P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

24 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Here’s a slight change of tack, but a food related one.  

And a question - does the word Pobs mean anything to you? 

Oh yes, given to me as a child if I were unwell.  Fond memories of 'milk pobs' and 'tea pobs' (less frequently offered).  White bread, with sugar, soaked in hot milk.  I'm pretty sure my 42 year old son wouldn't have a clue what they were, so I obviously didn't carry this on 😉

And I was brought up in the north west, so maybe it is regional?

• Like 4

First time I heard of them was when I was drinking a hot Oxo cube drink and

a uncle said "Do you want pobs innit"?"

As Lincs Lady said normally milk warmed with bits of bread torn up into it.

I haven't had it with milk but used Oxo a lot and have been known to rip a slice of bread

into a bowl of soup .

Long time since I heard the word pobs though. A blast from the past .

• Like 3

Anyone got any advice on what to do with old pre-decimal coins?  I'm having a clear out and it's time my old mum's (died almost 40 years ago!) handbag full of old coins left the house.

I know they are not worth anything and are a mix of half-crowns, two shillings, shillings and lots of copper coins. They weigh a ton and I read somewhere that charity shops accept them, but I don't want to lug them around if it's no longer true.  If so, I might just as well pass them on to DH to take to the tip; I'm assuming there's a facility for disposal of scrap metal.

Anyone know if charity shops do take them please?  Thanks

2 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Anyone got any advice on what to do with old pre-decimal coins?  I'm having a clear out and it's time my old mum's (died almost 40 years ago!) handbag full of old coins left the house.

I know they are not worth anything and are a mix of half-crowns, two shillings, shillings and lots of copper coins. They weigh a ton and I read somewhere that charity shops accept them, but I don't want to lug them around if it's no longer true.  If so, I might just as well pass them on to DH to take to the tip; I'm assuming there's a facility for disposal of scrap metal.

Anyone know if charity shops do take them please?  Thanks

According to the Bank of England website, some banks will still take old coins (but it doesn't say which). 

This might also help:  https://www.rnib.org.uk/get-involved/fundraise/do-your-own-fundraising/foreign-and-old-currency/

They obviously do have some value still - surprising!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

I am officially an old duffer today, I got my bus pass last month so that was a start. 

Happy Birthday Phil ,enjoy your bus pass 🙂

There was a retired man  that took the bus every day and always bought two tickets.
The bus driver intrigued one day decided to ask. . . 
"why do you always buy two tickets" and the man said
" well its simple I put one ticket in my left pocket and one in my right that way if

I lose one I still have the other " 

So the driver asks. . . " And what if you lose both tickets?" 

He just smiled and said .. " Oh don't worry I have a bus pass "🤣

• Haha 7

19 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s interesting. The OED lists it as:

“English regional (chiefly northern and midlands).”

I’ve only known the word from my Yorkshire father, a long time ago, but we were in the south at the time and it was unheard of. I suspect it still is - time for a bit of levelling up in Tunbridge Wells I think………

Harry,  I don't think those effete Southerners would willingly have anything to do with it.  Let's face it was very cheap and cheerful, and not very nice either.  I must ask my 'children', pretty sure they won't have heard of it.  I certainly never made it for them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, lincslady said:

Harry,  I don't think those effete Southerners would willingly have anything to do with it.  Let's face it was very cheap and cheerful, and not very nice either.  I must ask my 'children', pretty sure they won't have heard of it.  I certainly never made it for them.

This is true.  Though a bit of marketing, a few influencers and a revamp might just see a nationwide chains of Pobs Bars springing up across the country.  Cheap ingredients, filling, high margins, side sales of tea, coffee etc.......a sure-fire win!

Think 'Harry's Pobs Bar' - Gen Z's Billy's Baked Potato!  I'm off to the Patent Office!  😀

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

This is true.  Though a bit of marketing, a few influencers and a revamp might just see a nationwide chains of Pobs Bars springing up across the country.  Cheap ingredients, filling, high margins, side sales of tea, coffee etc.......a sure-fire win!

