P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

We have a relatively balmy -4˚C this morning, a hard frost, clear skies and it's bin day! Forecast is that we can also look forward to -4˚C tomorrow. Decided to be busy inside today!

Once upon a time the lyric was "Stay young and beautiful, if you want to be loved!" Now that we're fully paid up members of the "Wisdom Club" (membership comes to us all with age)... it is more like (Keep warm and comfortable, it you want to be cosy!)

Keep warm... it could be a three pairs of socks day! 🥶🥵

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

@Adawn47

Good to know that Frank is getting better albeit slowly. 

Take care of yourself, a cold is something that you could have done without.

It is a cold snowy morning here.  I hope that it clears up later.

I was greeted with this when I got up this morning,

I'm just glad that I put the car in the garage when I got in last night.

20240116_061916.thumb.jpg.fb8fcaed7107b3d8d8c2af1b83d2ebc9.jpg

Yeh much the same here -1 and a light covering of snow

• Like 4

Avril, Glad to hear that Frank is improving and hope your colds get better soon.

It's -1c down here this morning, but clear blue sky and sun.

I received a phone call yesterday with my MRI results, so at least I didn't have to go round the houses again. Ithen spent a lot of time trying to sort out travel insurance. According to the oncology nurse who rang my scan shows treatment reaction, so not all good news, but not bad either, and will have another scan in six months. Now that is sorted I will get on with my packing, time is ticking by.

Take care and stay warm.

• Like 12

15 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

The double bed is huge. Cabin is great. We have our normal inside. Big TV perfectly positioned on the wall opposite the bed

Very international passenger mix. I've heard plenty of US guests, UK and German already. 

Seems to 'be a group on a golfing type escape as well

Embarkation took less than 10 mins

Waiters walking round offering cocktails everywhere 

Seafood buffet welcome dinner tonight

Very hot on hygiene and washing hands at the moment

Captain said an unknown virus being tested at the laboratory still is in South Africa currently - pool will be closed for first few days at least

And buffet all the food will be served 

I can't believe how little walking we have to do to get anywhere. Hardly any stairs to climb and hardly anywhere to have to walk far to at all

I've pre-booked 4 speciality meals plus just added an Italian Opera speciality meal

Also I've booked some spin classes which are FOC. We pay for those on P and O. But of course this cruise is significantly more expensive than P and O. 

However drinks are included and seem very good quality and gratuities are included

Very impressed so far though

Entertainment will be limited but everything else will be high quality it seems

Even the buffet  seems very refined

I looked on the Azamara site yesterday and they seem to heavily discount cruises up to 5 months to go, currently discounting up to early June. I don’t know if there is a price guarantee or not but I wouldn’t be too pleased if I had booked at full price. The discounted price being all inclusive is quite good.

• Like 1

Just back from the school which was a lot easier than I expected thanks to my nephew,.  When I said that I thought that I would go via  the main road rather than coming back through our estate he told me to go our normal way because "everyone gets onto the main road when the weather is bad"  We got to school with plenty of time to spare but on the way home the local radio was reporting big hold ups on the route that I would have taken so the 15 year old knows best 🤫

• Like 8

Quiet day today, light covering of snow and -1c.

Yesterday I organised our airport to hotel Cape Town shuttle for 2 weeks time. We were a bit annoyed that after we booked the hotel a few weeks ago, through a comparison site, the confirmation sent to us said for 1 person and 1 child under 0 years 😂. We emailed the hotel and they want to charge us extra, it’s only works out at an extra £15 but will have a discussion at check in.

My wife is a bit despondent she was hoping to lose half a stone in January before our cruise. She is doing dry January ( I’m doing moist January ie cutting back), 800 calories a day, time restricted eating and upped her exercise but has only lost 3lbs and nothing the last 5 days 😡

• Like 4

Good Morning Everyone

It's still -4c here but sunny so I expect that temperature will rise quite quickly. No snow though much to my disappointment.

@Adawn47 Avril, sorry about your and Frank's colds but that aside you sound like a different woman! It's so good to hear your lovely sense of humour again. Please send my best wishes to Frank.

@grapau27 and Pauline. I hope you're both ok and/or enjoying yourselves wherever you are.

Stay warm and safe everyone and mind the slippery roads and pavements. Jane xx

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

My wife is a bit despondent she was hoping to lose half a stone in January before our cruise. She is doing dry January

Yep not easy those Dry Januarys 😉🙃

c2161fbd4b6b77861b4c2873e6246c61.thumb.jpg.9cc7ad32b91c461891b418049d36ffcf.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

42 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I looked on the Azamara site yesterday and they seem to heavily discount cruises up to 5 months to go, currently discounting up to early June. I don’t know if there is a price guarantee or not but I wouldn’t be too pleased if I had booked at full price. The discounted price being all inclusive is quite good.

