PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

2 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Not entirely. I think the bat is a vector. 

Think it will be another few months before they will be able to say for sure.  Either way improvements will have to be made somehow in the supply chain (if you can call it that) to try and hinder future outbreaks.

6 new cases onboard Diamond Princess but reports don’t confirm nationalities, passengers or crew.  Unknown if the new confirmed cases are from new tests or from the original 276.  Have to guess new tests as now several days.  No indication if this has reset quarantine period.

From what David Abel, the passenger doing live video reports, has said they have not had any additional health checks by officials.  Testing only passengers with symptoms of fever or cough.  In other words only passengers declaring their symptoms.  
Surely they will have a final official health screening before allowing them to disembark.  

9 minutes ago, seapals2 said:

6 new cases onboard Diamond Princess but reports don’t confirm nationalities, passengers or crew.  Unknown if the new confirmed cases are from new tests or from the original 276.  Have to guess new tests as now several days.  No indication if this has reset quarantine period.

They aren't from the original 273, they are new cases. But, yes, no word on any change to the quarantine period. It shouldn't reset as all passengers are isolated from each other so the new cases won't cause the virus to spread any further.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fragilek said:

That's now been disputed disputed by scientist in the west as they have more time to study the virus- the culprit now thought more likely to be  the pangolin

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/07/pangolins-might-have-spread-coronavirus-to-humans

There is a part of me that hopes it is true because it might be the thing that would stop the Chinese demand for these creatures so Pangolins don't end up extinct😔.

46 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They aren't from the original 273, they are new cases. But, yes, no word on any change to the quarantine period. It shouldn't reset as all passengers are isolated from each other so the new cases won't cause the virus to spread any further.

But they are spreading somehow though because we don’t know if these new cases are related or from different groups. Obviously better if it’s the one party. 

24 minutes ago, Pushka said:

But they are spreading somehow though because we don’t know if these new cases are related or from different groups. Obviously better if it’s the one party. 

The new cases will have come from contact with infected passengers prior to the start of quarantine.  That’s the whole purpose of quarantine.  Anybody that’s contacted the illness will show symptoms within the two week period.  Once the other passengers get to the end of quarantine symptom free it will show they have not been infected.
 All of this though is dependant on passengers declaring symptoms and getting tested.  One week into quarantine I would hope health official or the medical team onboard are doing an official health check on every body and temperature scan.   As passengers released to come home will probably not go through further quarantine. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Debate said:

Don’t feel too bad - our “cancel fir any reason” has a “epidemic” exclusion so we can’t cancel due to the virus!  

Then it should be called "Cancel for Almost Any Reason". Sheesh!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Then it should be called "Cancel for Almost Any Reason". Sheesh!

So don't say you are cancelling due to coronavirus.  Say you are cancelling "because we changed our minds".  That is what one cruise insurance broker recommends.  I saw it somewhere on these boards - maybe on the Insurance forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seapals2 said:

The new cases will have come from contact with infected passengers prior to the start of quarantine.  That’s the whole purpose of quarantine.

Yes, if you assume the quarantine is 100% effective. But if it was spread through contaminated food prepared by an infected crew member,  or the HVAC system, then they could be new infections still spreading on the ship.

I don't think that sounds terribly likely, but it's not impossible.

7 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

I would think its way more than that , maybe ten times that .  the Chinese communist party officials have a pretty poor record on telling the truth.   I heard on the news the original doctor which was a young fella had died . also heard the Chinese officials also punished him when he broke the news of this coronavirus to the world..

It is way worse than anyone can imagine.  There's lots of videos that some Chinese people are posting via VPN to get word out as to what's going on.  This virus has past SARs deaths and infections in just 29 days.  SARs took months to reach the same level.  Some say "well people die from the flu every years - thousands."  True, but there's a vaccine for Influenza Type A and B.  Type A was given out but it was actually Type B that took over.  So, people can get reinfected with Type B.  Same as with corona, you can get infected twice.  Travel by people is what spreads it.  I'm not at all surprised that people on ships and on land are coming down with it.  I'm watching what they do and not what they say.  It's always in the back of my mind that it's a business and it's all about the money.  On the other hand, if it's between my health and cruising, I'll pick my health.  Cruising is suppose to be worry free right?

BTW, the coronavirus can stay on surfaces for up to 9 days.

https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext?mobileUi=0

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CarolineAtSea said:

We are booked for NZ with Golden Princess on 10 March. Our insurance is with RACV and I rang them yesterday. If the government bans travel between our countries I would be covered. But if I cancel because I'm anxious about either getting the virus or being quarantined on the ship, it is classed as change of mind and I get nothing from the insurance company. I've looked up Princess' policy and up until 15 days before the cruise (it is now 31 days) we get 50% back if we cancel. Less than 15 days I think we get nothing.

We are also on this cruise along with the next three. It would be a lot of money to walk away from based on “what if”. I’m trying to take comfort in the fact that the travel restrictions will have been in effect for several weeks. We’ll just have to keep an eye on things. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Just to remind people that the Anthem passengers in NJ were all let off the ship except for the 4 that were taken to a hospital to be checked out for the virus.

They were ALL cleared and NO one had it!

Many people’s concerns are not merely dying of the disease but of having what should be a relaxing vacation turn into a stressful time that ceases being a vacation.  That has occurred on Anthem.

Plus  the results of the autopsy has not been released of the crew member that died, so it is unknown if anyone on Anthem died of the disease.

Edited by ed01106

1 hour ago, LDVinNC said:

So don't say you are cancelling due to coronavirus.  Say you are cancelling "because we changed our minds".  That is what one cruise insurance broker recommends.  I saw it somewhere on these boards - maybe on the Insurance forum.

Or.... "too much work unexpectedly with a new project" or such.

GC

5 hours ago, fragilek said:

That's now been disputed disputed by scientist in the west as they have more time to study the virus- the culprit now thought more likely to be  the pangolin

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/07/pangolins-might-have-spread-coronavirus-to-humans

What is the most puzzling is that there have been no reports on the testing of animal samples collected in any epicenters in Wuhan, especially at the Huanan seafood market, to identify what animals might be the host or intermediate hosts of this novel Wuhan coronavirus.

An Animal Origin of the Virus

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/mysterious-origin-wuhan-coronavirus

1 minute ago, elliair said:

What is the most puzzling is that there have been no reports on the testing of animal samples collected in any epicenters in Wuhan, especially at the Huanan seafood market, to identify what animals might be the host or intermediate hosts of this novel Wuhan coronavirus.

An Animal Origin of the Virus

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/mysterious-origin-wuhan-coronavirus

I think the boat was missed in this by the time China admitted there was an issue.  Not even sure if the market had been "legitimized"- if you could ever call it that before the world outside even knew about the issue.

In terms of the "testing those with a fever" (and checking for fever as "the" symptom)...

Is it known whether someone can be sick with this virus and NOT have a fever?

Or how long it takes from first becoming infected to have a fever (if ever), and are those  people contagious prior to having a fever (or if never getting a fever, but still infected)?

That's what bothers me about "testing those with fever"...

GC

• Like 1