P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

I am in shock though re your post  ------ there is actually a reputable radio news channel !!!!! 

I may tell you about it sometime but it is associated with a famous broadsheet newspaper that is not the torygraph. Only on DAB radio though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

I may tell you about it sometime but it is associated with a famous broadsheet newspaper that is not the torygraph. Only on DAB radio though.

I think I know which station you are referring to, but I wouldn’t call it reputable given who owns it. 

8 hours ago, pete14 said:

I'm aware of it but haven't listened to it - confirmed R4 listener for most of my life.   Presumably it's not like certain other national radio and TV channels pushing out nothing but bile and hatred?  I'm not happy about the ownership of said broadsheet, but I do have a subscription because it does have a very wide news and general coverage without the nasty slant of the other non-pink broadsheet.

• Like 3

If the radio station being referred to is the one I’m thinking of, I must say that it has some interesting features 

News article are covered in depth, not raced through breathlessly, ready for the next guest.  Always remember the publisher and where they are coming from and be prepared to pick out the non-hyperbolic reality

Ive learnt a lot from assorted half-hour *stories of our times*, available as podcasts.  
It’s good for sleepless nights.  I used to switch on BBC world service but this is much less repetitive 

PS - Why are we being coy?  There’s no restriction on discussing radio stations, is there?

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

If the radio station being referred to is the one I’m thinking of, I must say that it has some interesting features 

News article are covered in depth, not raced through breathlessly, ready for the next guest.  Always remember the publisher and where they are coming from and be prepared to pick out the non-hyperbolic reality

Ive learnt a lot from assorted half-hour *stories of our times*, available as podcasts.  
It’s good for sleepless nights.  I used to switch on BBC world service but this is much less repetitive 

PS - Why are we being coy?  There’s no restriction on discussing radio stations, is there?

I don’t really know why I was not upfront about naming Times Radio but I just felt the hint was preferable. Despite the ownership of the paper, I think it gives good news coverage but the presenters are more informal than on R4 as they don’t have the apparent requirement for complete seriousness. However, as with every media outlet, selective listening could give grounds for complaints of bias if listeners have such an agenda.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I don’t really know why I was not upfront about naming Times Radio but I just felt the hint was preferable. Despite the ownership of the paper, I think it gives good news coverage but the presenters are more informal than on R4 as they don’t have the apparent requirement for complete seriousness. However, as with every media outlet, selective listening could give grounds for complaints of bias if listeners have such an agenda.

Have you tried the weekly Today podcast by Nick Robinson and Amol Rajan? 
It’s extremely good, very incisive and pretty informal!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/p0gg4k6r

• Like 4

Morning all,

Heavy showers down here, but not cold at 11c.

My week has just got busier, along with the birthdays this week (four), I am meeting friends for lunch today and had a text last night from another friend who's travelling down to Cornwall and wondering if I was free to catch up. There's no let up over the weekend either, at least I haven't got time to be bored.

Hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 7

A 7.c dull day here ,nothing on my planner either apart from doing nothing .

Doing nothing is ok but you never know when you will finish .

So today will be filled with things like planning my next visit to our local chippy 

Important things like ..Will it be fish & chips or sausage and what day to go ?

What time shall we light the Christmas tree today ?

Thinking about it ,it's busy enough for me .

Take it easy and have a good day  everyone .🙂

Hope @Angel57 is feeling ok and @Peanut006   hozzie visit went ok 🙂

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

It's all a bit criptic for me. LBC is what I listen to in the car. Not long before this hand appears, presses the button and some pop ensemble start banging out noise.Radio 4 is normally some posh bloke talking polly ticks. On Sunday a paper is 4 quid and full of adverts. I only buy big papers now when the shark needs emptying.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kalos said:

So today will be filled with things like planning my next visit to our local chippy 

Periodontist this morning. Possibly the last time. £400 an hour. Lots of folk don't earn that in a week. I had an extraction last week. I probably spent £2k to save that tooth. At 74, lots need to fall out before I can't eat. Bah..humbug...merry blooming Christmas to dentists everywhere.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Periodontist this morning. Possibly the last time. £400 an hour. Lots of folk don't earn that in a week. I had an extraction last week. I probably spent £2k to save that tooth. At 74, lots need to fall out before I can't eat. Bah..humbug...merry blooming Christmas to dentists everywhere.

Have you thought of having your gums removed and just keeping the teeth ? 😉

Joking apart I hope you get sorted soon .

Did you know Dick Turpin was a dentist ? He used to rob people at gum point 🤣

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, kalos said:

I will try just using them to eat and smile. They may last a bit longer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Hospital visit went fine, results 2-4 weeks so fingers crossed all is good

Michelle

• Like 15

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

I have many crowns done on NHS prices and 3 implants costing £7000 private.

Dentist has now gone private only £130 for check up and hygienist 😲🤑.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kalos said:

Thank you @kalos I’m not too bad - just feels like a really bad cold.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

My periodontist is going to charge £300 ph and not £400 and will work his little socks off to do half hour sessions. I bet he thought " this golden goose is starting to get a bit ratty."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kalos said:

He said " what have you done to your hand ? ". I said Specsavers got a bit greedy. His price has reduced...a bit.🤣

• Haha 5

36 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I asked for a wisdom tooth implant but was told I'm a lost cause.

• Haha 12