P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Started off misty here, they were scheduled to lift the top section of the replacement mast at Emley Moor using a helicopter which I think may have been delayed, but has now been removed before the steel work is taken down. We soon won't be able to refer to it as the two towers. It is crackin t'flags now so all is well. 

• Like 10

Carcassonne is certainly very picturesque, but not sure how much is original.  It was rebuilt extensively by Viollet-le-Duc in possibly the 19th century?

Port Vendres, next to Collioure is another lovely little town, slightly less touristy.  If we were ever going to buy a  French holiday home, that is where it would have been.  I still look up property for sale there now and again!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Carcassonne is certainly very picturesque, but not sure how much is original.  It was rebuilt extensively by Viollet-le-Duc in possibly the 19th century?

Port Vendres, next to Collioure is another lovely little town, slightly less touristy.  If we were ever going to buy a  French holiday home, that is where it would have been.  I still look up property for sale there now and again!

Many years ago we stayed in Argiles. You are right about Carcassonne, but it's still older than us, so qualifies as ancient.🤣

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

This is the second time I wrote this so if it’s turned up somewhere else my apologies 😂. We had a very good sunny hot day in Cadiz yesterday , this time we docked somewhere different from where we docked 10 years ago, we have already walked along and around the sea wall along the beach and back through the beautiful garden so this time we explored the town and went to some cathedrals and churches and a ancient anthem theatre and some wine shopping 😉 we got back on ship after walking for 4 hours that was enough for me so we had a light lunch and sat on top deck and had a swim to cool down but it became too hot for us so we went to our cabin and watched a film and snoozed , got ready early for dinner and went and sat at the wakeview bar for the sail and a couple of margaritas, then we visited the cocktail bar and sat chatting to some lovely Americans.

Dinner in the mdr has been lovely and hot and we seem to get a lovely table with a sea view every night and a lovely waiter, there is only about 5 tables in the side bit so is much quieter than being in the middle of the dining room which can be quite noisy. 
Today we are sat in the sanctuary and a slight breeze is keeping us cool , we are very very happy we managed to bag the sanctuary beds for the full sea days we booked because it’s a bum fight out there and it was early this morning and no one could find a sunbed by 9 o’clock. Just waiting for our lunch to arrive now , a few pictures of Cadiz and our view in the sanctuary.IMG_4006.thumb.jpeg.db7f6b84a3422cfa5cab8b9bd38c3eb0.jpeg

IMG_3948.jpeg

IMG_3949.jpeg

IMG_3958.jpeg

IMG_3959.jpeg

IMG_3960.jpeg

IMG_3963.jpeg

IMG_3966.jpeg

IMG_3969.jpeg

IMG_3975.jpeg

IMG_3976.jpeg

IMG_3979.jpeg

IMG_3984.jpeg

IMG_3987.jpeg

IMG_3985.jpeg

IMG_3990.jpeg

IMG_3995.jpeg

IMG_3994.jpeg

IMG_3999.jpeg

IMG_4003.jpeg

IMG_4004.jpeg

IMG_4005.jpeg

IMG_4015.jpeg

IMG_4013.jpeg

IMG_4014.jpeg

IMG_4016.jpeg

Fantastic photos.

• Thanks 1

Currently 28C, gone up by 3 degrees in the last hour, probably even hotter on our south facing patio. 

I did a bit of gardening this morning, watered planters and baskets at 6:30 this morning by 8am I had deadheaded the flowers that needed it in the borders, disposed of the bolted lettuce into the compost bin, the second crop of Lollo Rosso is coming on well, should have a lettuce supply for next 2 months. The sun has been good for ripening the tomatoes in the greenhouse, many that were green last week are now red or turning red. 

By 10.00 am to warm to do anything strenuous in the garden, so completing new raised bed is on hold for a few more days. 

I guess need to enjoy it while it lasts, which looking at the forecast is until Sunday.

• Like 5

It has been a lovely day again, it is still 28 but I had to come inside this afternoon because the heat was too much for me.  I had a trip out to Bridgemere this morning but I was disappointed with the plants, they looked as if they were ready to give up and die although they had clearly  been watered.

• Like 2

I don’t know what else to add @Peanut006 about your grandson, how upsetting for you all. I hope he’s recovering well.

Very hot here again but by the time I walked 35 mins home from work, leaving at 1pm I was too hot to even think about sitting in the garden. Perhaps tomorrow I’ll get a bit of time outside before I have my haircut at 11 and start work at 1pm! My day off yesterday but spent most of it at my parent’s flat!

Take care all.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Went out for meal this evening to Zizzi’s, been over a year since our last visit and all didn’t go well.

Fitst they explains we should order via QR code on menu, tried that got message referring to the restaurant website as a malicious site (given the price increases that might be correct) so couldn’t order, manager said he had never seen that before, guess not tested against Norton security software and VPN it seems. So he had to take the order via his tablet, first drinks my wife wanted a mojito, sorry can’t do that we have no white rum, but could substitute with vodka! She opted for Aperol Spritz instead.My wife is gluten free, but as they had no gluten free bread she couldn’t have the bruschetta. Main course was fine although couple of options not available which she wouldn’t have had anyway. Dessert she had 3 choices the standard brownie (boring), a Marshmallow and salted caramel sundae with honeycomb pieces, bad news no marshmallows or vanilla ice cream, but could add chocolate ice cream instead and extra honeycomb. We both opted for this, but we’re disappointed the chocolate ice cream overwhelmed the salted caramel sauce and ice cream, plus additional honeycomb was stingy.

