Over drinking family member unlimited drinks

This is why I was saying the bartenders should have cut him off. "slurring his words, difficulty ambulating ,". It sounds like he wouldn't be able to think straight and could possibly hurt himself.

I'm all about people accepting responsibility for their actions and I would normally say it should be on the drinker (which it should be). The only reason I think Royal should pay more attention to this is because of lawsuits. I don't think people should be able to sue for their stupid actions, but unfortunately that's the world we live in today. Case in point is the Chloe Weigand situation. 

I'm not saying this would happen with this particular case, I'm just saying in general.

This is why I was saying the bartenders should have cut him off. "slurring his words, difficulty ambulating ,". It sounds like he wouldn't be able to think straight and could possibly hurt himself.

I'm all about people accepting responsibility for their actions and I would normally say it should be on the drinker (which it should be). The only reason I think Royal should pay more attention to this is because of lawsuits. I don't think people should be able to sue for their stupid actions, but unfortunately that's the world we live in today. Case in point is the Chloe Weigand situation. I'm not saying this would happen with this particular case, I'm just saying in general.

I hope it was just this one incident with this young man and if not then I hope he gets the help he needs to asap. Sorry for the op's vacation being ruined. 

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

If he wasn’t disruptive to the other guests or displaying signs of physical distress then what is the issue?  The cruise line is not his guardian.  There are lots of people overindulging on cruise ships, I tend to ignore their behavior even if I am related to them.      Imagine if they started nagging people for eating too much.  

Someone eating to much isn't going to hurt others around them and I would think there wouldn't be any lawsuits against Royal if they did.

I'm all about people accepting responsibility for their actions and I would normally say it should be on the drinker (which it should be). The only reason I think Royal should pay more attention to this is because of lawsuits. I don't think people should be able to sue for their stupid actions, but unfortunately that's the world we live in today. Case in point is the Chloe Weigand situation. I'm not saying this would happen with this particular case, I'm just saying in general.

I hope it was just this one incident with this young man and if not then I hope he gets the help he needs to asap. Sorry for the op's vacation being ruined. 

17 hours ago, nadinenurse1 said:

I must say I am embarrassed to post this about my own family. Recently off the Indy stepson had purchased unlimited drink package and drink way too much. He must've had over 20 drinks and was clearly obviously way over his limit. I was really happy that the bartender at the bar he frequented stop giving him drinks and only gave him bottled water but my  stepson was able to bypass this by going to different bars to get more drinks. The five other family members on the trip talked to him constantly about how much he was drinking and tried to get him  to stop drinking and it didn’t work.  He drank for all four days of the trip quite frankly he will ruined it for the other five of us. Even went to get services but I knew as an adult he
can do what he wanted to I asked them if they will be able to put an alert on his card for the bartenders to closely chat before they gave him a drink but they said that was something they couldn't do.  I blame nobody but him for his behavior I only hoped that Royal Caribbean would've been able to help a little bit by putting some kind of information on his set and sail pass as not all bartenders where as able as others chanel his really drunk status.  I am sad embarrassed and not happy with him. 

He is obviously an alcoholic.  Rather than posting this irrelevant thread.  AS A FAMILY turn your efforts to helping him rather than airing your dirty laundry.  According to what you are saying, you and your family pretty much enabled him.  Send the guy to rehab, CC cant help him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Someone eating to much isn't going to hurt others around them and I would think there wouldn't be any lawsuits against Royal if they did.

Following your logic, RCI needs to permanently close all windows and board up all balconies because they are facing a lawsuit due to the inappropriate actions of a passenger.  I mean, you'd hate to see them facing litigation due to passenger misconduct, so we should go ahead and cut that off, right?  

Here's a pro tip: a company that's as successful and profitable as Royal Caribbean has lawyers on staff for a reason, and they're typically in a far better position than most individuals/families to deal with questionable litigation.

You cannot possibly have enough rules or laws in place to prevent people from taking legal action, and attempting to do so would adversely affect everyone else (read: the overwhelming majority of their customers).

• Like 1

To the OP, I understand your concerns, I've been on cruises with adult children who drank too much, but at least it wasn't a nightly event.  To those of you who drink too much, you have no idea what it is like to "babysit" another adult on a cruise because of concerns on what they are going to do.  You may be having the time of your lives but have no idea what is like on the other side and according to some of these posts, could care less.  I've always wonder what the big deal if you can't remember the next day anyway.  I'm not saying I don't drink, drink most weekends but know my limits.  I hope this young man makes changes soon, I've read that it takes some of this generation til they are 30 years old to become adults.  They listen to their friends and won't take advise from a parent, especially a mother.  I was told that it is none of my business.  

• Like 1

This is why I don't cruise with my 20 year old kids. I'm not babysitting them and dealing with the during and aftermath. 

