Your best Princess Cruise moments (Anti-Coronavirus thread)

Steelers0854

I really love the anticipation leading up to the cruise.                                                                                                                                    My 5 year old helps us to cross a day off the calendar to show we are getting closer to the cruise.                                                         I look over the boards and search Youtube but try to avoid all the posts about bad food, crowds, negative this and that to find the tips and tricks that will make our trip more amazing than I already know it will be.

As we get closer and closer the anticipation gets greater and we start making lists so we don't forget that on our last cruise we needed a baggie for snacks for our little guy, so we gather them as to not forget them this time.

Then the documents come and we get the suitcases out of storage and the packing begins.... 

The Uber turns the corner and we can see our home for the next amazing week!!!                                                                               We wait with the masses in the terminal, then they call our group to board, walking up the gangway with our son smiling from ear to ear and the phones and e-mails from my office fading into the distance....  We made it!!!!! time to enjoy a week of family fun time, if the food is no good, which is impossible since we didn't cook it or have to clean a pan, so what.                                    Crowds, who cares, I am not sitting in my car on the smog filled 405 freeway in LA.   I am floating in the Caribbean!!             Making memories with my family that will last a lifetime is all that m matters.                                                                                     That being said we are 60 days out from the Caribbean Princess taking us to Paradise so the lists have begun!!!!

11 hours ago, Peckishpixie said:

I sailed on the original Pacific Princess in 1982 when I was in Junior high and a HUGE Love Boat fanatic! I loved everything about it! My photo album is loaded with pictures of the most magnificent and over the top buffet displays. I played shuffle board and ping pong. I remember having a full run of the ship while my parents hung out at the lounge. I even got to sleep in my own room and order room service. I even invited a boy back to my cabin. It was scandalous even though we didn't even kiss!  I was sure I was the most sophisticated 12 year old on the whole planet. 

Back then it was heavily Love Boat branded and I really loved it. I felt like I was in the show. They really did welcome each guest individually, even though it wasn't Gopher and Julie. Oh! and they let you throw confetti off the boat! 

I know that the cruise industry had to change like everything else, but jeez I miss the age of the midnight buffet and Acapulco lounge.  I have such a nostalgic smile on my face now. Thanks for this thread.  

What marvelous memories you have!  You made me smile like crazy with your post!

• Like 1

So many beautiful memories from the deck of Princess ships.  We are about to leave on our 19th and I still get as excited as I did the first time.  Walking up to the ship and just seeing her makes me burst into tears of happiness.  

I remember being on the Pacific Princess and: doing a tour of Asia, we had to redirect to miss Typhoon Kaimai and were going to the Captain's party with our tablemates.  Just as we got to the open deck, there was the more incredible sunset ever!  It took my breath away.

Seeing a tri-level thunderstorm while sailing in Panama.  Watching the lightning go from one cloud deck to the next was incredible.

Sailing up the Amazon and watching the water change color from brown to black.

So many happy memories and so ready to make more!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HodgeNNicole said:

I really love the anticipation leading up to the cruise.                                                                                                                                    My 5 year old helps us to cross a day off the calendar to show we are getting closer to the cruise.                                                         I look over the boards and search Youtube but try to avoid all the posts about bad food, crowds, negative this and that to find the tips and tricks that will make our trip more amazing than I already know it will be.

As we get closer and closer the anticipation gets greater and we start making lists so we don't forget that on our last cruise we needed a baggie for snacks for our little guy, so we gather them as to not forget them this time.

Then the documents come and we get the suitcases out of storage and the packing begins.... 

The Uber turns the corner and we can see our home for the next amazing week!!!                                                                               We wait with the masses in the terminal, then they call our group to board, walking up the gangway with our son smiling from ear to ear and the phones and e-mails from my office fading into the distance....  We made it!!!!! time to enjoy a week of family fun time, if the food is no good, which is impossible since we didn't cook it or have to clean a pan, so what.                                    Crowds, who cares, I am not sitting in my car on the smog filled 405 freeway in LA.   I am floating in the Caribbean!!             Making memories with my family that will last a lifetime is all that m matters.                                                                                     That being said we are 60 days out from the Caribbean Princess taking us to Paradise so the lists have begun!!!!

