Jr versus Grand Suite

We have a Jr suite booked on a 16 day Jewel cruise.  Aft corner.  I can upgrade to a Grand suite for $300 pp.  There are a lot of sea days, so the extra room would be nice.   But it looks like the JR has the bed by the bathroom (which I prefer) and the grand has the bed by the balcony.  Don’t really use the lounges often and we can get better seats than the reserved seats in the theater.  So what else is there as a benefit for the money?  We usually get the UDP and have breakfast in our room.  So Suite breakfast and lunch areas don’t help.

What would everyone do? 

Unless it was already an expensive cruisefare, at the top of my budget, I would do it. 

A grand suite really is a lot larger and nicer than a junior suite, in my opinion. 

You can have “free” room service any time you like, including full meals from the MDR menu. 

Bathroom is much larger and nicer in a GS. 

If any of your ports are tender ports, you get priority. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Unless it was already an expensive cruisefare, at the top of my budget, I would do it. 

A grand suite really is a lot larger and nicer than a junior suite, in my opinion. 

You can have “free” room service any time you like, including full meals from the MDR menu. 

Thank you.  The extra is about 10% of price, so not a big deal.  If you have UDP, can you get that for room service?

10 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

The bed by the bathroom, being your choice, is nice but in the GS, you have a complete dressing area next to the bed with drawers, mirrors, shelves and such.  My wife really enjoys this little area for getting ready.

Agree with Marion_Mom about the tender ports and having priority departure and "free" room service.

There is another perk we like...if you want to go to breakfast, you have access to Chops as a private dining room where you can order your breakfast rather than having to go to the buffet if you want.  It is a much more quiet venue. 

• Like 1

I would do the GS. With that many sea days, just the full MDR room service menu would be worth it to me. The bigger room and balcony would be worth it too.

Remember in addition to the $300 fare difference, there is a gratuity difference as well. I think it is an extra $5.50/pp per day, but I don't remember for sure.

4 minutes ago, OSUZorba said:

I would do the GS. With that many sea days, just the full MDR room service menu would be worth it to me. The bigger room and balcony would be worth it too.

Remember in addition to the $300 fare difference, there is a gratuity difference as well. I think it is an extra $5.50/pp per day, but I don't remember for sure.

$3

$17.50 vs $14.50

• Thanks 1

We prefer the GS as you can order off the dining room menu for free to your room as part of the benefits. There are a few nights where we just like to sit on the balcony and chill. Also access to the lounge, we grabbed waters everyday, sat and had coffee, got away from the crowds. Not to mention you get access to the private sundeck as well. 

6 minutes ago, CruiseWendy said:

We prefer the GS as you can order off the dining room menu for free to your room as part of the benefits. There are a few nights where we just like to sit on the balcony and chill. Also access to the lounge, we grabbed waters everyday, sat and had coffee, got away from the crowds. Not to mention you get access to the private sundeck as well. 

I did not think Jewel had a private sun deck for suite passengers?  

The extra gratuity is not a big issue.  Have a call into our TA to make it happen.

thanks everyone 

Go GS -  I think you also get Coastal Kitchen for breakfast, lunch and dinner, whereas JS it's just dinner.

Plus if they go to their private island, don't you get a gated portion of it?

And if by chance you get quarantined on the ship -- it's a nicer room (joke).

1 minute ago, xcell said:

Go GS -  I think you also get Coastal Kitchen for breakfast, lunch and dinner, whereas JS it's just dinner.

Plus if they go to their private island, don't you get a gated portion of it?

And if by chance you get quarantined on the ship -- it's a nicer room (joke).

No Coastal  kitchen on Jewel. 

My bad, I didn't see the Jewel part.

GS

Max passengers: 4
Staterooms number: 17
Cabin size: 375 ft2 / 35 m2
Balcony size: 95 ft2 / 9 m2
Location (on decks): 10
Type (categories): (GS) Grand Suite

JS

Max passengers: 4
Staterooms number: 36
Cabin size: 300 ft2 / 28 m2
Balcony size: 65 ft2 / 6 m2
Location (on decks): 10
Type (categories): (JS) Junior Suite

75ft2 for cabin and 30 ft2 for balcony the difference.

Just to follow up.  We did book the GS, but with some issues.  There were 4 left when I called our TA.  Every time she tried to change the reservation, the $300 PP came up, but another $300 pp in taxes and fees also came up.  After 2 days and a lot of calls to RC, she got it done and it was the last one available.  

• Like 2

If it's $300 total for the entire trip, then GO for it....what a deal!  I mean, a JS is my preferred cabin, but if it was only $300 more for a GS, I'd do it in a second!  You don't get any "suite" perks to speak of with a JS....and you SAY you won't use the "perks", but I bet you'll enjoy them!

48 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I know it's late, but surprised no corner aft fans chimed in. 🤔

We have had one on a TA and one on a Baltic and they blew away the GS balconies.

Glad to hear you say this as we have a corner aft JS on Enchantment booked and was really looking forward to it.

2 hours ago, Bradison said:

Glad to hear you say this as we have a corner aft JS on Enchantment booked and was really looking forward to it.

You may get a walk in closet in the corner. The other JS's on Enchantment don't have one as I recall.

If anyone is still reading, JS 1100 is now available on the March 22nd Jewel TA from Galveston to Barcelona

And here is the fun part. The fare is $4122 with a Pinnacle balcony discount applied

However, if I book it at a solo rate (DP340) with an interior cabin on Deck 8 aft, it's only $4,356 for both

BTW, the total fare for a Diamond+ with at least 340 cruise points is practically the same

So for the grand total of $234, you get an extra cabin for 16 nights, and the occupant of 1100 gets 48 cruise points

Well basically your SO does as well since a rising tide lifts all boats, so to speak.

FWIW, I looked all this up because we had 1100 booked for the Nov 26, 2020 Suez canal trip that was cancelled and I'm still annoyed that I had to give her up.

Edited by John&LaLa