If I was Royal, I'd be concerned with an obvious drunk slurring and stumbling for risk of blood alcohol poisoning or falling off ship (rare). I guess this young man wasn't overt in drunken behavior so they didn't bother. 

2 hours ago, terpshockey77 said:

To the OP, I understand your concerns, I've been on cruises with adult children who drank too much, but at least it wasn't a nightly event.  To those of you who drink too much, you have no idea what it is like to "babysit" another adult on a cruise because of concerns on what they are going to do.  You may be having the time of your lives but have no idea what is like on the other side and according to some of these posts, could care less.  I've always wonder what the big deal if you can't remember the next day anyway.  I'm not saying I don't drink, drink most weekends but know my limits.  I hope this young man makes changes soon, I've read that it takes some of this generation til they are 30 years old to become adults.  They listen to their friends and won't take advise from a parent, especially a mother.  I was told that it is none of my business.  

Unfortunately it appears this guy comes from a somewhat dysfunctional family. The fact that the OP would air dirty laundry about her own family in a public forum, even if it is anonymous, tells you a lot about the family in my opinion.  The environment you live in can have a big impact on you, both positively or in this case negatively. 

15 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Unfortunately it appears this guy comes from a somewhat dysfunctional family. The fact that the OP would air dirty laundry about her own family in a public forum, even if it is anonymous, tells you a lot about the family in my opinion.  The environment you live in can have a big impact on you, both positively or in this case negatively. 

Amazing assumption!! 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, rusty nut said:

You seapss account does keep track of every swipe. Although, I'm not sure it can track what kind of beverage was swiped. I'm sure, somehow, management can access that information, especially if there were an investigation. 

Recently with the drink package, we were charged for a drink on our seapass account.  I stopped in at Guest Services to have the charge removed.  The officer was able to trigger a printout of that particular drink.  It was a beer. I do think that their system can track types of individual drinks - when entered correctly by bartenders. 

BTW, The improper charge was promptly removed. 

12 hours ago, Mary229 said:

If he wasn’t disruptive to the other guests or displaying signs of physical distress then what is the issue?  The cruise line is not his guardian.  There are lots of people overindulging on cruise ships, I tend to ignore their behavior even if I am related to them.      Imagine if they started nagging people for eating too much.  

As with any bartender, they have a responsibility to stop serving those that are too stupid to know they have had too much.

We just experienced this on the Harmony. Got in the elevator with someone that was so trashed he could hardly stand up. He was slurring his words and his eyes were completely bloodshot. When he got off the elevator he stumbled and didn't know where he was going. After the elevator closed I said to my husband I wonder how much he had to drink. Another person in the elevator said they had seen him trashed the day prior as well.

Well I agree that people should be responsible for themselves, we know that doesn't always happen. They absolutely should be tracking drinks and cutting people off when they can't even walk normal.

And to compare someone drunk and not completely in control of themselves to someone overeating is just asinine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BeachChik said:

And to compare someone drunk and not completely in control of themselves to someone overeating is just asinine.

Google "is overeating an addictive behavior?"

https://www.google.com/search?q=is+overeating+an+addictive+behavior&rlz=1C1SQJL_enCA881CA881&oq=is+overeating+an+addictive+behavior&aqs=chrome..69i57.6231j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

From just one quote from the hundreds of links, studies and research:

"We are just now beginning to understand the addictive-like properties of food and how repeated overconsumption of high sugar -- similar to taking drugs -- may affect our brains and cause compulsive behaviors,"

5 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Google "is overeating an addictive behavior?"

https://www.google.com/search?q=is+overeating+an+addictive+behavior&rlz=1C1SQJL_enCA881CA881&oq=is+overeating+an+addictive+behavior&aqs=chrome..69i57.6231j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

From just one quote from the hundreds of links, studies and research:

"We are just now beginning to understand the addictive-like properties of food and how repeated overconsumption of high sugar -- similar to taking drugs -- may affect our brains and cause compulsive behaviors,"

What's your point?

You can't compare that to someone who can hardly walk, doesn't know where they are, can't hardly speak. The guy we saw was literally falling over in the elevator. Yes the cruise line should have cut him off. He would be the person to do something stupid like jump overboard or fall and hurt himself.

This might not be the message you wanted to read but it’s the message you need.

Let’s not kid anyone here. The young man has a serious drinking problem. And if he’s drinking 20 per day, each day, every day.... then you and other family & friends should have known about his drinking problem.  If you didn’t know...why not?  Nobody binge drinks twenty drinks per day for 5+ days in a row w/o a drinking problem. Nobody. 

