SS Norway

mkcurran

My very first cruise in the 80’s. My friend was a TA back then she got free cruises & I got to go with her. Our cruise was free, but, our bar tab was huge. She was a beautiful ship. We sailed on her 3x’s. I’m gonna go find pixs yo post 2moro. Night all

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 4:09 PM, Joanne G. said:

Nothing like being awakened from a nap on the pool deck by the sound of gunfire.  😄

skeet.JPG

The sound of gunfire off in the distance

I'm getting used to it now

Talking Heads  "Life During Wartime"

• Like 1

I posted cabin prices for Norway earlier, and these were the airfare add on prices and post cruise tour prices.

It is surprising that airfare is not that much different 40 years later, but Disney World is a little more.😀

Scanairline.thumb.jpg.5538cd60e1669c95da85e8d29f58f2fb.jpg

Post Cruise tours.

ScanPostC.thumb.jpg.5668eb39d14867d5df6077ea4e0b61d0.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I am not sure how clear this scan will be, but it is the cabin price list for sailings in the inaugural year 1980.

Scanprice.thumb.jpg.5e738f4ea5051b9eb52c6cf7a4b47180.jpg

Actually these prices are somewhat similar to current prices 40 years later.....however the quality has gone way down.

thanks for sharing 

Glad you saved it

1 hour ago, mamashamiller said:

Actually these prices are somewhat similar to current prices 40 years later.....however the quality has gone way down.

The buying power of $100 in 1980 dollars is about the buying power of $313 in today's dollars due to inflation so if you're still charging $100 in 2020 chances are pretty good that the quality of the product has to be lower.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, mkcurran said:

Anybody have more pictures? Would love to see more.

One of the ship as we tender to St. Thomas August 1980

65F29EFA-1BF1-431D-9695-5EFCCE1C8527.thumb.jpeg.7d80cb38841c43630fb29e8852410e8b.jpeg

Bridge tour

75F1D4B9-59BD-437B-90E2-952BB53CA615.thumb.jpeg.5761f5b677953e12a5cae5609b6c1319.jpeg

Looking toward aft pool

0CB968E3-01D0-4F03-8355-57DA95E1065F.thumb.jpeg.9d8d7c49da5f3741f904b5ad169ae2e5.jpeg0CB968E3-01D0-4F03-8355-57DA95E1065F.thumb.jpeg.9d8d7c49da5f3741f904b5ad169ae2e5.jpeg

Life boats

28741338-C5CA-441D-9E97-F3A08EFF7E39.thumb.jpeg.7241e14d0e7a8d202431c71b606f3091.jpeg

• Like 3

Thank you for these posts.  

The Norway, January 4, 1992 sailing is what hooked me on cruising.   

Twenty two cruises later,  we still talk about our great waiter and table companions

I was so young, I knew very little about cruising for relied on travel guides 

Oh, if there were only cruise critic boards back then! 

• Like 1

We sailed on Norway in 1996.  It was a wonderful cruise in all respects.  When we disembarked, all 2,000+ pieces of luggage were in one pile in the terminal; no color coding or anything as they do now.  It took "a while" to retrieve ours.

• Like 1

I also remember skeet shooting. It’s the only time I’ve ever handled a real gun and it was quite fun!  I was not, however, ready for the recoil and ended up with a big bruise on the front of my shoulder.  It did t bother me too much until formal night and I changed into my strappy gown. Rut-roh. I tried to cover it with make up the best I could. 

• Like 1

Thank you for posting your memories of the S.S. Norway.  I never had the chance to sail on her but came close.  

Right before the news broke about the explosion,  my friend and I were about to call for reservations.

We felt so sad, about the loss of life aboard her.

• Like 1

As we can’t go very far at this time I am looking at all my cruise found one on the Norway we took the sailing on December 15 2002 was in cabin K012 .

In the afternoon we used to go and get ice cream before we went for a stroll.

One of the captain from another cruise line said she was one best never will be another like her.

christine

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone for this thread and sharing your pictures and memories. I never had the pleasure of sailing on the Norway, but my wife and her family did. What a great thread to peruse during this stressful time.

Thanks again everyone, well done!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oteixeira said:

Maybe we should start for Seaward and Westward as well?  I never sailed them but I sure am good at searching youtube.  LOL

Oooh, yes!!!  I was on the Seaward in the late 80's.....another fabulous NCL ship!   I've got photos......should we start a new thread? (perhaps under the 'What Ever Happened To" topic).  Loved watching the video posted previously of the Norway, especially watching the Chalks seaplane taking off from Government Cut next to the Norway.  Flew on them many times to go diving in the Bahamas from Miami.

