P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

28 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

23610F48-0E9F-4179-803B-C5285C855952.thumb.jpeg.e14e67f8e591c48ea6d4b80e596d37b7.jpegNorwegian Prima, on her maiden voyage apparently, docked in Portland today

Not pretty, is she, but I bet the interior and facilities are good

Not a lot of public open space for all those people

Reminds me of this :classic_unsure:

1231592153_shipshoe.jpg.b479abf57681beec31e242a28a1b4c7a.jpg😁😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, AnnieC said:

I keep reading about the miraculous qualities of air fryers so thought I'd ask on here if anyone has one, if so, what they use it for, and are they all they're cracked up to be?

I'm absolutely the last person to give advice on cooking appliances, but I excel at testing the results!

My wife is very much the expert here, and she does take cooking very seriously.  Main ovens and hob extremely carefully chosen for performance - likewise the air fryer which she didn't initially want but was persuaded by various reviews she'd read.

She chose this one:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-Rotisserie-Digital-Dehydrate-VDF127/dp/B09437HXR8/

We have quite a lot of Sage stuff, it's very good, and it's made by Breville.  That came into the choice, but it was its versatility that made the decision.  

She's very impressed with it and uses it instead of the main oven for anything that will fit in it.  There are usually just the two of us, so that's not a problem.  What she really likes is the speed at which it heats up, ready to use.  Energy costs obviously also a lot lower.  Great rotisserie which will take a small chicken.  Also does chips extremely well, because it tumbles them in a rotating basket and allows any excess oil to drip off (as with the chickens).  Good jacket potatoes, good for anything, really - basically it's a small fan oven with a rotisserie.  Sunday morning croissants - perfect!

It's used far, far more than she expected because it's much more an oven than a 'fryer' so the description's perhaps a bit misleading.  Essentially, if it fits into it, it goes in there rather than the oven.  She commented the other day that if it were a choice between that and the microwave, the microwave would go (I'm not so sure - I've been a huge fan of those since the very first we bought from Comet in Bristol in 1979 when everyone who came into the kitchen thought it was a TV!).

You'll have guessed from the above that she's a huge fan.  Miraculous?  No - but they are very highly functional if you get one that suits you.

My wife's just come in from the garden and recommended this book if you're interested:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Air-fryer-Cookbook-healthy-delicious-beginners/dp/1788794249/

PS - the chips are excellent!  😉

Edited by Harry Peterson
Book added
  • Like 7

36 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

23610F48-0E9F-4179-803B-C5285C855952.thumb.jpeg.e14e67f8e591c48ea6d4b80e596d37b7.jpegNorwegian Prima, on her maiden voyage apparently, docked in Portland today

Just ghastly……but then I’m an Aurora fan!

• Like 4

I’ve been crafting today, used some of last years dried lavender & made a couple of big bags for ds to take back to Bournemouth ( he planted said lavender bushes a few years back & took a pillowcase with some in last year to make him feel at home) Then got a bit carried away & made a few small ones with pretty bits n bobs of material & ribbon, they look quite nice so I’ve put them in a basket with a sign £2 hand grown & made well some emmet might like one 😄

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

I'm no marine engineer, nor am I a doomster, but one day one of these things is going to fall over. I desperately hope I'm wrong.

The use marine engineers and architects to try and prevent that happening. 

3 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

It is Pretty……Pretty Ugly

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AnnieC said:

I keep reading about the miraculous qualities of air fryers so thought I'd ask on here if anyone has one, if so, what they use it for, and are they all they're cracked up to be?

We have looking at them in the last week, just being the 2 of us and heating the oven can anything up to 10 mins, we are probably going to decide whether to get one over the weekend.

3 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Looks a bit odd to me and like you say where is the outside deck space for all those people? 

It will be interesting to read the reviews

Michelle

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I'm absolutely the last person to give advice on cooking appliances, but I excel at testing the results!