Sometimes, the anticipation is the best part of the cruise.  And that moment of first walking up the gangway to the ship is so sweet.  I always feel a  little sad, though, because it means it will too soon be over.  However, a trip to the Future Cruise Desk usually helps!  😄

Celebrating a milestone birthday on the Grand Princess was my best moment.  Feb. 11th was my 80th birthday, myself, my husband, daughter and her husband, sister and brother-in-law, 6 friends, all did the Feb. 11 - Feb. 21 Mexico cruise on the Grand.  We had a late embarkation due to a medical emergency with a passenger on the previous cruise [not corona virus related].  The Princess staff handled our boarding at 8 p.m. very professionally, we were on the ship and in the Botticelli dining room for dinner at 8:30.  The dining room staff was great, as was the food, guests were seated as they arrived, servers worked very hard to compensate for the erratic arrival time of guests.   After dinner we had the muster drill, we were in the Crown Grill for our station, no longer need to bring life jackets, just be sure and bring your cruise card.

My brother-in-law and myself are both unable to do stairs and the Botticelli dining room was a challenge for us to get to, due to limited elevator service.  My husband asked if there was another dining room we could access more easily, and Oana, the Maitre D graciously moved us to the Michaelangelo dining room for our evening meals, easy peasy, and we loved our server, George at table 45;  the Maitre D there, Luigi, was outstanding, and took great care of us during our stay.

Morning coffee became a daily routine at the International Cafe area, then we would head to the buffet for breakfast each morning.  The buffet area was clean, nice variety of food, very attentive crew, a couple of days a crew member would carry my plate for me and find me a nice table.  

Most days we enjoyed trivia, we usually had the maximum team of 6 players, our favorite cruise trivia leader was Guido, he made the game fun even though we never won.

There was a card in my cabin with a voucher for a complimentary birthday dessert, you could bring it to any dining room, I asked if I could have the dessert without the happy birthday singing and our waiter granted my request.  It was a delicious chocolate dessert with a candle, best dessert ever.

Our ports of call were Manzanillo, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo [I stayed on the ship in Cabo as I don't do tenders].   Best shopping, price wise was in Manzanillo, a long walk along the pier. [Tram, please!]  My daughter said most expensive shopping was in Cabo.   Our cabin was an obstructed view, deck 8, room 618, lots of room, we asked for and received a blue club chair.  Plenty of room to move around, right amount of storage space, nice elite bathroom supplies; shower cap, loofah, chap stick, emery board, lotion], blue princess bag on our bed the first night, nightly chocolate candy on the bed, super comfy beds.  Our room steward, Romeo, was like a silent Ninja, always had our room prepared when we were out, he was great.  

All 12 of our group are past the corona virus incubation period, all safe and sound, ready for our next Princess adventure.

Our ages on this cruise were from mid 50's to 83.

The Grand now has a Salty Dog Grill, we had lunch there one day, efficient ordering system, you give a staff member stationed there your order and you get a pager that lets you know when your order is ready, we had hot dogs and fries one day, outstanding!   I didn't try Slice, but my daughter did and enjoyed the avocado toast and stromboli.

The ship was in great shape, crew was constantly working hard to keep it clean and fresh, we had a relaxing and memorable cruise, can't wait for our next cruise in Sept. on the Star for an Alaska cruise.  We love sailing out of San Francisco, my husband does not like to fly, so Princess is our favorite go to for vacations.  We live about 40 minutes away from pier 27 so we use a shuttle service to drive us to and from the port, drop off our luggage with a porter, and we're off!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, norcalcruzr said:

Celebrating a milestone birthday on the Grand Princess was my best moment.  Feb. 11th was my 80th birthday, myself, my husband, daughter and her husband, sister and brother-in-law, 6 friends, all did the Feb. 11 - Feb. 21 Mexico cruise on the Grand.  

Happy 80th! May you celebrate many more birthdays on a Princess ship 😊💐🎂.

