Worried about drop in Food Quality and service

phillipahain

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

We all can but you have to take into account price of fare paid to day comparing to recent years. Our first cruise on QE2 in 1997 was excellent and many things have since disappeared or been dumbed down since then but we paid over £100pp for the cheapest inside cabin on QE2 and taking into account 20yrs of inflation in both food and fuel shudder to think what the price would be now for the same standards. You cannot expect same standards of yesteryear at today's prices unfortunately something has to give.

Agreed -  the point is, however, that you will only get what you are willing to pay for.  So when you consider the cost of alternative dining (to get what you used to get) the prices really have not been held down. 

At least with Cunard the basic experience retains substantial value, while some lines, which used to be attractive alternatives (HAL and Celebrity, for example), no longer seriously compete. 

On 9/7/2019 at 5:32 PM, NavyPanda said:

I often read complaints about the quality of the food on board before I sail and I start to get worried that maybe standards have deteriorated since I was last on board , however, when I'm actually on board, I've never found anything to complain about and have always enjoyed everything served. In fact, on my recent QV cruise in June 2019, I thought that the food was the best I've had yet on Cunard....

Agree entirely, we were onboard QV for 14 nights in July and the quality of food was excellent overall....including Lido, which we used for breakfast and lunch.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Agreed -  the point is, however, that you will only get what you are willing to pay for.  So when you consider the cost of alternative dining (to get what you used to get) the prices really have not been held down. 

At least with Cunard the basic experience retains substantial value, while some lines, which used to be attractive alternatives (HAL and Celebrity, for example), no longer seriously compete. 

I think many are happy with the current offering and if asked if they would pay considerably more and get a cruise like you did in late 90s .i.e. midnight buffet as an example amongst other things or stay with current offering I am sure they would stay as it is now.

£100pppn in the cheapest inside cabin on QE2 in 1997 with inflation in 2018 is equivalent to £180 and I do not think many would pay £2500 per person for cheapest inside cabin for a 14nt cruise on current Cunard ships so like I said before something has to give.

I have noticed this having been on the QM2  a number of times in the last few years. I have noticed they have less entertainment staff. David does the deck games on his own. When we first went onboard they had in 2015/16 they had David and Tom doing the deck games or Tom and Karen they always had 2. They have cut the dinner menu from 5 courses to 3 courses and appear to have a few less people in the resturant now. Then again they are also employing brit bartenders and bar waiters who are getting paid at least english minimum wage whilst other staff members are paid much less for the same job. It is a breach of contract for cunard employee to reveal what they are paid but they are not on the same wages I promises you that.

24 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I have noticed this having been on the QM2  a number of times in the last few years. I have noticed they have less entertainment staff. David does the deck games on his own. When we first went onboard they had in 2015/16 they had David and Tom doing the deck games or Tom and Karen they always had 2. They have cut the dinner menu from 5 courses to 3 courses and appear to have a few less people in the resturant now. Then again they are also employing brit bartenders and bar waiters who are getting paid at least english minimum wage whilst other staff members are paid much less for the same job. It is a breach of contract for cunard employee to reveal what they are paid but they are not on the same wages I promises you that.

They havent cut the menu to 3 courses it is still as advertised on the website and you can have an appetiser and a soup then main course and dessert and then you have coffee or tea and I have never been refused if I have asked for cheese and biscuits.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, majortom10 said:

£100pppn in the cheapest inside cabin on QE2 in 1997 with inflation in 2018 is equivalent to £180 and I do not think many would pay £2500 per person for cheapest inside cabin for a 14nt cruise on current Cunard ships so like I said before something has to give.

Nonetheless there has been a marked increase in cabin pricing. in the 5 years we've been travelling with Cunard I've seen the best priceI can get our balcony cabin on a crossing rise by around £300. On our second crossing our table mates had an inside cabin that had cost them £600 each (very last minute) which looking at this years prices for insides suggests there has been a 50% rise in price over 4 years (though I guess a bigger discount may be available at another given moments search). Drinks pricing has gone up significantly in that time too, I know the exchange rate hasn't helped in the last couple of years but the changes to measure & mixers is a noticeable extra cost. That said I still enjoy sailing with Cunard and hope it will remain enjoyable and affordable to do so for many years to come (and definitely until the share price picks up!) I see some of it as swings and roundabouts I miss the hot canapes and dislike olives so little changes like impact my enjoyment somewhat - I'm quite happy with crisps though so as long as they remain on offer all is well. Being fortunate enough to have sailed each year since the first trip I have become familiar with some offerings & know which my favourites are but that does mean I am less excited about trying all the different things.  I don't have wide ranging experience of other lines but reading other boards everyone seems to say the same things about "it was better in the past"

