Club level change during cruise

Kremena70

We have a long cruise - 15 nights and we are 10 points away from club membership in Elite. I know the points are awarded at the end of the cruise, but it seems a little unfair to such passengers and Celebrity should have provided some compensation. I wrote to them, but I didn't like the answer - they understood, regretted and apologized.
What is your experience - is there anyone who has managed to get something other than regret?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Kremena70 said:

We have a long cruise - 15 nights and we are 10 points away from club membership in Elite. I know the points are awarded at the end of the cruise, but it seems a little unfair to such passengers and Celebrity should have provided some compensation. I wrote to them, but I didn't like the answer - they understood, regretted and apologized.
What is your experience - is there anyone who has managed to get something other than regret?

Welcome to Cruise Critic. That question has been asked many times on Cruise Critic. I saw the question 15 years ago. No one has ever reported getting an answer other than regret. They have stood by their rule that points are not awarded until the sailing is completed. 

• Like 1

If you think about, practically EVERYONE acquires  the necessary points during a cruise.  Somebody might be ten points shy of the next level, somebody might be 11 points shy, etc etc.   But all are elevated to the next level after the cruise.

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Kremena70 said:

I know the points are awarded at the end of the cruise, but it seems a little unfair to such passengers and Celebrity should have provided some compensation

Compensation??? Seriously? You have entitlement issues, I think.

You know the rules. Celebrity abides by them. And everyone else is in the same boat. Just how many people do you think actually reach the required points for a jump to next level exactly on the last day of a cruise? Answer: darned few.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We were also aboard a cruise when we went over the mark for the next level. I can confrim they do not upgrade your status until completion of your cruise.    If on a B2B you can contact the CC Host and they can confirm and get you upgraded for the next cruise.    After the cruise it will take 7-14 days for your status to be updated. 

13 hours ago, Kremena70 said:

Most of us have experienced close, but not close enough. Book another cruise. Now you've got something new to look forward to on your next cruise. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We were also aboard a cruise when we went over the mark for the next level. I can confrim they do not upgrade your status until completion of your cruise.    If on a B2B you can contact the CC Host and they can confirm and get you upgraded for the next cruise.    After the cruise it will take 7-14 days for your status to be updated. 

Thanks a good idea to remember.

15 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Agree. 

We had a 14 day cruise booked and we needed a few points to move to Elite.  I wanted to be Elite on that cruise.   We booked a short cruise prior as side by side because we wanted to be able to get into that Green Door that was at the time Michael’s Club that was closed in the morning for the Elite Breakfast and evening HH.   

Before the cruises they started to offer the 4 perks.   Both of our cruises qualified and we were able to get  2 perks on each cruise.     We were Elite  on the 14 day cruise.   Did it change our life or anything.   Not really.   We enjoyed that short cruise but with the drink pack being Elite really didn’t amount to much as we were sailing in AQ and had breakfast there everyday.   If you don’t  have a drink pack there are some advantages but really not worth the extra cost of going on a short cruise unless you want more cruising time

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

OP, this is one of the few rules for which I've seen no exceptions made. We've all been in your situation, on the verge of moving to the next Captains Club level. You'll just have to accept the unwanted "NO" you've been given or book a short cruise before your long one to earn the necessary points before your longer sailing. Those are the only choices.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, davekathy said:

Most of us have experienced close, but not close enough. Book another cruise. Now you've got something new to look forward to on your next cruise. 

This is exactly what we did.

We were 2 points off Elite status before a14 night Caribbean cruise.

I felt as you are feeling, so decided to book a 2 night repositioning cruise, Amsterdam to Southampton. Repositioning / short cruises are very rare from UK, but this one was a late addition due to an altered itinerary. Constellation had been taken away from Israel and moved to Amsterdam. Then in the Autumn, she was doing some wine cruises down to the Bordeaux region of France. We had never been to Amsterdam, so it was a good opportunity.

We had some friends who did the same cruise, for the same reasons, but they were more points away from Elite than we were. They booked a concierge cabin, we booked inside. Minimum spend/ Maximum gain.

If you don’t  have a drink pack there are some advantages but really not worth thextra cost of going on a short cruise unless you want more cruising time

The reason I wanted to become Elite was for the priority tendering. We had spent 3 hours trying to get off Eclipse in Split in 2010 and I never wanted to experience that long wait again.

I also find the bag of free laundry very, very useful on a longer cruise, which all ours are. As mentioned previously, there are not many shorter ones from Southampton and if we fly to embark then we want to make the most of the effort of flying.

Edited by upwarduk

We cruised around Australia and one guy made it known on CC that he was short 5 days for Elite status and was going to ask the Captains Club hostess on board to adjust his points --It never happened she flatly denied him.

As Elite + we  have  done 23 cruises with Celebrity  some 35 days in length so to us 15 days is a normal break and doesn't merit any preferential treatment.

You may think about your first post being one of complaint regarding this as we have all earned our club levels by cruising the required days

• Like 1

Thank you all for your comments!
I already felt "welcome", though slightly criticized for my first post. 😉
By no means take my question as a complaint - I enjoy every trip with Celebrity. I'm not even so intrigued by the benefits of the new level - just a nice different feeling of being in a new community.:classic_smile:

This has happened to everyone of us (including us) that have reached Elite Club status.  

Simply put: Points are earned and awarded at the end of a cruise and not earned nightly.  The points you earn at the end of the cruise are indeed calculated by the number of nights you sail....but only earned at the end of the cruise. 

Your belief that points are earned nightly is the problem....they are not. 

So you will be elite level on your next sailing.

I can’t figure out why the OP would think that there should be any sort of compensation. Compensation for what?  

It’s a free program.  You don’t pay to join.  

You weren’t cheated out of anything.

No one was injured, no one was hurt, no one missed out on something they were supposed to receive.  

The rules of the program were clear and the OP said that they understood the rules.  

So compensation for what?????

what am I missing?

• Like 1