When I asked why so much was missing, he said they were missing from order when delivered, that is supply chain problems.

We said the reliance on technology must have made things more difficult, he said it had made it easier for him and his staff, I said it had made it more complicated for customers, we had a 25% discount voucher, which was accessible via app, but not the menu which you had to access via website, which was blocked for being malicious. 

Needless to say no tip was left and we probably won’t return. 

It will be interesting to complete the feedback survey later. 😉

• Like 10

Good Morning All

I hate this weather!

Cards on the table - I hate Summer generally. I'm a Winter girl and have always disliked heat throughout my life. Even on Summer cruises I've come back looking whiter than a full milk bottle!

Anyway, enough of my grizzling. How is everyone? I hope you're all coping with the heat. 

@grapau27 Never have I ever seen a temperature like that in Sunderland. When we used to travel up to visit relations on the August Bank Holiday weekend, and the last week of the school holidays, anoraks were the must-have things to pack!

@Peanut006 How's your lad Michelle?  I do hope he's not in too much pain and is feeling at least safe and a bit better at home.

Take care in this heat everyone. Be well. Best wishes. Jane xx

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning All

I hate this weather!

Cards on the table - I hate Summer generally. I'm a Winter girl and have always disliked heat throughout my life. Even on Summer cruises I've come back looking whiter than a full milk bottle!

Anyway, enough of my grizzling. How is everyone? I hope you're all coping with the heat. 

@grapau27 Never have I ever seen a temperature like that in Sunderland. When we used to travel up to visit relations on the August Bank Holiday weekend, and the last week of the school holidays, anoraks were the must-have things to pack!

@Peanut006 How's your lad Michelle?  I do hope he's not in too much pain and is feeling at least safe and a bit better at home.

Morning Jane & everyone, gosh it was warm last night wasn’t it? We had the fan going all night and still too warm.

Our grandson is doing ok, I text him yesterday, he said he was fine. He has not taken any painkillers since he came home just antibiotics. His mum says he has not eaten much yet, he is having the same mushed food as his baby sister for next few weeks. I suggested she spoke to her Dr about getting him some high calorie/protein drinks, my dad at something like that when he was really ill I seem to remember. He isn’t a teenager that can do with losing weight really, he needs the calories 

Michelle

• Like 14

12 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Morning Jane & everyone, gosh it was warm last night wasn’t it? We had the fan going all night and still too warm.

Our grandson is doing ok, I text him yesterday, he said he was fine. He has not taken any painkillers since he came home just antibiotics. His mum says he has not eaten much yet, he is having the same mushed food as his baby sister for next few weeks. I suggested she spoke to her Dr about getting him some high calorie/protein drinks, my dad at something like that when he was really ill I seem to remember. He isn’t a teenager that can do with losing weight really, he needs the calories 

Michelle

Bless him, still such a worry for you all but it seems he’s on the mend. I hope he doesn’t suffer any anxiety in the future due to this.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

Good to hear that he is doing OK, but it is still a worrying time for all of you. I hope he makes a complete recovery.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Morning all, proper misty looking Autumn looking day! Still going to be high 20’s here but it’s sopping wet in my garden at the moment, I’m delaying putting my washing out as the grass is soaked! 

I actually slept well once I got to sleep, I did pull the curtains in the afternoon in our bedroom which helps. 

• Like 4

Morning everyone,

What has happened to the weather? It is still warm down here and expected to get to mid twentys again, but it's turned cloudy and the wind is back! I didn't sleep well, I woke up about 3 am and after tossing and turning got up an hour later.

Only a week now til we head up to Southampton and I am not ready. I don't know how it has crept up on me. I get back from our cruise and have just over a week before I head off again to Sicily with OH to visit his family.

Hope everyone manages to stay cool and safe in this weather.

• Like 9

Morning all 🙂

@Beckett it is true ,the famous Sunderland sea fret where you see naff all .

It was 16.c that morning and 16,c in the afternoon .😉

Talk about things that come in 3s ? We had the small TV give up , then the fridge freezer

but happy to say that got delivered yesterday and is working fine.

Unlike our CH boiler which died on us yesterday, so after 29 years ,we now need a new

one. There will be a bit more work due to the gas pipe being on 15mm and the new ones

using 20mm feed .

Apart from that we are fine and treat us self to a chippy meal  , got in the car and  our 

car temp read 31.c due to it parked in the sun but once we had been going for about

five minutes it then read 28c which was still hot and we were glad to get back home

into the shade .

On TV they said this weather will break up on Sunday and records show the last time

September was like this around here was in 1911 .

What were they doing back then to cause global warming ??🤔🤔

Anyway chill out and have a good day folks🙂

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning All

I hate this weather!

Morning Jane.

We were both sun worshippers until I got basal cell skin cancer on my face now we avoid the sun.

It has always been the humidity indoors that I don't like.

It is sunny and 18°C at the moment.

I hope you and all my friends on here are safe and well.

Graham xx

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1