Weather Cruising from Bayonne?

Jedge

Hello All!

My wife, toddler and I will be leaving on the Anthem at the beginning of February. I know weather is never predictable, but I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the temperatures we will experience. We are trying to narrow down how many warm weather outfits we need and how many cold weather outfits we need. I am assuming the day of embarkation and the first day at see would probably be on the chilly side. I would also expect the last day at sea and arrival back to Bayonne will be cold. I will put the itinerary below. Again, I know there is no perfect science to know how warm it is going to be, so any information would be much appreciated!

Day 1 (Feb. 07) - Bayonne

Day 2 - At Sea

Day 4 - At Sea

Day 4 - Port Canaveral

Day 5 - Cococay

Day 6 - Nassau

Day 7 - At Sea

Day 8 - At Sea

41 minutes ago, Jedge said:

Hello All!

My wife, toddler and I will be leaving on the Anthem at the beginning of February. I know weather is never predictable, but I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the temperatures we will experience. We are trying to narrow down how many warm weather outfits we need and how many cold weather outfits we need. I am assuming the day of embarkation and the first day at see would probably be on the chilly side. I would also expect the last day at sea and arrival back to Bayonne will be cold. I will put the itinerary below. Again, I know there is no perfect science to know how warm it is going to be, so any information would be much appreciated!

Day 2 - At Sea

Day 4 - At Sea

Day 4 - Port Canaveral

Day 5 - Cococay

Day 6 - Nassau

Day 7 - At Sea

Day 8 - At Sea

First day out and last say will be cold.  Ship is built for cold weather sailing so you can stay indoors.  2 indoor pools and plenty to do.  Enjoy.

• Thanks 1

I’m on the same itinerary at the end of February.  We’ll wear sweaters to and from the port on the first and last day but other than that, we’ll wear cruise wear since we’ll stay inside.  I was also on the ship at the end of November and wore the same. 

• Thanks 1

I live in the area.  It could be 50 F or it could be 5 F.  It could be calm or 20 foot seas.

It could be sunny or a blizzard.

You are asking about weather weeks away.

At about 10 days out the weather services start to have somewhat reliable predictions.

FYI, EWR tends to have delays at the hint of bad weather.

Many airlines will let you change tickets without a fee if there is bad weather predicted.

We did one winter cruise out of Bayonne years ago. Didn't care for the first and last couple days of cold weather. Air to NY is comparable to air to Florida so we prefer to have 7 days in warm weather as compared to 4-5 days. Also rooms near Bayonne tend to be pricier than in Florida.

2 minutes ago, diesel1973 said:

We did one winter cruise out of Bayonne years ago. Didn't care for the first and last couple days of cold weather. Air to NY is comparable to air to Florida so we prefer to have 7 days in warm weather as compared to 4-5 days. Also rooms near Bayonne tend to be pricier than in Florida.

Agree, there's no way I would fly to the northeast during winter for a cruise.

• Like 1

I cruised pretty much that same route in December last year and found that between New York and Florida it was cool and a little rougher.  Once we got to Florida and south, the seas smoothed out and it warmed up significantly (shorts/tee shirts).

Check the long range weather forecasts and decide from there.  It can be really cold the first and last day but you are inside most of the time.  We always board in jeans and long sleeves but are in capris/shorts and short sleeves most of the cruise.  I do bring a hoodie too as we like to walk outside.  Check the forecast for Port Canaveral too as it was only in the 50s when we were there last month.

I have sailed out of Bayonne a couple times in March and it was cold until we got down around the Carolinas...it started to warm up a bit.  Also, it is very common when you come back, going from warm waters to cooler waters, the waters can be somewhat rough in the winter months.  It happened both times I sailed out of Bayonne this time of the year and one of the crew members shared this....As said above, Anthem was made for cooler sailings and has more indoor space than most ships.  I sailed on her last year and thought it was great, so enjoy!!  Going out of Bayonne again soon....on the Oasis in May!  

4 hours ago, Jedge said:

Hello All!