• Like 1

For me the first cruise that I took on Princess was the Diamond Princess Voyage of the Glaciers I think in 2015. It was a great trip, mostly I loved sitting in what was either an indoor pool area or a covered solarium watching the scenery go by and all the presentations by park rangers and naturalists. Plus there were four anytime dining restaurants and each one seemed to have a specific theme. That seems to have fallen by the wayside as both the Eastern Caribbean cruises we have taken on seem to have identical menus. Also we did the Princess transportation to Anchorage airport, very efficient and the driver was very informative pointing out the sights and the Dall sheep.  I also enjoy relaxing on my deck with a glass of wine on the two Caribbean cruises and watching sunset. MUTS is my favorite ship activity. We enjoyed watching the second half of the Super Bowl this year and on the first Caribbean cruise watching the Life of Pi on the giant screen was pretty spectacular

On 3/7/2020 at 1:44 PM, Steelers0854 said:

I hope our paths will cross one day on a cruise (also would love to meet @Pam in CA and @PescadoAmarillo)!

Awww, thank you so much for this!  I feel the same way!

I would have to say that our two seasons, around 150 days or so, cruising in French Polynesia on the Pacific Princess were probably the best time that we’ve ever had or could ever hope to have. They- the ship, the itineraries, the crew- were simply perfection. 

It is tough to name just one as every voyage has had too many great memories aboard the ships.

One that sticks out very vividly is Christmas 2018 Panama Cruise on the Coral. 

First, our teenage boys (aged 15 & 17 at the time) did not want to go visit Santa in the Atrium.  I encouraged them to go after all the little kids had their moment.  Reluctantly they went.  Princess outdid themselves with a gift for each of them - Bella & Rose Gift Box containing a watch, wrist band, & bottle opener(?).

Second, our room steward first read them the riot act the first day about being in a cabin by themselves and by day two he was giving them high fives, telling them about alternate shower locations (as they are 6'6" & 6'7" with size 16 & 15 shoes respectively), and giving them extra chocolates.

Also, the dining room waitstaff were amazing and had the boys order down to a tee based on the menu.  They always took the time to listen to our boys and encouraged them to think outside the box for food(on another voyage our youngest tried frog legs).

Sometimes they even brought two desserts knowing that the boys couldn't decide between the Love Boat and the dessert of the evening.

They always had jokes and tricks just for them.

Princess continues to wow us. 

As the boys grew older and lost interest in the various kids program, we thought it would be a train wreck taking them on a cruise(ie boredom). 

Nope, give them a good chair by the pool with burgers, fries, ice cream, coffee, MUTS &/or their electronics they are content and happy to be away from the craziness of life.

We have tried NCL, RCI, and even Disney just for them.  Every time I hear thanks for that cruise but can you book Princess next time?  From teenagers...I think that is a solid recommendation.

We too are very content with how Princess treats us as a family.  It is tough to find a vacation that everyone can do as much or as little as they want individually or as a family.  Cruising with Princess is one vacation I can count on.  The memories of special family time are immeasurable thanks to all the team members of Princess Cruise Lines.

• Like 3

In the early 90's, DW and I took a Med cruise on the original Star Princess (later transferred to P&O and renamed the Arcadia) and visited Santorini on a perfect summer day.  When we returned to the ship, DW and I decided to go up on deck and quickly found ourselves in one of the hot tubs as the sun was moving low in the sky.  As we looked over towards the island, the angle of the sun gave everything a golden glow and the shadows were constantly moving as the sun moved towards the sea.  It was one of the most beautiful sites we have seen in a lifetime of extensive travel.   We have been back to Santorini at least 10 times and have never been able to duplicate that experience.

Hank

• Like 3

The funniest event I have ever seen was a Musical Murder Mystery on a Christmas cruise in 2015, the entertainment staff were outstanding on that cruise, I’ve never laughed so much in my life. I’ve never seen the murder mystery on a schedule again, but I always keep an eye out for it. 

Nice idea, Steelers0854!

There have been many great moments, moments that last forever, that have occurred on Princess ships.

We're just off a 28 day LA-Hawaii-Tahiti-LA run on the Emerald that produced a few more. Funny how the trip seems a blur when you just get off, but the moments slowly come back to you over time - or is that just old age?!