My wife is very much the expert here, and she does take cooking very seriously.  Main ovens and hob extremely carefully chosen for performance - likewise the air fryer which she didn't initially want but was persuaded by various reviews she'd read.

She chose this one:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-Rotisserie-Digital-Dehydrate-VDF127/dp/B09437HXR8/

We have quite a lot of Sage stuff, it's very good, and it's made by Breville.  That came into the choice, but it was its versatility that made the decision.  

She's very impressed with it and uses it instead of the main oven for anything that will fit in it.  There are usually just the two of us, so that's not a problem.  What she really likes is the speed at which it heats up, ready to use.  Energy costs obviously also a lot lower.  Great rotisserie which will take a small chicken.  Also does chips extremely well, because it tumbles them in a rotating basket and allows any excess oil to drip off (as with the chickens).  Good jacket potatoes, good for anything, really - basically it's a small fan oven with a rotisserie.  Sunday morning croissants - perfect!

It's used far, far more than she expected because it's much more an oven than a 'fryer' so the description's perhaps a bit misleading.  Essentially, if it fits into it, it goes in there rather than the oven.  She commented the other day that if it were a choice between that and the microwave, the microwave would go (I'm not so sure - I've been a huge fan of those since the very first we bought from Comet in Bristol in 1979 when everyone who came into the kitchen thought it was a TV!).

You'll have guessed from the above that she's a huge fan.  Miraculous?  No - but they are very highly functional if you get one that suits you.

My wife's just come in from the garden and recommended this book if you're interested:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Air-fryer-Cookbook-healthy-delicious-beginners/dp/1788794249/

PS - the chips are excellent!  😉

Thanks Harry, a timely recommendation as we are looking into buying one. My sister in law uses hers all the time and has been demonstrating how good they are whilst we stayed with her for the last few days. 
One of her roles with the Citizens Advice Bureau is to act as an energy advisor and she was certain that it was helping keep her electric bills down by not using the oven as much.

44 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Maybe try a different air fryer. 

We have a ninja air fryer, grill, bake, roast cooker at out static caravan in order to limit the amount of expensive gas we would have to use for cooking. It is absolutely brilliant and far more economical than using either the cooker or hob. 

• Like 1

I wouldn’t be without my air fryer now and only had it for two weeks, it is a big one 5 ltr and a big square basket which is better than a round basket, much easier to put things into , also just had a smart meter installed yesterday and tested out the oven usage compared to the air fryer and way lower of course, cooking things frozen too is a bonus, I’m still learning and going to bake a cake in it this weekend. After reading many reviews and what was best for me and voted best from BBC good food I brought the 
COSORI xxl 5.5l oil free one from Amazon.

but I’m baffled how to cook paella in it though 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

Tonight is the last match in the ladies bowling league tonight and we are at home so have to supply a buffet.  I forgot that I am at the food bank today so it has been an early morning making sausage rolls so that they are cold before I need to put them in my carrying box.  Someone already has his instructions not to scoff any while I am out 😄

20220901_073207.thumb.jpg.7f61289b1fb8d914bbe1628fbc002560.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Given the cost of these airfryers, has anyone done the maths and worked out how long the payback will take ?

Just to answer my own question !

Under the new October price cap, an electric oven will cost roughly 50p an hour to run. (Obviously age of the cooker, oven size etc will have an impact). 

By buying a £150 air fryer, you will therefore get "payback" once you have not used your oven for 300 hours. But, obviously, the airfryer still consumes electricity, so, being conservative,  the payback period now increases to, say 350 hours.

We barely use our oven during the summer months,  but I estimate our usage is around 6 hours a week in the winter. So, from a personal point of view, our payback period would be around  two years. Obviously the quality of the food cooked by either method is subjective.

The most economical way of cooking is to use a slow cooker, but I imagine that the quality if fush and chips cooked this way would leave a lot to be desired ! 

• Like 1