Having said this, the issue of bartenders over serving him are real. Your waiter at dinner serving him 6 drinks is an issue as well. So I recognize your situation. But bringing this to this message board is bad form in my opinion. It’s the wrong board. You need to be a board that discusses how to deal w alcoholics.  BTW, it isn’t RCL’s  problem that he has alcoholic tendencies. But it’s their problem once they discover it. This I do agree w you on.  But I have to ask you... why on earth would you go on a cruise w anyone that is an alcoholic and has an unlimited drink package? And then ask a floating bar to monitor him? 

My questions are rhetorical... no answers are needed. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Let’s not kid anyone here. The young man has a serious drinking problem. And if he’s drinking 20 per day, each day, every day.... then you and other family & friends should have known about his drinking problem.  If you didn’t know...why not?  Nobody binge drinks twenty drinks per day for 5+ days in a row w/o a drinking problem. Nobody. 

The same situation can also happen from someone that doesn't drink much, but let's loose on a cruise.  Happens all the time.  From the limited context of this thread there are numerous situations that could have caused this behavior and result.  I'm not going to assume that I know this person's prior habits from one thread, especially considering he was on a cruise, where overindulgence is typical and with unlimited access to drinks.

I do agree that better steps maybe could have been taken by Royal, but again, tough to know how this all went down.  How long was it before the obvious signs of excessive drinking showed up?

Dan

It's a shame that we want others to be responsible for our behavior (or in this case, the son's behavior).  The cruise lines aren't responsible for your drinking, nor are the staff.  You (and your family) are responsible for your son's behavior.  Because he can't be controlled is reason enough NEVER to invite him to a family function or cruise again.

As you have pointed out, there's more than one way to get more alcohol on a cruise ship.  If they can't get it at a bar, they can get it via room service, or just go to another bar.  It's up to YOU to get YOUR SON to act responsibly.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Having said this, the issue of bartenders over serving him are real. Your waiter at dinner serving him 6 drinks is an issue as well. So I recognize your situation. But bringing this to this message board is bad form in my opinion. It’s the wrong board. You need to be a board that discusses how to deal w alcoholics.  BTW, it isn’t RCL’s  problem that he has alcoholic tendencies. But it’s their problem once they discover it. This I do agree w you on.  But I have to ask you... why on earth would you go on a cruise w anyone that is an alcoholic and has an unlimited drink package? And then ask a floating bar to monitor him? 

My questions are rhetorical... no answers are needed. 

It is possible for someone to have a family member who has a drinking problem and not know it.  If this adult son does not live with them, then maybe they really didn't know.  Not every alcoholic has DUIs, goes to work drunk, or even drinks daily.  Binge drinking can be hidden from family members.  However, now she knows.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

It's a shame that we want others to be responsible for our behavior (or in this case, the son's behavior).  The cruise lines aren't responsible for your drinking, nor are the staff.  You (and your family) are responsible for your son's behavior.  Because he can't be controlled is reason enough NEVER to invite him to a family function or cruise again.

As you have pointed out, there's more than one way to get more alcohol on a cruise ship.  If they can't get it at a bar, they can get it via room service, or just go to another bar.  It's up to YOU to get YOUR SON to act responsibly.

I disagree that it is the family’s responsibility for an adult son’s behavior.  It is the individual who is responsible.  And I also agree that not every family knows they have an alcoholic in their midst.  I had no idea at all that we have one who’s 56 years old.  I don’t live in the same town and the person is always sober around me.  Only recently found out...and the problem is apparently decades old.

10 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I disagree that it is the family’s responsibility for an adult son’s behavior.  It is the individual who is responsible.  And I also agree that not every family knows they have an alcoholic in their midst.  I had no idea at all that we have one who’s 56 years old.  I don’t live in the same town and the person is always sober around me.  Only recently found out...and the problem is apparently decades old.

Exactly.  The last time I saw one of my relatives, he mentioned that he hadn't had a drink in two years.  I never knew he had a drinking problem.  I never even saw him drunk one time.  He has held a very good job for decades and never had any legal issues regarding alcohol.

I suspect this is not the case. But please let’s stop the BS here. A mom doesn’t all of a sudden discover her son binge drinks 20/day. Tell Tell signs are abundant around binge drinkers.  Some are either in blatant denial or simply lack the knowledge on binge drinking and alcoholic tendencies 

Parts of this story don't seem to quite add up.  Take this quote: "even at dinner , 6 drinks. I counted.. being the loud mouth person I am I told him and the wait staff to not bring him more drinks... So he waited until after dinner went to a bar and got more."  So he had six drinks at dinner when you told the waiter to not bring him any?  Doesn't add up.  I also find it quite hard to believe that anyone at dinner has time for six drinks, let alone the server comes around six times for refills.  I see likely quite a bit of exaggeration here.  I also think maybe you should have let him run around the ship and do his own thing.  You sound like a helicopter parent to an adult.  He likely would have been fine given space.  Maybe he needed to drink to get through his vacation! (kidding)

• Like 3