dominica or Grenada yet. All the other ports are frequent stops that you see on many itineraries across the lines.

My favorite itinerary is the third one. Even though we don't snorkel or scuba, we love love the ABC Islands. 
Our favorite tours - Captain Club's Tour of Aruba - air conditioned bus, driver took us to various natural wonders of Aruba and a one hour stop at Eagle Beach. 
Curacao Highlights - our fun guide took us to look at various natural attractions, the Chobo Lobo, where they make Curacao. And a two hour stay at Mambo Beach. She talked about history, culture, taught us some Papiemento vocabulary.

Bonaire - we booked the open air Jeep excursion. We toured the 'outback' and had an hour and a half at a gorgeous 'rustic' beach. hint - no man made improvements other than a shack that sells beer and soda. The tour guide was knowledgeable about the ecosystem, government, history, wildlife of Bonaire. We had fun. No need to book a ship excursion in  Bonaire, there. The very polite tour guides line up on the main road in the cruise terminal, maps in had, you pay @ $20 pp (tips appreciated) for 3 hours and the guide will leave when her car is full. 

Your #2 itinerary would be my second choice. St. Maarten is a nice stop. Barbados is beautiful. Dominica is one of our more memorable ports. We booked a rain forest tour with a soak in the sulfur springs - but they may no longer be accessible due to the horrible hurricane season a few years back. In Grenada, we shopped for spice gifts for our family members.

We've been to most of the ports on your first itinerary on 7 day Eastern Caribbean itineraries. 

Edited by Marelaine

Minnie.........since you enjoyed Solstice why not look at Reflection for next year, it does similar itinerary to what you mention.  Reflection doesn’t get revolutionised until 2023 so you will retain the deck space before it’s degraded. You also mention Aqua class, have you considered a standard balcony cabin and purchase a 11 night specialty dining package ($353), it can be cheaper and so much better the Blu.

We are in the same demographic and are in the middle of trying to decide between the 3 itineraries you listed on the Summit as well.

Right now we are leaning towards the 2nd one as we have not been to Dominica or Grenada, but we have been to the ABC Islands and LOVED them so it is a narrow margin towards the 2nd itinerary.  We can compromise on missing the amazing snorkeling off of Klein Bonaire by getting some snorkeling in from The Boatyard in Barbados, and my DW has always wanted to see Grenada since she was in the Army when the incidents took place there and just missed being deployed there when she was a nurse at Ft. Bragg.

20 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

We can compromise on missing the amazing snorkeling off of Klein Bonaire by getting some snorkeling in from The Boatyard in Barbados

If you do choose this itinerary, take the opportunity to snorkel at Champagne Reef in Dominica. While the corral and overall sealife are nothing to write home about, the unique nature of the reef makes it worth a visit. We snorkelled there as part of an excellent excursion with Nature Isle Explorers.

• Like 1

I would choose the 2nd itinerary because there are not as many cruises going to Tortola, Grenada and Dominica.  In Tortola, you can easily go to Virgin Gorda or Jost Van Dyke.  In Dominica, Champagne Reef is a favorite of ours.  We have a b2b2b coming up with the first and second ones along with a repeat of the first only because it was such a great deal.  If you have the time, a b2b would help solve the problem of making a choice. 😉  No matter what you choose, you can't go wrong. 

While all 3 itineraries are attractive we love the ABC islands.  The dutch influence is so picturesque.  Curacao is our favorite, there's so much to see all within walking distance of ship.  In Bonaire dw loves to rent a golf cart and do self-guided tour of the island at her own pace.  The downside of this itinerary for some is one less port / one more sea day.

In the past I have been on the southern route a total of 5 times. I have been to the majority of the islands you have listed in the 3 choices.

In February 2020, I am booked on the first itinerary (San Juan > at sea > Barbados > St. Lucia > Antigua > St. Kitts > St. Thomas > San Juan) but in reverse order.

I chose this one mainly because of St. Lucia and Barbados.

I plan to book Cosol's island tour for St. Lucia (have been on it twice already and thoroughly enjoyed it) and go to the Boatyard in Barbados for a day at the beach. In St. Thomas we will walk to the Havensight Mall which is across the street from the port. No plans for St. Kitts or Antigua. 

D.

All 3 are great choices. You should check out the excursions for each stop. Check out each stop here on cruise critic to see what others are doing. Also, we've done 1 & 2 and honeymooned in Aruba. We'd do # 2 again and we'd like to get to #3, just our 2 cents.

