I know I'm being selfish - Freeport question

Susan in Maine

Yes, hopefully the ship(s) will continue to assist in humanitarian efforts as well as providing a passenger cruise. I can't imagine people being overly upset by that sort of cruise.  I'm probably wrong in that hope, but that story on the Celebrity Equinox and its passengers gave me some faith that most people have good hearts.  

• Like 2

I can see being curious for sure; that said, I wonder if many of the lines may be making quick changes to itineraries as the scope of the disaster in the Bahamas becomes more apparent every day.  I really applaud the lines' efforts to bring in food/equipment etc in. And I applaud all the passengers who are reacting in such generous fashion to those changes of plans.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

We were in St. Thomas last year. The port area was nice with no evident signs that anything happened, but we took a van to Sapphire Beach (about a half hour drive) and there was still heavily damaged houses/buildings and rebuilding along the entire route. That was nine months after hurricane Maria.

Well said. One of the big uses of this forum is for people who like to plan. I'm a big vacation planner/researcher myself. If everyone followed the mantra, "Keep it to yourself, go with the flow, and simply have fun," this forum would be a ghost town. Amazingly enough, it is possible for many people to plan ahead and still have fun.

If it came to be that my cruise was going to be used to provide humanitarian aid to one of these islands, don't force me to stay on the ship. I'd rather help. I can operate a pallet jack, I can carry boxes...shoot, I'll stand there and hand people bottles of water and canned goods if need be. I paid to get off the ship at a port of call, so let me choose to do something good with it.

Bravo O.C.!! Well put! My sentiments exactly. If more people had that attitude, this country and indeed, the entire world's population, this planet would be a better place. 👍

• Like 3

On 9/6/2019 at 11:00 PM, Susan in Maine said:

We are scheduled on the Liberty 4 day on September 23rd. The current itinerary is sea day, Nassau, Freeport. 

I'm expecting that Freeport won't be repaired by then.

What do you think the new itinerary will be?

When we last went to freeport on a cruise, they were 5 years out from the previous hurricane (I think a cat 3) and they were still not finished rebuilding.

i would think key west is now a possibility.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

I booked this cruise knowing full well that it was hurricane season and I could be going anywhere. There are some people who are completely comfortable with "going with the flow".  However, I am a planner and am far more comfortable having a good idea of what is happening ahead of time. For me - and for others - a big part of enjoying the cruise is the planning!

There are other considerations here for me - I will be traveling with my daughter who is intellectually disabled. I also have a broken foot and have to use a knee roller. These issues can make for a stressful situation and the more information I have the better I can control that stress. This cruise is somewhat challenging for us and there will be no other adults to assist us.

Susan...do yourself a favor and rent a scooter...the knee roller is not going to make it on the ship...its too big and difficult (recently on board with a ruptured Achilles and a large boot). Make sure you call and ask for a shower chair and request a dining table in the front of the dining room...you don’t want to be limping thru all those tables (because your scooter will have to stay outside)

21 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

E

OP,  you may go to Half Moon Cay, Princess Cays or as someone else mentioned, Key West.

John Heald
8 hrs ·

Carnival returns to Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Princess Cays with 41 calls for the rest of September and the Bahamian people equally await our guests. This week Carnival Pride and Carnival Liberty will also make relief stops to Freeport. Thanks to all who have joined us to support our friends in the Bahamas with donations. Our work there is not done. And as our ships and our guests return to Bahamian ports of call, our visits will make sure that the economy moves forward and jobs will be supported. https://*****/2m6s5dP

Edited by CoolOne56
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CoolOne56 said:
OP,  you may go to Half Moon Cay, Princess Cays or as someone else mentioned, Key West.

John Heald
8 hrs ·

Carnival returns to Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Princess Cays with 41 calls for the rest of September and the Bahamian people equally await our guests. This week Carnival Pride and Carnival Liberty will also make relief stops to Freeport. Thanks to all who have joined us to support our friends in the Bahamas with donations. Our work there is not done. And as our ships and our guests return to Bahamian ports of call, our visits will make sure that the economy moves forward and jobs will be supported. https://*****/2m6s5dP

Thanks so much for this update!

Not selfish at all. I am wondering the same thing. We are scheduled to go there in November. I wouldn't mind at all if we stopped for humanitarian efforts. Seems insignificant but I would even be willing to bring a suitcase of things. If everyone on the ship did that, it would be a help! One of the top ways to increase your happiness is to help others!!

• Like 3

This is in-part, from CC News.

All affected cruise ports and cruise line private islands have reopened, with the exception of Freeport, which sustained serious damage and is currently open only to ships bringing in humanitarian aid. While the harbor and docking areas were relatively spared, operations are being hampered by a lack of electricity, running water and necessary operational staff on the island. It is not known when the port will reopen to cruise passengers.  

Nassau, another popular Bahamas cruise port, was spared the devastation that occurred on Grand Bahama Island and remains open.

• Like 1