Day 2 - At Sea

Day 4 - At Sea

Day 4 - Port Canaveral

Day 5 - Cococay

Day 6 - Nassau

Day 7 - At Sea

Day 8 - At Sea

Hi! I live in the area and I typically cruise out of Bayonne (but in the summer). I would suggest layers, but to definitely dress warmer on the day you get on the ship and your first and last day at sea. Of course, you'll be traveling down south on your first sea day, but keep in mind you will only be parallel with say Virginia or the Carolina's so it may still be a bit chillier than in sunny Central Florida. The same is the case on your way back/last sea day. By the time you get to your last day at sea, it will be cold since you will be parallel with New Jersey (your almost home). I see you said you are sailing on Anthem. Love that ship! Did a whole review about it on my blog here: https://thehappiesttravels.com/2019/01/11/anthem-of-the-seas-cruise-review/. Hope this info helps! 🙂

We've gone out of Bayonne in January and April and on both trips there were days I wore leggings/joggers in the Solarium! I'd always bring a light jacket to walk around decks and that you wear onto the ship and I'd bring comfortable pants and sweatshirt type outfit for everyone. True inside areas are fine, but walking from one end of ship to the other outside or even being in the solarium can be a little cool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I live in the area.  It could be 50 F or it could be 5 F.  It could be calm or 20 foot seas.

It could be sunny or a blizzard.

You are asking about weather weeks away.

At about 10 days out the weather services start to have somewhat reliable predictions.

FYI, EWR tends to have delays at the hint of bad weather.

Many airlines will let you change tickets without a fee if there is bad weather predicted.

We have done quite a few Feb and March cruises from Bayonne and agree with all above.  Anthem is a beautiful ship but imo she doesn't handle rough seas well.  Can be rocky until second afternoon when you round Cape Hatteras and enter the gulfstream.  Usually only wear jeans on first and last day.  Many folks switch to shorts on day 2.  No need to venture outside if it's cold, plenty to do indoors.  Would never fly in on embarkation day as EWR can be problematic.  Arrive early and spend some time in NYC.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jedge said:

Hello All!

Day 2 - At Sea

Day 4 - At Sea

Day 4 - Port Canaveral

Day 5 - Cococay

Day 6 - Nassau

Day 7 - At Sea

Day 8 - At Sea

We did this once in feb. Weather for us was frigid the day we embarked and the next day. Warmed slightly on day 3. Way back it was the same. Atlantic was extremely choppy on way back. For these reasons we sail out of florida all the time now. We had a 10 day cruise but it was warm for about 5-6 days and choppy. You may have better weather but it is feb.

• Like 1

Hi. I am on the same cruise and live 30 minutes from the port. Embarking I  wear  warm clothes (heavy sweater, heavy hoodie) as well as warm footwear. These can be hung in your cabin and worn off. The ship is great for cold weather, maybe a little rocky if we hit a storm. I wanted to add this info because I know when you disembark there is sometimes a wait for your pick up. Stay warm with that little toddler! I have been asking Alexa for the Port Canaveral and Nassau temperatures to judge what to pack. I don't expect a lot of swimming in the ocean, but spring temperatures are a pleasure as we leave this Northeast winter for a while. Oh yeah, an early happy Valentine's Day!

• Like 1

Did a 12 night Southern Caribbean from Bayonne In January on Anthem - my favorite ship.  Only Day 2 and 12 a bit chilly, while Day 3 was fine. Day 12 was cold!

The actual temperatures were:
Day 1- Cape Liberty: 23 F;

At Sea:
Day 2: 68 F; Day 3: 80 F
Day 10: 73 F; Day 11: 75 F and Day 12: 60 F.
Day 13 - Cape Liberty: 20 F 

Here a link with videos and pictures. Just note that the review is from the days where Anthem did offer Dynamic Dining - - that was in the past!

Edited by hallasm

On this same topic, how have they been treating sail-aways in the colder weather?  I sailed out of Bayonne once in January, and they were serving hot chocolate on the deck during sail away, thought that was pretty good.  Are they still doing something similar?  I'll be going at the end of March this time around, so it "should" be a little warmer than beginning of January.