Why Abandon a Cruise Line Based on One Ship?

#1TravelMom

I've read so many reviews and comments where someone will swear never to sail on a specific cruise line again based on one experience.  We have been cruising since 1987 on all major cruise lines.  Over 65 cruises on 45+/- ships.  There are ships on each line that we just love and others that will probably wouldn't choose again.  I think this can be confusing for new cruisers reading comments.  We have had some not-so-great experiences over the years, but don't write off the entire line.  We had a bad Carnival experience and skipped them for several years.  Later, tried the Breeze and had a great time - tons of trivia(for me) - tons of sports(for hubby). We were just on RCCL Harmony with a group and had a fabulous time.  We had one couple who were on the Majesty of the Seas years ago and swore they'd never do RCCL again.  They were glad we changed their mind.  I just finished reading two reviews where cruisers had trouble - one lost a piece of luggage, the other had a conflict at customer service.  They are never cruising with Carnival and NCL again.  Bad experiences can make you feel like you don't want to go back.  Just keep and open mind - you might be missing a great ship. 

By the way, I'm a total hypocrite - I just said "I'm NEVER driving through McDonald's again" based on one messed up order.  Just ordered 2 plain hamburgers(came with all toppings), ordered chicken tenders(received chicken nuggets), asked for extra ranch(received 6 honey mustard dipping sauces), asked for unsalted fries(received fries loaded with salt).  Do they do this on purpose???

• Like 2

I would agree that personally blacklisting a whole cruise line, if your problem was specific to one ship, could be counter productive. But if a person's problem(s) is/are with Corporate, (and therefore would affect all cruises) then I don't think their action would be unreasonable.

Nobody else's business why someone chooses to sail or not to sail on any given line. Their reasons are valid for them, if not for the next person.

Edited by mom says

I fell what your saying in kind of a different perspective, my family swore of carnival after one bad experience years before my time and have been loyal to royal ever since, and in turn turned me into loyal to royal. that being said i've never had a bad experience so it keeps me from trying another line for the fear of having a bad experience 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

5 hours ago, #1TravelMom said:

I've read so many reviews and comments where someone will swear never to sail on a specific cruise line again based on one experience.  We have been cruising since 1987 on all major cruise lines.  Over 65 cruises on 45+/- ships.  There are ships on each line that we just love and others that will probably wouldn't choose again.  I think this can be confusing for new cruisers reading comments.  We have had some not-so-great experiences over the years, but don't write off the entire line.  We had a bad Carnival experience and skipped them for several years.  Later, tried the Breeze and had a great time - tons of trivia(for me) - tons of sports(for hubby). We were just on RCCL Harmony with a group and had a fabulous time.  We had one couple who were on the Majesty of the Seas years ago and swore they'd never do RCCL again.  They were glad we changed their mind.  I just finished reading two reviews where cruisers had trouble - one lost a piece of luggage, the other had a conflict at customer service.  They are never cruising with Carnival and NCL again.  Bad experiences can make you feel like you don't want to go back.  Just keep and open mind - you might be missing a great ship. 

Your last sentence is the key.  Keep an open mind.  So many people fail to do exactly that.  How many times have we seen statements like "this was our first cruise, it was horrible and we will never cruise again" 

• Like 2

A family vacation is a large decision for many people. I know we only cruise once every few years. So to have a poor experience with one cruise when it’s a small sample size leaves an especially bad taste in your mouth. If you cruise carnival 5 times and enjoyed it, and on the 6th cruise there is a. An issue and b. You think carnival handled it poorly; you will probably write it off as a ship, employee, bad luck issue. If it’s your first and only cruise on carnival, you are more likely to blame the cruise line and write them off. 

ive had a few businesses that I wrote off after having a terrible experience. But the one thing they have in common is that it was my first time using that businsss (or had used it very little before). These are major businesses that have loyal customers so I realize logically that most likely I could go back and have a perfectly fine experience. But, my vacation dollars are valuable and there are usually plenty of other good choices so why risk it?

I think most people also say that immediately after a cruise and chances are good that a few years later their feelings may be a bit less hurt and they may give it another chance.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

A family vacation is a large decision for many people. I know we only cruise once every few years. So to have a poor experience with one cruise when it’s a small sample size leaves an especially bad taste in your mouth. If you cruise carnival 5 times and enjoyed it, and on the 6th cruise there is a. An issue and b. You think carnival handled it poorly; you will probably write it off as a ship, employee, bad luck issue. If it’s your first and only cruise on carnival, you are more likely to blame the cruise line and write them off. 

ive had a few businesses that I wrote off after having a terrible experience. But the one thing they have in common is that it was my first time using that businsss (or had used it very little before). These are major businesses that have loyal customers so I realize logically that most likely I could go back and have a perfectly fine experience. But, my vacation dollars are valuable and there are usually plenty of other good choices so why risk it?