Edited by wenlyn

5 hours ago, majortom10 said:

They havent cut the menu to 3 courses it is still as advertised on the website and you can have an appetiser and a soup then main course and dessert and then you have coffee or tea and I have never been refused if I have asked for cheese and biscuits.

Which i have been doing but it still used to be on the menu as 4 or 5 course.

4 hours ago, wenlyn said:

Nonetheless there has been a marked increase in cabin pricing. in the 5 years we've been travelling with Cunard I've seen the best priceI can get our balcony cabin on a crossing rise by around £300. On our second crossing our table mates had an inside cabin that had cost them £600 each (very last minute) which looking at this years prices for insides suggests there has been a 50% rise in price over 4 years (though I guess a bigger discount may be available at another given moments search). Drinks pricing has gone up significantly in that time too, I know the exchange rate hasn't helped in the last couple of years but the changes to measure & mixers is a noticeable extra cost. That said I still enjoy sailing with Cunard and hope it will remain enjoyable and affordable to do so for many years to come (and definitely until the share price picks up!) I see some of it as swings and roundabouts I miss the hot canapes and dislike olives so little changes like impact my enjoyment somewhat - I'm quite happy with crisps though so as long as they remain on offer all is well. Being fortunate enough to have sailed each year since the first trip I have become familiar with some offerings & know which my favourites are but that does mean I am less excited about trying all the different things.  I don't have wide ranging experience of other lines but reading other boards everyone seems to say the same things about "it was better in the past"

Nobody can deny what you say but like I said I dont see many 14nt cruises on any Cunard ship starting at £2500 for lowest grade inside cabin.

56 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

It probably does encourage ordering three courses rather than four or five. I'd imagine food waste would go down in concert.

I agree and in that respect it's a good thing.  But it also creates a perception that less is offered, or that they don't want you to order each course, and perception is a very strong thing ... often times stronger than reality!  

I have never had a problem with the food offered in Queens Grill on the QM2.   I can see the menu ahead of time and if I want something not on the menu I have not been refused.   I have yet to ask for a food item they have not been able to supply.  They need advance notice, usually around breakfast and I let them know when I will be dining.   I am very surprised by the meat and potatoes comment about the Grill.   We almost always have fish or shellfish for lunch and dinner.   There have been changes since the mid sixties on Cunard but the food in the Grill is still excellent.

On 9/10/2019 at 3:35 AM, majortom10 said:

I agree, I do not understand the continuing perpetuation that the menu has been reduced to three courses.

In fact, I think the menu most nights actually supports more than five courses.  One could easily have a cold appetizer, hot appetizer, soup, salad, entree, dessert and a cheese course.

The change in menu headings has not done anything to limit the offerings, only imagination.

• Like 3

However in my experience, because of the layout of the menu the vast majority of passengers order 3 courses. And new passengers to Cunard I feel would assume the offer is 3 courses. In saying all of that, I do feel 3 courses is ample. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cpc3639 said:

However in my experience, because of the layout of the menu the vast majority of passengers order 3 courses. And new passengers to Cunard I feel would assume the offer is 3 courses. In saying all of that, I do feel 3 courses is ample. 

I'm rather certain this was the intent.  While perhaps not blatant cost cutting, a rather underhanded way of achieving some cost savings.  

4 hours ago, eroller said:

I'm rather certain this was the intent.  While perhaps not blatant cost cutting, a rather underhanded way of achieving some cost savings.  

Or reducing waste, or even safeguarding their passengers’ health. Currently on QV.   Last night we had amuse bouches, rolls, three courses with good sized helpings, coffee, and rather dull chocs. How could anyone manage more?

• Like 3

If there's a difference between "sly" and "underhanded" I'd go with sly.

I'm OK with subtle help avoiding overeating. I don't need a salad + a soup (+a starter) to feel comfortably full at dinner. If you need to feel like your getting your money's worth, have a ball. Order one of each across the menu.