Edited by Bloodaxe
Duplicate post

42 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

They did have a price guarantee in the US but I don't think it has ever applied in the UK, it's not really all inclusive speciality restaurants and premium drinks are extra charge.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

Good morning everyone, hope you are all well on this extremely cold day. We woke up to a light covering of snow but it has now rained and all disappeared. Still really cold though and seems quite windy outside.

We have progress in hour house, flooring is down except the dining room, kitchen and conservatory(which we are having knocked into the kitchen with a proper extension making it larger). Most of skirting boards are on and they are hanging doors today. It’s beginning to look like a house at last.

Avril, I am glad Frank is home and feeling better.

To everyone on their holidays I hope you are having a lovely time and hopefully it is warmer than here.

Take care everyone 

Michelle

• Like 12

2 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

We have a relatively balmy -4˚C this morning, a hard frost, clear skies and it's bin day! Forecast is that we can also look forward to -4˚C tomorrow. Decided to be busy inside today!

Once upon a time the lyric was "Stay young and beautiful, if you want to be loved!" Now that we're fully paid up members of the "Wisdom Club" (membership comes to us all with age)... it is more like (Keep warm and comfortable, it you want to be cosy!)

Keep warm... it could be a three pairs of socks day! 🥶🥵

Same on the East side TTL.Started the car up at 7 to take it for it's service and MOT.Bit sluggish turning over as I hardly use it nowdays.430 quid for basically an oil change and a few filters.We recommend new brake fluid sir 65 quid extra er no thanks.But it does lose it's viscothingybob,nah it still stops OK.Perhaps I'll find out when I drive over the Alps in March,lol.

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

Good to read your cheerful post, Avril - life is obviously getting back to normal for you both.  

I too have been awake since about 4, but had had 6 hours so not complaining, and now off to make the first mug of tea and back to bed for a bit of a read (just got into the Vera books, and loving them).

I turn over when she comes on the telly,she looks like a female Columbo.And she hasn't found Grahams favrit Italian in the Toon yet.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Same on the East side TTL.Started the car up at 7 to take it for it's service and MOT.Bit sluggish turning over as I hardly use it nowdays.430 quid for basically an oil change and a few filters.We recommend new brake fluid sir 65 quid extra er no thanks.But it does lose it's viscothingybob,nah it still stops OK.Perhaps I'll find out when I drive over the Alps in March,lol.

Our car had done under 3k and year before had the full service and the young new guy 

working at my regular garage also seemed disappointed that I only wanted an oil

change and not the interim service as I will go for the full service again next year .

" Er ,but  if you think that's wise lots of other fluids could  deteriorate"

I was thinking the very same about all those light bulbs 🤔🙃

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Yes, I have never watched her on TV, but daughter recommended the books and I am enjoying them, and certainly picture Brenda Blethyn as a perfect Vera in appearance and style, but still don't really want to watch them.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, kalos said:

Our car had done under 3k and year before had the full service and the young new guy 

working at my regular garage also seemed disappointed that I only wanted an oil

change and not the interim service as I will go for the full service again next year .

" Er ,but  if you think that's wise lots of other fluids could  deteriorate"

I was thinking the very same about all those light bulbs 🤔🙃

Can't complain I suppose.This is the 4 yearly major service with all the others being a lot cheaper.Better than the old days with 2 or 3 a year.

• Like 3

We had a light snow covering this morning and it was snowing a little earlier on, however the sun came out and the snow on my car has now melted, but we now have sunshine and snow flurries at the same time, might be a snow bow somewhere.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

I turn over when she comes on the telly,she looks like a female Columbo.And she hasn't found Grahams favrit Italian in the Toon yet.

Where is Graham....I bet a cruise from Miami.🤣

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Where is Graham....I bet a cruise from Miami.🤣

Not on a jet ski like Del boy I hope 😊   He tends to do the same as me and will tell you

all about it once back home .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

We had a light snow covering this morning and it was snowing a little earlier on, however the sun came out and the snow on my car has now melted, but we now have sunshine and snow flurries at the same time, might be a snow bow somewhere.

We had a few snowflakes earlier this morning but it is lovely now but blummin cowd.

I bought a snow shovel yesterday and by the time I got home it had melted.

• Haha 6