I think most people also say that immediately after a cruise and chances are good that a few years later their feelings may be a bit less hurt and they may give it another chance.

this is why i have been hesitant to change, its a much bigger financial commitment than say giving a restaurant a second chance or trying a new one you don't know if you will like. I will in the future try another line but at this point i really don't see anyone else offering the things i like so ill wait to be tempted 😄

Sometimes it isn't what happened on the ship but how the problem was dealt with during the cruise (service) and afterwards (corporate).

NCL basically ruined my honeymoon in 1986 by giving us a cabin with no air conditioning. Literally none. It was August in the Caribbean/Gulf and the temp in our room was 90 degrees and higher at all times. NCL's solution was to give us a tiny (e.g., 6 or 8 inch) fan. They would not move us, could not fix the problem. 

Also, we had requested (and been confirmed to our TA) a table for two, since it was our honeymoon. Back in those days NCL still had fixed dining. When we boarded, we found we had been placed at a large table for 10. We approached the maitre d'hotel with info in hand and were told that due to a very large group being onboard the ship, we had been "relocated" and there was nothing he could do.  My newly minted husband, a veteran of restaurant work, told me afterwards he was broadly hinting that if we crossed his palm with some cash, he could do something for us.  Unbeknownst to me, he went back later and gave the guy some bucks and "miraculously" a table for two appeared for us -- in the very back corner, by the galley door. How lovely that was.

There were many other trials and tribulations that were NOTHING like I'd ever experienced on any other cruise line I'd sailed. This was "his" first cruise, and it was 10 years before I could get him to try cruising again, the experience was so terrible. We were young and naive -- we considered bailing the ship at our first port of call but really didn't have the financial wherewithal or knowledge of what to do.

Afterwards, we got nothing from NCL, who admitted, mind you, that there was no air to our cabin. Nothing. Not a partial refund, not a credit toward another cruise. Nada. 

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Not me. That was more than 30 years ago and NCL has not seen another dime from me. Considering how long I've been cruising, NCL lost a potentially good customer forever. The issues I could have forgiven. The lack of service and response I could not and will not.

• Like 5

We select our cruise based on ship and cruise line.  

There are some ships in some cruise lines that we would never sail on.  Either because of poor reputation or because we simply do not like that class of ship.  There are ships in the HAL fleet and the Princess fleet that we would pass on, yet there are others in those respective fleets that we would select in a heartbeat.

There is so much change and inconsistency  among some cruise lines that we believe it folly to select solely on the logo on the funnel.

Our favorite cruise was on Renaissance, South Pacific...a small ship with great food and great service...we didn't want to sail/cruise with any other lines......until it went bankrupt.

Funny, but we are guilty of "swearing off" a few cruise lines....then we see a good sale and next thing you know, we are back onboard. 😁

13 hours ago, #1TravelMom said:

I've read so many reviews and comments where someone will swear never to sail on a specific cruise line again based on one experience.

I don't ever swear off a line totally.  However, I will swear off a line until certain changes are made. 

13 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Not us, as once we make a decision it is made for good.

I both worked and cruised with P&O/Princess for 35 yrs and noted the standards dropping when they were purchased by Carnival. Our last cruise with them was poorly managed on board and the ship was more akin to a Tramp Ship than a Passenger Liner. Corporate customer service refused to acknowledge and resolve our concerns. On return home, we cancelled 2 longer cruises already booked and will never cruise with them again. We actually avoid all Carnival brands.

We also sailed with another UK cruise line using 2nd hand tonnage. After returning from ashore to significant Epoxy paint fumes in the cabin, the ship refused to address the issue. Purser's dept advised that the Chief Engineer advised the HVAC filters removed the dangerous fumes, so only non-harmful smell remained in the cabin. They saw no need to move our cabin, but eventually did. The response from their Corporate stated the paint was water based, so did not represent a health hazard. Also noted some navigational issues with other traffic and restricted visibility, which I would hope were not permitted in the SMS or Master's Standing Orders. Needless to say, after only 1 cruise, we will never return.

• Like 1

I would be much more likely to never sail on a particular ship again, not an entire line, if I had problems specific to the service on that ship.  Thankfully, I have never had any big issues on any of the 15 cruises I have sailed.

If I had a huge issue and complained to their corporate office, but it wasn't resolved, then I might consider dropping the line.

When you experience issues with customer service on a cruise ship, and elect to drop that particular ship, you should consider the crewing schedules.