Think 'Harry's Pobs Bar' - Gen Z's Billy's Baked Potato!  I'm off to the Patent Office!  😀

Think this guy beat you to it Harry ... ConcernedSpecificGelada-max-1mb.gif.3a5279b7a901b872c29791bd35833c7f.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, pete14 said:

I read yesterday that in some court papers relating to an upcoming case involving Harry and Meghan in USA, Harry is referred to as Prince Harry of England. 

I was very, very tempted to say something, but may get put on the naughty step  ........

• Like 3

I was brought up on bread and milk and I'm from Honor Oak,  Dulwich, South London.  My daughters had zuppa (sic) when at their Italian Nan's which is the same but with coffee in it.  My daughter still has it when she needs comfort food.

After reading about it on here I bought some Gary Barlow organic wine.  I like it.  I think I'll have another glass🤣

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I was very, very tempted to say something, but may get put on the naughty step  ........

At least when you are in your Welsh paradise, he would have no jurisdiction over you - not that he does anyway 😊🥴

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Our South America tour is progressing well so far with Rio, aguassa falls, Buenos Aires, Montevideo and Patagonia ticked off so far. Day at sea today and arriving in the falklands tomorrow. The weather forecast is looking breezy but not too windy but captain is already setting the seed that it is not always possible to tender ashore, fingers crossed we are able to. We received an email today saying that Machu Picchu may be opening up from next week and we are due there in 11 days time, but we’ll see.

We have been impressed with our cruise on Sapphire Princess so far. Good staffing levels, very helpful and friendly staff, food good, the odd clitch with being charged for drinks when we are on the package but quickly sorted at guest services. Very few are wearing masks and this is my first cruise since covid that I feel that things are back to normal 🤞

Corrections: sowing the seed not setting the seed and glitch not clitch. Blame it on lunchtime cocktails 🥂

Also cabin is attended twice a day with turndown service but no chocolate left on pillow though.

• Like 4

Good evening friends.

We have just got home after 14 nights away.

We were on RCL Oasis of the seas doing a 7 night Caribbean cruise visiting.

Coco cay RCL private island in the Bahamas.

Cozumel Mexico.

Roatan Honduras.

Costa Maya Mexico.

We also had several nights pre and post cruise in a hotel in South beach Miami.

IMG_20230130_074042.jpg

IMG_20230204_145618.jpg

IMG_20230201_114247.jpg

IMG_20230131_095735.jpg

IMG_20230129_122002.jpg

IMG_20230129_113019.jpg

IMG_20230203_134202.jpg

IMG_20230129_113007.jpg

IMG_20230207_174948.jpg

IMG_20230206_113504.jpg

IMG_20230207_174948.jpg

IMG_20230206_110135.jpg

IMG_20230206_113504.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 14

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening friends.

Cozumel Mexico.

Roatan Honduras.

Costa Maya Mexico.

IMG_20230130_074042.jpg

IMG_20230204_145618.jpg

IMG_20230201_114247.jpg

IMG_20230131_095735.jpg

IMG_20230129_122002.jpg

IMG_20230129_113019.jpg

IMG_20230203_134202.jpg

IMG_20230129_113007.jpg

Welcome home --- how do you find those ships? They just look toooooo big for us and as far way from my idea of P&0. (Then again, PO seems to be far away from what I think of PO so not sure if that makes sense any more!)

You seem to have had a great holiday --- I just want to know how you both cruise so much, have so many amazing meals and don't look like a beached whale? I am very jealous as I only have to LOOK at your photos and gain a pound!!! 

😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wow that looks like a city, Graham.  I bet you didn't see many people twice.

On the subject of Pobs - why not restaurants serving just that, with variations.  It seems the latest gimmick in high end London restaurants is tinned fish, sometimes actually served in the tin.  I reckon they might be daft enough to pay good money for Pobs - after all they did for cornflakes places not so long ago. Any of you enterprising enough to have a try?  Can't wait for Giles Coren's review in The Times.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening friends.

Cozumel Mexico.

Roatan Honduras.

Costa Maya Mexico.

