P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Much nicer in Dorset - beautiful county, with delightful towns. We still have a spinning wheel which my wife bought in Dorchester when we lived in Somerset. And a lot of happy memories.

I wondered why your yarns are so entertaining.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

plus I have decided to grow cucumbers again this year, at least with my own I don’t have the fight with the plastic wrapper on them. 

To be fair, I saw a TV programme recently where it was explained that the plastic wrapping on cucumbers massively extended the shelf life. Seems like a necessary evil.

Broccoli is readily available in all our local supermarkets.

Being controversial, why do you need cucumber and lettuce in February ? Eat seasonally.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

To be fair, I saw a TV programme recently where it was explained that the plastic wrapping on cucumbers massively extended the shelf life. Seems like a necessary evil.

Being controversial, why do you need cucumber and lettuce in February ? Eat seasonally.

I think shops should highlight what is seasonal (and preferably locally grown) on the shelf so people can make that choice. I don’t think many folks are actually fully aware of what is in season.

Add to that the fact that the big 4 supermarkets don’t always sell seasonal goods. I don’t for example see Kale available.

The price of food in season also used to be lower but that doesn’t seem to happen now either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

I think shops should highlight what is seasonal (and preferably locally grown) on the shelf so people can make that choice. I don’t think many folks are actually fully aware of what is in season.

Add to that the fact that the big 4 supermarkets don’t always sell seasonal goods. I don’t for example see Kale available.

The price of food in season also used to be lower but that doesn’t seem to happen now either.

How are you this morning?

• Like 1

Good Morning Everyone

@Eglesbrech and @Adawn47and Frank. I hope you are all feeling a bit better this morning. This virus thing seems to be particularly virulent, long-lasting, and very unpleasant. I wish you all an albeit slow recovery but take care - and please don't take any chances with those lungs Eglesbrech.

Well as you can see I'm still alive and well after my driving experience with my grandaughter yesterday. Actually it was fine and on the whole I felt very comfortable driving with her. She is having proper lessons and me taking her out is in addition to give her some practice. As an old git driver I didn't have to take the theory test - don't know if I'd pass it now.

There's a lot of car-related activity going on down here at the moment because of the forthcoming expansion of the ULEZ zone into the outer regions of the M25 - courtesy of Mayor Khan who can probably afford a top of the range electric car. Others are not so fortunate and the cost of second hand cars that fit the brief is sky-rocketing. 

I so enjoyed our meanderings down memory lane yesterday. It seems many of us were so near to each other in the early days.

Right I'd better get on and prepare my turnip casserole!

Have a good Sunday everyone.

Best wishes always.

Jane xxx

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Right I'd better get on and prepare my turnip casserole!

Also remember to go easy on the tomatoes as our supermarkets are rationing them due

to a shortage in the supply chain .

Meanwhile somewhere in Spain 😲

65478-60f98211-24ff-4fd5-957d-de4e9ed81f9b.jpg.e60214233faa22227d22e305b109d171.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

Good morning everyone.

I hope you're well and or on the road to recovery for those of you that are poorly.

Had an interesting conversation with a lady in the frozen food aisle yesterday regarding cruising. She used to work for P&O and her daughter works on the Disney ships. 

Busy day ahead for me today, as I must get packed for our trip away tomorrow.  I've not got to cook as we are going round to my daughter's for a roast dinner later, and my grandaughter is making pudding.

Hope you all enjoy your Sunday.

Pam 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Because a ham salad sandwich without the salad is not the same. 

I was picking my own lettuce until mid December, I usually grow winter lettuce in the greenhouse, but the increase cost of heating it meant I haven’t been able to this year,

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Sainsbury’s sell Kale, we brought some a few weeks ago to go with a sausage casserole recipe we were trying. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Because a ham salad sandwich without the salad is not the same. 

True , a ham salad sandwich without the salad is a ham sandwich 😉

I think our country could do better growing our own lettuce etc. 

Same as others I have ate salads all year round from being a kid growing up.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

True , a ham salad sandwich without the salad is a ham sandwich 😉

I think our country could do better growing our own lettuce etc. 

Same as others I have ate salads all year round from being a kid growing up.

There was a farmer bloke on the telly this morning saying just that.He said we have loads of scope for growing more of our own stuff.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Ham and broccoli sandwich anyone ? 

• Haha 5