Are P&O in danger of going Broke

SHIPS CANARY

10 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

If they are the price of a second hand Kia, I will have one... 

Not sure how the neighbours would feel about Oceana being parked in my visitors bay though😊

Andy 

Oh are you buying Oceana? I'll have Aurora then. Not sure my neightbours will go for that either!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I didn't mean to sell them. If all cruise companies reduce their fleets there will no-one to buy them. Mothball them until the cruise industry recovers. 

Avril 

Ah, I see. I imagine that's pretty much what they will be doing, with just a skeleton crew to see to any necessary maintenance, and with the cabin stewards and the waiters all laid off. When this is all behind us, I suspect that recruiting sufficient crew could take a while and delay the return of ships into service.

24 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I should have gone for Aurora, but I like a project and Oceana is a 'doer-upper' 😊

Andy 

As you two have got in so quick, I best make a swift bid for Arcadia then or I will left shipless (and yes, I typed that very carefully...) 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Here is where the ships are heading.

P&O Cruises UK has detailed the status of its cruise fleet in a recent update.

• The Arcadia is en route to Southampton, due to arrive April 12. She will then berth in Southampton before relocating to Dover.
  • The Aurora arrived in Southampton on March 16 and is now en route to Dover where she will berth at Cruise Terminal 2. 
  • The Azura is in the Caribbean heading to Barbados. All guests will fly home on Friday or Saturday. The ship will then sail home to the UK with no guests. She will then berth in Southampton prior to relocating to Portland.
  • The Britannia is en route to Southampton, due to arrive March 25 and will berth at the Mayflower Terminal.
  • The Oceana arrived in Southampton on March 18 and is now berthed in Dover at Cruise Terminal 1.
  • The Ventura arrived in Southampton on March 17 and remains at the Ocean Terminal.
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I should have gone for Aurora, but I like a project and Oceana is a 'doer-upper' 😊

Andy 

You do realise Oceana is a grey import, steering wheel on the wrong side, dodgy foreign electrics and designed for somewhere where it doesn't rain?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

You do realise Oceana is a grey import, steering wheel on the wrong side, dodgy foreign electrics and designed for somewhere where it doesn't rain?

Sadly that goes for most of the cruise ships sailing ex UK... 🤔

21 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

Did a read somewhere she was supposed  to be a RCI ship?? I can't remember now. Some one will put me right I'm sure. 

Avril 

43 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Did a read somewhere she was supposed  to be a RCI ship?? I can't remember now. Some one will put me right I'm sure. 

Avril 

Oceana was built by Princess cruises for short 7day Caribbean cruises and was then transferred to P&O.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

She is the last of 4 Sun class ships designed and built for Princess Cruise line when it was owned by P&O before the Carnival takeover. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

She is the last of 4 Sun class ships designed and built for Princess Cruise line when it was owned by P&O before the Carnival takeover. 

Yes indeed - Sun, Sea, Dawn and Ocean Princesses.  Oceana was Ocean Princess and Sea Princess also joined P&O for a few years as Adonia.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CCFC said:

• The Arcadia is en route to Southampton, due to arrive April 12. She will then berth in Southampton before relocating to Dover.
  • The Aurora arrived in Southampton on March 16 and is now en route to Dover where she will berth at Cruise Terminal 2. 
  • The Azura is in the Caribbean heading to Barbados. All guests will fly home on Friday or Saturday. The ship will then sail home to the UK with no guests. She will then berth in Southampton prior to relocating to Portland.
  • The Britannia is en route to Southampton, due to arrive March 25 and will berth at the Mayflower Terminal.
  • The Oceana arrived in Southampton on March 18 and is now berthed in Dover at Cruise Terminal 1.
  • The Ventura arrived in Southampton on March 17 and remains at the Ocean Terminal.

Ventura has moved to Poole Anchorage until Wednesday so that Britannia can dock at Ocean Terminal.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Yes indeed - Sun, Sea, Dawn and Ocean Princesses.  Oceana was Ocean Princess and Sea Princess also joined P&O for a few years as Adonia.

Adonia was a Renaissance ship and much smaller than Oceana.  She was MInerva II for Swan Hellenic under P&O, then when Carnival took over they let Swan go and took it to Princess as 'Royal Princess'.  She then became Adonia (with a spell with Fathom) and is now Azamara Pursuit.

Minerva II was our first cruise ship and loved it, but did not like P&O's offerings with no open dining option.  Liked Azamara Pursuit last October when we got a very good deal on her.  We did not try the Princess version.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Oceana was built by Princess cruises for short 7day Caribbean cruises and was then transferred to P&O.

51 minutes ago, Britboys said:

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Thanks you three. I knew someone would know. Interesting when you see which ships were intended for other lines. I believe the current Arcadia was destined for Cunard. Might be wrong again though 😆.

Avril

29 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Thanks you three. I knew someone would know. Interesting when you see which ships were intended for other lines. I believe the current Arcadia was destined for Cunard. Might be wrong again though 😆.

Avril

I think she was destined to be Queen Victoria, then Cunard decided she wasn't right for them.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, tring said:

Adonia was a Renaissance ship and much smaller than Oceana.  She was MInerva II for Swan Hellenic under P&O, then when Carnival took over they let Swan go and took it to Princess as 'Royal Princess'.  She then became Adonia (with a spell with Fathom) and is now Azamara Pursuit.

Minerva II was our first cruise ship and loved it, but did not like P&O's offerings with no open dining option.  Liked Azamara Pursuit last October when we got a very good deal on her.  We did not try the Princess version.

The Adonia you are talking about was, to the best of my knowledge, the second ship to be called Adonia by P&O in relatively recent years.  The first was  Sea Princess and IIRC, she was Adonia between 2003 & 2005.  At the time, Oceana and Adonia were known as the White Sisters I think.  I did a ship visit when they were both in Southampton.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I can't recall which way round it happened but I believe Arcadia was in line for both Cunard and Holland America.  Rumour had it that Cunard wanted a ship with more suites.  Holland America were very resistant (and to some degree still are) to larger ships - although of course Arcadia is no more than mid-sized nowadays...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CCFC said:

I have Fred Olsen's Balmoral, Blackwatch and Boudicca at  anchor just across from our house in the Forth

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, john watson said:

All businesses will take a massive hit with the virus not just cruise lines. World governments will tend to try and co-operate to try and recover after the crisis is over.

Regards John

They will. Even Tesco - when this dies down, or we all start acting sensibly, the supermarkets will be deserted.

1 hour ago, besberry said:

I think she was destined to be Queen Victoria, then Cunard decided she wasn't right for them.

I thought it was Cunard. That's why she has such a grand theatre. Shame the buffet is like a motorway cafe 

Avril