IMG_20230130_074042.jpg

IMG_20230204_145618.jpg

IMG_20230201_114247.jpg

IMG_20230131_095735.jpg

IMG_20230129_122002.jpg

IMG_20230129_113019.jpg

IMG_20230203_134202.jpg

IMG_20230129_113007.jpg

IMG_20230207_174948.jpg

IMG_20230206_113504.jpg

IMG_20230207_174948.jpg

IMG_20230206_110135.jpg

IMG_20230206_113504.jpg

How fantastic for you!! Hope you both had a lovely time.

Love the Oasis class ships. Unfortunately our Oasis cruise in 2019 was cancelled because of an accident with a crane in dry dock.

You just cannot believe how many people are on there because it feels empty sometimes 

Michelle

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Welcome home --- how do you find those ships? They just look toooooo big for us and as far way from my idea of P&0. (Then again, PO seems to be far away from what I think of PO so not sure if that makes sense any more!)

You seem to have had a great holiday --- I just want to know how you both cruise so much, have so many amazing meals and don't look like a beached whale? I am very jealous as I only have to LOOK at your photos and gain a pound!!! 

😉

The Oasis class ships are amazing.

We have been on Harmony twice,Allure and Oasis once.

We had dinner,3 times in Giovanni's and 3 times in 150 Central park and Dinner once in chops grill.

IMG_20230204_155616.jpg

IMG_20230204_154635.jpg

IMG_20230204_153035.jpg

IMG_20230204_150157.jpg

IMG_20230204_150219.jpg

IMG_20230203_134412.jpg

IMG_20230203_102047.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Have to say I think the best meal we have ever had was on the IOS for my 50th. Think it was Chops Grill but may have been the other one ???? It was amazing. 

Some of our meals this week.

IMG_20230204_122945.jpg

IMG_20230204_181319.jpg

IMG_20230204_181300.jpg

IMG_20230204_180006.jpg

IMG_20230201_065855.jpg

IMG_20230131_181136.jpg

IMG_20230131_124457.jpg

IMG_20230130_185622.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Have to say I think the best meal we have ever had was on the IOS for my 50th. Think it was Chops Grill but may have been the other one ???? It was amazing. 

Lunch today 3 courses.

09C668AD-10F7-4A36-BF56-C6F61FF891E1.jpeg

9A644029-3F87-4354-A738-A8F5EB5BB010.jpeg

8E873FFA-20E6-446A-B3A3-94BFE09DB16D.jpeg

• Like 13

Morning everyone ,hope everyone's doing fine today🙂

Looking above I thought I'd logged into Jamie Olivers  website, all that modern food.

Not a Pob in site either . . . . Not like eating in the 1950's is it ? 

Eating in the 1950's 
Some of us will remember ,to others, take it as a look back in our food history
and how times and eating have changed since then .
To those who remember enjoy this trip down memory lane . . . . 
1- Pasta pot noodles had not been invented .
2- Curry was a surname.
3-A takeaway was a mathematical problem.
4-A pizza was something to do with a leaning tower.
5-All potato crisps were plain; the only choice we had was whether to put the salt on or not.
6-Rice was only eaten as a milk pudding.
7-Calamari was called squid and we used it as fish bait.
8-A Big Mac was what we wore when it was raining.
9-Brown bread was something only poor people ate.
10-Oil was for lubricating, fat was usedfor cooking.
11-Tea was made in a teapot using tea leaves and never green.
12-Sugar enjoyed a good press in those days, and was regarded as being white gold. 
13-Cubed sugar was regarded as posh.
14-Fish didn’t have fingers in those days.
15-Eating raw fish was called poverty, not sushi.
16-None of us had ever heard of yoghurt.
17-Healthy food consisted of anything edible.
18-People who didn’t peel potatoes were regarded as lazy.
19-Cooking outside was called camping.
20-Seaweed was not a recognised food.
21-“Kebab” was not even a word, never mind a food.
22-Prunes were medicinal.
23-Surprisingly, muesli was readily available, it was called cattle feed.
24-Water came out of the tap. If someone had suggested bottling it and charging more than petrol for it, they would have become a laughing stock!
25-And the things that we never ever had on our table in the 50s and 60s was ..
Elbows or phones!

🙂Have a good day 

• Like 11
  • Haha 6