P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, binman2 said:

Received xmas card from my cousin today date stamped 12/12/2022 first class stamp franked explaining about changing your old stamps for the new coded stamps 

by the 31st December think this has now being changed .So to get a card to travel 25 miles has taken 18 days can you beat that 

Same here my cousin post her card on 12 December, 2nd class arrived today, as did a card from my wife’s cousin post first class 22 December. We know why they are just getting through here, as Royal Mail suspended letter deliveries on 20 December in favour of delivering parcels. 

6 minutes ago, purplesea said:

It's nice to hear from you again Jane.

I'm sorry to hear that you have not been well but that you are on the road to recovery.

I  hope that the New Year is better for you.

Take care.

Pam 

Thank you very much Pam. I hope so too. I've got a good feeling that the dark days are fading. Jane.xx

• Like 4

8 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Yes, Funchal came out here at the start of December and then heading off to Lanzarote for another couple of months in the middle of January - winter in the UK doesn’t agree with me! Far sooner be sunning myself and pondering which of the many bars I will be visiting for lunch.

The town is certainly preparing for the big night, with stages being set up on the sea front and in the park overlooking the harbour. The dredger ships are moored outside the harbour being set up for the fireworks. All the bars are getting their outside beer pumps ready.

I have been in Funchal twice at New Year, once on a cruise, the Aurora 2013/2014 and once on a land holiday in 2003/2004, both times the celebrations were magnificent. Enjoy. 

• Like 1

Carrying on with our Movie week, tonight’s film was Fantastic Beasts : Secrets of Dumbledore, the final film of the Fantastic Beasts Trilogy and the prequels to the Harry Potter series. Special effects and CGI once again spectacular, filmed in the U.K., plus a few locations around the world.

Tomorrows film yet to be selected.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Same here my cousin post her card on 12 December, 2nd class arrived today, as did a card from my wife’s cousin post first class 22 December. We know why they are just getting through here, as Royal Mail suspended letter deliveries on 20 December in favour of delivering parcels. 

Slow Delivery Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStock

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

41 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Hello Everyone

Some of you may remember me but most of you won’t know me from Adam!

I'm Jane, who used to post quite regularly during Covid times, when I was working as a Practice Manager at a GP Practice. Sadly the NHS and I finally parted company, after 33 years, at the end of May.  My stress levels were out of control and I became quite (very on occasion) ill.  Long story short, I more or less withdrew from life. Took myself off all social media and quietly disappeared from everyone except my closest family. 

Happily, things are so much better now for me. I've been looking at CC and reading the boards for a few weeks now and I'm so glad to see that all my old friends are still active. It was however Avril's lovely post just before Christmas when she sent good wishes to all on the forum including those who no longer post. I thought - that's me! That gave me the impetus to say hello to you all again so ...hello!

I haven't cruised this year but have taken a couple of breaks in Southwold in Suffolk which is my happy place. I have booked for October '23 on Britannia -  so I can once more be a valid contributor to CC.

I wish you all, old friends and new, a very happy and healthy New Year.

With very best wishes to you all.

Jane. X

Jane - welcome back to your happy place !

We  have missed you. Hopefully you will have a glass or two  of  Adnams  when in Southwold. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Hello Everyone

I'm Jane, who used to post quite regularly during Covid times, when I was working as a Practice Manager at a GP Practice. Sadly the NHS and I finally parted company, after 33 years, at the end of May.  My stress levels were out of control and I became quite (very on occasion) ill.  Long story short, I more or less withdrew from life. Took myself off all social media and quietly disappeared from everyone except my closest family. 

Happily, things are so much better now for me. I've been looking at CC and reading the boards for a few weeks now and I'm so glad to see that all my old friends are still active. It was however Avril's lovely post just before Christmas when she sent good wishes to all on the forum including those who no longer post. I thought - that's me! That gave me the impetus to say hello to you all again so ...hello!

I haven't cruised this year but have taken a couple of breaks in Southwold in Suffolk which is my happy place. I have booked for October '23 on Britannia -  so I can once more be a valid contributor to CC.

Jane. X

I remember you well Jane and your trials at the practice before you left. Good that you have come through your bad times and are looking forward to the future. Glad to see you back and posting. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Hello Everyone

Jane. X

Welcome back Jane it’s lovely to here from you again you were missed by all on here .