The standards on a ship are predominantly set by the Master and Senior Officers/Department Heads. Customer service issues, poor crew, etc are often driven by the leadership team's management style. While the Masters work shift patterns they also rotate around the fleet every few years, at least in the companies I worked for.

My longest assignment to a particular ship as Captain was 7 years, with next longest being 5 years. So over time the standards on any particular ship should change.

I agree somewhat, but there are so many cruise lines out there , for your example when picking the oldest smallest ship it will not match the larger newer ships, there is only one line I will not sail on and that is ncl , celebrity is close. Just did msc after 15 years and there yacht club is amazing. 

What on earth are you talking about!  Abandon a cruise line?  Say it is not so!  As I pick myself up from LMAO (young folks understand this) I truly do not even understand the concept of "abandon a cruise line."  Perhaps it is because we have been cruising, extensively, for over forty years on many lines.  But why on earth (or on the sea) should we have any loyalty to a particular cruise line, hotel chain, airline, etc?  Our love is travel and a cruise is simply one wonderful means of travel.  But having cruised on 16 cruise lines and more then 65 ships (all of which were great fun) I almost feel sorry for those that get themselves into a rut.  It is a big world, there are many cruise lines, many ships, many ports, many menus, etc.  Expand your horizons, be adventurous, and enjoy every day :).

For the OP I would offer the following words or wisdom (or folly).  We once met a man who thought that a VW Beatle was the greatest most luxurious comfortable car on the planet.  Why?  He had never been in any other car but a VW Beatle.   We used to love RCI (my DD was Diamond by age 15).  Now, it is unlikely we will ever cruise on RCI again for a bunch of reasons.  Has RCI become an awful cruise line?  No, of course not!  But our standards have changed and we have moved on.  Now we would rather be on a 200 passenger luxury ship then a 6000 passenger "Blight of the Seas."  Mind you there is nothing wrong with cruising on the Blight of the Seas, but there are other fish in the sea.

Hank

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

When you experience issues with customer service on a cruise ship, and elect to drop that particular ship, you should consider the crewing schedules.

The standards on a ship are predominantly set by the Master and Senior Officers/Department Heads. Customer service issues, poor crew, etc are often driven by the leadership team's management style. While the Masters work shift patterns they also rotate around the fleet every few years, at least in the companies I worked for.

My longest assignment to a particular ship as Captain was 7 years, with next longest being 5 years. So over time the standards on any particular ship should change.

how much influence would a captain have over the day to day service employees?

In my case it wasn't just the ship, it was also the corporate offices after the fact.  When you get treated poorly on the ship and then have written proof of this that you present to corporate and are again treated like dog poop, a smart person will write off a bad company and no longer give them hard earned vacation dollars.  I have two lines I'll never sail again, even for free.  My vacation time is worth too much to risk another bad experience.

I want to also state that I don't expect a cruise (or any vacation) to be 100% perfect, and don't sweat the small stuff.

• Like 3

On 12/24/2019 at 12:50 AM, EDiamond22 said:

how much influence would a captain have over the day to day service employees?

The impact can be huge!  Anyone who has cruised long enough understands the concept of a "happy ship" vs ships that have some major morale problems.  The Captain (Master of the ship) sets the tone for all the crew and is not just at the helm of the Marine Department but also has a lot of impact on morale.  And sometimes it is the relatively small things that impact on one's cruise experience.  For example, we know Captains that will do whatever is possible to ensure that his/her ship is cruising in relatively smooth waters during Production shows where there is dancing (ship movement is dangerous for dancers and can even cause shows to be cancelled).  We also know a couple of Captains that will authorize deck officers to make some course changes to avoid bad weather on sea days.   (we also know other Captains what would not allow such changes).  

Speaking of morale, we were once (out of far more then 100 cruises) on a ship where the crew morale was truly in the pits.  It was on the old Fairsky (Sitmar cruises) which was soon to be taken over by Princess (and renamed the Sky Princess).  The situation on that cruise was really bleak and the problems went all the way to the top.  We recall one day when a bartender actually told all the passengers to "get out of my bar!"  Food in the MDR would be served cold the waiters could care less (many of them would not have their contracts renewed by Princess).   Captains and Hotel Managers really do matter!

And then there are the Captains with a wonderful sense of humor and or those who really enjoy being out and about with the passengers and crew.  Many folks do care about this kind of thing and it makes their cruise more enjoyable. Others could care less :).

Hank

• Like 4

It's become such a "smart thing" to do and say when you are the most minimally inconvenienced. I get that if the product overall doesn't suit your needs, then there is no reason to return.

My favorite is always the people who swear off a company because of some rule or policy, then they go to another company that does the same exact thing (or worse). Fact or logic doesn't apply to most people. It's about how they "feel"