But the the best, as many other things in life, was the first one. That entire cruise, in 1992 for me (my wife goes back even further to the Sitmar days), on the old classic Star Princess was one great moment. We sailed from Venice to Rome, into the Black Sea and Odessa, Yalta, and Istanbul in addition to several of the Greek Islands. Pure magic.

One moment does continue to stand out and is the basis for so many great moments over the years: It was in a lounge/caviar bar on the Star. There was a waiter there named Bong. I ordered a martini one night and the night after, Bong greeted me by name and asked if I would like a martini, extra dry, straight up with olive - just as I ordered it the night before for the first time onboard. I felt like a star! 

I often wonder what became of Bong and I'm reminded of him every time a bartender or waiter/waitress on Princess greets me to this day. The staff and crew of Princess are what brings me back - they are wonderful people who do a very hard job graciously and with heart. Yes, there's a few less so once in awhile, but overall it's the great service that stands out.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, loge23 said:

Nice idea, Steelers0854!

There have been many great moments, moments that last forever, that have occurred on Princess ships.

We're just off a 28 day LA-Hawaii-Tahiti-LA run on the Emerald that produced a few more. Funny how the trip seems a blur when you just get off, but the moments slowly come back to you over time - or is that just old age?!

But the the best, as many other things in life, was the first one. That entire cruise, in 1992 for me (my wife goes back even further to the Sitmar days), on the old classic Star Princess was one great moment. We sailed from Venice to Rome, into the Black Sea and Odessa, Yalta, and Istanbul in addition to several of the Greek Islands. Pure magic.

One moment does continue to stand out and is the basis for so many great moments over the years: It was in a lounge/caviar bar on the Star. There was a waiter there named Bong. I ordered a martini one night and the night after, Bong greeted me by name and asked if I would like a martini, extra dry, straight up with olive - just as I ordered it the night before for the first time onboard. I felt like a star! 

I often wonder what became of Bong and I'm reminded of him every time a bartender or waiter/waitress on Princess greets me to this day. The staff and crew of Princess are what brings me back - they are wonderful people who do a very hard job graciously and with heart. Yes, there's a few less so once in awhile, but overall it's the great service that stands out.

What a great post. I remember my hubby asking for a Crocker Ricky - a creation by a friend of ours and he taught the library barkeeper (Simon) how to make it.  Every night after that, there was a Crocker Ricky waiting at our table for him.  When he was off, he still came up and made the drink for my hubby.  What a great memory that was and I'd forgotten all about it until I read this.  So, thanks!!

• Like 2

Hi everyone - while we are loyal mostly to Royal and Celebrity, one of my favorite memories from our first Princess cruise was the delicious fettuccine alfredo every night for dinner. I asked for a small side dish of it and it was presented to me each evening! So incredibly yummy. 😋

I'm still working on coming up with my best Princess cruise moment because there are so darn many and most include our dear friends Kathy & Bernie, but I'm working on it. 

This is a great thread and I'm really enjoying reading everyone's story and seeing the pictures.

It’s hard to pick one memory that stands out on the Princess cruises we’ve taken - the first Chef’s Table we ever did is etched in my mind and of of course all of the  wonderful people we’ve met over the years goes without saying. We met a couple from Canada in 2008 on a Southern Caribbean cruise on the Crown Princess and have now travelled with them all over the world every year since then (except the year our daughter got married!) If not for that Princess Cruise I doubt our lives would have ever crossed paths.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Langley Cruisers said:

Hi everyone - while we are loyal mostly to Royal and Celebrity, one of my favorite memories from our first Princess cruise was the delicious fettuccine alfredo every night for dinner. I asked for a small side dish of it and it was presented to me each evening! So incredibly yummy. 😋

This was probably when it was served in the Parmesan cheese basket but that’s a topic for a whole other thread!  😉. They do have an amazing fettuccine Alfredo. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

This was probably when it was served in the Parmesan cheese basket but that’s a topic for a whole other thread!  😉. They do have an amazing fettuccine Alfredo. 

They sure do!  The best I've tasted!