Should you go to Tortola go to Jost Van Dyke is a great beach island day (extremely quiet, not much to do but unwind). 

Make sure you get to San Juan a day or two early if you can. Another great city.

Edited by Qwksilver
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Hidden Minnie said:

We have been thinking about trying a Southern Caribbean sailing for some time now. I'm looking at sailings on the Summit for next year, and would love input for folks who have experienced these routes.  We'd be doing Aqua class, which we have done on the Solstice and loved. A bit on us - we are active empty-nesters in our mid- to late-50s.  Would like one really good beach day, but also interested in helicopter tours, food tours, etc. Not so much on museums,  but like a bit of history, and we don't snorkel or drink much. I'm a fan of sea days but my husband not so much. Would love to hear your thoughts on excursions, scenery, etc.

San Juan > at sea > Barbados > St. Lucia > Antigua > St. Kitts > St. Thomas > San Juan

San Juan > Tortola > St Maarten > Domenica > Barbados > Grenada > at sea > San Juan

Thanks!!

We've been to all the ports and like them all. Do all three itineraries as a B2B2B cruise. Problem solved. What we like about leaving out of San Juan is the itineraries are more port intensive.  

Loved our November 2019 (Silhouette) ABC Islands cruise, and had a really GREAT 6 hour driving tour of the island of Curacao....so diverse and beautiful!  The Dutch influence on these islands is incredible!  We felt very safe on all 3.  This one left Port Everglades, and also stopped in Grand Cayman. It was 9 nights, and did have 4 sea days. My wife "doesn't like sea days", but found enough to do and in the end, it wasn't a big deal.

First of all.....

If you have the time do a b2b on the Summit. It's the best of both worlds.

We have done the Southern route on and off (almost annually) since 1990 and never tire of the islands. Each visit is unique. It has taken us six stops in Barbados to see the majority of the island but even then there is more to see and do. We feel that way about the diversity of the ecosystems throughout the Caribbean.

Just as an FYI to Gilgorm and others.....

Celebrity now ports at Crown Bay on St. Thomas not Havensight. I wish they'd return but for now it's Crown Bay. It's not walkable to Charlotte Amalie due to traffic and the fun shopping especially the deli doesn't exist at Crown Bay. It is also farther to the St. John ferry. If you have been to St. Thomas before you know how horrid the afternoon traffic can be and since Crown Bay is near the airport with many flights back to the US in the afternoon it can be a real mess.

Which ever you choose have a wonderful cruise.

17 hours ago, Hidden Minnie said:

Thanks!!

I love the ABC islands and would go there again in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't do any of these itineraries.   It's a lot more difficult and expensive flying to San Juan.  For me I would take the 9-day out of Florida to the ABC islands.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I love the ABC islands and would go there again in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't do any of these itineraries.   It's a lot more difficult and expensive flying to San Juan.  For me I would take the 9-day out of Florida to the ABC islands.

Ditto..

When I booked my direct return  flights to San Juan from Toronto I ended up paying only 10 dollars more than what I paid 5 years ago. My travel agent commented on how good the price was. She too told me that a lot of people change their mind from leaving on a cruise from San Juan due to the airfare cost.

Yes my airfare is more than if I left out of Florida but the upside to me is more ports and less sea days. 

My favourites are still St. Maarten, St. Lucia and Barbados.

D. 

17 hours ago, Fouremco said:

If you do choose this itinerary, take the opportunity to snorkel at Champagne Reef in Dominica. While the corral and overall sealife are nothing to write home about, the unique nature of the reef makes it worth a visit. We snorkelled there as part of an excellent excursion with Nature Isle Explorers.

Thank you for the recommendation!

We made up our minds last night and did book this itinerary for 1/16/2.

I agree with all the comments praising the AMC Islands.  We had a great time there when we went in 2017.  Hard to pick a favorite of the 3.  Had a great drift snorkel trip on the S/V Woodwind from Bonaire, walked around Willamstad and did a wonderful sunset cruise in Curacao and loved the scenery and shopping on Aruba.

As to the airfare to San Juan, it is unquestionably more expensive than flying to a Florida port, but we intend to spend a few days on either end of the cruise in Puerto Rico, as we have only visited on port stops from cruises in the past.  I work with someone who was born and raised in Puerto Rico and they have given me a ton of suggestions for places to go, things to see and do and some connections with friends and relatives to maximize our time there, and since I went to school in South Florida and have visited there untold times, something different is worth the cost for us.

Edited by K&RCurt