Anyone denied boarding for not having parental authorization?

lcantw3658

Travelling in 2 weeks with friends. One of them is divorced and taking her 5 year old twins. I've told her she needs ex to give permission to take out of country but she does not want to attempt to get it from him. They are not on friendliest terms but they do share joint legal custody with 60/40 physical custody. 

Carnival website is actually pretty ambiguous and states that they "highly recommend" written notarized consent from other parent in order to avoid any customs issues. 

Do they absolutely need it or not? Will they be denied boarding without it? 

My girlfriend and I have been on several cruises with her daughter and have never had an issue at all.  No one has ever blinked an eye. We have even taken her with us to Cabo on a land based vacation and never had any problems whatsoever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Carnival is in the business of selling cruises not getting involved in custody disputes. She needs their birth certificates and nothing more legally. They won't ask for notorized copy of authorization. Someone will come along with a horror story shortly about being denied boarding.Now if you tried to board with two kids crying they want their mommy then you might have a problem 😉

Edited by n6uqqq
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, lcantw3658 said:

Travelling in 2 weeks with friends. One of them is divorced and taking her 5 year old twins. I've told her she needs ex to give permission to take out of country but she does not want to attempt to get it from him. They are not on friendliest terms but they do share joint legal custody with 60/40 physical custody. 

Carnival website is actually pretty ambiguous and states that they "highly recommend" written notarized consent from other parent in order to avoid any customs issues. 

Do they absolutely need it or not? Will they be denied boarding without it? 

I would go with the "highly recommended" to be safe.

• Like 1

I was denied entry into Canada at a land border crossing with my daughter with me but not mom. (This was a few years ago)

However, you're asking about on a cruise ship.

Last summer, when I was checking in at the port with my Granddaughter, they did ask if I had parental permission. I said yes and started to break out the paperwork. They said don't worry and processed us through.

Your friends mileage may vary.

Opinion even though not asked,,,, if I was the father and found out,,, I'd have the cops meet the ship on return and file kidnapping charges. (I would have given permission if asked,,, but not even having the respect to ask,,,, I'm bring charges.)

• Like 4

I've been on several cruises with my wife and stepdaughter and one of her friends that was obviously not related to us and no one asked for anything from us except the usual documentation. Two adults, two kids, and only the adults shared a last name. Just my experience...

• Thanks 1

Just now, klfrodo said:

I was denied entry into Canada at a land border crossing with my daughter with me but not mom. (This was a few years ago)

However, you're asking about on a cruise ship.

Last summer, when I was checking in at the port with my Granddaughter, they did ask if I had parental permission. I said yes and started to break out the paperwork. They said don't worry and processed us through.

Your friends mileage may vary.

Opinion even though not asked,,,, if I was the father and found out,,, I'd have the cops meet the ship on return and file kidnapping charges. (I would have given permission if asked,,, but not even having the respect to ask,,,, I'm bring charges.)

I tend to agree with you and completrely understand the reason for the authorization in the first place. At this point, it's up to her and fingers crossed!!! 

• Like 1

Being denied boarding for any reason

has to be an awfully depressing experience!

Have your paperwork ready, with alternatives as well.

Don't leave it at home. Better you have it and not need it

than need it and not have it!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have taken my kids on 3 cruises without my husband and have not had any problems (and I don't wear a wedding ring).  Recently we we also took a friend for my daughter and we were not even questioned when checking in.  You will have no problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been divorced for 8 years and taken my kids on cruises several times a year since that time. I have never been asked for any paperwork by cruise staff. However, I routinely get asked for it if flying or crossing land borders  - coming back into Canada, especially. I guess the bigger question for your friend would be where are you cruising and are the authorities likely to require the documentation. I don't thing you need to worry about the cruise line staff but about the immigration officials that may be needing to see paperwork depending on your itinerary!

• Thanks 1

Well, not the same thing, but we are taking my husband's office staff on a cruise and one is 19. Her cabin mate had to be over 25 and accept responsibility for her.  And she is technically an adult.

Also, I assigned my kids (5 and 7) to different cabins than me on my last sailing and they had to be checked in with their cabin mate (but not me) and no one at the port asked their cabin mate for parental permission documents and last names are all different.  Heck, my last name is different from my sons' (even though I am married to their father) and no one has ever said anything either. 

My two cents (not legal advice) is that she has legal custody so can make the decision to take them on a cruise.  The only way I see it being an issue (after the fact with her husband) is if the divorce decree/child custody agreement specifically states she has to obtain parental permission from the other parent to take them out of the country.  If it does, she better get it from Dad.  And I do agree that the best practice is to ask permission, but I also know there are some people in this world who would purposefully deny permission simply to be petty towards the other parent and disrupt their plans.

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always carry authorization for my sons as we are in Canada and do not want to be denied entry to the US.  Carnival has never asked me so I have never shown them.  I have cruised alone with them and also with my partner who has a different surname and never asked.  

However, getting off my last cruise entering the US, the US immigration person at the port asked "Are these children both your biological children?"  I of course said they were my biological children and presented my papers from their father.  My boys were 14 and 16 at the time.  

When spending this much money on vacation, it would be horrible to be denied boarding.  I no longer get documents notarized but my sons are almost adults.  I think if I were to take a chance, I would make sure my children's father was accessible by phone and access to some sort of technology in case they insisted on written authorization.  