Sorry to hear you’ve not been to well , but now you’re feeling much better and even booked a cruise for this year ( I think I can get away with that because it’s so close now) I too don’t post every day but I read everything at night and during the night keeping in touch and up to date with this happy bunch , it’s nice to hear from you again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good to see you back at "the happy place"  Jane (well 99% of the time!  Except when someone goes on the naughty step. 🙂🤣!)

I'm  gad they let us keep this thread and the support and friendships can continue.

Really glad you are ok now.  Best wishes for 2023.. I think we could all do with a good year.

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@Beckett it was such a lovely start to a rather early morning  (courtesy of Freddie the dog wanting to check his perimeter at 5am) and to see your post from yesterday evening.

Im sorry to hear you haven’t had the best year, but hope that you are now looking forward to 2023 - we are all so pleased to see you back here again.

Gill x

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Beckett said:

Hello Everyone

Jane. X

Hello Jane! So pleased to hear from you, I was only thinking about you the other day ☺️

I often only pop in once a week now as life gets in the way but I’m so glad I choose today to do so!

I’m booked on Britannia in October but sadly will almost definitely be cancelling it. 
Look forward to hearing from you more this year, take care x

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On the subject of post I finally had 6 more Christmas card’s yesterday- most had no franking on but one was stamped the 14th December, it’s an hour away by car it was posted from!!

I had my sister’s card and John’s brother’s and one of my oldest friends. Just one more old friend to go and I’ll be happy!

• Like 1

A Happy New Year to you all - here's hoping it is a better one for everyone.

Glad to see you back, Jane.  I had a bad year as well, losing my husband last Christmas, but sometimes beginning to feel that things are looking up, and occasionally joining in here and looking at the 'funnies' posted and everyone's news helps a  lot. 

I have a few Christmas cards missing too, of course.  The good thing is if they don't appear you will never know if people didn't send you one, or they just got lost!  So fewer possible ill feelings this time.

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

While I’m here this morning I’ll just elaborate on my post from a couple of weeks ago about my parents. They weren’t ill this time but had a crash in their car!! I was so cross with them though as they had been to visit my Aunt  in Folkestone which is an hour away and it happened two days after all the snow arrived!

As you can imagine I hadn’t wanted them to go but my mum is so stubborn and my Dad just tends to go along with whatever she wants.

luckily they were near home when it happened. My mum phoned me ‘we’ve had a crash and Dad chest hurts’ This was about 6pm. At about 7pm they arrived at our local hospital, taken there ‘as a precaution’ and they didn’t get home until nearly 2am! They still haven’t had their possessions from inside the car returned to them yet including my mum’s disability badge and my dad’s walking sticks!

EDIT - my Dad’s chest hurt because of the air bag going off but as he’s under the care of the Heart Failure nurses you can see why I was alarmed!

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 11

11 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I'm afraid us 'oldies' can be a stubborn pain in the neck.  In a way it is a good sign, of grit and determination, but I know it can cause grief for the next generation.

I know what you mean but so many of my friends have said to me ‘why on earth did they go out in that weather!’  Only that day I was talking to a patient on  the phone and he was cancelling his appointment as he was ‘ 80 and wasn’t setting foot out the door in this weather!! ‘ I wanted to ask him to have a word with my parents!

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Beckett said:

Hello Everyone

Jane. X

Hi Jane - great to see you back again, but so sorry to hear of the background.  With you entirely on Southwold though!  Lovely place to relax, along with various other places on the bit of coast.  Having lived in Ipswich for a while and met my wife there I really miss it.

Being a Practice Manager was never easy, but Covid and all the appalling anti-GP propaganda in papers like the Mail and the Telegraph must have made it almost impossible.  I doubt you miss it now, and I'm relieved you were able to get out.  It makes me absolutely livid to read all the garbage about lazy GPs hiding away from patients - just to try to conceal the real reasons for the problems.  Those two papers in particular have made things far, far worse, by making GP recruitment and retention that much more difficult.  Anyone with any knowledge whatever of doctors - and nurses and other medical and support staff - knows how hard they work, how enormous the problems are, and what the real cause of the serious problems is.

I hope things continue to improve for you, and you've got that cruise to look forward to too!  And Southwold (though the fish and chips are better at Aldeburgh, eaten on the beach of course!).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2