We were on QM2 last year for 4th July, the reception on board for the trip up to St Johns etc for the 4th July cruise was quite frankly appalling. we had sailed on her before so had an incling of the direction to follow to get to our cabin but those who had not sailed before were not greeted by anyone, there was no one at the lifts or on embarkation.We were then transatlantic following this trip, what a transformation, it was like a different ship, better service, better food, greeted when arriving on board.

Sailing again transatlantic in December, fingers crossed.

Since we've been cruising with Cunard for over 25 years, we've seen the categories on the menu dwindle. 
I must say I don't mind the current arrangement of having all the starters grouped, salad, appetizer, soup..  When the three were separated, we most often would select two of the three items - some nights skipping soup, salad on others... And when they've been combined, we still order the same - pretty much always ordering two items (sometimes using the always available shrimp cocktail or caesar options). 
And unless we have a specific preference (which I don't think we ever have) as to the order of the items, especially when one is cold and one is hot, we tell the waiters that they can be brought in the order that works best.

So it's surprising to me that people are taking the format to infer that they should select one item from the category. I understand why, but it simply didn't occur to me.

Edited by MarkBearSF

We very recently were on Queen Elizabeth. For the most part, we enjoyed the food and drinks.

We had zero problems ordering what we wanted from the menu in the main dining room on Cunard.

Our wait staff were great to bring multiple appetizers on the nights where we wanted more than one- no problem.

We honestly had a lovely dining experience in Britannia... some items were better than others, of course, but that is to be expected on any trip

The only one time where a soup was absolutely not to my taste, it was quickly replaced with an appetizer I did enjoy very much.

The Lido buffet was honestly not great, although fast and convenient for breakfast some days. We have experienced better laid out and better tasting buffets on other lines- and that surprised us. That was the one “restaurant” area that disappointed us.

I loved Cafe Carinthia for purchased coffees, the beautiful Midships Lounge gin and fizz menu, and the Commodore Club for lovely crafted drinks, music, plus the gorgeous view.

We also had some nice fun drinks from the deck menu during sailaways.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2019 at 3:35 PM, phillipahain said:

We have always enjoyed Cunard and were on QM earlier in 2019 ...40 days start of World Cruise  this year with little cause to grumbled

However relatives have just on 7th Sept got off Baltic QE and having been on QV 2 years ago they were very disapointed indeed by the drop in quality of food generally especially meat and desert dishes in the dining room  and sadly service too.plus apparently both sides of the buffet were  closed at same time and when one of them was particularily seasick on afternoon of  6th with rough seas the only bread roll the buffet mid section could conjour up was rock hard .

Has Carnival cost cutting reached such depths ?   Because we had planned /reserved the 2022 World Cruise but maybe we need to rethink 

Have you already been able to book a 2022 world cruise on QM2? I have tried but saw nothing so far. I would like to book a 34 day segment from Southampton to Singapore departing on January 10, 2022. Do you know when it becomes available to book? I am a Cunard past passenger. Should I be able to book before it goes on general public sale? Thanks. 

5 hours ago, SSCAF001 said:

Have you already been able to book a 2022 world cruise on QM2? I have tried but saw nothing so far. I would like to book a 34 day segment from Southampton to Singapore departing on January 10, 2022. Do you know when it becomes available to book? I am a Cunard past passenger. Should I be able to book before it goes on general public sale? Thanks. 

The 2022 world voyages will probably be announced and go on sale sometime next March. It is too soon to know for sure whether there will be a segment from Southampton to Singapore in 2022. Here are the dates I have when the world voyages were officially announced by Cunard and when they went on sale the past few years.

2021 World Voyages

Announced March 4, 2019

On sale for Cunard World Club members March 12, 2019

On sale to general public March 13, 2019

2020 World Voyages

Announced March 2, 2018

On sale for Cunard World Club members March 19, 2018

On sale to general public March 20, 2018

2019 World Voyages

Announced March 13, 2017

On sale for Cunard World Club members March 28, 2017

On sale to general public March 29, 2017

Aboard QM2 last weeks crossing we found the Britannia Menu's lacking choices and Kings Court choices enhanced .

The pastry chef offered  some outstanding deserts at both locations.

Food opinions should always be taken lightly but for us it was breakfast and lunch at Kings Court and Dinner in Britannia 

most days .