Edited by Diver2014
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVED the S.S.Norway.  My first cruise on her was for my 10th wedding anniversary in 1980.  I have a framed poster of her that I am willing to GIVE to someone who LOVED the Norway as much as I did.  I am preparing to move to an independent living facility, and must do some serious downsizing.  If you would like my framed poster, send an email to jazzychris@comcast.net.  I'm getting rid of my computer soon, too.  

Oceandoll,  I am not long behind you in downsizing, so am not acquiring things anymore, however wish to say, thankyou for reviving this thread.  I too loved the the S.S.Norway, and was my first cruise ship, and cruise in October 1999.  Only reason I did not go back to Norwegian after that is because I started to cruise solo and got better deals on another line.  But I only have the best memories of the Norway.  Best wishes to you on your upcoming move and hoping that you are going to love it. 

Cruised on the SS Norway with my cousin in September 1983. We shared an interior room on the Biscayne Deck midship in a cabin that had bunk beds. I had the top bunk and my younger female cousin had the lower bunk. During the start of the cruise we met a young couple from the New Jersey shore who were one of the first grand prize winners of the New Jersey State Lottery. They had a large suite and almost every day during the sailing we met for champagne in their cabin before second seating dinner. During the cruise I met a pretty woman who was a travel agent from Louisville, Kentucky who was traveling with her mother. To this day we are still friends. Back then it was strictly a cash bar so you paid as you go. I spent a fortune on drinks that week. I also remember dancing in the disco when at 1:30AM staff would pass out sandwiches to all the passengers. Also during that week while swimming in the pool near the smoke stacks I met entertainer Vic Diamone. He was traveling that week on the ship with his family. That ship brings back memories! Can’t wait for the Coronavirus Pandemic to be over so that we can all return to the ships that we love!

Edited by Corby114

My first cruise on the Norway was back in the 80's, I was with a large group of UK travel agents. On the last night we ended up in the disco until late, we were introduced to a new drink called a " flaming guerillas tit"  Can't remember what was in it but it was 3 or 4 different alcoholic shots, topped with 151 rum which was set on fire.

Oh dear...... luckily we'd all gone back to our cabins pre midnight and put our bags out. I awoke the next morning still wearing last nights outfit..... minus my shoes. I searched high and low in the cabin. No sign of them. They could only be in the disco so I hurried along as last disembarkation was being called. It was locked !

I ran upto reception and explained my situation and to my relief they sent one of the staff back down with me and after a frantic search I found one of my shoes.

The second shoe was never seen again.

I limped off the ship virtually the last person to debark and was greeted by said group of UK travel agents. Oh how they laughed.

1 hour ago, simonaitch said:

My first cruise on the Norway was back in the 80's, I was with a large group of UK travel agents. On the last night we ended up in the disco until late, we were introduced to a new drink called a " flaming guerillas tit"  Can't remember what was in it but it was 3 or 4 different alcoholic shots, topped with 151 rum which was set on fire.

Oh dear...... luckily we'd all gone back to our cabins pre midnight and put our bags out. I awoke the next morning still wearing last nights outfit..... minus my shoes. I searched high and low in the cabin. No sign of them. They could only be in the disco so I hurried along as last disembarkation was being called. It was locked !

I ran upto reception and explained my situation and to my relief they sent one of the staff back down with me and after a frantic search I found one of my shoes.

The second shoe was never seen again.

I limped off the ship virtually the last person to debark and was greeted by said group of UK travel agents. Oh how they laughed.

Hahaha,

Sounds a good night, just in case you want to recreate the experience:

Gorilla's Tit

1 Part Kahlua

1 Part Yukon Jack

1 Part Bacardi 151

• Like 1

The Norway was my second cruise. We sailed on her in 2002.  It was suppose to be a 20th anniversary cruise but my husband was stationed overseas. Our first cruise was to celebrate our 10th anniversary.  We did not take our two daughters but promised the girls we would take them on a cruise for our 20th anniversary, so the girls and I went without my husband. All three of us fell in love with the ship.  My husband and I were to sail on her a few months after her accident.  I was so sad when we were not able to sail on her again.  She is still my favorite ship after quite a few cruises. Whe was a elegant and beautiful lady.