P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Sounds like they may have mis-priced and you've been lucky.  Filled the car up today with E5 petrol "Ultimate" at 159.9p.  E10 was 140.9.  Diesel was I think 6p more than E10 petrol.

We had a fill up before we left the hotel in Studland...£15 for 2.🥳

20230517_131316.jpg

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

From what I can see prices are 3 or 4p a litre dearer than I currently pay, but it’s the extortionate ferry costs that need to be looked at. Are the 2 main operators running a cartel, perhaps a CMA investigation is required or open it up to other providers.

I know - the ferries are extortionate - I travel as a foot passenger one day a week for work.  Our MP is meant to be looking into & liaising with the ferry companies but it's just so expensive to take a car on/off the island

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It was a Tesco filing station, and just done about 10 miles back to the holiday cottage without so much as a stutter, so I assume it was the pukka stuff.  I paid 155.9 p per litre just over a week ago back in Huddersfield, and not seen anything on the news about a sudden drop. Could it be tractor juice they sell over here.

Looks like you found a good place for diesel, John - 135.9 seems to be the standard price in Mablethorpe.  2021 vintage.

TESCO MABLETHORPE (18)
Address: PETER CHAMBERS WAY, LN12 1FN

UNLEADED  143.9p
Last updated: 17.05.2023

DIESEL  135.9p
Last updated: 17.05.2023

16 minutes ago, BrianI said:

145p for petrol and 149p for diesel in Warwickshire 

Brian

Our cheapest petrol is 139.9 at a Texaco.

If out and about we use petrolprices.com to find who's charging what .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I have just paid 135.9p for diesel in Mablethorpe which was 8p per litre cheaper than petrol. Is this just local or is this price now UK  wide?

Diesel £151.9.

Petrol £1.41.9 at my local garage.

The last time I got on a council bus was 25 years ago as I prefer to drive.

We got some snacks from M&S today and took them to the beach for 3 hours.

IMG_20230518_135111.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Our cheapest petrol is 139.9 at a Texaco.

If out and about we use petrolprices.com to find who's charging what .

Update  our local Morrisons is 140.7  and Mrs K has got a 5p off per litre off from our 

online shopping , so that will do us nicely .

• Like 6

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Diesel £151.9.

Petrol £1.41.9 at my local garage.

The last time I got on a council bus was 25 years ago as I prefer to drive.

We got some snacks from M&S today and took them to the beach for 3 hours.

IMG_20230518_135111.jpg

Most bus services are in private hands following deregulation in 1986.

2 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

Tennis fans... Rafael has pulled out of the French Open and has said that he will probably retire in 2024. Cant see him playing at Wimbledon. What no Fed and no Rafa??

Am showing my age when I say that to me it has never been the same since Bjorn Borg .... amazing times. Ps if it isn't the right spelling sorry .. you know who  I mean.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, davecttr said:

They had information screens at all major bus stops in Medway. They have not worked properly for years. They removed my local ones last week because they don't work. I expect that they think everyone has a smart phone so can access a map showing real time information for the buses.

When I used to pick my grandson up by bus it was a nightmare. The bus I use is supposed to be every 10 minutes but I often waited half an hour! I ended up downloading the app but even that didn’t have the right information.

I had to get to the bus stop about half an hour earlier than I should have.

Edited by P&O SUE

A very early morning to you all, having another spell of not sleeping well at the moment 😒

Luckily I’m working from home today which means my alarm goes off an hour later, hopefully I’ll get back to sleep in a while.

We had a lovely holiday on the IOW when our son was about 5. We had a heatwave. We had the ferry included as we were in some sort of chalet place.

we did the Castle and Osbourne house. My son’s favourite was of course the dinosaurs at Black Gang Chine!

When just the two of us went to Guernsey in 2008 we got a good deal including the ferry, when we went last year I found it cheaper to book our hotel and the ferry separately.

• Like 6

On 5/17/2023 at 5:34 PM, SarahHben said:

Portsmouth is the closest for us, but when we went to I of W in ‘21 we booked a WightLink ferry but they changed our booking the day before to a 3am crossing 😳 My husband cancelled the ferry booking and made a new one with Red Funnel and vowed to never use WightLink again … until he saw this year’s prices 😂

We’re intending to visit Jane Austen’s house on the way to Portsmouth, then do some shopping at Gunwharf in the morning before meeting up with eldest daughter & her family and getting the ferry.

We’re staying at The Lakes Rookley and got a discount on WightLink crossing 

When we go (hopefully ) on our short cruise in June we’ve booked the Holiday Inn at Gunwharf quays the night before. We were supposed to go last year for two nights but I cancelled it and it was also the Queen’s funeral. Haven’t been to Gunwharf for ages but I really like it , lots to do. Going up the Spinaker Tower is great!

Thought it would be a change from staying in Southampton and as embarkation times are supposed to be strictly enforced now it ‘wastes’ a bit of time in the morning!

• Like 6

We are in Busan, South Korea today,just completed our tour. The cruise is great so far, everything we expected from Cunard. The ship has recently had the public area's refitted. Food is excellent so far,and they serve tea and coffee in the Lido. Catch up later.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

We are in Busan, South Korea today,just completed our tour. The cruise is great so far, everything we expected from Cunard. The ship has recently had the public area's refitted. Food is excellent so far,and they serve tea and coffee in the Lido. Catch up later.

Sounds brilliant so far Phil. Hope you and Mrs YP keep on enjoying your adventure. I'm so tempted to go back to Cunard! Jane xx

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Am showing my age when I say that to me it has never been the same since Bjorn Borg .... amazing times. Ps if it isn't the right spelling sorry .. you know who  I mean.

Didn't you like bonking Boris?(Becker not Johnson).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Sorry Phil,I thought you were boarding on the 25th and ending in Alaska,enjoy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

When we go (hopefully ) on our short cruise in June we’ve booked the Holiday Inn at Gunwharf quays the night before. We were supposed to go last year for two nights but I cancelled it and it was also the Queen’s funeral. Haven’t been to Gunwharf for ages but I really like it , lots to do. Going up the Spinaker Tower is great!

Thought it would be a change from staying in Southampton and as embarkation times are supposed to be strictly enforced now it ‘wastes’ a bit of time in the morning!

Sounds a great idea to go to Gunwharf the night before, Sue. Which ship are you going on? 

When I used to pick my grandson up by bus it was a nightmare. The bus I use is supposed to be every 10 minutes but I often waited half an hour! I ended up downloading the app but even that didn’t have the right information.

I had to get to the bus stop about half an hour earlier than I should have.

I have started to use bustimesdotorg a web site not an app. I check if the bus i want to catch has just left Chatham by looking on the map. The bus icons are colour coded by company . I click on the 132 icon and from there you get the bus info. At least you know that one is running.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is it easy to get from Portsmouth to Southampton? I could travel there by train a couple of days early and visit the sights before travelling to Southampton for the cruise.

14 hours ago, Sarah1974 said:

I know - the ferries are extortionate - I travel as a foot passenger one day a week for work.  Our MP is meant to be looking into & liaising with the ferry companies but it's just so expensive to take a car on/off the island

Managed to book ferry via cottage owners trade account £52.40 each way, as opposed £109 each way without trade account. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Is it easy to get from Portsmouth to Southampton? I could travel there by train a couple of days early and visit the sights before travelling to Southampton for the cruise.

We will be going by car but I’ve just had a quick look and from Portsmouth harbour it’s 45 minutes by train to Southampton.

• Thanks 1