• Thanks 1

My thoughts:

How would they know she is not a "single by choice" parent?  Never married....child conceived with a surrogate or donor...etc....

With that being said, unless the other bio parent is going to absolutely forbid it for whatever reason I'd get the paperwork.  If the other bio parent is going to forbid it...she better hope the child doesn't let it slip.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

My two cents (not legal advice) is that she has legal custody so can make the decision to take them on a cruise.  The only way I see it being an issue (after the fact with her husband) is if the divorce decree/child custody agreement specifically states she has to obtain parental permission from the other parent to take them out of the country.  If it does, she better get it from Dad.  

This is really the key issue. Did family law for several years. Some have separation agreement, custody order requiring written permission just to take a minor out of state! If there is anything in writing regarding parental consent to travel.......not a situation where you do the deed and beg forgiveness later.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

Carnival is in the business of selling cruises not getting involved in custody disputes. She needs their birth certificates and nothing more legally. They won't ask for notorized copy of authorization. Someone will come along with a horror story shortly about being denied boarding.Now if you tried to board with two kids crying they want their mommy then you might have a problem 😉

16 hours ago, mechomper said:

I have taken my kids on 3 cruises without my husband and have not had any problems (and I don't wear a wedding ring).  Recently we we also took a friend for my daughter and we were not even questioned when checking in.  You will have no problem.

Do not trust statements like these.  Nobody can promise that you will have no problems without a consent form. All it takes is one phone call from the parent who is not traveling to result in denied boarding.  Especially when shared custody is involved.  Far better to be safe and get the consent form.  We don't have a horror story about being denied boarding.  However,  when traveling with our grandchildren without their parents, yes we have been asked for the form and yes it had to be notarized. 

• Like 4

I can’t imagine the cruise line asking your relationship status. 

*Cruise line rep* - “Are you a single parent”? “Are you a divorced parent”? “Are you married, but traveling without your spouse”?

They just want travel documents and a parent signature.

Not all kids have two parents. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, April42749 said:

My thoughts:

How would they know she is not a "single by choice" parent?  Never married....child conceived with a surrogate or donor...etc....

One of the examples Carnival gives as a travel document for minors traveling without both parents is a birth certificate that names only one parent. That would cover the scenario you describe.

11 minutes ago, crazyank said:

Do not trust statements like these.  Nobody can promise that you will have no problems without a consent form. All it takes is one phone call from the parent who is not traveling to result in denied boarding.  Especially when shared custody is involved.  Far better to be safe and get the consent form.  We don't have a horror story about being denied boarding.  However,  when traveling with our grandchildren without their parents, yes we have been asked for the form and yes it had to be notarized. 

I agree. We're talking about a situation where outcomes have varied depending on who you talk to, so definitive statements like, "They won't ask," or "You won't have a problem," aren't good advice. We took our son's friend a couple years ago and we had a letter, but they never asked for it. It's true that a majority of the time, passengers aren't going to be asked for the letter, but that doesn't mean it never happens. So I would never advise anyone that they "won't" have a problem, because this is something that others can't guarantee.

To the OP's friend, if she decides to go without letting the father know, she should ask herself how she'd feel if he did the same to her. Do unto others. But even if she would be ok with not knowing, that doesn't mean he would. Regardless of how rocky their current relationship is, as long as the children are minors, they should be able to have some semblance of civility between one another (unless we're talking extreme situations). Just my 2 cents.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jessykaw said:

I can’t imagine the cruise line asking your relationship status. 

*Cruise line rep* - “Are you a single parent”? “Are you a divorced parent”? “Are you married, but traveling without your spouse”?

They just want travel documents and a parent signature.

Not all kids have two parents.

It isn't for the cruise line. It's for customs (DHS). The cruise line is just offering recommendations that could help expedite the customs process.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

It isn't for the cruise line. It's for customs (DHS). The cruise line is just offering recommendations that could help expedite the customs process.

Fortunately you don't go through customs until after the cruise is over. I cruised as a single father with my two daughters and the only hint of checking came after the cruise when the customs officer pulled my 13 year old at the time aside and asked her if I was her father. Having a notarized form is not mandated in the cruise contract so if one were denied boarding for this reason I would think they have a valid case to get all their money back. Having a notarized form is also not a legal requirement of the US customs, just the " highly recommended" .

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

Fortunately you don't go through customs until after the cruise is over. I cruised as a single father with my two daughters and the only hint of checking came after the cruise when the customs officer pulled my 13 year old at the time aside and asked her if I was her father. Having a notarized form is not mandated in the cruise contract so if one were denied boarding for this reason I would think they have a valid case to get all their money back. Having a notarized form is also not a legal requirement of the US customs, just the " highly recommended" .

When we took our son's friend, I made the comment to my wife that the letter was for customs and that we wouldn't see them until we came back. I said, if someone's kidnapping a kid, wouldn't they be leaving, not coming back? So if the customs agent had asked for the permission letter, I really wanted to joke that we kidnapped this kid, but we don't like him, so we're returning him to his parents. But knowing my luck, they wouldn't find it very funny and I'd end up in a small room in cuffs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1